PDA

View Full Version : ACR donut

ek1
04-09-2016, 09:24 AM
No, not that type :)

So I have this (wonderful/stupid, depending on who you ask) idea to drive my car from Woodhouse to NYC to cover most of the break-in period. Obviously there is no spare in the ACR, so with my luck I know I am going to be stuck in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night with 3 functional wheels.

Does anyone know what kind of a donut (space saver) tire would work on an ACR? I am talking about those wheels that come deflated (obviously you need a compressor) and can be used up to 50mph for like 100 miles or so?

My other car has 21" wheels and the donut I have on now is about 28" in diameter (rim with inflated tire) and about 5.5" wide. Since an ACR has 19" rims, I think the donut can be at least 2" smaller in diameter, which would make it possible to fit it either in the front seat or possibly in the trunk when fully deflated.

Any ideas?

supersnake
04-09-2016, 09:31 AM
I don't think you will find a wheel to go over the brake calipers and small enough to go in the trunk. I would not worry about it. You have the tire inflator and sealant already in the trunk

swexlin
04-09-2016, 09:46 AM
I have AAA 200 miles radius towing (flatbed for our cars of course). This, and Jon B's phone number who can get you a tire quickly. That being said, not every tire shop can handle our wheel/tire combo. Ask me how I know.

I agree however, this is my number one issue about driving in the boonies with this car. My Corsas are so sticky (and your Kumhos even more so) they pick up everything.

sparkrn
04-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Would a Gen 2 spare tire possibly get around those huge brakes is my first thought. If it does, buy one from a salvage company and ship it to Woodhouse in advance. Might be worth a try!

ek1
04-09-2016, 10:20 AM
I don't think you will find a wheel to go over the brake calipers and small enough to go in the trunk. I would not worry about it. You have the tire inflator and sealant already in the trunk

If the wheel won't fit in the trunk, it will go into the front passenger seat. My post is about finding the tire (brand/part #, where to buy etc). I'll figure out how to get it inside the car one way or another.

As far as "not worrying about it"....yes, I need to worry about it. It's a 1,250 mile trip. Nobody will have these tires in stock except Tire Rack and a few online stores. Any tow truck, even a flatbed will cause thousands of dollars of damage to splitters and underbody. I will be stuck on the side of the road for many hours, possibly in a dangerous spot where other cars may hit mine. All because I did not worry about having a donut. Hell of a way to spice up a road trip.

Sealant only works for minor punctures (nails, etc). It does not work for damage caused by hitting a pothole or road debris. Don't ask me how I know that.

BlknBlu
04-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Woodhouse may have an old front and rear tire you can put in the front seat and possibly the trunk for the trip home. But everyone with a GEN III and higher is in the same boat every day they back out of the garage.

Bruce

swexlin
04-09-2016, 11:07 AM
I agree Bruce. I think the OP's concern is with a flatbed - I know it was a hairy enough situation getting my Track Pack car on and off the flatbed (and the driver was very experienced an careful) without any damage to the fascia, let alone on the ACR.

Bottom line, it's a risk we take with these cars. The good thing is, with a nail or screw, it can sometimes be a slow enough leak (mine was, until the first tires shop tried to fix it) that you can drive on it a while - these sticky tires tend to seal around it. But as with the OP concern - if there is sidewall damage, pothole, etc, you're SOL.

Nine Ball
04-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Nobody makes a spare tire that will fit any Gen 3-5 Viper. But, if you are majorly concerned about it, I'd be happy to sell you a custom wheel that does clear the brakes. For me? I just bring a simple external plug kit and a can of fix-a-flat. It will get you rolling unless you have a blowout, but then you'd have bigger problems to deal with. Enjoy the car, don't worry so much.

Voice of Reason
04-09-2016, 11:59 AM
You're more likely to have an electrical gremlin only a dealer can solve on your 1,250 mile trip than a flat tire. Better hire the Woodhouse tech to ride back with you and fly him home.

