PDA

View Full Version : A Gen IV History Lesson / Reminder of How Bad Things Were

Henry
12-30-2013, 09:16 PM
I thought that it would be a good reminder for everyone as to how far Chrysler and SRT have come. This is probably also good for anyone complaining about how long it takes to get a Gen V.

As a bit of background Janni and I decided to order a 2009 ACR in 2008 as we were concerned about whether the Viper and even Chrysler were going to survive the recession. The following is an outline of everything that took place between our placing the order and us finally taking delivery of it.

Order Date / Time: September 19, 2008 09:58

Ordering Dealer: D & E Car Exchange Inc in Wilmington NC - we ordered the car through Tom Sessions (Viper Tech Extrordinaire) as we has working there at the time

Car Details: ZBDS29 2009 SRT10 Coupe with ACR package (Customer Preferred Package 21B) in PK3 Viper Very Orange Pearl Coat
Car Options: RA8 Hard Core Package, AP6 Delete Black Center Band Two Tone

So basically we ordered a solid orange 2009 ACR with a hard core package.

VIN Assigned: Around November 17, 2008 we were informed that a VIN was assigned (#500333).

Build Scheduled: Around early February 2009 we learned that our car was scheduled for build.

1st Problem/Delay: Around mid-February 2009 (right below our car was scheduled for build) the Viper body panel provider declared bankrupcy. This essentially stopped production of cars within a few days due to JIT material planning. The Viper team then had to find a new provider, move the tooling, certify production from the new supplier, and then have sample body panels painted to insure that the finished painted body panels met quality requirements. This process took approximately 2 months.

Build Start: Our car build was actually started on April 15, 2009 (the door sticker shows a born on date and time of MHD: 041512)

2nd Problem/Delay: Before our car was completed production at CAAP was stopped due to the Chrysler bankrupcy. The official bankrupcy filing date was April 30, 2009. The bottom line was that our car was not completed prior to the bankrupcy and all work on Vipers at CAAP stopped until a reorganization plan was put together and agreed to.

Date of Mfr: Our car was finally completed at CAAP. The door sticker shows "DATE Of MFR: 6-09" - meaning that it took somewhere around 2 months start to finish for our car vs less than one day for a normal build Viper.

ACR Modifications: At this time all ACRs had the aero components added at Prefix. So our car was shipped to Prefix sometime close to the end of June 2009. Prefix added all of the aero components and returned the car to CAAP toward the end of July 2009.

3rd Problem/Delay: CAAP shut down for most of August 2009 as part of their annual scheduled shut down for vacations. We arranged for factory pickup so even though our car was complete we needed to wait until the plant shut down was over.

4th Problem/Delay: Our selling Dodge dealer (D & E Car Exchange) was disenfranchised by Dodge as part of their dealer reduction effort that was one of their bankrupcy actions. Our car's sale was transferred from D & E to Ringold Dodge so that actually had a dealer to sell the car to us!

CAAP Pickup: Tom Sessions, Janni and I left home with our truck and trailer on September 10, 2009. We toured the assembly line at CAAP on September 11, 2009. At the end of the tour we finally saw our car for the first time - it was sitting in the middle of the plant!! We were thrilled to see it!! And we learned we were the first factory pickup since the bankrupcy.

Total Time: From order to car pickup it took us 8 days short of 1 full year!!

ACRucrazy
12-30-2013, 09:25 PM
I love your ACR!!

Getnlwr
12-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Much improvement has been made. I love the color as well. I [am working to be in a position to buy a new one like that one day.

viperr
12-30-2013, 11:38 PM
That is a great story. I guess that some times people get caught in the "perfect storm" and things go south rapidly. Judging by the photos it was well worth the wait and with such an interesting history it is a car which overcame all kinds of roadblocks to become a great looking Viper ACR.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
12-31-2013, 12:02 AM
Great write-up!

Bad Boyzz
Toddy

Canadian venom
12-31-2013, 06:06 AM
Cool story, nice car !!!

No hemi
12-31-2013, 07:32 AM
that's a Nice happy ending to the story!! lol Beautiful Car!!,

CERVEZA
12-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Great story..... Nothing beats the truth!!!!

Shooter
12-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Did you ask for the wing to stay unpainted.? They usually paint them on a solid or stripe car.

chesapeake07
12-31-2013, 09:53 AM
I'm sure it was well worth the wait. I would bet the experience is something you and Janni will forever remember.

viperprowler1
12-31-2013, 09:53 AM
Very interesting...thanks for sharing. Mike

V10LEE
12-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Love that color too..

67PLY
12-31-2013, 08:41 PM
That sounded almost exactly like my first Viper order experience. Don't remember the exact date the order was placed through a small dealership where I was good friends with the salesman (believe it or not) It had to be around the same time as your order, Oct, Nov 2008. My vin was 00417, went through the same ups and downs, and my car was delivered on Dec 31, 2009 4 years ago today. Unfortunately, I don't have the car anymore, I had to trade down to reduce some debt. I now have a 2008 Venom Red Coupe with a history (not good) but at least I'm still in a Viper!

Henry
01-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Did you ask for the wing to stay unpainted.? They usually paint them on a solid or stripe car.

You are correct that a solid orange car should have an orange wing. We did ask for the wing to remain unpainted.