PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty

cab33
04-14-2016, 03:29 PM
When buying new, is there a reason to purchase an extended warranty at the time of purchase?

swexlin
04-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Peace of mind. I'll be blunt here, these cars have some QC issues. I think most have been worked out for the 15-16 model years, but if you intend to keep the car a while, it could come in handy.

Two issues I've seen a couple times here now more recently are diff whine, and 2nd-3rd gear grinding. I have some minor diff whine, not enough (yet) to get it looked at, but the shifting is fine. Obviously, some engines have gone, in addition to other minor things. My car is now 3 years old, and I bought an extended from Bill P when I purchased it used from him. Knock LOTS of wood, haven't had to use it (yet) but I'm glad it's there.

Steve-Indy
04-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Yes, some times at some dealerships.

That said, ALWAYS inquire about such warranties with Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse or John Gastman at Roanoke.

VIPERGTSRT10
04-14-2016, 03:43 PM
No, if you are getting a Chrysler/Mopar warranty you have 12 months/12k miles to buy it before they start adding more fees. I buy my Chrysler warranties from this site http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/, they seem to have some of the best prices available (if you search the VOA site you may find another or two that's about the same, I think I saw it in another thread on here). Many dealerships will probably tell you the warranty has to be purchased when you pick up the car, but don't listen to them. Only buy it if they are going to match or beat the prices from the site I posted (or provide some other type of incentive).

cashcorn
04-14-2016, 03:44 PM
I think the drive train warranty is 5yr/60k. How far out does the extended cover the drive train? thanks

CarolinaViper
04-14-2016, 03:47 PM
When buying new, is there a reason to purchase an extended warranty at the time of purchase?

The extended warranty will not take place until after the bumper-to-bumper or the 5 year 60K is over. I plan on purchasing an extended warranty during my 3d year of ownership...why give them money sooner, unless the purchase price is greatly reduced.

cashcorn
04-14-2016, 03:57 PM
^^^^^ Who knew! I always thought it was a 2 year extension over the factory warranty. I'm in for $1,820. Great peace of mind! great info..

Voice of Reason
04-14-2016, 05:42 PM
^^^^^ Who knew! I always thought it was a 2 year extension over the factory warranty. I'm in for $1,820. Great peace of mind! great info..

Just to note, my 7 year extended warranty isn't a 7 year extension on top of my factory warranty. It just extends the bumper to bumper provisions of the warranty to 7 years total.

swexlin
04-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Just to note, my 7 year extended warranty isn't a 7 year extension on top of my factory warranty. It just extends the bumper to bumper provisions of the warranty to 7 years total.

This is my understanding as to how mine works as well.

Reaper
04-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Exactly. A couple weeks ago when I was at my dealer for R28, R29, Arrow install, I inquired about the extended warranty. They told me the time is more important than the miles for most Viper owners and I was shown a 7yr 60k mile warranty. Just to be clear, this is 4 years additional coverage to your original 3 yr bumper to bumper factory warranty. You can buy a couple different warranties of various extensions and mileage requirements. I think the 4 year additional is just a couple hundred bucks more than the 2 year so it makes sense to go for the big plan. Im sure I'll buy it pretty soon just for peace of mind since I plan on keeping car for a while.

BJG32
04-14-2016, 11:28 PM
I will never own this car not under warranty. So many issues with my vipers. Window regulator is now going out. Common issue on gen 3 and 4.

Still a blast to own, but not for the weak.

zee
04-14-2016, 11:31 PM
I spoke to a dealer today and they offer a 10 year, 100k mile warranty for $2500. It's not through dodge but they said dodge would honor it. Anyone heard of this before??

7TH_SIGN
04-14-2016, 11:46 PM
I spoke to a dealer today and they offer a 10 year, 100k mile warranty for $2500. It's not through dodge but they said dodge would honor it. Anyone heard of this before??

