PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Seca Track day video May 14/15

RedTanRT/10
05-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Went to Laguna Seca for my 2nd time last weekend. NASA event with "unlimited sound."

Seems like all the viper folks were either in New Orleans or busy with other things to do so I had the only viper there, with the exception of a Bondurant ACR on display. If you look at the video, my sessions were filled with Porsche's and BMW's

Weather was great, mostly overcast, light wind, temps in the 60's.

Passing action and good views of the track. If you've never been there, its really a fun and challenging, and great for vipers with some good opportunities to hammer the throttle through the gears. Front straight has a blind crest, if you get a good launch off the last turn, starting in second, my Gen IV is hitting about 140 before you have to brake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0TIjUsfOTs

str5010
05-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Thanks for posting the video, looks like a nice track day! Your car looks great too. Forgeline wheels?

RedTanRT/10
05-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Thanks! Yes forgelines

Dr.Ron
05-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Looked like fun!
What tires were you running. I didn't hear any tire squeal, so I assume some sort of slick tire?

Ron

RedTanRT/10
05-20-2016, 04:28 PM
Ron, running on Hoosier R7's. I hear more from the front splitter on some of the curbs, particularly at the top of the corkscrew, than I hear tire noise. They stick great

rw99
05-20-2016, 04:29 PM
Hey, Mike... I knew I'd regret not making it to this one. Too few opportunities for high dB days at Seca, and it sucks to miss one. Thanks for the vid, it was fun to watch. Did you get many clean laps? Your group looked like it had a really wide laptime span :(

If you're catching 140ish on the straight you're hitting that T11 exit nicely! Thumbs up, buddy!

Rich

Dr.Ron
05-20-2016, 04:43 PM
Nice. I'd say the car is planted then!!

Boba Fett
05-20-2016, 05:58 PM
Great vid! nice of the Porsche to signal

quickster2
05-20-2016, 06:18 PM
Frigging awesome thanks for posting!

RedTanRT/10
05-20-2016, 07:12 PM
Hey, Mike... I knew I'd regret not making it to this one. Too few opportunities for high dB days at Seca, and it sucks to miss one. Thanks for the vid, it was fun to watch. Did you get many clean laps? Your group looked like it had a really wide laptime span :(

If you're catching 140ish on the straight you're hitting that T11 exit nicely! Thumbs up, buddy!

Rich

Rich, yeah wish you and some of the Norcal guys could have come. They only added HPDE 4 about 5-6 weeks before the event. Everyone I reached out to were either going to NOLA or we're busy.

I told Todd, there were only 24 in the group, 2/3rds BMW-Porsche's. By the 2nd session Saturday I could get 2-3 clean laps per session. NASA didn't time the sessions but grid'd the fastest cars first. So after the warm up lap , I got clean laps for a while till we started to lap the slower cars.

As far as video, I think having other cars in the picture looks better than the qualifying lap looks, unless your as fast as Todd, Daruis, Probst or Winkler. I got down to 1:39, long way to go to catch them!

Great vid! nice of the Porsche to signal

Boba, in the video, and the lighting, it looks like a turn single in some of the footage, but some (all?) of the higher end 911's have a left-right sequential when they hit the brakes hard. First time I saw that was about 4 years ago. Not sure if its a switch or if the do it naturally. Not that I want it on my viper, but it definitely gets your attention when they brake hard in front of you.

fuggles
05-21-2016, 10:46 PM
Sunday driving with your elbow out the window for sure. hehe Nice and smooth. What was that dp looking car? Couldn't make it out.

Arizona Vipers
05-24-2016, 02:34 AM
Awesome vid. Thanks for posting! Do you do a lot of nasa events in Cali?
I'm in Arizona, but would be willing to meet you out there in any SoCal event...

RedTanRT/10
05-24-2016, 08:44 AM
Ran a couple with NASA since January. Also run with Speed Ventures, plus a couple of other groups. There's a core group of 5-8 that track vipers out here

The SoCal club website is usually up to date on various track days. Ben K posts events. Check out; SoCal vipers.com

A few of us are heading to Buttonwillow on 6-14 but the event is now sold out

Hope to catch up after the summer heat! Guessing we may have met at Chuckwalla? Mike

LmeaViper
05-25-2016, 07:48 PM
good video...thks

Simms
05-25-2016, 10:17 PM
Thanks for posting!

Arizona Vipers
05-27-2016, 01:28 AM
Ran a couple with NASA since January. Also run with Speed Ventures, plus a couple of other groups. There's a core group of 5-8 that track vipers out here

The SoCal club website is usually up to date on various track days. Ben K posts events. Check out; SoCal vipers.com

A few of us are heading to Buttonwillow on 6-14 but the event is now sold out

Hope to catch up after the summer heat! Guessing we may have met at Chuckwalla? Mike

Thanks! I think we did meet. I had a red 2013 and a red/white Gen 2 there. I have a shaved head! lol

Fourtrax250r
05-29-2016, 01:31 PM
great video and great driving, thanks for posting!!

red heat
06-08-2016, 07:49 PM
great video.....very smooth and consistent