PDA

View Full Version : Stock ECU for Emmissions - drive time?

Ninjazx71
05-20-2016, 08:58 AM
Hi guys,

In the crappy state of Illinois, we need to go in for emissions testing every other year. This will be my first time heading in with the Viper and it currently has the Mopar ECU installed. I'm pretty sure I read that will be an immediate fail due to some of the settings in there, right? Assuming that's the case, I was going to swap the stock ECU back into the car to get the testing done. When putting this back in, do I need to drive the car for any given amount of time to get everything back into Ready state or anything?

Steve M
05-20-2016, 09:06 AM
Mopar PCM won't pass a plug-in test...it is hard to tell how long it'll take for all of the monitors to set as "ready" in the stock PCM, but I'd guess it'll take at least 100 miles or so, maybe more. It'll likely also depend on how many cycles you do, so don't just drive 100 miles in one pass and expect everything to pass. There are a set number of events that the PCM is looking for that constitutes a complete drive cycle...I'm guessing that's something that would be listed in a service manual, but I don't have one.

Ninjazx71
05-20-2016, 09:09 AM
Mopar PCM won't pass a plug-in test...it is hard to tell how long it'll take for all of the monitors to set as "ready" in the stock PCM, but I'd guess it'll take at least 100 miles or so, maybe more. It'll likely also depend on how many cycles you do, so don't just drive 100 miles in one pass and expect everything to pass. There are a set number of events that the PCM is looking for that constitutes a complete drive cycle...I'm guessing that's something that would be listed in a service manual, but I don't have one.

Thanks Steve! This is good timing anyhow since my HPT is being delivered today and I'll need to put the stock PCM back in for that too. ;-)

RedTanRT/10
05-20-2016, 09:09 AM
I had to do my first test about a year and a half ago in CA.

Here is what Dan Cragin at SPT recommended; swap the ECU, clear all the codes, then drive the viper 50-70 miles so the computer/OBD shows "ready."

Make sure when drive you keep the rev's (while in gear) at or above 1,500 rpm. I've got belangers and Lou's cat back too, if you lug the motor, cruise in 5th gear, you'll trip a CEL. good luck! Mike

Ninjazx71
05-20-2016, 09:10 AM
I had to do my first test about a year and a half ago in CA.

Here is what Dan Cragin at SPT recommended; swap the ECU, clear all the codes, then drive the viper 50-70 miles so the computer/OBD shows "ready."

Make sure when drive you keep the rev's (while in gear) at or above 1,500 rpm. I've got belangers and Lou's cat back too, if you lug the motor, cruise in 5th gear, you'll trip a CEL. good luck! Mike

Very good to know Mike, thanks! I've got a full Bellanger setup too so I'll keep an eye out for a CEL.

RedTanRT/10
05-20-2016, 09:15 AM
If you trip a CEL, you'll need to clear and start another drive cycle again. To Steve's comment about cycles, I ran from Dan's shop home (in 4th gear on the freeway) for about 60 miles. Probably had 2 or 3 more starts and drove each time 1 mile. That seemed to get the OBD ready. Good luck

Ninjazx71
05-20-2016, 09:25 AM
If you trip a CEL, you'll need to clear and start another drive cycle again. To Steve's comment about cycles, I ran from Dan's shop home (in 4th gear on the freeway) for about 60 miles. Probably had 2 or 3 more starts and drove each time 1 mile. That seemed to get the OBD ready. Good luck

Are you able to check whether everything is in "ready state" with a handheld code scanner, or is the only way to have it checked out at the emissions facility?

Steve M
05-20-2016, 09:53 AM
Are you able to check whether everything is in "ready state" with a handheld code scanner, or is the only way to have it checked out at the emissions facility?

You'll be able to check with the HPT scanner.

ACtechOPS
05-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Steve M, Ninjazx71 - Service manual, chapter 25 has great explanation of trip/drive cycle and what is monitored. I could cut and paste it all, but easier to download the manual from by drop box account if you need it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sj5rieid0vjs3x/2005-ZB-SM.pdf?dl=0