PDA

View Full Version : High Performance Driver's Education (HPDE) Course

CarolinaViper
04-13-2016, 12:14 PM
NASA-SE has provided our Region a $100.00 discount code to be used if you register for this event. This makes the total cost for this two-day event only $169.00 (for current NASA members) and only $214.00 (for non-NASA members). The discount code is: SEVIPERS$100-15332.

The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) South East region is offering a two-day High Performance Driver's Education course at the Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP), Kershaw, SC, open to ALL Viper year models - even Gen III/IV convertibles with factory "Roll Over Protection". This is not a VOA sponsored event and is limited to a small number of participants who sign up with NASA-SE on a first come - first pay basis. Josh Schwartz and I attended this two-day course in February and were really impressed with the level on instruction that was provided.

If you are interested in attending, you will need to register sooner than later, because they limited the number of students in the HPDE-1 category.
HPDE (from NASA website) Link: http://nasa-se.com/2016May14.php

If you are interested in learning the basics of High Performance Driving, or simply want to drive your car on a racetrack in a controlled and professionally staffed environment, then HPDE is for you. HPDE gives drivers a chance to test their skills and learn from NASA's cadre of experienced instructors in a venue designed for safe spirited driving far away from the risks present on the street. NASA's HPDE program has become the standard for the 'open track' industry and features multiple skill levels to ensure that drivers are able to enjoy a safe and fun day at the track.

The cost of this NASA-SE event is substantially lower than us trying to rent the track for an VOA exclusive event. Each day NASA will conduct approximately three classroom instruction sessions (about 20-30 minutes each) and 4 to 5 driving sessions (20-30 minutes each) on the track. Passing on the track will only be allowed in the straights and only with a "Point By" from the car ahead of you that you are passing.

DATES: May 14 - 15, 2016 (Saturday & Sunday)

COST:
$169.00 For current NASA members USE THE PROMOTIONAL CODE ABOVE.

New Membership Cost: $45.00.

Total cost for a new NASA membership and HPDE course $45.00 + $269.00 = $214.00 USE THE PROMOTIONAL CODE ABOVE

IMPORTANT LINKS: to NASA web page

Registration to HPDE (Choose the HPDE1) course at CMP, Kershaw, SC (if not already a NASA member, you will be prompted to join: https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/2205

HPDE Course Technical Inspection Inspection Form: https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/277/form_hpde_tech.pdf

Rules for Convertibles for NASA sponsored events: http://nasa-se.com/hpde.php (scroll 2/3 down the page and review "Convertibles")

HOTEL:
Hotel Specials
Executive Inn
301 S Hampton St
Kershaw, SC 29067
$50/night plus tax (book for 2 nights)
$55/night plus tax (book for 1 night)
Call (803) 475-7575 and ask for NASA or Racing rate.

As the Executive Inn is a very, very basic hotel (about 5-10 minutes from the track) NASA-SE also provided a link to other hotels in the area.
Link to other hotels in the area: http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/restaurants--hotels.html

Jeff Barnes,
Carolinas VOA President

C.J
04-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Thanks Jeff!

Josrocket
04-13-2016, 12:43 PM
This is the cheapest deal going to get your viper on the track for an entire weekend and to learn how to really drive your car. Dont miss out. It's the most fun you can have with clothes on! Let us know if you guys have any questions and when you are signed up.

CarolinaViper
04-13-2016, 01:28 PM
This is the cheapest deal going to get your viper on the track for an entire weekend and to learn how to really drive your car. Dont miss out. It's the most fun you can have with clothes on! Let us know if you guys have any questions and when you are signed up.

Those that have signed up.

Jeff B.

braunstein82
04-14-2016, 12:33 AM
Is there any track day insurance available?

Josrocket
04-14-2016, 06:55 AM
Is there any track day insurance available?

There are several companies that offer it but It's up to you on whether you want it or not. Most insurance companies will cover you because its a drivers education event. You are not racing or doing time trials. State Farm is fine with HPDE events. Only difference is that if a claim is made with your insurance company it raises your rates and what not. Track day will keep everything off your record.

You can get extra insurance if you choose here
https://ontrackinsurance.com/

There's a few other companies.

I dont do it and I dont think Jeff does either especially for tracks like CMP

CMP has no walls. There is nothing to run into so it's a very safe and fun track. I wouldnt bother if I were you.

CarolinaViper
04-17-2016, 09:04 PM
I received an email from the President of NASA-SE, who related if we got 5 or 6 Vipers to attend the HPDE course in May, he would provide a free entry (a $269.00 value) for the next event held at Kershaw. I figure we could auction it off at one of our events this year. If you are thinking about attending and have any questions shoot me a PM, email, or call @ 828-442-3393.

