PDA

View Full Version : Track Day Helmets

Vprbite
04-21-2016, 03:32 AM
So what's the story on Helmets? Should we bring our own or will there be enough loaners? The reason I ask is it does take up space and that is at a premium for many people.

Secondly, on the track, will it be driver with an instructor or driver with their guest/passenger of their choice?

Just wanting to make sure we are adequately prepared. Really looking forward to this!

SmoknTires
04-21-2016, 09:09 AM
Good question! so a heads up - You'll be receiving a "what to expect" email soon that'll give a heads up on some of the finer details overall. It should answer most questions and help serve as a guide to planning before you arrive.

VB - on your specific question. We do have loaner helmets and should be enough. though we encourage those with helmets to bring their own as it makes things more quickly and eliminates any contention for a particular size. But we have loaners available if you can't bring one. On your other questions, some quick highlights:

* We have decided to allow passengers so that friends and family have an opportunity to be in the car and experience some of the fun on track day.
* There will be 2 groups for the road course, everyone gets split into one of 2 categories by skill and are on the track at separate times. One category will be a beginner/intermediate group. They will be allowed passengers, but no passing will be allowed and pace cars will be on track to guide them. The advanced/expert groups will have open track. They will also be allowed passengers and will be allowed to pass (point by needed).
* for autocross, we're targeting a good 5-6 runs, and then will allow the module to finish up with more runs with whatever time is left.
* For road course, we've also created a plan to allow track rats (and even novices) more road course time. We will have a revisit/standby lane that will allow you to come back to the road course anytime during the day and get back on track. We'll allow another 2 sessions per car. So for those who choose, you can actually get a full track day there - and still have time to do other modules.

Hope that rests well with folks, we wanted to provide options and deviate from the usual menu. While everyone will have assigned modules to help direct the group, you can still carve out extras that you like for things you like to do most. I think it's going to be a fun day!

See you there.

Vprbite
04-21-2016, 11:41 PM
Thank you for your very complete answer

One follow up please, if you don't mind. If I read this correctly there won't be a group where it is a driver with an instructor?

Just want to make sure. I will have a helmet but my GF may need a loaner.

Thanks again for the detailed answer to the question. Your time and effort is very appreciated.

Edit: Will there be a grief counselor available for all the people I humiliate on the track?

SmoknTires
04-21-2016, 11:46 PM
Correct. we're not putting individual instructors in the car. Advanced people will have open track. And the more novice group will be lead by 2 pace cars that split the group and pace the track and show them the general lines.

Yep, we can supply a loaner helmet for her. We have enough total helmets, but just in case it's good to bring them if you have them as on occasion if a bunch of people with the same size show up - we could have a specific size that ends up limiting us. Given so many people who have helmets, I'm sure a good number will prefer to use their own anyway.

Take care

Vprbite
04-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks again for a thoughtful and thorough answer.

I will have a balaclava because I have a beard (as my intense manliness is unstoppable) but for those who haven't thought about it yet, if you are using loaner helmets it might be a good idea to buy and bring a balaclava. People sweat on the track in the middle of winter, so in May, you will definitely be sweating. Probably a cool move of people to bring their own balaclava and also I'm sure you will appreciate it if you go to put a helmet on that someone has sweated in (by no fault of their own of course) just for comforts sake.

Looking forward to it!

--Jeffrey

Edit: If I am going to wear a balaclava under the helmet do you require it is fireproof or can it just be cotton? I assumed cotton or dry wick fabric is fine but wanted to make sure. Thanks.

SmoknTires
04-23-2016, 10:17 AM
We'll actually have headstocks available in the karting area. We're working on having them available at the road course as well. Should be able to accommodate.

Vprbite
04-23-2016, 05:11 PM
Oh hey cool. Thanks!

EdGTS
04-26-2016, 02:42 PM
Are snell DOT motorcycle helmets ok? Or if not for the driver but the passenger? I prefer to use my own helmet if possible. These are full faced helmets.

SmoknTires
04-26-2016, 02:47 PM
If the helmet is only DOT rated, no. The helmet must be SNELL rated (at least 2005 or newer).