PDA

View Full Version : Update traction control

cab33
04-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Can the stability/traction control on the SRT be upgraded(post purchase) with the other modes(sport and track)?

Belobog
04-12-2016, 08:31 AM
I was wondering the same thing. Seems like all the hardware required is present.

swexlin
04-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Yes - in fact, see Flatouts thread right now - he is selling his original equipment. Requires the updated dampers, and center stack for the console.

On edit: sorry, you mean the traction control, not dampeners. I think you can though. Personally, I don't see the need. I've never turned mine off once, let alone need 5 modes, but to each his own.

Belobog
04-12-2016, 08:53 AM
The traction control feels fairly restrictive, so I'd like to be able to turn it off while leaving stability control on. I think Track mode does that.

Voice of Reason
04-12-2016, 08:59 AM
It always puzzled me that the 13 Track Pack cars had the worse traction system installed. On/Off is good for the C&C crowd but someone pushing their car can really use the different stages to help them learn the limits of the car. I'm glad my TA has the multi mode one, in Auto X I turn it off by "one click" whatever that setting is. But on the road course I leave it full on and will for at least another year while I'm learning.

swexlin
04-12-2016, 09:16 AM
It always puzzled me that the 13 Track Pack cars had the worse traction system installed. On/Off is good for the C&C crowd but someone pushing their car can really use the different stages to help them learn the limits of the car. I'm glad my TA has the multi mode one, in Auto X I turn it off by "one click" whatever that setting is. But on the road course I leave it full on and will for at least another year while I'm learning.

This is an excellent point.

Nemesis
04-12-2016, 08:46 PM
I find the multi stage to be very helpful especially tracking.. I run track mode in the mornings while I am getting warmed back up and the track and car are warming up and then usually run full off in the afternoons once my head is back into the car and I am comfortable.

Arizona Vipers
04-13-2016, 01:01 AM
So the traction control on a 2013 Track Pack car is different? Interesting...
When I track the car, the only time I feel it and see the dash light is when I first floor the car after the first turn it'll kill the power for a few seconds and
the dash flashes, then after that there's NOTHING. I don't feel anything kick in or see anything on the dash and I push the car hard.
Is it being shut off after that first time? Has anyone experienced this?

cab33
04-13-2016, 02:46 PM
So the traction control on a 2013 Track Pack car is different? Interesting...
When I track the car, the only time I feel it and see the dash light is when I first floor the car after the first turn it'll kill the power for a few seconds and
the dash flashes, then after that there's NOTHING. I don't feel anything kick in or see anything on the dash and I push the car hard.
Is it being shut off after that first time? Has anyone experienced this?

I would guess that is cold tires and the traction control kicking in.

Arizona Vipers
04-13-2016, 09:48 PM
I would guess that is cold tires and the traction control kicking in.
It happens under 3/4 throttle after first turn, then never again. There's no way the Hoosiers temperatures would be that different just going down a short straight.
This stopped happening at all after Venom computer was installed.

Dman
04-14-2016, 09:07 AM
My 2 cents is I think it's ridiculous that SRT offers two different configs on the mode settings, all cars should have the 5 mode (well 4 mode, who cares about rain), it's really jinky that a road course designed car, in any trim, wouldn't have modes for sport and track in this day & age, and I'm not a 'nannies' guy, but they dumped a crap load of money into that perfectly tweaked 5 mode system according to Ralph and every car should get it.

If I don't put my car into track mode, the system is invasive on the road course and autoX, and gets in the way. I race competitively wheel to wheel in other classes, so it may be that I'm driving a bit harder in the car, but I don't go 10/10ths in my viper ever ... having tasted a tire wall at 80mph, I ensure as much as possible the snake has no such possibility of that happening. But IMO, the track mode is a gem, if you feel it, it's because you need it and it's helping to save the car and is, at that point, not unpredictable or unsettling. The standard street mode is a PITA on anything other than the street, although I put the car in track mode even on the street since I never want to feel it unless it's 'needed' as a parachute. It'd be awesome if this were upgradable for the SRT models.

cab33
04-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Who would be the one to ask if it's possible?

Dman
04-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Who would be the one to ask if it's possible?

If it were me, I'd call Andy Wheeler, and Mark J, and ask them about it. If they don't know, then it's a question for an SRT engineer.

cab33
04-14-2016, 10:40 AM
If it were me, I'd call Andy Wheeler, and Mark J, and ask them about it. If they don't know, then it's a question for an SRT engineer.

