PDA

View Full Version : 3.55 Gears Gen2 - Advice

Gavm360
05-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Can someone point me in the best direction to purchase these. And any tips for install, additional parts etc.

Specifically the speedo calibrate etc.?

Seems like my local viper tech should be able to install

2001 GTS

I've always wanted these and now that I have a challenger hellcat the viper needs a little more shove.

Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks
Gavin

drewsss
05-06-2016, 10:22 AM
This is one of the best mods you can do - you will really see a kick! Good luck!

BlknBlu
05-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Jon B at Partsrack

Bruce

99RT10
05-06-2016, 10:58 AM
I might have a set ready to bolt in. PM me.

SARaptor
05-06-2016, 11:20 AM
interested to read what others respond here. i recently did the 3.55s in my G2, they are a worthwhile mod (BUY THEM!). my only issue/concern is how off my speedo is. I purchased all my parts from JonB including the recalibrator (not sure of official name), but my speed is still 6mph off at 70mph. I am sure the fact that i run a 345/30/19 or 355/30/19 depending on which wheels are on the car doesnt help, i would like to know what others are doing to correct the speed.

2001gts
05-06-2016, 01:50 PM
look up yellr box

http://www.yellr.com/yb_home.htm

thats what most of us use or sct tuner

I have 3.73's with some mods, I like it quite a bit. I'd rather have the 3.55's over the 4.10's but prefer the 3.73/;s

tagoo
05-06-2016, 01:57 PM
I do not believe the SCT tuner can be used to change the speedo calibration. The Yellow Box solution is great. It is cheap (I think I paid less than $150) and it is highly adjustable by changing the dip switch settings. If you work with it, you can get it dead accurate. It may take a few times of trial and error changing the settings and checking with a GPS but it isn't that hard. It is really nice because if you decide to get taller or short tires, you can re-adjust the speedo for that new size of tires. It is not too hard to install, but you do need to splice into a couple of wires near the ECU, but when you are done everything is hidden behind the ECU cover plate.

MalingatorGTS
05-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Like others said, best money for fun mod you can do! Call JonB and there is a full article on the PartsRack website all about gears!

Don't bother with a Viper tech! Find a good Jeep 4x4 guy and call them. It's a Dana rear, most solid Jeep builders can do them with their eyes closed!

For the speedo, for the Gen2, you can't do it with a tuner. JonB has a tap in calibration box that is simple to wire in and adjust for the 3.55s.

Check out the PartsRack.com website! Best $ mod for seat of pants fun!

Gavm360
05-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Appreciate the feedback guys. Sounds like I just need to do it.

SARaptor
05-06-2016, 09:14 PM
look up yellr box

I have 3.73's with some mods, I like it quite a bit. I'd rather have the 3.55's over the 4.10's but prefer the 3.73/;s

Thank for the info, I will order ASAP.

Vprbite
05-06-2016, 09:33 PM
As malingator said, a good 4x4 shop should be able to do them no problem. A GOOD viper tech can. The stories I have heard about some of the Viper techs would worry me though, because you can screw up gears. Also, when you pirchase them, Jon should be able to give you break-in instructions. Proper break-in (as well as good install) should keep you from getting whine. They will need serviced a little more often, but not much, depending on driving, I would think every few years is fine unless you are tracking. Then, more often of course but you know that if you track.

FWIW, I think 3.55s are the way to go. I believe (obviously people have differing opinions) 3.73 is too much and you will be rowing through gears like it's your job. I think 3.55 is just the perfect sweet spot for getting a bunch more oomph without getting unruly or having to shift too much. I had them on my 02 and loved them.

SARaptor, if you did the speedo box, is it the tires throwing off the speed? That's a lot to be off by though. For example, my truck is off by 10% because of the tires but they are huge compared to stock. The difference in the tires you are running isn't that much. Is there any chance you did someone wrong on the install of that box? Worth a double check because i wouldn't think those tires would throw it off by 9%. Remember though, speedometers are allowed to be off by 5mph from the factory. Perhaps yours was off a bit to start? Let us know how it works out for you because others may have that problem.