NO!!! Stay away from anything thats not a Chrysler manufacture warranty! Trust me I learned this the hard way with my Jeep Wrangler. The heat stopped working (of course it was winter time) and I had purchased the "platinum" Fidelity extended warranty which I was told was the best by the finance department when I bought the Jeep new. She told me it would cover everything. Well the heater-core needed to be replaced and the entire front dash had to come out to do it. Dealership informed me that the warranty wouldn't cover it because it wasn't a "mechanical part".

choptimusprime
04-15-2016, 12:23 AM
No, if you are getting a Chrysler/Mopar warranty you have 12 months/12k miles to buy it before they start adding more fees. I buy my Chrysler warranties from this site http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/, they seem to have some of the best prices available (if you search the VOA site you may find another or two that's about the same, I think I saw it in another thread on here). Many dealerships will probably tell you the warranty has to be purchased when you pick up the car, but don't listen to them. Only buy it if they are going to match or beat the prices from the site I posted (or provide some other type of incentive).

Bought my 7/60 Mopar maximum care through the dealer for $1875, $15 less than quoted here when I bought my 2014 used last weekend. Not bad.

zee
04-15-2016, 12:23 AM
NO!!! Stay away from anything thats not a Chrysler manufacture warranty! Trust me I learned this the hard way with my Jeep Wrangler. The heat stopped working (of course it was winter time) and I had purchased the "platinum" Fidelity extended warranty which I was told was the best by the finance department when I bought the Jeep new. She told me it would cover everything. Well the heater-core needed to be replaced and the entire front dash had to come out to do it. Dealership informed me that the warranty wouldn't cover it because it wasn't a "mechanical part".

Good to know. It sounded really fishy...

swexlin
04-15-2016, 06:07 AM
I will never own this car not under warranty. So many issues with my vipers. Window regulator is now going out. Common issue on gen 3 and 4.

Still a blast to own, but not for the weak.

Agreed, too many QC issues for this level of car. I thought that the window regulator had been re-designed to be more durable for the Gen 5. I know it does retrofit to the Gen 3-4 cars as well. Kind of disheartening.

Bottom line - contact Bill P - he will give you an excellent deal on a genuine Chrysler extended warranty.

Malu59RT
04-15-2016, 06:25 AM
The extended warranty will not take place until after the bumper-to-bumper or the 5 year 60K is over. I plan on purchasing an extended warranty during my 3d year of ownership...why give them money sooner, unless the purchase price is greatly reduced.

Just a small point I wanted to add, extended warranty works for one small reason immediately...1st day rental. If you have a standard warranty, Dodge isn't obligated to give you a rental car unless the car's repair will exceed one day. When you have the MaxCare, you are able to get a rental when you drop the car off. This may be insignificant to most people, but if it's inconvenient for someone to pick you up, or you are outside the courtesy shuttle range, it's a good perk.

As already stated above, there is almost a $1000 supplement if you purchase an extended warranty after the first 12,000 miles/12 months.

ViperSmith
04-15-2016, 08:13 AM
Just a small point I wanted to add, extended warranty works for one small reason immediately...1st day rental. If you have a standard warranty, Dodge isn't obligated to give you a rental car unless the car's repair will exceed one day. When you have the MaxCare, you are able to get a rental when you drop the car off. This may be insignificant to most people, but if it's inconvenient for someone to pick you up, or you are outside the courtesy shuttle range, it's a good perk.

As already stated above, there is almost a $1000 supplement if you purchase an extended warranty after the first 12,000 miles/12 months.

I've only seen a $150 difference if you get outside the 1y window

BJG32
04-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Agreed, too many QC issues for this level of car. I thought that the window regulator had been re-designed to be more durable for the Gen 5. I know it does retrofit to the Gen 3-4 cars as well. Kind of disheartening.

Bottom line - contact Bill P - he will give you an excellent deal on a genuine Chrysler extended warranty.

I got a free warranty when my engine blew up. My regulator went out on my gen 3. Gen 5 is making the same noise...it's going to break any day now. Time to make another appointment with a local incompetent dealer. I've gone to 4 different dealers for issues, all of them sucked....I have one more to try.

Malu59RT
04-15-2016, 09:26 AM
I've only seen a $150 difference if you get outside the 1y window

Maybe now it is? I want to say it surprised me when I got the extended warranty on my 2008 Viper in 2011 :(

Voice of Reason
04-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Maybe now it is? I want to say it surprised me when I got the extended warranty on my 2008 Viper in 2011 :(

Sounds like a dirty finance manager trick - "You should really buy this extended warranty today for only $3,000 because in a year I'll have to charge you $4,000!"

