PDA

View Full Version : Clear bra and detailing for matte finish paint.

NSviper
05-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Local dealer telling me that it's hard to take care of cars with this finish, and that I shouldn't put a clear bra on, as it will have the appearance of a shiny finish. However, I have also heard that it's ok to apply the clear bra. So, my questions are, to the professionals out there: 1) Is there a special kind of clear bra for the matte finish, 2) Is there a different process, or products to be used, prior to install? I am asking these questions, because where I live, we don't have any really good installers, which leaves me having to take the car quite a distance to get the job done correctly. As for those guys out there who have cars with the matte finish, is the matte more high maintenance than regular, and what are you using to care for the finish? I don't mind high maintenance......ask my wife..hahahaha
Cheers, Shaun

Junkman2008
05-03-2016, 06:52 AM
There is no special kind of clear bra for a matte finish but the clear bra will make the paint look shiny, just as draping your car in plastic will make your matte paint look shiny. So if you get a matte finish, a clear bra is going to look odd. As for maintenance, you cannot polish a matte finish. So if you scratch it, the repair gets REALLY EXPENSIVE. All you basically do to a matte finish is wash and dry it. That's it. A matte finish is NOT for someone who drives their car a lot of in any kind of weather. It's more for the Jay Leno types, who only bring the car out on REALLY nice days. So it's a LOT less maintenance but a LOT more restrictive as to when you can drive it, unless you don't mind it getting crappy looking after enough birds crap on it or it gets stained due to other crap getting on the paint.

I would never have it on my car.

98intrigue
05-03-2016, 09:18 AM
There are actually a few brands that sell matte clear bras now. A few members here have had XPEL Stealth installed on their Anodized Carbon editions, which I will be having installed on mine next week.

EZ 2B Green
05-03-2016, 09:20 AM
Hi Shaun,

I researched this myself. My findings don't agree with some of the Junckman's statements above. There is a matte clear bra material specifically designed for matte finishes (it does not make the finish look shiny). The install process is pretty much the same. I have a contact in the NE area that can do the install if you need it. BTW: You can also use matte clear bra on a standard paint finish to get a matte look. The only downside being that you have to do the entire car or it will look strange.

Junkman2008
05-03-2016, 10:06 AM
I was unaware of a matte clear bra but if it is truly a matte style, WHY do you have to do the entire car or the install will look funny (which is what I said)? To me, that sounds like a regular clear bra with a different name. Hmmm...

ViperJon
05-03-2016, 10:17 AM
I was unaware of a matte clear bra but if it is truly a matte style, WHY do you have to do the entire car or the install will look funny (which is what I said)? To me, that sounds like a regular clear bra with a different name. Hmmm...

Because if you don't do the whole car the uncovered area will be shiny and the covered area matte?
You realize he is talking about a matte wrap on a normally painted car right?

Junkman2008
05-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Because if you don't do the whole car the uncovered area will be shiny and the covered area matte?
You realize he is talking about a matte wrap on a normally painted car right?

Oh, no I didn't. I thought that he was talking about a matte painted car. But why would you clear bra a wrap???

NSviper
05-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys, Mike I will see you next week. I'll get the info from you then. Maybe he will come up here, and do the install. we'd throw in a cod tongue dinner ha.

ACR Steve
05-10-2016, 01:20 PM
I think I heard they have a matt clear as well

98intrigue
05-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Just had XPEL stealth installed on my front bumper, rockers, and behind the rear wheels. Also had the headlights protected.

Comparison of the bumper (wrapped) vs. the hood (not wrapped)
http://i65.tinypic.com/2nhn893.jpg

This shows the true difference
http://i67.tinypic.com/10zmlbp.jpg

outnumbered
05-11-2016, 05:52 PM
I have the Suntek matte film on my car.....not shiny

MonsterCoatings
09-03-2016, 09:40 PM
Hey gents and Shaun I am new here but I have been installing wraps and films since 94 and regular vinyl since the 80's.

There are several offerings of glossy and matte paint protection films. As there are several matte vinyls each manufacturer's finish is a little different. We had done a Lamborghini Nera which has factory matte black and gloss paint side be side. So we butted the two films up right on the transition line. Looked awesome.

Just because one car had a good match does not mean you will too. Any reputable shop should be able to offer you samples or be able to get samples of all the available materials out there. I get mine from SEMA exhibitors every year. Xpel's may work well with Avery but not 3M and Premuim Shield may work vice versa. Don't be afraid to ask to see a mock up if it really matters to have a really close match. Because the vinyl and urethane are different materials iy will not ever be perfect. If you want a lot of options to compare the installer may charge a small sample fee. If you go past 15 minutes here and don't bring a few cold ones to share you may get charged. LOL We stock three different matte blacks because different strokes for different folks. Paint protection film we stock 3 manufacturers of glossy film and have two matte films. Always plenty of scrap lying around to test with.
As far as protection for the matte PPF we offer CeramicPro because it is independently tested and it just works really well for us. It does change the matte finish a little but the ease of cleaning we feel is worth it.
Like anything, any good shop should be able to set you up with a sample, just ask. If you need a referral feel free to pm me.