PDA

View Full Version : Glacier National Park / Banff - Recomendations

Rocket
05-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks in advance for the help.

A conflict caused me to not be able to road trip to New Orleans - so going to head the complete opposite direction - Glacier National Park in Montana and Banff - starting the journey out of Boise.

Looking for recommendations on the best way to see Glacier / Banff, places to stay/eat, roads to not miss etc?? Thinking about going in the July time-frame, although that is not set in stone.

And since I believe all threads should have a pic - a shot from desert of AZ:
http://driveviper.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Tucson_Cruise.JPG

TA Two Oh
05-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Welcome to my backyard! I'll craft a response when I get a moment. Spectacular scenery everywhere. Some amazing driving roads. Unfortunately, in July, no shortage of crowds as well! Our speed limits are low but at least they're higher than 15 MPH!!! Some Waterton and Banff pics to tide you over till July. 17307173081730917310

J TNT
05-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Go visit Lake Louise and Jasper ! You'll enjoy the scenery and wild life !
By the way anytime Hollywood wants to film the Swedish Alps , they typically go to Lake Louise.....lol !
You'll see what I mean when you go ;)

Baked
05-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Make sure you do Logan's Pass (going to the sun road) and you can stay the night in Whitefish and then continue up.

TA Two Oh
05-10-2016, 02:11 PM
I'm not an expert in places to stay or eat. But I know the right roads to take! I suggest doing a loop, to see as much as possible. from Boise, work your way north to Libby Montana -there's no direct route but all the roads to get there are good driving roads. Well, way better than I-15. Once there, National Forest Roads 228 and 92 are killer ... not smooth but epic twists and it's pretty much unpatrolled and not busy. One of the best driving roads in the world. It's an out and back. Then take #37 along the other side of the lake from Libby to #93. Cross into Canada on #93 (Don't forget your passport) then take 93/95 to Radium Hot Springs. It's not on your list but you're going to be right there anyway and it's well worth seeing. Take #93 from Radium to Highway #1, head West to Lake Louise -also not on your list but you can't go to Banff and not also go to Lake Louise!

From there, head north on the Icefields Parkway #83 which is one of the most scenic roads in the world. You can take a specially built bus out onto a Glacier and walk around. There are also several spectacular lakes along that road. It goes up to Jasper, but that may be too far north for you so go up as far as you wish.

Then turn around and head towards Banff. The Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel is what appears to be a Castle in one pic in my first post in this thread. A wonderful place to stay. If you're going to Calgary, you can stay at our home. Take #1A (not the #1) from Canmore straight into Calgary. If you're heading back at that point, take the 1A to #22 to Bragg Creek, then #762 -which is another epic twisty road to not miss!!!- on your way to Waterton and Glacier National Park. The Going to the Sun highway is everything you expect, except that at that time of year it's packed with other people enjoying the scenery. Then make your way back to Boise. Message me if you want more details. It'll be an amazing journey. So much beauty to take in. Thousands of wicked corners. And you'll be out of the Phoenix heat!

I can message you with links to video of the Forestry roads if you'd like.

J TNT
05-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Did that same run on my Sport Bike 10 years ago , the views where amazing. Watch out for Rams and Long Horn goats in Radium springs. ;)

supersnake
05-21-2016, 12:18 AM
Make sure you post and I know a Bunch of us would meet up with you

Rocket
05-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks for all of the input and suggestions - especially TA Two Oh - for the pics and details !!!! I'm firming down the time line as it would be great to meet up and enjoy some of the sights together.

Thanks again and can't wait to hit the roads.