Geronimo
05-07-2016, 06:46 AM
look up yellr box

I have 3.73's with some mods, I like it quite a bit. I'd rather have the 3.55's over the 4.10's but prefer the 3.73/;sSame here.

dave6666
05-07-2016, 07:12 AM
+1 on 3.73's, depending on tire size. My net is 3.43 with tires.

Ref "viper techs" I bet very few have ever seen a G1/2 car. Let alone they are oil change boys for the most part. Not chassis and powertrain experienced mechanics. So yes, pull the diff yourself and take it to a gear shop.

Also, very important to follow the break-in procedure. When Unitrax did mine it was (2) 20 minute mild drives with complete cool downs between them. And them 500 miles total of no WOT driving. All of which is counter intuitive to a performance go-fast mod. But it will make a huge difference in the life and noise level of your gears.

Finally, doing gears is a good time to install a better diff. Pricey, but while you are in there...

Gavm360
05-07-2016, 09:17 AM
I'd rather avoid the dealer anyways so I'll try the gear / jeep shop route. Have a place I took my lifted truck I can try.

SARaptor
05-07-2016, 03:56 PM
SARaptor, if you did the speedo box, is it the tires throwing off the speed? That's a lot to be off by though. For example, my truck is off by 10% because of the tires but they are huge compared to stock. The difference in the tires you are running isn't that much. Is there any chance you did someone wrong on the install of that box? Worth a double check because i wouldn't think those tires would throw it off by 9%. Remember though, speedometers are allowed to be off by 5mph from the factory. Perhaps yours was off a bit to start? Let us know how it works out for you because others may have that problem.

I agree, it is a lot to be off. I will say it has always been off a bit even before the gears, now it just seems to be off a little more. I would be ok if the miles and speedo were reading slow haha. Regarding the truck comment, i too put bigger tires on my truck (from 32.7 to 35) and the speedo is only off 3mph at 70...and reading slow, so i am good with it lol! i will try this yellr box and see how it works out.

Vprbite
05-07-2016, 05:05 PM
I agree, it is a lot to be off. I will say it has always been off a bit even before the gears, now it just seems to be off a little more. I would be ok if the miles and speedo were reading slow haha. Regarding the truck comment, i too put bigger tires on my truck (from 32.7 to 35) and the speedo is only off 3mph at 70...and reading slow, so i am good with it lol! i will try this yellr box and see how it works out.

Yeah, mine reads 10% low. So I adjust when driving. But if you are reading high then obviously that would be turning your odometer a bit faster.

Double check the install on the box and make sure it's correct. Because the overall difference in those tires shouldn't be a ton. Also, I would send Jon B an email and ask him if he has seen this before. FWIW, it seems like my my speedo is off a smidge in my Gen III as well, and I am running stock wheels and of course newer tires but they can't be that different than the stock run flats. I think also, our speedos (Gen II and my Gen III) are a little tough to read "dead on balls accurate" cause the needle is kinda thick and the notches between the numbers kinda small. So that could account for 1 or 2 mph.

Best of luck. I think gears are an awesome mod. I hope you get this little gremlin figured out. I haven't heard of this being a problem before.

My98RT10
05-08-2016, 12:40 AM
By the way, Dan Cragin confirmed here in another thread, that speedo can be corrected with a tune for Gen 2 Viper. No need for a whatever colored box ;-)

Vprbite
05-08-2016, 04:36 AM
Well dan would know. I think he worked on a Viper once or twice.

challenger
05-09-2016, 10:02 AM
3.73 with 19's in the back is perfect. And Yellr box works great and records your top MPH

Gavm360
05-13-2016, 01:27 PM
thanks to all your feedback I contacted JonB today and have 3.55 gears on its way

If anyone has any Columbus Ohio advice on installers etc. please send my way

Gavin

ultradriver10000
05-31-2016, 09:41 AM
I love my 3:73, a taller DR or 19" wheel makes it perfect.