Jeff

Josrocket
04-18-2016, 07:07 AM
Im putting my new stoptech bbk on this weekend. I am so excited to try it out on the track.

Special Ed
04-18-2016, 02:27 PM
Ok Jeff I just registered.

CarolinaViper
04-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Ok Jeff I just registered.

Great,

Anyone else...best fun in your Viper that you will ever have.

Wx-manBen
04-20-2016, 10:51 AM
I have run with NASA-SE for years, I have had some of the best instructors with them. I have met great people, had tons of fun on track, and Jim Pantas runs a good show. Beware of Executive Inn, stay there if you do not care about how nice it is and you just want a place to sleep. We usually stay there because of that reason and we have stayed there since I was a kid when we went to CMP. CMP is an awesome track, BRING EXTRA PADS if you are running stock pads. CMP has two short straights and 14 turns, pads and tires do not last there.

CarolinaViper
04-20-2016, 02:18 PM
I have run with NASA-SE for years, I have had some of the best instructors with them. I have met great people, had tons of fun on track, and Jim Pantas runs a good show. Beware of Executive Inn, stay there if you do not care about how nice it is and you just want a place to sleep. We usually stay there because of that reason and we have stayed there since I was a kid when we went to CMP. CMP is an awesome track, BRING EXTRA PADS if you are running stock pads. CMP has two short straights and 14 turns, pads and tires do not last there.

Thanks for the encouraging words...just check my brake pads they are have about 3/4 pad left. That's with three track days (five 20-minute sessions per day) and 8800 miles on the Gen V over the last year on stock brakes. Listen to Wx-man Ben and check your pads if you gave 2/3rd or more on a Gen V you will be fine...I will give Tom Sessions a call and see what he advises for the other Generations of Vipers.

jeff

cab33
04-20-2016, 02:22 PM
It would be great to get this offer again for the November CMP... I will be on the way back from VIR.
That would great to hit another track on the way back to Florida.

CarolinaViper
04-20-2016, 03:17 PM
I will try, but it will determine how many we can get to attend in May. It a win win for both of us. We get a great price with great instruction. They get to advertise and show that Viper owners attend their events.

Jeff

Josrocket
04-21-2016, 07:24 AM
That coupon should work on any event you sign up for.

Wx-manBen
04-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words...just check my brake pads they are have about 3/4 pad left. That's with three track days (five 20-minute sessions per day) and 8800 miles on the Gen V over the last year on stock brakes. Listen to Wx-man Ben and check your pads if you gave 2/3rd or more on a Gen V you will be fine...I will give Tom Sessions a call and see what he advises for the other Generations of Vipers.

jeff

No problem, I burned a whole set of Hawk HPS front pads in a day at CMP. Granted that was in a mustang, a Viper's pads should last a little longer. Even if you have full pads, bring an extra set if you are running stockers. You do not want to be at a track day with no pads!

Jim and Julie also have beginning of the year discounts on track events. Those of you who get hooked, watch nasaproracing.com at the beginning of next year on NASA-SE event pricing and I think it is roughly $50 or more off. I am sure they will be willing to deal with a VOA discount as well.

CarolinaViper
04-21-2016, 03:07 PM
That coupon should work on any event you sign up for.

The coupon will only work for the May event. I paid the full amount before the coupon became available and asked Jim if I could use the code in Nov, he said its only good for this one event in May.

Jeff

Josrocket
04-25-2016, 09:32 AM
Anyone else?

No hemi
04-28-2016, 02:48 PM
I work this weekend .... :mad:

braunstein82
05-06-2016, 06:21 AM
So what's the overall status of this? I don't think my car is up-to par to be on the track. But thinking about coming to hang out with you all the weekend. I plan on going to the goldrush rally drag race event in Charlotte Sunday night.

Josrocket
05-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Why would your car not be ready. Its just driving. Just need to make sure you got a good set of brake pads with some meat, a helmet and youre good to go. You could also bring your bmw. But you are welcome to attend and watch. Its a ton of fun. High energy.

braunstein82
05-06-2016, 08:24 PM
I got a small random pop coming from rear once in a while. Don't want to put to much strain on it until Tom gets a chance to look at it. The BMW has crappy all seasons on it still. Who knows, if they got a spot open when I get out there, maybe I'll talk myself into it. Lol.

Josrocket
05-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Its best to go on street tires your first time. They squeal. R-comps dont.