PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about lifts.. Not brand but style

Mclarengts
04-27-2016, 06:52 AM
So I just got my garage door lifted and all that.. I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a lift today... But first I want to hear a few opinions.

I've always been a 4 post kinda guy but now at the last min my friend has me thinking 2 post. Mainly it will be used for storage but I sometimes do oil changes brake jobs... Minor things like that..

I know the 2 post has to be bolted down, and the 4 post does not.. Ill probably be moving in 2-4 years and its coming with me.

What do you think?

10PISTNZ
04-27-2016, 07:30 AM
I have a four post.
pros - better for storage and parking. Suspension not hanging.
- better door access than 2 post
- as you said, you can move it if necessary. Even with the car on it if you have the wheels.
- narrower footprint than 2 post
- you don't have to move the arms out, in and adjust every time you want to use the car.
cons - PITA for taking off the wheels. I got the lift option. Makes it a lot easier.
As for oil changes. Both are the same.

capevettes
04-27-2016, 07:39 AM
I love my 4 post. Much better for storage and far easier to get the car up. 2 post is better for wheel work but you still have to crawl around on the floor to position the lift on the frame. You can still do wheel work with a 4 post if you have a jacking tray. Best of both worlds, plus you can stack cars more easily.

Stretch
04-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Based one what you have described I would think a 4 post lift is just what you are looking for. There are ways to get creative to get the wheels off for brakes or suspension work. I have done both on my 4 post on several cars. And a 4 post is very nice for oil changes on a low car.

RAY W
04-27-2016, 08:35 AM
Many residential garage floors are not designed to support the weight and stress of a two post lift. 4-post lifts to me are a lot more stable and you can adjust it's location as well as move the car forward and back for the best clearance.

Mclarengts
04-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Sweet! Thanks guys.. 4post it is!.
Ill post picks when its all done

TA Two Oh
04-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Here's something that I hadn't considered. A friend had his Porsche in storage on a lift above his wife's Porsche. Something let go in his clutch and as a result, brake fluid dripped onto the paint on her car. Her car needed a repaint. I asked why he didn't use the trays that most lifts come with and he said that his car was on a two post... No trays.

A two post may be better for working on your car but for storage, to me, the four post is the way to go.

Mclarengts
04-27-2016, 09:42 AM
^damn good point there!!!

TrackAire
04-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Four is better than two....need I say more?? :)

If you have the room and height, I recommend you get a four post that goes extra high and extra wide.

Mclarengts
04-27-2016, 12:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the input.. 4 post it is

Vprbite
04-27-2016, 03:46 PM
I always thought width was more important :)

Oh you mean for lifts. Yeah what these guys said.

Joel
04-27-2016, 04:16 PM
I assume storage is more important to you than anything else but having installed 2 and 4 post lifts, you'll have a lot of walking around to do with a 4 post. They take up more space and you really need to try one to see if you can drive up on it. They will take up about 150 to 180 square feet of space whether you have a car on them or not. I like the idea of a four post for storage of 2 cars where the lift is out of the way in an area you don't use. Otherwise, you do a lot of walking around them.

daveg
04-27-2016, 04:33 PM
4 Post for storage, you don't want your suspension hanging for a prolonged period of time. I have 2 of them in my Garage and love them.

FrgMstr
04-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Semi permanent Maxjax.....love it.

http://kylebennett.com/files/hfpics/MaxJax%20Up.jpg

http://kylebennett.com/files/hfpics/MaxJaxInstall04242015.jpg

dewilmoth
04-28-2016, 07:58 PM
I'm looking into a storage lift too. I originally thought of doing a single post, but I just don't trust my concrete slab for that. I'll likely be going 4 post, but I need to raise my garage door first. My ceilings are 10'6", but the door hangs 3' ish below that. I'm dreading the project, but I know I'll be glad I did it once it's done.

duffman04
04-29-2016, 07:13 AM
I'm looking into a storage lift too. I originally thought of doing a single post, but I just don't trust my concrete slab for that. I'll likely be going 4 post, but I need to raise my garage door first. My ceilings are 10'6", but the door hangs 3' ish below that. I'm dreading the project, but I know I'll be glad I did it once it's done.

Usually only costs a couple hundred for a garage door company to come raise them for you. If you need a new garage door opener (or want a new one) switch to the liftmaster 8500 on the side of the doors. It'll eliminate it from the middle of the ceiling, makes the whole thing look much better.

Stretch
04-29-2016, 07:26 AM
Agreed on the Liftmaster 8500. I put them on both doors even though I don't have a second lift. Makes the garage feel much bigger with both doors going up towards the ceiling.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o397/JEM2201/Garage/IMG_2137_zps875a0cd1.jpg (http://s341.photobucket.com/user/JEM2201/media/Garage/IMG_2137_zps875a0cd1.jpg.html)