99RT10
05-31-2016, 05:01 PM
If you want one ready to bolt in, PM me.

http://driveviper.com/classifieds/engine-and-drivetrain/p1540-gen-1-2f2-354-rear-2c-new-clutches.html

ViperRyan
02-09-2017, 08:38 AM
thanks to all your feedback I contacted JonB today and have 3.55 gears on its way

If anyone has any Columbus Ohio advice on installers etc. please send my way

Gavin

I've been going back and forth on this as well. Trying to decide between 3.55 or 3.73 for my GenII with GenV sidewinderII wheels. I spoke with Dan Cragin about this and he said 3.55's were the better route, and also spoke with the shop who will be working on my Viper, Collectors Choice/Snake-Oyl Producst owner Cory Gehling, he also recommended the 3.55 over the 3.73.

I put 3.73 in the back of my TA and love it, but I know the Viper is a different animal. I will probably go with the 3.55, but still having an internal debate on the subject lol.

Boosted Motorsports
02-09-2017, 01:00 PM
I've been going back and forth on this as well. Trying to decide between 3.55 or 3.73 for my GenII with GenV sidewinderII wheels. I spoke with Dan Cragin about this and he said 3.55's were the better route, and also spoke with the shop who will be working on my Viper, Collectors Choice/Snake-Oyl Producst owner Cory Gehling, he also recommended the 3.55 over the 3.73.

I put 3.73 in the back of my TA and love it, but I know the Viper is a different animal. I will probably go with the 3.55, but still having an internal debate on the subject lol.

If you've had that type of gearing before then you kind of know what to expect. My advice would be if you are planning to go FI or keeping the original diameter wheels then stick to the 3.55. If you are going with the newer or larger diameter wheels and staying NA I would opt for the 3.73.

Final factor would be if you plan on going on long roadtrips with the car and care about gas mileage or highway cruising RPM.

Just my 2 cents.

ViperRyan
02-09-2017, 02:35 PM
If you've had that type of gearing before then you kind of know what to expect. My advice would be if you are planning to go FI or keeping the original diameter wheels then stick to the 3.55. If you are going with the newer or larger diameter wheels and staying NA I would opt for the 3.73.

Final factor would be if you plan on going on long roadtrips with the car and care about gas mileage or highway cruising RPM.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply. Right now I do have 19" GenV Sidewinder2 wheels. I have the gearing(3.73) in my Trans Am(LS1), but the Viper is a totally different beast. I've thought about FI, but that's a long ways down, I would do a full head/cam package before doing FI on the car.

What's MPG lol, didn't by the car for it's mpg on the highway. I think both the 3.55/3.73 should have relatively close cruising hwy speeds/rpms in 6th, wouldn't they?

Boosted Motorsports
02-09-2017, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. Right now I do have 19" GenV Sidewinder2 wheels. I have the gearing(3.73) in my Trans Am(LS1), but the Viper is a totally different beast. I've thought about FI, but that's a long ways down, I would do a full head/cam package before doing FI on the car.

What's MPG lol, didn't by the car for it's mpg on the highway. I think both the 3.55/3.73 should have relatively close cruising hwy speeds/rpms in 6th, wouldn't they?

I spent a bunch of time as you are now researching the topic to death. I went with 3.73s as I don't plan on ever going FI with this car. I plan to do headwork and stay NA down the road but then get a GEN V as well for my hp fix. The 3.55s most people go with are the "sweet spot" so to speak where it gives a decent increase in accel but also doesn't cause anyone to complain about highway rpm, too short of gear, or loss of traction. 3.73 is for the all out performance if you are staying NA and thats the route I chose to go. I don't plan on driving this car across the country to worry about the rpm sitting high on a big road trip (as this is a factor with some).

I haven't thrown my 3.73 diff in yet as it just arrived last week but I haven't thought twice about my decision after looking at all the factors. As a comparison the GEN V comes with 3.55 stock yet has 200 more hp than the GEN II. Transmission ratios aside that is a hint at what you would chose.