Don't sweat the tire. Or electrical. You'll be fine.

jns681186
04-09-2016, 09:04 PM
I don't have ACR, but do have Gen 5 GT, I had the same concern about a month ago. I had planned to from North Texas, down to South Padre Island, which was about 600 miles 1 way, and I was fine.....It was actually a fun drive..... If something did happen it most likely wouldn't be a immediate blow out, so you could manage for sometime, especially if you had some kind of air pump with you......

ek1
04-09-2016, 09:50 PM
Voice of reason - You know what's another word for a "pessimist"? "An experienced optimist" :)

Maybe it's just my luck, but every time I hope "I'd be fine" with these things, I wasn't. So the quest for a spare tire continues. Even if the trip home will be fine, I am planning to drive to and from many track events this summer, i.e. hundreds of miles. It's only a matter of time until I have a tire that exploded. I just had one less than 2 weeks ago 3 miles from my house.

ek1
04-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Nobody makes a spare tire that will fit any Gen 3-5 Viper. But, if you are majorly concerned about it, I'd be happy to sell you a custom wheel that does clear the brakes. For me? I just bring a simple external plug kit and a can of fix-a-flat. It will get you rolling unless you have a blowout, but then you'd have bigger problems to deal with. Enjoy the car, don't worry so much.

Nine Ball, I dont yet have a car to enjoy (still being built), but check out what happened to my front right tire on my other car last week:

What do you think a plug kit and a can of fix a flat would do here? :)

This happened when getting off the highway, doing only about 40-45 mph. At 11PM at night. In the rain. I had a donut, jacked up the car, put it on and was on my way in 45 min. If I didn't have a spare, I'd be looking at 2-4 hrs for roadside assistance to get there, with a bonus of dealing with an idiot truck driver that damages half the cars he tows.

What I really need is an ACR-compatible version of this (came with one of my cars normally running 275/35ZR-21 tires):

If you can make it happen, pls PM me.

TrackAire
04-10-2016, 01:32 AM
If you can find a spare tire donut that is close enough in diameter to meet your needs, you might be able to use a 6 lug to 5 lug wheel adapter that would work to adapt a spare tire donut to the Vipers unique 6 lug hub and clear the brakes. Here is a sample:

http://adaptitusa.com/6x550to5x112wheeladapter-7.aspx

I cannot vouch for the quality or fitment of the above unit, just wanted to show you an example of what I'm thinking of. I still think you should take the donut you showed in the picture above and see how it fits in a Viper...you might be surprised that it won't even fit in the front seat without screwing something up.

I make high quality puncture repair kits for plugging tires in emergencies, I've plugged a Viper tire that had a 3/8" stud stuck in it and it held air for 3 days until the owners new tire came it for replacement. It is very easy to do but you do need to practice as you don't want to be figuring out how to do this on a rainy night on the side of the road. If you want to learn to plug your own tires, go get a free tire and wheel assembly off craigslist, a garage sale, etc and practice on that by drilling holes in the tread and sidewall and cutting 1" to 2" gashes in the sidewall. You can't learn how to fix a tire by reading about it or watching videos....hands on practice is what you need to do to become proficient.

Plugging a small hole in the tread is no problem to get you home and then have a tire professional look at it to verify its final repair. If you get a cut a slash or get a hole in the sidewall, it is a throw away tire, but by plugging it you can drive slowly to a better/safer/tire shop to have the tire replaced.

But before you spend ANY money on a donut and a way to mount it to the Vipers hub, you may want to make sure the donut is going to fit in the car for the trip...

NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: If you replace the Vipers flat tire and wheel assembly with a spare tire donut, what are you going to do with the damaged wheel and tire....leave it on the side of the road? I promise it will not fit inside the car.

Voice of Reason
04-10-2016, 07:09 AM
Good point about the stock tire after the change.

And don't forget to bring along a low profile jack!?!?

swexlin
04-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Good point about the stock tire after the change.

And don't forget to bring along a low profile jack!?!?

Agreed, there is no easy answer. Again, as much as we all hate flatbed, get AAA. Now getting an ACR on a flatbed has gotta be even hairier than getting my car on.

However, the stock wheel tire combo might fit in the hatch area in an emergency, you would have to have the hatch open and tied down, like your were moving a recliner in the trunk of a Crown Vic. Would look pretty redneck, but would get you home.

plumcrazy
04-10-2016, 11:51 AM
just drive it, dont sweat it. if worried, carry the contact info for voa members for all the state in between

TrackAire
04-10-2016, 12:31 PM
just drive it, dont sweat it. if worried, carry the contact info for voa members for all the state in between

Ha ha...this is probably the best advice of all. It is often used by Hummer H1 owners when traveling long distances...they post their travel route and will post up on the Hummer forum if they have a problem. They are a resourceful bunch just as the Viper crowd is.

