PDA

View Full Version : Front splitter removal on 2010 ACR. How hard is it to get off?

Rizzo
12-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Hey guys. I am having the car shipped but to avoid any chance of the front splitter being hit or broken or scraped I thought I would just take it off to make it easier to get around and to get in to an enclosed trailer. How hard is it to take off and what is required?

Thanks guys.

6th-Element
12-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Unless you are using one of those big staggered car haulers like the dealerships use, your splitter is better off staying on the car, it won't catch on anything, but it sure can be busted up rolling around loose

FLATOUT
12-30-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm sure the seller will be there to supervise. Many times they'll use boards staggered to get them in the hauler safely. When I took delivery of my car I was out there helping the driver to unload it safely.

To answer you question though you have a number of fasteners underneath, and cables that secure it to a cross bar under the air box. If its never been removed before than it is also bonded to the under tray body work. Probably more work than simply supervising the loading and unloading.

Rizzo
12-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Oh shit...lol. Sounds like a lot more work than I thought. I figured it would just be bolted on. Unfortunately I wont be there to help load it so I guess I will have to tell the shipper to be VERY careful as Ive heard those front splitter pieces are stupid expensive if you break them.

ViperGeorge
12-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Removing the cable supports is easy. One bolt that attaches each side to the round cross bar behind the grill. Then you have to remove the belly screws, easy. Next you need to drill out the rivets on each end and then pry the splitter away from the front bumper cover. As mentioned above it is bonded with double faced tape - strong but it comes off.

Re-install in the reverse order after cleaning off old tap residue. You'll need some strong double faced tape and the special 1/4 inch rivets that hold the ends on or you could use bolts. You can access the rear of where the rivet goes by removing the access door in front of the tire. That's if you use bolts. The rivets are like $5 each from Chrysler and you'll also need a 1/4 inch rivet gun (available on ebay or amazon). The rivets also have one backing washer which you can find at any hardware store. All in all not hard but a pain.

RedTanRT/10
12-30-2013, 06:35 PM
A professional should be careful loading, would help if the seller took off the splitter extension. If you've not seen what they look like, Here's a picture, and as Flatout wrote their are also two cables connecting the base to the cross bar by the radiator support. I'd leave it on and use a quality shipper

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/images/products/1120_large_image.jpg

V10LEE
12-30-2013, 08:16 PM
No need to remove the front splitter. Just a waste of time,and a headache. I had my 2010 ACR delivered to me perfect.. All the way from Missouri..

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr197/rapid25_2008/DSCN1301.jpg (http://s483.photobucket.com/user/rapid25_2008/media/DSCN1301.jpg.html)

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr197/rapid25_2008/DSCN1304.jpg (http://s483.photobucket.com/user/rapid25_2008/media/DSCN1304.jpg.html)

LATAMUD
12-30-2013, 08:17 PM
I agree I'd leave it on. I scrape mine in and out of my driveway, that's what the sacrificial front lip is for.

My ACR splitter is on a 2003 Vert, I don't use the double sided tape and have had mine off a lot over the past year. I just undo the 4 bolts that hold bolt cables to the top of the splitter, leave the cables mounted on the round frame bar, all the mounting screws along the rear outer edge under the car (in front of each tire), I used screws on the outermost holes that originally used rivets. Under the car, 4 bolts holding the splitter to the frame rails. Might be able to use a thread type waxed floss to slice the double sided tape.

SNKEBIT
12-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Leave it on. It will lift up a little bit to help clear an inch or two. They are pretty sturdy. Too much work to remove.

Rizzo
12-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Ill just be leaving it on. Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it. I didn't think it would be that big of deal but if lots of you have shipped your cars with it on then Ill leave it. I will just make sure the driver knows how expensive the splitters are...lol.

Coloviper
12-31-2013, 03:18 PM
The bigger problem is driving it around Regina with the pot holes!

Rizzo
12-31-2013, 03:26 PM
The bigger problem is driving it around Regina with the pot holes!

I'm just going to fill the front splitter and grill up with asphalt and hit the brakes just before every pot hole. The asphalt will spill out and fill the holes and then Ill steam roll it with the big fat tires and voila... holes will be gone...LOL.

Back In Black
12-31-2013, 05:46 PM
I can remove mine in 5 minutes. You can't believe the amount of crap that gets wedged in between the splitter and fascia. Especially if you plow through the asparagus. :)