ViperRyan
02-09-2017, 04:59 PM
I spent a bunch of time as you are now researching the topic to death. I went with 3.73s as I don't plan on ever going FI with this car. I plan to do headwork and stay NA down the road but then get a GEN V as well for my hp fix. The 3.55s most people go with are the "sweet spot" so to speak where it gives a decent increase in accel but also doesn't cause anyone to complain about highway rpm, too short of gear, or loss of traction. 3.73 is for the all out performance if you are staying NA and thats the route I chose to go. I don't plan on driving this car across the country to worry about the rpm sitting high on a big road trip (as this is a factor with some).

I haven't thrown my 3.73 diff in yet as it just arrived last week but I haven't thought twice about my decision after looking at all the factors. As a comparison the GEN V comes with 3.55 stock yet has 200 more hp than the GEN II. Transmission ratios aside that is a hint at what you would chose.

I greatly appreciate all of your input on this. I am still leaning towards the 3.73 as I want to get the biggest bang for the buck, I love shifting and don't mind doing it more. I don't really plan on FI, but for sure a motor build staying NA. I'm not concerned with RPM on highway, really. I think I read that cruising at 70 in 6th was around 1,800-2k rpms? I still have some time to figure it out as the car is in storage. Leanign towards the 3.73's........

chicagopd50
02-09-2017, 07:09 PM
I have 3.73 gears and at 70mph in 6th gear im at 1400 rpms.. but i do have a gen 3 .. i think our trans gears might be different I dont know.. i would totally go with 3.73.....

venum4u
02-09-2017, 10:31 PM
I have a 02 GTS H/C with 3.55 gear's. Total blast to drive

Vprbite
02-10-2017, 03:07 AM
I think 3.55 is perfect. But I cruised up to Phoenix a lot (120 miles) instead of driving my truck when I had to be up there just cause it was more fun to take the car and we did cruises through Arizona regularly 400mi in a day and I feel like 3.73 would have been too much. Around town and light to light for fun is a different issue of course but still it seems too much to me. On my Gen III, I would only do 3.55s too. I mean, we can bust our tires loose just fine with 3.07s. To me, 3.73s seems like you would be rowing through the gears way too much. I feel there is a reason the 3.55s are so popular.

Obviously, do what makes you happy. That just seems like way too much gear to me.

No matter what ratio you go with, remember you will have to change your fluid a bit more often. More often as you go up. Most of us are on top of our maintenence pretty well anyway, but it's something to keep in mind.

Good luck and enjoy.

heath1225
02-10-2017, 07:14 AM
By the way, Dan Cragin confirmed here in another thread, that speedo can be corrected with a tune for Gen 2 Viper. No need for a whatever colored box ;-)
Interested to learn more about this.

Gavm360
02-10-2017, 03:13 PM
jrdaly99 - I had my 3.55's installed last fall after owning my gen 2 for ten years - love it - can't recommend enough.

Installed it at the same time as the IPSCO short snifter, car is transformed.

My sense is the 3.73 would be very aggressive but if that is what you're going for then go for it - you definitely will feel the difference over stock

ViperRyan
02-10-2017, 03:29 PM
jrdaly99 - I had my 3.55's installed last fall after owning my gen 2 for ten years - love it - can't recommend enough.

Installed it at the same time as the IPSCO short snifter, car is transformed.

My sense is the 3.73 would be very aggressive but if that is what you're going for then go for it - you definitely will feel the difference over stock

Yes, I am still torn on the two. Would love the aggressive 3.73, but the 3.55's also make more sense in the long run I guess. How much did you notice between the 3.07 and 3.55. Does it feel like the 21% / 70+HP guys say it adds?

GTSgreg
02-11-2017, 09:08 PM
My 96 with 3.55s is at 1300-1400 rpm doing 60 mph. I feel when playing on an open backroad, I would sometimes leave it in fifth for nicer sound and a little more pull. (Just under 2000 rpm at 60mph in 5th)

ViperRyan
02-13-2017, 08:24 AM
My 96 with 3.55s is at 1300-1400 rpm doing 60 mph. I feel when playing on an open backroad, I would sometimes leave it in fifth for nicer sound and a little more pull. (Just under 2000 rpm at 60mph in 5th)

Thanks that helps!!