Malu59RT
04-15-2016, 09:56 AM
Sounds like a dirty finance manager trick - "You should really buy this extended warranty today for only $3,000 because in a year I'll have to charge you $4,000!"

I purchased mine from one of the online dealers, and it was the best price I could find. The supplement charge wasn't something that the company could waive.

ygbsm
04-15-2016, 10:06 AM
Does anyone have experience with www.chryslerfactoryplans.com?

They are showing reasonably priced 7 year (total) Max Care warranties, which I assume are Chrysler factory plans. If I am mistaken, please tell me.

Voice of Reason
04-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Does anyone have experience with www.chryslerfactoryplans.com?

They are showing reasonably priced 7 year (total) Max Care warranties, which I assume are Chrysler factory plans. If I am mistaken, please tell me.

I bought my Viper and Grand Cherokee plans through them last year - 7 years for the Viper, unlimited miles lifetime warranty for the GC. It was quick and painless and required nothing more than filling out their form online and submitting.

VIPERGTSRT10
04-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Between myself, my family, and a few friends we have purchased at least 5 Chrysler MaxCare warranties from www.chryslerfactoryplans.com over the past few years. Yes they are Chrysler/Mopar Extended Warranties, the prices seem too good to be true, but it's all legit. You can call them if you have any questions, they are very helpful.

Martin
04-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Between myself, my family, and a few friends we have purchased at least 5 Chrysler MaxCare warranties from www.chryslerfactoryplans.com over the past few years. Yes they are Chrysler/Mopar Extended Warranties, the prices seem too good to be true, but it's all legit. You can call them if you have any questions, they are very helpful.

^^^This. Another trick that used to work (and still may) is to get a quote on the site, and if you don't buy the plan right away you magically get a promo email a few days later that has a discount code in it. I've bought a few from them, and they always work just fine.

The 1st day rental car is a huge plus. The only time it's a hassle is if the dealer doesn't have a demo car for you to use - they send you to the partner rental car agency, and often that means going across town to pick the car up and drop it off.

F2V
04-15-2016, 06:54 PM
Really? Buying a new hand assembled, limited production, high performance race car, know to have a few problems now and then...why would anyone in their right mind ever consider an extended warranty??

Ggrrady
04-16-2016, 06:07 PM
Does anybody know how long the corrosion/paint coverage is?

I am getting a gun metal matte and am a little worried about fading spots.

BJG32
04-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Does anybody know how long the corrosion/paint coverage is?

I am getting a gun metal matte and am a little worried about fading spots.

3 years factory....7 years from purchase extended warranty.

Imo if you don't DD in bad winter weather paint is the last thing to worry about on these cars. Thats the one thing they did perfectly....

02192viper
10-09-2019, 11:13 PM
Anyone else use this chryslerfactoryplans warranty? Anyone have anything negative to say regarding the warranty plan? I called my local dealer and they said they could not match the price. It looks like the same plan that the dealer was offering

Ronin47
10-10-2019, 12:17 AM
Anyone else use this chryslerfactoryplans warranty? Anyone have anything negative to say regarding the warranty plan? I called my local dealer and they said they could not match the price. It looks like the same plan that the dealer was offering
How much did they quoted you for?

ViperSRT
10-10-2019, 03:42 AM
I just checked for mine and it is $2445 for 7 year with $200 deductible. A bit more than stated above but it is 3 years later. Note this is for a 2017. Is the deductible per visit or per issue? A $100 deductible raises it to $2880.

02192viper
10-10-2019, 04:07 AM
The dealer quoted me $4055 for another 5 years (2016 ACR E). The chryslerfactorywarranty quoted me $2755 if paid in full with the $100 deductible. $3120 if not paid in full.

ViperSRT
10-10-2019, 04:29 AM
Wonder why it is more for a 2017. Never asked for what model of Viper (SRT, GTS, ACR, etc).