Post up your travel route and let the forum members know of your travel dates. If you have a serious issue, you can always post here for help or assistance.

ViperPete
04-10-2016, 12:48 PM
What about BMW and Mercedes? They have those weird looking spare tires and huge brakes too.

mjorgensen
04-11-2016, 10:58 AM
An issue not mentioned was that if you have a spare that fits the front then the diameter will be way off for the rear, this would destroy the diff in short order.

Dman
04-11-2016, 12:45 PM
An issue not mentioned was that if you have a spare that fits the front then the diameter will be way off for the rear, this would destroy the diff in short order.

This is what I was thinking reading this, you'd need 2 of those contraption spare wheels, and the low profile jack, you'll need them to put a hitch on it and pull a wagon ... kinda joking, but kinda not. I've had a metal shard blowout on the highway in my gen4, front tire, it was a pain but I have AAA, explained the car over the phone and they sent a truck that got me going without damage, took 90 mins on the shoulder of the interstate, but I don't think there are ways around this small risk ... especially if Mark didn't post up an answer.

swexlin
04-11-2016, 01:21 PM
I think all of us agree that AAA is a must for our cars. That being said, I think the OP is getting an ACR, so all wheels the same size, correct?

TA Two Oh
04-11-2016, 01:57 PM
I think all of us agree that AAA is a must for our cars. That being said, I think the OP is getting an ACR, so all wheels the same size, correct?

Unfortunately it's the overall rolling circumference of the tires that matter, not the wheel diameter. I think the front and rear circumferences are quite different.

swexlin
04-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Unfortunately it's the overall rolling circumference of the tires that matter, not the wheel diameter. I think the front and rear circumferences are quite different.

Did not know that.

v10enomous
04-11-2016, 02:37 PM
I carry a plug kit and a compressor in all of my cars and my truck and UTV's. Almost a year ago to the day a roadside plug repair saved my ass in my truck about 200 miles from house with my ATV trailer in tow. Cheap insurance and easier than changing a tire roadside.

v10enomous
04-11-2016, 02:40 PM
I carry a plug kit and a compressor in all of my cars and my truck and UTV's. Almost a year ago to the day a roadside plug repair saved my ass in my truck about 200 miles from house with my ATV trailer in tow. Cheap insurance and easier than changing a tire roadside.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K?ie=UTF8&keywords=tire%20plug%20kit&qid=1460403467&ref_=sr_1_1&s=automotive&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP02-12-Volt-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ENQRD2/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1460403550&sr=1-11&keywords=slime+tire+inflator

The_Ruski_Driver
04-11-2016, 03:15 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K?ie=UTF8&keywords=tire%20plug%20kit&qid=1460403467&ref_=sr_1_1&s=automotive&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP02-12-Volt-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ENQRD2/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1460403550&sr=1-11&keywords=slime+tire+inflator

Don't we have a patch kit in every genv car?

Dman
04-11-2016, 03:26 PM
He's really looking for a worst case scenario solution for a super long trip, like a sidewall or slicing flat that can't be plugged, I've had one on the gen4 and on my GT500 before, the interstate is more about pieces of metal and debris type flats than a nail, etc. A prudent effort really if it can be done, I just don't see how, our 6 lug deal is a real PITA in that regard. Without going custom, which is $$$, you'd have to use an adapter and ..... I dunno what else. I rely on AAA, but he's trying to get a solution he can have in the car with it being an ACR .. tough one to solve.

ViperTony
04-11-2016, 03:27 PM

Yes, the ACR comes with the compressor/sealant kit in the trunk. Should be good for flats but may not do much for sidewall damage on these thin ACR Kumho tires.

swexlin
04-11-2016, 03:38 PM

We do, and I also bought another emergency plug kit, and I think I bought a can of slime as well. I should really check to see what I did indeed out in the emergency bag in my trunk....!

Vprbite
04-11-2016, 03:47 PM

Bingo. Think of the tire and wheel as wagon wheels and your mind gets a clearer picture. Bigger wheel, smaller sidewall and you get the same thing as a smaller wheel and bigger sidewall. But in the rear, they better be the same height or it's like turning for several miles. I think this when I see a lifted truck on 35s and see that they have the stock little 265 spare and think to myself, if they get a flat rear they better swap tires and run that thing on the front or that diff will catch on fire. I still don't think it's a great idea on the front, but if you need to limp somewhere to get cell service or whatever I guess it's better than nothing.

