PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Tail Light Surround

Jack B
01-01-2014, 06:22 PM
I am having my tail light surround painted black. I thought the following picture would help those contemplating the same. This is one description of one method for this task, I am sure there are other techniques.

There are several miscellaneous clips and connectors involved in the removal of the surround, those are very obvious and simple in the scheme of things, the following are the main elements of the surround removal.

Everything starts by pulling back the carpet liner in the trunk that sits against the rear of the trunk.

1. The top edge of the tail light surround has a series of push/pull pins, merely pull those. Once the pin is removed, pull the base of the pin also.

2. Once the push pins are removed, you have to remove the following:

A. You must loosen/remove the four plastic spinners (inside trunk) that attach to the studs of each tail light assembly. The holes in the trunk liner for those studs are denoted by the four red circles in the picture.

B. The only thing that now holds the the surround in are the three clips on each side. The holes for those clips are denoted by the three blue circles in the picture. The trick to pop out the surround is to put pressure on the a tail light stud that protrudes into the trunk while using a small plastic pry bar directly on the area where a clip is located. You want to make sure the stud you are pushing on and the clip area you are prying on, are close together. You are prying between the body and the outside edge of the surround, again a plastic upholstery pry tool.

ViperSmith
01-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Jack, thanks. I am looking to wrap or get it painted myself.

What are you looking at as far as cost to get it painted, out of curiosity?

Jack B
01-01-2014, 08:09 PM
I have a friend with a body shop, I supplied him with the paint info. He always treats me right so I did not ask the cost. I am also having him paint the cross brace red. That comes off in less than five minutes.

Jack, thanks. I am looking to wrap or get it painted myself.

What are you looking at as far as cost to get it painted, out of curiosity?

F2V
01-03-2014, 10:22 AM
.... I am also having him paint the cross brace red. That comes off in less than five minutes.

Good choice Jack...:o

Jack B
01-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Where did you get the emblem.

Good choice Jack...:o

F2V
01-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Where did you get the emblem.

Jack, go to page 5, post 132 in attached thread...Mark Trostle installed it on my X brace, while he was doing the graphics on my car at PREFIX. I'll look into it...no promises.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/668157-My-2013-GTS-by-Prefix...a-work-in-progress-(pics)

Jack B
01-04-2014, 10:59 PM
While waiting for the surround to be painted I decided to add some sound-proofing to the trunk area. I bought 12 sq ft (Summit #sum-879002) of sound deadening mat. I have a SRT so I am not sure the same applies to the GTS, however, there is no sound-proofing in the trunk area except on the top surface. I am just guessing, but, the trunk area is probably where most of the road noise comes from. I used all 12 sq ft and probably need another 5-6 sq ft.It is a pain to install, it has a self-adhesive, however, the trunk interior has so many irregular surface, it is a massive cut/paste project.

SilveRT8
01-04-2014, 11:30 PM
While waiting for the surround to be painted I decided to add some sound-proofing to the trunk area. I bought 12 sq ft (Summit #sum-879002) of sound deadening mat. I have a SRT so I am not sure the same applies to the GTS, however, there is no sound-proofing in the trunk area except on the top surface. I am just guessing, but, the trunk area is probably where most of the road noise comes from. I used all 12 sq ft and probably need another 5-6 sq ft.It is a pain to install, it has a self-adhesive, however, the trunk interior has so many irregular surface, it is a massive cut/paste project.

Pics of this sound-proofing would be nice !

Jack B
01-05-2014, 10:49 AM
I will post them, but, it will be hard to see. The material is 1/8 sheet and black which is the same color as the shell.

It would be interesting to know if the GTS is different.

Pics of this sound-proofing would be nice !

Rocket
01-05-2014, 01:33 PM
I haven't seen any pics of the insulation behind the seats in a Gen 5, but if it is anything like a Gen 4 there is minimal insulation directly behind the seats and this is also a big source for road noise.