Gen5snake
10-10-2019, 07:38 AM
Here's my maximum care warranty for my 2015, added 4 years - MOPAR VEHICLE PROTECTION An FCA US LLC issued Plan

I used this site: https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com/free-quote/

What is covered under the max care: https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com/warranty-plans/maximum-care-warranty/

ViperSRT
10-10-2019, 08:29 AM
Gen5snake when did you add it? I presume the 3 year warranty has expired, correct?

AZTVR
10-10-2019, 08:41 AM
Wonder why it is more for a 2017. Never asked for what model of Viper (SRT, GTS, ACR, etc).

Most likely the reason is that you did not enter all of the other relevant parameters exactly the same as the other person, such as state, odometer reading, max miles, etc.

That is the nice thing about being able to get an actual quote online rather than comparing to someone else's deal that is based on unknown parameters.

cubeman
10-10-2019, 10:26 AM
I've gotten mine through Zegilar/Warranty Direct. I would go Clay R. though first, I only got mine before I found out he beats their prices also.

ViperSRT
10-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Strange. I have changed the MY, miles and several states and always end up higher. BTW Florida was only state I tried that was different out of 5.

Gen5snake
10-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Gen5snake when did you add it? I presume the 3 year warranty has expired, correct?

I purchased the extended warranty this past February of 2019. My 4 year warranty was still active for a couple more weeks.

You still can get an extended warranty if yours expired, but it'll cost you a lot more...as you noticed. I remembered one of my buddies that managed a dealership in FL said there was some law in place that changed pricing in Florida....don't remember the details though.

ViperSRT
10-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Thanks Gen5snake. My 3 year warranty does not expire until next year so I have time to decide. Didn't know there was a 4 year warranty (mine is 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5 year powertrain). Yours being $900 less (for 8 year, 100 deductible) still seems very odd.

mikesax
10-10-2019, 06:18 PM
I signed up yesterday-got my 17 in October of 16 so I only had 2 days left before the extended warranty wasn't offered any more! Cost about $3800 for 4 more years and 60,000 miles-$100 deductible with roadside and rental car etc!
My 15 now has 40,000 miles with no major issues-no extended on that-so I figured since the 17 is the one I will keep the longest God willing -I only have 8000 miles on her-the extra protection couldn't hurt! Normally every 3 years or so I find something new-but personally given how much I love my Vipers and their manual transmissions-which now are becoming semi extinct-I really don't see much on the auto horizon that grabs me! My Vipers still are the most amazing machines on the road IMO-and seeing how much I love to drive them-the extra warranty is worth it!

Matt Dillon
10-16-2019, 10:24 PM
Clay Robbins is the Best I've seen so far & I've looked at several others including my Local Dealership (which tried to Screw me)! :(

phantomapollyon
08-02-2022, 01:11 PM
I've gotten mine through Zegilar/Warranty Direct. I would go Clay R. though first, I only got mine before I found out he beats their prices also.

Clay Robbins is the Best I've seen so far & I've looked at several others including my Local Dealership (which tried to Screw me)! :(

I know it's been forever since this thread was active, but can either of you send contact info for Clay if you happen to still have it?

13COBRA
08-02-2022, 01:15 PM
I know it's been forever since this thread was active, but can either of you send contact info for Clay if you happen to still have it?

https://www.robbinscdjrf.com/

phantomapollyon
08-02-2022, 01:32 PM
https://www.robbinscdjrf.com/

Thank you, much appreciated! I called and used their directory and left a VM so hopefully that's the right way.

finalleaf
08-02-2022, 02:03 PM
I just got mine extended through Clay (someone else at that dealership is doing it now) a month ago!

Lawineer
08-02-2022, 02:27 PM
Thank you, much appreciated! I called and used their directory and left a VM so hopefully that's the right way.

If you get in touch with him, try to get his email!

phantomapollyon
08-02-2022, 02:41 PM
I just got mine extended through Clay (someone else at that dealership is doing it now) a month ago!

Do you happen to have a name/number for that person you dealt with just in case the leaving a message route doesn't go as planned?

