PDA

View Full Version : Gen V fuel door question

Brad00GTS
12-31-2013, 11:07 PM
Has anyone powder coated the fuel door black to match the black wheels? If so, how hard would it be to do?

Space Truckin
01-01-2014, 10:17 AM
As the new fuel filler is capless, I wonder what he heat will do to cover i.e warp/ deform? JM2C

PeerBlock
01-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Personally, I'd rather have mine electroplated with black chrome or gunmetal and it's something I plan to do. If you're going to do something like this, it may be a better idea to buy a replacement cap and have that part recolored however you want it. That way if something gets messed up in the process you won't be capless, basically inviting yourself to be a victim of gas siphoning.

Steve M
01-01-2014, 12:24 PM
As the new fuel filler is capless, I wonder what he heat will do to cover i.e warp/ deform? JM2C

Would it matter? The cover doesn't seal the gas tank...that's done in the tube itself on the Gen 5 cars.

If it is made out of aluminum like the Gen 3/4 covers, it would be as easy as pulling it off, sending it to someone that does good powder coating, and putting it right back on. The heat from the process shouldn't have any impact on the part itself.

Steve M
01-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Personally, I'd rather have mine electroplated with black chrome or gunmetal and it's something I plan to do. If you're going to do something like this, it may be a better idea to buy a replacement cap and have that part recolored however you want it. That way if something gets messed up in the process you won't be capless, basically inviting yourself to be a victim of gas siphoning.

From what I've read, gas siphoning is nearly impossible with the newer capless systems.