PDA

View Full Version : Agenda for the Tail of the Dragon Take 11!

Joel
05-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Dragon Number 11 - Still time to register http://www.carolinasvoa.com/​

2016 Tail of the Dragon Agenda

Thursday June 2

Dinner arrangements to be announced for those coming in early Thursday. Either at the Alamo or Park Vista Time to be 6:00 pm or thereabouts. Need to know if you are coming so we can make arrangements with the restaurant for seating.

Friday June 3 Tail of the Dragon Driving Day
Leaving hotel for Tellico Plains about 8:15-8:30 am. Rendezvous in Tellico Plains about 11:00 am. Arrive Tellico Plains about 11:00-11:30. Break for gas and food and meet up with other groups. Leave for Gatlinburg no later than 12:30 pm. Possible stop at Deal’s Gap
Tail of the Dragon, Cherahola Skyway, drive to Gatlinburg. Total distance about 225 miles. Trip about 5 hours with stops.

Arrive Greystone Lodge in Gatlinburg about 3:30 – 4:00 pm.

Dinner at the hotel at 6:00 pm. Cash bar and Tex Mex food.

Saturday June 4

Leave Cherokee and Fontana Lake about 8:30 am. Police will help us get through Gatlinburg. Drive to Cherokee and Fontana. Lunch at Fontana Village. Fontana to Tail of Dragon and back to hotel. Drive about 150 miles. Four hour drive time plus lunch stops. Be sure car is full of gas Friday night.

Return to hotel by late afternoon – freshen up before parade.

Parade lineup will start at 4:45pm at staging area. Cars should stagger on road so the photographer can get each car individually. NOT side by side. Dinner at Cherokee Grill at about 5:30. Parking is set up behind the Cherokee Grill. Return to hotel after dinner so individual merriment can begin.

Sunday June 5

Pick up videos at hotel desk. Check out, check cars, say goodbye, and head home or drive around the area on your own. Smile all the way home and plan for coming back next year.

XSTAR
05-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Is there a group meetings at the Cracker Barrell on Campbell Station in Knoxville like years past? 1st year in 5 w/out a Viper...bummed I'll miss this year but will likely swing over to catch up with some.

Stretch
05-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Bummed I will not be there this year. You guys have fun!!

uvbnbit
05-25-2016, 05:50 AM
We'll be in Thursday eve, hopefully by 6. ....or thereabouts :confused:

TCurtner
05-25-2016, 06:48 AM
Is there a group meetings at the Cracker Barrell on Campbell Station in Knoxville like years past? 1st year in 5 w/out a Viper...bummed I'll miss this year but will likely swing over to catch up with some.

I only KNOW of two other Vipers besides myself that want to meet up - if there are more, i'd sure like to know. Tentatively, we are meeting in Townsend at www.countrysteakneggs.com around 7:30-8:00 and awaiting the group coming from Gatlinburg. Only three players for this plan so far. Subject to change for the Campbell Station meet-up IF there are more that want to. Gotta let us know soon...

uvbnbit
05-26-2016, 06:19 AM
I/we met at Cracker Barrel on Friday morn to lead that group (as many as 30+ Vipers) for the last 10 years. Decided to let someone else take over that duty starting this new decade for this event....:lol2:

TCurtner
05-26-2016, 09:24 AM
I/we met at Cracker Barrel on Friday morn to lead that group (as many as 30+ Vipers) for the last 10 years. Decided to let someone else take over that duty starting this new decade for this event....:lol2:

Do we want to do that again this year? I will be happy to meet there (Campbell Station Cracker Barrel), and lead out so that we can meet up with Joel's group from Gatlinburg? Or do we just want to stage there for old times' sake?
:bth_smiley_formula1

Joel
05-28-2016, 08:03 PM
I have not heard from anyone who wants to meet in Knoxville so I am making an assumption that no one will be there. We will be in Tellico about 10:30 or 11:00 and leave for the Skyway. It is about 90 miles from Gatlinburg to Tellico Plains via Townsend, Parkway, Vonore, Highway 360 to Tellico. We will leave the hotel around 8:00 to 8:15. From Tellico it is 120 miles over the Skyway to Tapoco, back to Townsend and Gatlinburg. With a couple of stops we should be back at the hotel about 5:00 or before in time for dinner at 6:00 pm at the hotel.

TCurtner
05-30-2016, 09:09 AM
I have not heard from anyone who wants to meet in Knoxville so I am making an assumption that no one will be there. We will be in Tellico about 10:30 or 11:00 and leave for the Skyway. It is about 90 miles from Gatlinburg to Tellico Plains via Townsend, Parkway, Vonore, Highway 360 to Tellico. We will leave the hotel around 8:00 to 8:15. From Tellico it is 120 miles over the Skyway to Tapoco, back to Townsend and Gatlinburg. With a couple of stops we should be back at the hotel about 5:00 or before in time for dinner at 6:00 pm at the hotel.

Sounds good Joel - neither have i heard from any of the incoming groups on Thursday about extra outings. So we'll (the few from Knoxville area not staying in Gatlinburg) just meet up with you as you come through Townsend on Friday morning - you think around 9 ish?

Joel
05-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Yep. Depending on when we leave but I'll be in touch.

1TONY1
06-02-2016, 11:29 AM
Yep. Depending on when we leave but I'll be in touch.

So, departing the normal C-store in Tellico by 12:30 to the skyway then TOD ?

TCurtner
06-02-2016, 11:34 AM
So, departing the normal C-store in Tellico by 12:30 to the skyway then TOD ?

as i last understood it - the Exxon in TPlains around 11:30 ish, then on from there. Texted Joel, in Oak Ridge on the road right now...

Snakebit
06-02-2016, 12:33 PM
We made it to Cincy before hitting rain while we grabbed some Bob Evans. It's a deluge so we are waiting it out before going back out to the car. Lol Hope we can still get there in time for dinner tonight, but will depend on how much more of the wet stuff we hit the rest of the way. Safe travels to all!

1TONY1
06-02-2016, 08:01 PM
as i last understood it - the Exxon in TPlains around 11:30 ish, then on from there. Texted Joel, in Oak Ridge on the road right now...

Thanks. Trying to figure it out but we have a wedding this weekend too.

TCurtner
06-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Thanks. Trying to figure it out but we have a wedding this weekend too.

Hope you make it - Friday plans: the Gatlinburg vipers (staying at Greystone) are eating breakfast then heading little river road (or 321) to Townsend where they will meet up with a few of us at the Country Steak and Egg place (~9-9:30), then off to the parkway and over to TellicoPlains (11:30ish) then we'll go Cherohala to Dragon and back to parkway then back to Gatlinburg for the evening meal at 6.
Come on up Tony!