Fulltilt
08-02-2022, 02:58 PM
I got the extended warranty back in the day for my 2015. For some reason I feel like it expires next year. Good reminder to go back through my documents.

finalleaf
08-02-2022, 03:08 PM
Do you happen to have a name/number for that person you dealt with just in case the leaving a message route doesn't go as planned?

garrett@robbinsmotors.com

Gen5snake
08-03-2022, 08:15 AM
https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/

TheMadMachinist
08-04-2022, 05:49 PM
Just remember your extended warranty is only as good as your local dealership.

I bought one for my 2013 back in the day and is was well worth the money in the long run.

Sniper
08-04-2022, 07:56 PM
Just remember your extended warranty is only as your local dealership.

I bought one for my 2013 back in the day and is was well worth the money in the long run.

What does this mean?

Steve M
08-04-2022, 08:16 PM
It's missing the word "good", as in, "Just remember your extended warranty is only as good as your local dealership."

Which is a great point...the number of dealerships that will honor a warranty AND do quality work on a car that is no longer supported by the manufacturer has to be getting pretty small.

Sniper
08-05-2022, 07:54 AM
Has anyone recently purchased a max care warranty lately and what price did you pay?

This is what I’m showing at https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/
5 years $100 dead for $7475

chryslerwarrantydirect.com quoted me $7105 for same warranty

13COBRA
08-05-2022, 08:57 AM
Has anyone recently purchased a max care warranty lately and what price did you pay?

This is what I’m showing at https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/
5 years $100 dead for $7475

chryslerwarrantydirect.com quoted me $7105 for same warranty

Is there anyone in St. Joe that will work on one?

I've had a ton of guys from up North bring their cars to me.

We sell Zurich extended service contracts on them, I've helped 6 or 7 guys on the forum with them. If you PM your VIN and miles I can get you a quote on one.

Steve-Indy
08-05-2022, 08:59 AM
While I have always had our Vipers covered by a 7 year Chrysler warranty plan, the point raised by Steve M is very important:
"...the number of dealerships that will honor a warranty AND do quality work on a car that is no longer supported by the manufacturer has to be getting pretty small."

I would further add that many of us have been extremely disappointed in the lack of OEM parts to use in repairs.

"Back in the day" (late 1990's) when I first purchased extended warranties for our Vipers, the cost was $1,200. As time passed, snd prices rose,, the extended warranty for our Gen V cost $2,000...and, I was quite happy with that.

Over the years as good luck and good maintenence both played their roles, I never had to make a claim on the extended warranties. Some money lost...yes, but lots of peace of mind over the 22 year period.

That said. $7,000 is a LOT OF MONEY to spend on the HOPE that the needed parts and an experienced tech will be around to make the necessary repairs.

Gen5snake
08-05-2022, 09:03 AM
The only dealer that will look at my car is over an hour away. All other local dealers will not touch Vipers. However, if I do the repair myself, the local dealer will cover the cost of the part. I did that for my infotainment unit.

Sniper
08-05-2022, 09:37 AM
Is there anyone in St. Joe that will work on one?

I've had a ton of guys from up North bring their cars to me.

We sell Zurich extended service contracts on them, I've helped 6 or 7 guys on the forum with them. If you PM your VIN and miles I can get you a quote on one.

I’ve been taking my car to Woodhouse in Blaire NE for work. They replaced my motor under warranty.
Is the warranty you’re referring to the Max Care factory warranty?

finalleaf
08-05-2022, 11:13 AM
I've been waiting on a window regulator from dealership for over 3 months now, even if the dealership can do the work there's no guarantee parts will be available, if they ever will be again?

Martin
08-05-2022, 11:14 AM
Something that people might want to look into - your insurance company might offer the warranty alongside your insurance policy. When I went to insure my Rubicon 392, they offered it as an add-on, and it's only about $100/year with $100 deductible. Coverage, as far as I can tell, is the same as Max Care - and better than Max Care when it comes to the free rental car. Max Care only gives you the car for a few days, the insurance will cover the car for up to 30 days per incident.

The carrier is Geico - so if you have Geico, check it out. I haven't ever had to use it, but it looks like a good deal.

Another thing is that you don't have to go to the dealer. That's good for people who live reasonably close to a good independent Viper shop. Parts availability, as noted above, is going to be a huge pain going forward. Let's hope availability gets better - even if stuff is not OEM, there's a good business opportunity for aftermarket suppliers.