Already asked Andy and he said he did not know.
Email is in to Mark.

mjorgensen
04-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Already asked Andy and he said he did not know.
Email is in to Mark.

The configuration would have to be changed in the car and involve engineering, they will not ok this. Each car is tuned for the brake, suspension and tire specs of that car. The ABS tuning is also different and plays a role in the stability program so not recommended to mess with the programming.

Coloviper
04-14-2016, 03:07 PM
Mark;

If you upgrade the physical parts to a TA or GTS (brakes, pads, center stack, this or that) can you not just dump in a TA or GTS program? No reason to reinvent the wheel here, just have a check list of physical parts needed beforehand to then integrate with an already developed program in the ECU. Seems simple enough. Might require a stay in a Holiday Inn Express the night before.

mjorgensen
04-14-2016, 03:38 PM
Mark;

If you upgrade the physical parts to a TA or GTS (brakes, pads, center stack, this or that) can you not just dump in a TA or GTS program? No reason to reinvent the wheel here, just have a check list of physical parts needed beforehand to then integrate with an already developed program in the ECU. Seems simple enough. Might require a stay in a Holiday Inn Express the night before.

Well I haven't been to a Holiday Inn Express for a while now so I just call the guy who knows LOL. When you hook up to do a re flash the WiTech looks for a VIN and configures any programming based on that. In order to get an alternate program approved and installed the engineering team would need to sign off and the pretty much never happens, liability issues always trump actual needs I guess.

We have changed TONS of brakes, shocks, pads, tires, gears... and although never changed to a different program they all work great. the OP wants to add a factory feature though and according to my sources (I do not claim to know everything personally) this is not possible at the dealer level.

darbgnik
04-14-2016, 06:48 PM
This makes sense actually. Even though all sensors needed are there, the jump from 2(or 3 with rain) mode to 5 mode is one of the selling features for an upgrade for some buyers. I can't imagine FCA allowing a circumvention of this, for monetary reasons alone.

Along this line, maybe you can answer this Mark, is there a difference in the full-on, in the 2 mode and 5 mode stability programs? The reason why I ask, is I have read many complain about being slower, and the full-on being obtrusive on track, yet I have never noticed the intervention. As I've tried to describe, the stability program isn't exactly a traction control system, and I can light the tires up and bounce off the rev limiter all day long with the car in full-on. The only time it's ever stepped in, is when the car starts getting sideways, and I mean more than a little sideways. It's loose, and I really like it that way.

Now I will admit, on track, I try to draw a straight line through corners, and don't try to impersonate Ken Block.

Malu59RT
04-15-2016, 06:38 AM
This makes sense actually. Even though all sensors needed are there, the jump from 2(or 3 with rain) mode to 5 mode is one of the selling features for an upgrade for some buyers. I can't imagine FCA allowing a circumvention of this, for monetary reasons alone.

Along this line, maybe you can answer this Mark, is there a difference in the full-on, in the 2 mode and 5 mode stability programs? The reason why I ask, is I have read many complain about being slower, and the full-on being obtrusive on track, yet I have never noticed the intervention. As I've tried to describe, the stability program isn't exactly a traction control system, and I can light the tires up and bounce off the rev limiter all day long with the car in full-on. The only time it's ever stepped in, is when the car starts getting sideways, and I mean more than a little sideways. It's loose, and I really like it that way.

Now I will admit, on track, I try to draw a straight line through corners, and don't try to impersonate Ken Block.

On my GTS, with full traction/stability control on, it doesn't let the tire spin too much or doesn't let you get too sideways. When I did the Viper experience, I was surprised at how much I could make the tail end step out (accidentally) compared to my GTS, but that car was a GT.

On my GTS, if I click into ESC Sport mode (traction and stability reduced) the car lets the tires spin a reasonable amount, and in ESC Track mode (traction off and stability reduced), you can do burnouts and the car doesn't care. I personally never drive with stability control all the way off (most of the time in full on, very rarely in ESC Sport), because the program for stability reduced is designed to save you from looking like a complete idiot. It will step in a moment before you pass the point of no return.

This is the best stability control I have ever experienced in a car, JM2C.

mjorgensen
04-15-2016, 07:58 AM

The program, since originally developed for a car with the P zero choice or the sticky Corsa in mind is likely a little different and probably more "alert" to slippage than the car designed with the Corsa. Also if you have a stickier tire than what the car came with the TC/ESC will likely come on even less because your limits are higher already.