PDA

View Full Version : 2008-2010 exhuast tip - help identify the part please!

viper04blk
04-02-2016, 02:56 PM
I am installing 08 exhuast onto my 04. I am not sure which tip to put on which side. They are different part numbers. I cant find the part number on these things anywhere! I am looking at https://www.roeracing.com/OE-Parts/2008_Viper.pdf but i cant quite tell from the sketches. I can see that loosen the clamp will allow me to adjust them to the correct position, but I dont want any long term problems from things not being aligned correctly.

So.... is this passenger or driver side?

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l326/blkviper04/DSC_0282_zpstinus5fq.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/blkviper04/media/DSC_0282_zpstinus5fq.jpg.html)

If this is obvious, I apologize in advance. I just dont want to remove this sills again until next winter.

thanks

Steve M
04-02-2016, 02:59 PM
Passenger side.

viper04blk
04-02-2016, 03:08 PM
I have strong feeling it is the passenger side....

- - - Updated - - -

Hey thanks Steve M!

Steve M
04-02-2016, 04:03 PM
No problem...I still have my drive side sill off, and what you pictured is the exact opposite of what's on my driver's side.

viper04blk
04-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Here is what has me questioning this: The clamps on the CAT side have the bolt on top. If I follow your advice, my tip clamp will be on the bottom. The clamps have a tac-weld on them so they dont move.... so this orientation must be standard.

Can you confirm if your clamp-bolts are on the top for the cat and on the bottom for your tip?

Thanks Steve_M

Steve M
04-02-2016, 04:14 PM
They are indeed...cat side clamp bolts are on top, tip clamp bolts are on the bottom.

Cargirl
04-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Just curious, if your going to all the trouble to replace your Gen 3 exhaust, why not just buy a new cat back system instead? I am not trying to be snarky just want to hear out your thought process.

Steve M
04-02-2016, 05:29 PM
Just curious, if your going to all the trouble to replace your Gen 3 exhaust, why not just buy a new cat back system instead? I am not trying to be snarky just want to hear out your thought process.

The Gen 4 is very free flowing, but also quiet with no drone. That, and you can probably find a used system much cheaper than you'll find a new aftermarket one.

viper04blk
04-02-2016, 10:11 PM

Removing the cross-over pipe can reduce alot of heat (make my wife happy, she hates the heat). I got gen4 muffler/tips for a couple hundred bucks that allows me to get rid of the cross over pipe. The only aftermarket cat-back I would consider is corsa, and that would cost me over $2500.00 by the time it got to my door (Canada). And my budget does not allow for that. I highly doubt a after market cat-back is going to generate much HP. I think I would be paying for a different sound mostly. So I dont see the aftermarket cat-back as a very good bang for your buck (2500 bucks for 10hp???) I plan to install high-flow cats (This is where there is a good horsepower gain for your dollar) sometime this summer and use them with the stock gen4 mufflers.

I have my exhaust installed. I am going to let idle for 30 mins to check for leaks. Then after it cools off entirely, I am going to re-torque. Should I drive it around to test for leaks or is idling it sufficient to check for leaks?

viper04blk
04-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Steve M, btw your a life saver for identifying that part for me today! Thanks

Steve M
04-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Glad I could help...I'm in the process of installing high flow cats on my '08 at the moment, so the timing of your question was perfect.

viper04blk
04-02-2016, 11:36 PM
which cats did you go with? I am eye'n up the roe cats because they have a flex joint.

Steve M
04-03-2016, 06:52 AM
I went with the Jon B/Belanger metallic high flow cats that do not have the flex joint. The design eliminates the front exhaust hanger along with the flex joint.

For me, I couldn't have done it any other way with my goals...the real motivation for the high flow cats was to be able to run a full time wideband oxygen sensor that I can feed into my HPTuners scanner for tuning purposes. That wideband needs to be installed before the catalytic converter, and the flex joint takes up all of the real estate that you could use to do that. For me, eliminating the flex joint made the most sense...it would have been impossible to accomplish what I wanted to do otherwise.