I'll admit I keep slime with me in the Viper but don't really know how to use a plug kit. I really should learn.

ViperSmith
04-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Fix a flat + patch kit + pump is the way to go. You really won't beat it. (as long as you don't have a catastrophic failure)

- - - Updated - - -

Bingo. Think of the tire and wheel as wagon wheels and your mind gets a clearer picture. Bigger wheel, smaller sidewall and you get the same thing as a smaller wheel and bigger sidewall. But in the rear, they better be the same height or it's like turning for several miles. I think this when I see a lifted truck on 35s and see that they have the stock little 265 spare and think to myself, if they get a flat rear they better swap tires and run that thing on the front or that diff will catch on fire. I still don't think it's a great idea on the front, but if you need to limp somewhere to get cell service or whatever I guess it's better than nothing.

I'll admit I keep slime with me in the Viper but don't really know how to use a plug kit. I really should learn.

Beauty of Youtube from your phone you can learn on demand

:D

TrackAire
04-11-2016, 11:31 PM
Fix a flat + patch kit + pump is the way to go. You really won't beat it. (as long as you don't have a catastrophic failure)

- - - Updated - - -

Beauty of Youtube from your phone you can learn on demand

:D

With tire repair on a specialty vehicle like a Viper, youtube won't answer all your questions. For example, if you pick up a nail on the rear tire and realize your tire is flat, you can easily plug it and inflate it with the compressor that comes with the Viper (assuming the bead is not broken). But, the reality is to be able to get enough force to ream/probe the wound and then plug the tire, you'll probably have to remove the tire/wheel from the car so you can stand over it to push the plug through. You only have like 6" in front and behind the tire if it is on the car....almost impossible to plug a tire laying on your belly in the dirt. Having the tire off the car makes it super easy and much safer. I carry a screw jack from Walmart that will easily lift the front or rear of the Viper and takes up very little room to store. Here is an example of the type I'm describing:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/14560046?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227008107437&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839138272&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=89280750905&veh=sem

Again, get a junk tire/wheel and practice plugging it. It's like riding a bike, once you learn the technique it is pretty easy. Learning to do it on the side of the road on a rainy night with cars zinging by at 60 mph.....not so easy.

ClayR
04-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Call roadside assistance if you have an issue.

Dave1968
04-12-2016, 07:29 PM
I just have to say, I was REALLY looking forward to seeing the ACR doing donuts. lol.

I think you us a video, what do you guys think? dbl lol!

ek1
04-12-2016, 09:40 PM

Yes, unfortunately Mark and all the rest of you guys are correct. I did not pay attention to tire sizes and thought that just because both front and rear wheels are listed at 19", tires diameter would be the same. Not so! Looked at Tire Rack and of course fronts are P295/25ZR19 90Y LL and rears are P355/30ZR19 99Y LL. So rear tires are significantly wider (irrelevant as far as spare tire is concerned) and front tire sidewall is 73.75mm while the rear tire sidewall is 106.5mm. So if you get the spare to match the front, it will destroy the differential if mounted in the rear due to overall wheel diameter being different, but if you get the spare to match the rear, the wheel probably won't fit in the front.

Guess I'll be getting phone numbers of everyone living between Nebraska and New York :).

ek1
04-12-2016, 09:47 PM
I just have to say, I was REALLY looking forward to seeing the ACR doing donuts. lol.

Dave,

I'll try it once I get the car and get through the break-in period. I have to find someone to teach me though :)

Malu59RT
04-13-2016, 07:00 AM

Being a fat guy, I was really looking forward to seeing ACR shaped donuts :(

Bill Pemberton
04-13-2016, 01:55 PM
There are definitely some good folks along the way ......Plumcrazy I guess, isn't ( damn good idea ).

swexlin
04-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Ek1, I don't think I'm on your route, but PM me if you want my number anyway. I do have a truck.....

parabs
08-01-2016, 07:58 AM

do you have a pic/part number for the factory inflator? I have recently discovered this as an OEM part for the Gen 4's and I would like to add it to my gen 3.

steve911
08-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Just call your local dealer and ask for the info later. The same inflator is used on many different FCA cars. It is a good idea to have one in your GEN 3. After I graduated from run flats, I added one of the inflators to my' 04.

