PDA

View Full Version : Differential Oil Change Gen 2

Luisv
01-01-2014, 10:42 AM
I had begun to hear some moans when making sharp turns in the car so I figured it was time to swap the differential oil/fluid. I did some research here and saw some threads on the matter but no photos. I've done diff oil changes before but not on the Viper. So I figured I'd put up some photos for others to see. One of the other posts had photos at one point but they have since been deleted/moved.

This is not rocket science. You simply pull the fill plug on the Differential, suck out the fluid there and then refill. It takes about 1.5 liters or Quarts....ballpark. The only thing you need to worry about is having the car level to drain it correctly. In my case I needed the following:

- 7/16 Allen socket on a 3/8 ratchet. I have seen that some have mentioned 10mm Allen but it was too large in my case.
- Mopar Differential Oil - PN/ 04874469
- Mopar Limited Slip Additive - PN/ 04318060AB
- A vacuum/pump of some sort to get the old fluid out. I used a Mityvac MV7300. Awesome but a bit pricey unless you have more uses for it. You could easily use a loaner tool from a local store. Typically a hand pump. Not the fastest lor easiest, but doable.
- A extension tube for the new oil to be fed in. In the photos below. Makes for a FAR CLEANER way to fill the diff.
- A lift or a way to raise the car evenly. Jack stands, floor jacks, etc.

Below is a shot from under the car. The fill plug is on the passenger side of the car, just in front of the axles.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/luisv001/Viper/Differential/PBL_121205DSC_2943.jpg

The hose sucking out the old fluid. It will be dirty, but should still be a bit translucent in the tube. You should pull out about 1.5 quarts.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/luisv001/Viper/Differential/PBL_121205DSC_2946.jpg

Below are the new diff oil (you need to buy 2 quarts). Just by asking, I got the oil at a bit of a discount. I paid a bit less than $50 for both. The additive was about $12.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/luisv001/Viper/Differential/PBL_121205DSC_2948.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/luisv001/Viper/Differential/PBL_121205DSC_2950.jpg

I also took a shot of the fill tube. It has a cap and a shut-off valve on the base. It screws right into the bottle. It has a rubber washer so no leaks at all. Lets you position the bottle into the wheel well so you can raise it. It also allows you to squeeze the fluid in making it go a bit faster.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/luisv001/Viper/Differential/PBL_121205DSC_2953.jpg

When you fill it, add the additive first. What I did was empty as much of the bottle as I could into the diff, I pour some of the diff oil into the small bottle, swish it around a bit and then back into the diff oil bottle. In short get as much of the additive in as possible. Once that is done, fill the diff until the oil begins to pour back out of the fill hole. Put the plug back in. I then moved the rear wheels a bit. I do it to purge any air that might be caught in the diff after filling it. I remove the plug after a couple of minutes. If the fluid seeps out, you're good. Tighten the plug diff and you are done.

In the end, this is not something that requires a ton of skill.... Just a way to get the car up and patience. It is not as easy as an oil change but it is quite doable.

eucharistos
01-01-2014, 11:54 AM
thanks for the write-up

KRATEDISEASE
01-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Luis, you should have your own youtube channel on servicing the Viper.

Thank you for the cool thread !!

Luisv
01-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Luis, you should have your own youtube channel on servicing the Viper.

Thank you for the cool thread !!

Lol... Thanks...

Luisv
01-01-2014, 03:47 PM
thanks for the write-up

A pleasure. Just hoping I can lend a hand in some way to those on the forum.

Thawk97
09-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Just for clarity, you use all 4 OZs of the modifier? I thought I had read somewhere it was only like 2.5 OZs (gonna tackle this over the weekend)?

C.J
09-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Use all the modifier.

Luis, great write up! Those Mityvacs are awesome!

Fatboy 18
09-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Its people taking the time to do these How To guides which makes this such a Great Club,

Great Job

Thanks for posting :)

Luisv
09-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Just for clarity, you use all 4 OZs of the modifier? I thought I had read somewhere it was only like 2.5 OZs (gonna tackle this over the weekend)?

Yes, as CJ mentioned, use all the modifier. What I would do is get the modifier into the diff first. once you have the bottle empty, I added some diff lube into it and "cleaned it out". You want all the modifier in there that you can get.

Use all the modifier.

Luis, great write up! Those Mityvacs are awesome!

Yes, the Mityvacs make life so easy. I use it for all sorts of fluid swaps on all the cars. Real nice to work with and keeps things from spilling all over the place.

Its people taking the time to do these How To guides which makes this such a Great Club,

Great Job

Thanks for posting :)

Thanks. Not a problem. I try to put up as much as I can because I've learned a great deal about the car myself on here so I figured it's the least I can do for whatever has not been done/posted before.

VoodooRob
09-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Great write up. FYI, went to my local dealer and $87.00 spent for 2 Quarts of fluid and 1 bottle of modifier. What a deal! It is what it is.