GTSgreg
02-13-2017, 09:49 AM
How much horsepower does the 3.55 gearing claim to add? If my car has high flow Borla cats and exhaust and a KN intake, along with the gearing, anyone know approximately how much Power my car would be making over stock?

98RedGTS
02-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Gears don't add power to a car. It just is a multiplication factor in place.

3.07 to 3.55 is about 15% more so the car will feel like it has about 15% more power.

ViperRyan
02-13-2017, 10:01 AM
How much horsepower does the 3.55 gearing claim to add? If my car has high flow Borla cats and exhaust and a KN intake, along with the gearing, anyone know approximately how much Power my car would be making over stock?

3.07 to 3.55 is about 15% more so the car will feel like it has about 15% more power.

I was wondering this as well. Based on my Mods(Intake, Full Belanger exhaust w/no cats), after talking with Dan Cragin and Cory Gehling. They both recommended that 3.55 was the better gear to go with, and they said should see around 21% increase in torq.

GTSgreg
02-13-2017, 10:02 AM

That's what I mean, it's generally making the car torquier and "feel" like more power

challenger
02-13-2017, 12:30 PM
I like my 3.73 with 19's in the back and change gear lube every year.

Boosted Motorsports
02-13-2017, 01:07 PM
https://driveviper.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9236&d=1482281001
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/7434-3-55-rear-end-dragstrip-improvement

Geronimo
02-14-2017, 10:34 AM
jrdaly99 -

It's not.

Gavm360
02-21-2017, 04:24 PM
jrdaly99 - I very much notice the difference of the 3.55 over the 3.07.

You would literally have to be in a coma not to notice. It is a big difference. It is hard to equate it to "horsepower" as it is more of a change in drive ability.

If it helps any I also have intake, belanger headers, cats, corsa catback. I wasn't the owner of the car before that work was done but I'm certain that the 3.55 change makes MORE of a difference than all those mods.

ViperRyan
02-21-2017, 04:36 PM

You would literally have to be in a coma not to notice. It is a big difference. It is hard to equate it to "horsepower" as it is more of a change in drive ability.

If it helps any I also have intake, belanger headers, cats, corsa catback. I wasn't the owner of the car before that work was done but I'm certain that the 3.55 change makes MORE of a difference than all those mods.

Thanks! it does help! I think I am leaning towards the 3.55, as there is so much torq now with the 3.07's and keeps maintenance down over the 3.73. Dan Cragin and Cory Gehling both recommended the 3.55 as well. I also have Heffner intake, full Belanger system w/no cats and some other mods. I am going to have Cory do a full dyno tune of my car and put in the gears.

Really looking forward to getting these in.

TOTJaybin
03-04-2017, 10:24 PM
I bought an entire diff used w/ 3.55s off the forums and they howl and whine at low RPMs pretty bad. Think its worth dropping the diff and taking to a shop to see if they can adjust? I have already tried different fluids.

heath1225
03-05-2017, 07:01 AM
I bought an entire diff used w/ 3.55s off the forums and they howl and whine at low RPMs pretty bad. Think its worth dropping the diff and taking to a shop to see if they can adjust? I have already tried different fluids.

Did you use the friction modifier?

Vprbite
03-05-2017, 07:18 AM

Imassume you put horsepower in quotes because you know that gear doesn't add power. It does feel like it does though. I have described it as "dumping the torque on you quicker" and having a resultant feeling that was "snappier."

Vprbite
03-05-2017, 07:21 AM

As heath1225 said. Make sure the fluid is correctly modified. After that, they could have been poorly installed or broken in. Of course, fluid is the quickest and easiest thing to check. My 3.55s didn't whine at all

GTSgreg
03-05-2017, 08:07 AM
Imassume you put horsepower in quotes because you know that gear doesn't add power. It does feel like it does though. I have described it as "dumping the torque on you quicker" and having a resultant feeling that was "snappier."

