PDA

View Full Version : If you track, check for cracks.....wheel failure video

TrackAire
04-11-2016, 11:12 AM
This is an interesting video.....total wheel failure on a Honda S2000 at Buttomwillow. Always check your wheels very closely for cracks or defects before taking your car to the track.

The powder coating on this wheel seems super thick...maybe that's normal but it could hide tiny hairline fractures. And one more reason not to Plasti Dip your track wheels....the coating will totally hide even good sized cracks.

It doesn't matter on the brand of wheel, etc....they can all sustain damage after multiple track days. A word of caution..there is some colorful language on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtYjujhW27Q

fuggles
04-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Wow. Cracks everywhere after 14 track days. Modded S2Ks are fast, but still.
Yea I always clean and inspect the rims and tires after every event. It's a good habit to get into.

Mopar'er no car
04-11-2016, 11:55 AM
It was quite obvious the dude had never inspected thoes wheels...

Nine Ball
04-11-2016, 12:48 PM
I've had teams run a full season on those wheels, without issue. 14 track days doesn't tell us the whole story. How many times did he nail the apex curbing hard? How many times off track? But yes, I would advise everyone inspect their wheels prior to tracking. I also notice he modified the centercaps, which makes you wonder if he modified the wheel color at some point (powdercoated another color, etc..). Those F14 wheels are similar in construction to the Sidewinder 1 and 2, and Gen 5 ACR wheels.

Tony

J TNT
04-11-2016, 01:08 PM
WOW ! Good info indeed ! Thanks for sharing !

AZTVR
04-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the video. It reminds me that I haven't been doing a good job at remembering to inspect my wheels closely. I will certainly remember to do it now, before I take my S2000 to the track next !

FrgMstr
04-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Seems sort of suspect that it actually could very likely be a faulty wheel manufacture since all four showed the exact same kind of issue. All more the reason to check those when you have them off the car doing maintenance.

Vprbite
04-11-2016, 02:32 PM
I was gonna ask what would cause those to fail so badly on a pretty light car. And they are a pretty good brand, as far as I know.

So Tony, does changing the color effect the strength or just hide cracks?

And hitting the curbing. To me it feels like that stuff isn't as bad as some of our roads around here. But I suppose if you make a habit out of it, that can't be good for any wheel. Though all but the best drivers come up against that at least a little bit. Would he have had to ride those a lot or jump them completwly a number of times to cause such extensive damage on all of the wheels?

Timnineside
04-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Buys cheap(er) wheels and this happens. Then is surprised. Nothing wrong with the F14's IMO but yes inspect wheels and other components often.

TrackAire
04-11-2016, 04:15 PM
I've had teams run a full season on those wheels, without issue. 14 track days doesn't tell us the whole story. How many times did he nail the apex curbing hard? How many times off track? But yes, I would advise everyone inspect their wheels prior to tracking. I also notice he modified the centercaps, which makes you wonder if he modified the wheel color at some point (powdercoated another color, etc..). Those F14 wheels are similar in construction to the Sidewinder 1 and 2, and Gen 5 ACR wheels.

Tony

Tony,
Does the powder coating seem overly thick in the pictures of the broken spoke to you? Just seems a little out of normal to me.

XSnake
04-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Seems sort of suspect that it actually could very likely be a faulty wheel manufacture since all four showed the exact same kind of issue. All more the reason to check those when you have them off the car doing maintenance.

Yeah, the fact that all four wheels had cracks steers it more towards a manufacturing defect for me.

Madmav
04-13-2016, 09:31 AM
I bought a set 100% for the track with v720 on them, still going to track them but will remove and inspect them very carefully after each track day, but will now have that video in my head