TrackAire
08-01-2016, 03:39 PM
do you have a pic/part number for the factory inflator? I have recently discovered this as an OEM part for the Gen 4's and I would like to add it to my gen 3.

For about $35.00 at your local Walmart you can also pick up a version made by Slime:

http://www.slime.com/us/products/auto/tire-repair/tire-repair-kits/safety-spair.php

gcrain
08-02-2016, 05:15 AM
If the wheel won't fit in the trunk, it will go into the front passenger seat. My post is about finding the tire (brand/part #, where to buy etc). I'll figure out how to get it inside the car one way or another.

As far as "not worrying about it"....yes, I need to worry about it. It's a 1,250 mile trip. Nobody will have these tires in stock except Tire Rack and a few online stores. Any tow truck, even a flatbed will cause thousands of dollars of damage to splitters and underbody. I will be stuck on the side of the road for many hours, possibly in a dangerous spot where other cars may hit mine. All because I did not worry about having a donut. Hell of a way to spice up a road trip.

Sealant only works for minor punctures (nails, etc). It does not work for damage caused by hitting a pothole or road debris. Don't ask me how I know that.

Been there, done that. Took 3 months to get my car back after the tow truck destroyed a control arm and Dodge couldn't provide the right part.

Terminator02
08-02-2016, 12:38 PM
The viper truly isn't the vehicle for the one who thinks of every pitfall that could happen. It's not a practical car so using only practical Logic will lead to conundrums like this. You could potentially spin a bearing on your way home at a similar likelihood of getting irreparable flat imho. Both are extremely unlikely scenarios. You could always remove the extreme aero before putting the car on a flat bed. AAA will send the best clearance flatbed when they ask yo the vehicle. My gen 2 had no clearance issues. Stating the drivers damage half the cars is a bad over generalization of a group of people. Again, the viper is not a completely practical car so expecting a completely practical solution for a hypothesized low chance scenario is a disconnect with buying this car in the first place. This car needs to be enjoyed and you need to be the one to enjoy it. The long trip sounds like a blast so I do hope you have fun on your way. Congrats on a beautiful vehicle.

speedtactics
08-02-2016, 01:45 PM
So true. If you worry about "What if" all the time you won't enjoy anything! "What if Spartacus had a piper cub!" :p0257:

texasram
08-02-2016, 03:10 PM
No, not that type :)

So I have this (wonderful/stupid, depending on who you ask) idea to drive my car from Woodhouse to NYC to cover most of the break-in period. Obviously there is no spare in the ACR, so with my luck I know I am going to be stuck in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night with 3 functional wheels.

Does anyone know what kind of a donut (space saver) tire would work on an ACR? I am talking about those wheels that come deflated (obviously you need a compressor) and can be used up to 50mph for like 100 miles or so?

My other car has 21" wheels and the donut I have on now is about 28" in diameter (rim with inflated tire) and about 5.5" wide. Since an ACR has 19" rims, I think the donut can be at least 2" smaller in diameter, which would make it possible to fit it either in the front seat or possibly in the trunk when fully deflated.

Any ideas?
I would love to ride behind that and see the tire width difference, ide be lmao

ek1
08-03-2016, 11:04 PM
I am happy to report that 6 states, 2 countries and 1,540 miles later, both I and the car made it home in 1 piece, with 4 tires intact. And yes, I enjoyed it tremendously and would do it again in a heartbeat. Donuts be damned :)

Chorps
08-03-2016, 11:16 PM
The only donut in my ACR is unfortunately around my waist. :P

Congrats on the safe journey.

Arizona Vipers
08-04-2016, 01:33 AM
I am happy to report that 6 states, 2 countries and 1,540 miles later, both I and the car made it home in 1 piece, with 4 tires intact. And yes, I enjoyed it tremendously and would do it again in a heartbeat. Donuts be damned :)

Awesome!!!! I don't see the 2nd country in that screencap though? Did you go into Canada? I just did a similar trip with my family, Arizona to Memphis/Nashville/Mammoth Caves Kentucky/Niagara Falls/Toronto/NYC and back. 7000 miles. We were in a comfy SUV though hehe.