Im no mechanic, But by changing the gearing, wouldn't it be somewhat changing the amount of HP going to the back wheels? The crank HP would obviously stay the same but couldn't that affect the wheel hp and torque rating by adjusting gearing?

plumcrazy
03-05-2017, 10:11 AM
IIRC, the gear swaps steal rwhp on a dyno

Boosted Motorsports
03-05-2017, 02:04 PM
3.73 is in now. All I can say is un-f**king-real. This is how it should have come from the factory.... post some in car videos in the next few weeks.

Geronimo
03-05-2017, 02:31 PM
3.73 is in now. All I can say is un-f**king-real. This is how it should have come from the factory.... post some in car videos in the next few weeks.
You don't say?:)

Vprbite
03-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Im no mechanic, But by changing the gearing, wouldn't it be somewhat changing the amount of HP going to the back wheels? The crank HP would obviously stay the same but couldn't that affect the wheel hp and torque rating by adjusting gearing?

I get your thinking. But as I understand it its about getting that power that is already there to you quicker. Sort of like, of it took you 5 seconds to get through the power/torque curve before, now it takes 4. Same amount of power. Perhaps think of it as increases power shoved to the wheels per second (yes I know that's a metric i just made up ).

Same amount of power always there. In it's simplistic incarnation it's how many turns of the drive shaft per revolution of the tires, correct? So the higher you go, the quicker you "max out" your driveshaft turns. Which is why it costs you top end, need to shift sooner, etc.

I am more than happy to be proven wrong. This was just how I was always tought/thought of it.

Either way, I think it's a great mod and believe 3.55 is perfect. Others like 3.73s it's a matter of preference

Boosted Motorsports
03-05-2017, 08:22 PM
If I had larger diameter/newer spec wheels I wouldn't have any hesitation to go to a 4.10

No idea why anyone down plays 3.73 as being too much. It's far from it. Gears are plenty long unless you are brutal at driving. 60mph I'm around 1500rpm in 6th.

I had two cbr600s try to run me from a light. I short shifted 1st and casually put it in 2nd and floored it. They both tucked and I watched both of them struggle to even keep up. I was dying laughing! No idea their skill leve but either way this thing is pretty damn quick now!

Martin2000GTS
03-05-2017, 09:33 PM
I had a 2000 Dodge Viper stock motor with 19 inch rear wheels I put the 373 gears in and never had any doubt that that was the best choice. I put on about 45,000 miles in 12 years solid mix of long-distance cruising city cruising dragstrip and track. A few years ago I've built the motor and put a roe blower on there I now have 345 gears. As others have said with the stock 18 inch wheels the 355 is a great gear but with your 19 inch wheels you have to go 373 in my Opinion. The bigger wheels make it an effective 355. I'm guessing with a 355 it would make an effective 331? To me a 3.73 in your car is a no brainer. You will not be disappointed. 6th gear at 80mph was still about 2k rpm.... no problem

heath1225
03-06-2017, 06:25 AM
I get your thinking. But as I understand it its about getting that power that is already there to you quicker. Sort of like, of it took you 5 seconds to get through the power/torque curve before, now it takes 4. Same amount of power. Perhaps think of it as increases power shoved to the wheels per second (yes I know that's a metric i just made up ).

Same amount of power always there. In it's simplistic incarnation it's how many turns of the drive shaft per revolution of the tires, correct? So the higher you go, the quicker you "max out" your driveshaft turns. Which is why it costs you top end, need to shift sooner, etc.

I am more than happy to be proven wrong. This was just how I was always tought/thought of it.

Either way, I think it's a great mod and believe 3.55 is perfect. Others like 3.73s it's a matter of preference

You actually show less HP on the dyno with a gear.

My98RT10
03-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Hey, I need to ask a general question for which I could not find a clear and definite answer so far. In fact, I found contradictory information.

I need to know, whether model year 1998 has a 8.9" ring gear or a 8.5" ring gear from factory? Looking at the lists provided by DANA, all years until 2000 where equipped with a DANA 44 ICA 216 (so with the 8.5" ring gear). However, I read in the DaimlerChrysler Student Workbook, that from 1996 on, the Viper was equipped with a 8.9" ring gear.