Sniper
08-05-2022, 11:30 AM
$1200 a year x 5 years = 6000

I can get a 5 year $100 ded max care warranty from my dealer for $4700

13COBRA
08-05-2022, 11:40 AM
I’ve been taking my car to Woodhouse in Blaire NE for work. They replaced my motor under warranty.
Is the warranty you’re referring to the Max Care factory warranty?

Same coverage, but instead of Stellantis signing the check it's Zurich (who is about 10x's bigger than Stellantis' reinsurance company and offers more flexibility.

For instance, if you have an issue and the mechanical part being replaced would be $1200 to replace and the part is not available, you can pick out the upgraded part ($1800 or whatever) and cover the difference and Zurich still covers the original amount.

Martin
08-05-2022, 11:52 AM
$1200 a year x 5 years = 6000

I can get a 5 year $100 ded max care warranty from my dealer for $4700

Actually, it's $100/year. So after five years, it's $500. I haven't used it yet, but it seems like a good deal. Price may be higher on a Viper - when I insured my Rubicon 392, they classified it as a "Jeep Wrangler Rubicon" and they probably didn't have enough data to know that the 392 is a $100k Jeep....

When I bought my ACR-E, I got a Max Care 8 year, 50,000 mile, $200 deductible (I think) for $2400. I thought that was expensive, but at today's prices, I'm glad I did it.

EDIT: I read the policy, and there are some restrictions. The car must have been purchased within the past 15 months, and have less than 15,000 miles on it. That's a bit vague as they don't say the car must be "less than 15 months old" and they don't specifically say that used cars aren't covered. The other restriction is that you have to insure through Geico, which isn't the "best" coverage, but it's never let me down.

Sniper
08-05-2022, 06:36 PM
I bought the platinum warranty from Dodge as I got a 2 year no interest loan to pay for it.

Sniper
08-07-2022, 04:43 PM
Also, it’s nice to know my 2013 Viper will have bumper to bumper warranty for another 5 years.
Especially after just replacing a motor.

StrokerAce
08-07-2022, 04:57 PM
Also, it’s nice to know my 2013 Viper will have bumper to bumper warranty for another 5 years.
Especially after just replacing a motor.

Yup. I'm going with it, too, I think.

Martin
08-07-2022, 10:29 PM
sounds cool to me - I had zero interest in the Dodge platinum plan, and I'm not feeling any pain yet.

Trainerdave
08-07-2022, 10:30 PM
Same here on the window regulator (my driver side is stuck down) and the shit of it is that if you go to Mopar genuine part website they have them in stock.

finalleaf
08-07-2022, 11:16 PM
Same here on the window regulator (my driver side is stuck down) and the shit of it is that if you go to Mopar genuine part website they have them in stock.

I tried ordering off a bunch of sites, it's all out of stock even if they say its in stock, they'll refund your order after like 2 hours telling you its back ordered

Sniper
08-08-2022, 06:47 AM
aaa

ViperGeorge
08-08-2022, 08:34 AM
I tried ordering off a bunch of sites, it's all out of stock even if they say its in stock, they'll refund your order after like 2 hours telling you its back ordered

Yup. They have been on national backorder for at least 6 months. I haven't tried in the last few days though so maybe they are back?

Martin
08-08-2022, 09:07 AM
For some of these parts, there may be a few used ones around. There are a few vendors around here that might have something sitting on the shelf that will work long enough for Mopar to get its act together.

