PDA

View Full Version : 6th gear shudder

gcrain
04-12-2016, 03:12 PM
I am getting a shudder in the drivetrain over 75 mph in 6th gear only. It is not their in 5th and 4th. Any ideas?

Policy Limits
04-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Can u post a vid or sound clip? Only complaints so far in 6th from some have been diff whine.

swexlin
04-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Can u post a vid or sound clip? Only complaints so far in 6th from some have been diff whine.

Agree, can you post a clip, or describe more?

Jack B
04-13-2016, 06:14 AM
Is it rpm specific

Agree, can you post a clip, or describe more?

gcrain
04-13-2016, 01:50 PM
I must have forgotten to hit post last night. It seems to be speed dpecific and only in 6th gear. 3rd gear has a high pitched whine. Viper tech rode with me today and said the transmission needs to be replaced. The car has been in the shop 95% of the time since I got it. I've really only gotten to use it twice since I got it. I have some concerns I am not really getting a fair value with having to replace the transmission on a brand new car

swexlin
04-13-2016, 02:25 PM
I must have forgotten to hit post last night. It seems to be speed dpecific and only in 6th gear. 3rd gear has a high pitched whine. Viper tech rode with me today and said the transmission needs to be replaced. The car has been in the shop 95% of the time since I got it. I've really only gotten to use it twice since I got it. I have some concerns I am not really getting a fair value with having to replace the transmission on a brand new car

Are you sure it's not diff whine? Many of us have some, some have had a real howl and needed replacement. Mine has a slight whine, noticeable at 60+, in a high gear, with the radio down. Not awful, but it's there. Before going into the transmission, verify that it's not the diff.

Edit - I see that the tech was with you, and that you originally had a shudder as well. Maybe it is the trans......please keep us posted.

Policy Limits
04-13-2016, 02:27 PM
Blows. Imagine how the owners of the 50 engines or so that went boom feel. I'd get a second opinion before replacing the transmission

swexlin
04-13-2016, 02:32 PM
Blows. Imagine how the owners of the 50 engines or so that went boom feel. I'd get a second opinion before replacing the transmission

Agree on the 2nd opinion.

gcrain
04-13-2016, 09:51 PM
Agree on the 2nd opinion.

I got a call from SRT and was told it was the SRT engineers that made the call to replace the transmission

swexlin
04-14-2016, 06:13 AM
I got a call from SRT and was told it was the SRT engineers that made the call to replace the transmission

Good to hear. I've noticed with others on here that sometimes it takes a call to SRT to prompt the dealers to get moving!

Policy Limits
04-14-2016, 06:34 AM
Sixth gear is not an overdrive in this generation like it was previously. As a functional gear, I'm no where near 75 mph in 6th. That's more of a 4th gear speed. Maybe 5th

Agree on coordinating with FCA / SRT as the dealer orders parts and does service. They call and email until conclusion and I've done it for much smaller services than for a transmission replacement. Maybe it's just bad luck as they've used Tremec for years and other brands do as well without issue. Keep us posted.

Coloviper
04-14-2016, 07:58 AM
Try replacing your driveshaft u-joints as sounds like the shudder is associated with that. Reason it is not happening in all gears at the same speed is has to do with the loading on the drivetrain in whatever gear at whatever speed. A 6th gear at lower rpms is really loading the drivetrain up which can cause a already existing problem to be exacerbated. My older Cayenne Turbo eats Torsen Pucks (like u-joints) in all other vehicles, every 40k miles. When they go, depending on where I am, I sometimes have to limp it home and peddle (like a NHRA drive) feathering it home between the gears. It can be a major shutter if loaded to much when it happens. Worth a try!

gcrain
04-16-2016, 01:20 AM
Got a call today that it will be 4 weeks before they have the new transmission. Ugh. Took 11 weeks to get a part the last time.