Does anybody know for sure? I don't want to open my diff to get clarity.. ;-)

Thanks!

My98RT10
03-09-2017, 06:50 AM
No one?

Here's a shot from one of the many DANA documents you find on their website. From this you (well, I) would come to the conclusion that from 1993 to 2000 (at least), the Viper was equipped with a DANA 44/216. Also the number for the Ring Gear & Pinion Kit refers to a DANA 44/216 in the other screenshot below.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q800/My98ViperRT10/Differential/Diff_BOM_zpsn9rjwyaq.jpg

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q800/My98ViperRT10/Differential/Diff_Gears_zpsxfgsztwi.jpg

Other than that however, there is no specific information on ring gear size, pinion size, bolt size. The net is full of different/conflicting messages but there seem to be some differences regarding these 3 aspects for different years....!?

Personally, I only need to know ring gear size of stock '98 model year, is it 8.5" or 8.9" (I assume these are not interchangeable)? As many out there have changed gears there needs to be someone who knows the answer to this question! ;-)

Many thanks!

Sybil TF
03-09-2017, 10:23 AM
If I had larger diameter/newer spec wheels I wouldn't have any hesitation to go to a 4.10

No idea why anyone down plays 3.73 as being too much. It's far from it. Gears are plenty long unless you are brutal at driving. 60mph I'm around 1500rpm in 6th.

I had two cbr600s try to run me from a light. I short shifted 1st and casually put it in 2nd and floored it. They both tucked and I watched both of them struggle to even keep up. I was dying laughing! No idea their skill leve but either way this thing is pretty damn quick now!I have been trying to tell some of these chumps but they don't listen:smilielol:

Szeszko02GTSGA
05-31-2017, 08:03 AM
I upgraded to 3:55 gear and had the Unitrax (ROE racing) recalibration unit installed. My speed was off and after several adjustments was able to get pretty damm close.

ViperRyan
05-31-2017, 08:47 AM

I like the update haha. With the 19" GenV wheels on my GTS, I am thinking I will also go with 3.73's. My Trans Am came with 3.23's I believe and throwing in 3.73's was a crazy difference, so jumping more than that in the Viper, with more power/torq, I can't imagine the difference!

I think I am going to give the Viper to Cory Gehling and have him do all the work to it. Heard nothing but great things about him, and he even stopped over for a while after he saw Jay Leno's show in Appleton. It's just taking the time and getting the car down there to him.

Sybil TF
05-31-2017, 11:22 PM
I upgraded to 3:55 gear and had the Unitrax (ROE racing) recalibration unit installed. My speed was off and after several adjustments was able to get pretty damm close.You could have had the ECM reprogrammed for the gear change. I think, at least on ours (96) we could.

BrianACR
06-01-2017, 05:43 PM
I have an SCT X3 and in the options on it you can select different tire sizes and gear ratios.

heath1225
06-01-2017, 10:23 PM
I had a "built" rear end with an Eaton Trutrac diff and 3.55 gear set. On the stock 17" wheels it felt great. With 19" Forgestar F14s it definitely lost some "umph." I bought a new rear end with a 3.73 and it feels much much better.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an SCT X3 and in the options on it you can select different tire sizes and gear ratios.

I was not aware that you can change this in a Gen 2.....

Venomess
11-02-2017, 08:10 PM
What if I want to keep my stock ACR 18" wheels. Everyone who went with the 3.73 gear has 19" wheels and love them. But would the 3.73 be too much if I keep the 18"s as opposed to the 3.55?

Also, which Dana rear do we have? Exp: Dana44, Dana36, ect

Geronimo
11-02-2017, 08:32 PM
What if I want to keep my stock ACR 18" wheels. Everyone who went with the 3.73 gear has 19" wheels and love them. But would the 3.73 be too much if I keep the 18"s as opposed to the 3.55?

Also, which Dana rear do we have? Exp: Dana44, Dana36, ectNo. 44

My98RT10
11-03-2017, 12:55 AM
I had a "built" rear end with an Eaton Trutrac diff and 3.55 gear set. On the stock 17" wheels it felt great. With 19" Forgestar F14s it definitely lost some "umph." I bought a new rear end with a 3.73 and it feels much much better.