ViperGeorge
08-08-2022, 11:33 AM
Just checked. Regulators are NOT back in stock. There is still no ETA on when they might be.

finalleaf
08-08-2022, 11:40 AM
Just checked. Regulators are NOT back in stock. There is still no ETA on when they might be.

im just imagining bunch of viper owners with stuck windows for close to a year now

ViperGeorge
08-08-2022, 01:35 PM
im just imagining bunch of viper owners with stuck windows for close to a year now

Yup. This is truly stupid of Dodge. The regulators are pieces of crap to start with and now they haven't been in stock for many, many months. So you have a vehicle worth over $100,000 and if the window regulator breaks it becomes a piece of garage art. There is a company that repairs them but I don't know how good they are.

https://powerwindowrepair.com/services-we-offer/

BSLSK
08-08-2022, 01:51 PM
Yup. This is truly stupid of Dodge. The regulators are pieces of crap to start with and now they haven't been in stock for many, many months. So you have a vehicle worth over $100,000 and if the window regulator breaks it becomes a piece of garage art. There is a company that repairs them but I don't know how good they are.

https://powerwindowrepair.com/services-we-offer/

That company is highly recommended by several viper owners and even viper techs. I personally haven't used them yet, but I will if my regulators do decide to fail even with the viper store reinforcement kit installed.

Martin
08-08-2022, 03:48 PM
Do the upgraded bosses help to keep these things alive? I bought them a few years ago, but never installed them. I was hoping the Viper tech would do it when he replaced my regulator, but no-go on that.

StrokerAce
08-08-2022, 06:09 PM
Do the upgraded bosses help to keep these things alive? I bought them a few years ago, but never installed them. I was hoping the Viper tech would do it when he replaced my regulator, but no-go on that.

They do not. lol

Steve-Indy
08-08-2022, 07:02 PM
If you mean the DSE bosses (" window clips"), they are working quite well in the Gen V Vipers in which they have been installed in my local Region. It pays to follow the directions and use the Loctite.

Of course, the window regulators are an independent entity.

StrokerAce
08-08-2022, 07:27 PM
Yes. They do their job but as stated they don't help with the regulator.

ViperGeorge
08-09-2022, 08:33 AM
With the lack of parts availability (window regulators, ball joints, door latch mechanisms, etc.) one has to wonder if buying an extended warranty is even worth it. Heck if your car breaks can they even get the part you need to fix it? Could they find a Viper Tech even?

I could also add window glass, body panels (hoods, sills, and more) that are no longer available. Yes, body panels wouldn't be covered under any warranty but still if you damage your hood you probably just totaled the car.

These cars deserve better service from Dodge. Maybe we should file some kind of class action law suit against them. Is that possible?

Sniper
08-09-2022, 09:15 AM
Warranty on an up to 15 year old car, priceless!
Like I said, my motor was just replaced and that would’ve cost me over $30000.00
Things like transmission, I would hate to not have a warranty on this car.

ViperGeorge
08-09-2022, 10:55 AM
Warranty on an up to 15 year old car, priceless!
Like I said, my motor was just replaced and that would’ve cost me over $30000.00
Things like transmission, I would hate to not have a warranty on this car.

True, engine replacement would be expensive. My 2014 has a 10 year powertrain warranty due to R28. My 2017 has a 9 liter so it wouldn't be covered anyway.

PkB2014
08-09-2022, 11:09 AM
ya'll making me consider selling mine. never would've dreamed i'd even consider it ever when i bought it.

BSLSK
08-09-2022, 11:24 AM
It's a waste of time to go after Dodge. The whole situation does suck but they made so few Vipers that it's never going to ever be worth it. Businesses have to be profitable or they won't be around. That's just the way the world works. The best thing for us to do now is to support the vendors that keep the Viper going. I knew this was going to be somewhat of an issue when I bought the car and it's not going to stop me from keeping it or driving it.

ViperGeorge
08-09-2022, 01:10 PM
It's a waste of time to go after Dodge. The whole situation does suck but they made so few Vipers that it's never going to ever be worth it. Businesses have to be profitable or they won't be around. That's just the way the world works. The best thing for us to do now is to support the vendors that keep the Viper going. I knew this was going to be somewhat of an issue when I bought the car and it's not going to stop me from keeping it or driving it.

I think it is reasonable to expect things like window regulators to be available for a car that is only 5 years old. I wonder if Ford still has window regulators for the Ford GT from 2005. I'd bet they do.

Lawineer
08-09-2022, 02:54 PM
Given the price of some parts on this car, seems like this is a bargain. Especially if you track it.
I was considering getting one of these third party extended warranties on my BRZ track car.
It technically hasn't been in any competitive events and the engine is stock. The way that thing eats transmissions...