- - - Updated - - -

I was not aware that you can change this in a Gen 2.....

I don't think, that this option is working on a Viper either. You have to get a tune from a very experienced Viper guru to adjust the speedometer for a gear change. Or install the speedo/yellow box (which is less elegant IMO).

Geronimo
11-03-2017, 08:59 AM
I don't think, that this option is working on a Viper either. You have to get a tune from a very experienced Viper guru to adjust the speedometer for a gear change. Or install the speedo/yellow box (which is less elegant IMO).Dan Cragin did mine with 3:73's a tune+mods= a car more fun to drive.

Venomess
11-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Just to clarify lol....
What if I want to keep my stock ACR 18" wheels. Everyone who went with the 3.73 gear has 19" wheels and love them. But would the 3.73 be too much if I keep the 18"s with a 3.73 as opposed to a 3.55??

Where is Dan Cragin Located? Im in NC and theres a shop in Denver, NC but they charge $1g for a damn tune!!!

nrs1
11-03-2017, 09:23 AM
It's not the wheel size that matters, it's the dia of the tire that you put on it. Depending on the tire you put on the wheel, you could have nearly the same dia with an 18" or 19" wheel.

Venomess
11-03-2017, 09:35 AM
I gotcha. I still figure mine are less in diameter bc I'm running the stock size... 335/30/18

Geronimo
11-03-2017, 11:10 AM
Where is Dan Cragin Located? Im in NC and theres a shop in Denver, NC but they charge $1g for a damn tune!!!I thought he was a sponsor on here. California.

Geronimo
11-03-2017, 11:15 AM
I have an SCT X3 and in the options on it you can select different tire sizes and gear ratios.Was you able to do it on your gen2 with the X3?

Venomess
11-03-2017, 11:25 AM
I thought he was a sponsor on here. California.

He may be... was just hoping he was closer. I just think a grand for a tune is crazy. At any rate, I do have stock tires on 18" so Id assume my diameter is still smaller then the guys running 19" with 3.73s

My98RT10
11-03-2017, 12:08 PM
He may be... was just hoping he was closer. I just think a grand for a tune is crazy. At any rate, I do have stock tires on 18" so Id assume my diameter is still smaller then the guys running 19" with 3.73s

I don't think that Dan charges that much. However, a speedo calibration box would be cheaper compared to a tune (but a tune would usually include some other advantages as well...)

Geronimo
11-03-2017, 12:39 PM
He may be... was just hoping he was closer. I just think a grand for a tune is crazy. Without dragging out my bill it was less than $500. I'm not a fan of splicing wires for a box if I can get around it. You mail him your ECM. Easy to remove.

BrianACR
11-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Was you able to do it on your gen2 with the X3?

I'm not sure. Never did try it. I just saw the option when I plugged it into my car and scrolled through the settings. I still have stock gears and wheels.

Matt Dillon
11-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Like others said, best money for fun mod you can do! Call JonB and there is a full article on the PartsRack website all about gears!

Don't bother with a Viper tech! Find a good Jeep 4x4 guy and call them. It's a Dana rear, most solid Jeep builders can do them with their eyes closed!

For the speedo, for the Gen2, you can't do it with a tuner. JonB has a tap in calibration box that is simple to wire in and adjust for the 3.55s.

Check out the PartsRack.com website! Best $ mod for seat of pants fun!

Everything you said is what I did about 5 or 6 years ago & have never regretted it, definitely makes a Big difference in the seat of your pants FEEL though it doesn't really add any extra hp. If I did it all over again i'd probably even go with the 3.73's just because I don't do a lot of highway driving, even with the 3.55's you still don't use 6th gear much on the highway. Definitely just go to a 4x4 specialist, they do these everyday.

Venomess
11-07-2017, 10:53 AM
I took my Viper to my local 4x4 shop. They said they can do it no problem but they wanted to find out out how hard and how long it would take them to get the center section out. So they are going to do some research and get back to me.