PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Dealer Experience

Rand1993
12-29-2013, 09:14 PM
I currently own a '93 Viper in almost new condition. I enjoy the car and have become addicted to the handling, torque, and shifting, but the car is very impractical as a daily driver. So, I decided to keep it and also purchase a newer model that can serve as my daily driver. I live in Washington state and have a second home in Melbourne, Florida. I planned to keep the '93 in Washington and buy a GenV to keep at our Florida home.

Today I went to the Dodge dealer on Merritt Island to look at a GenV. He has three of them on the showroom floor. My friend and I walked into the showroom and began looking at the Vipers. There were multiple sales people standing around who were not busy, and not one of them greeted us. After about 15 minutes without anyone acknowledging us, I opened one of the Vipers and sat in it. I thought that would at least get someone's attention, but still nobody spoke to us or acknowledged us. I then spent a few more minutes looking at and comparing the three vehicles.

After a total of about 20 minutes we left, and still nobody spoke to us.

We drove a few miles down the road and went to the local Chevrolet dealer. The salesman walked out into the parking lot and greeted us. Needless to say, the difference was very obvious. When I asked about the new Vettes, the salesman was quite knowledgeable. When he determined I was a serious enthusiast and genuinely interested, the new car sales manager came out and provided a wealth of information about the Vette, the ordering process, and the delivery process. He was low key and professional.

It's clear to me why the Dodge dealer has three on his floor that have been there a while. I have to wonder, if I have to beg them to talk to me about selling me a car, what will it be like to get service.

If the local Dodge dealer is that bad, I'm not sure a Viper will make much sense for me in Florida. Very frustrating.

Ralph - Are you listening?

XSnake
12-29-2013, 09:29 PM
That dealership is known to not be that good as another forum member was there last week looking at their cars. I sent you a PM.

V1PERMAN
12-30-2013, 01:01 AM
Rand,

I just experienced the EXACT same situation at a dealer here in South Florida last friday. I went to University Dodge with 2 Viper Club friends to check out the Orange TA they are selling. They also had 3 vipers in the showroom and Not a single person acknowledged our presence. We left after a hour of looking. What a joke. Maybe Vipers or Viper buyers just intimidate the salesman at these dodge dealers. They obviously have no idea on how to sell them.

Vipes
12-30-2013, 03:23 AM
Maybe because they get hundreds of non-potential or unqualified lookers walk up to the Viper for every one person that is actually seriously considering buying one? Just saying, not many people can afford a new six figure car but who doesn't want to take a look at one.

Rand1993
12-30-2013, 04:42 AM
Lunchbox - You're probably right about the ratio of lookers to buyers, but it's no wonder the Vipers aren't selling given the rudeness of the sales staff. I'm a CEO and have been in management 38 years. We have over 2500 employees. What I observed is a company with a very bad corporate culture. I'll bet their over all sales performance lags, too, not just Viper sales.

Yesterday I was quite angry about the experience. I've calmed down now and moving on. I'm going to a different dealership that was recommended to me by another Central FL VOA member. Sad state of affairs.

plumcrazy
12-30-2013, 05:14 AM
woodhouse ships cars to florida all the time. call bill pemberton

whitebeard
12-30-2013, 05:26 AM
Rand, your experience is par for course at many dealerships. Unless the sales manager is very hungry, the sales departments tend to be lacking. Many in the department lack sales experiences let alone take the time to understand the product. And if management doesn't push it, employees fail to respond. I've worked with a number of dealers over the years. Our customer base was almost 1500; majority of them in New England but we did UPS and FEDEX across the country. I worked with sales, services and parts ending in 1999.

I've never worked with Woodhouse, but their reputation proceeds them. As does Tomball Dodge.

It's a shame that the industry gets painted that badly. the Car Salesman has been the butt of jokes for years. Poorly run dealerships get more press than good ones. One of the ones up in the Wilmington MA area used to be owned by the mob. They used very high pressure sales tactics to arm twist individuals to buy a car, and yet were always late paying their bill.

viperdan
12-30-2013, 06:04 AM
No offense OP but if you really wanted to buy a car why didn't you just seek out a rep to help you? Like "Lunchbox" said, the number of tire kickers that look at Vipers must be unreal, let's face it most of the lookers (99.9999%) are doing just that, looking! Sales floors in most establishments use a rotation when it comes to floor traffic and I'd guess that most don't want to waste their "up" on someone who just wants to kill some time, a real buyer will make it his business to buy the car w/out having to worry about getting his A$$ kissed. Just my opinion which by the way includes selling Acuras for the last 20 years!

VRYALT3R3D
12-30-2013, 06:04 AM
You only shopped at one dealer and just gave up after that? wow.

Rand1993
12-30-2013, 06:19 AM
You only shopped at one dealer and just gave up after that? wow.

Didn't give up at all. Just got annoyed by the experience.

I don't waste sales people's time and I remain loyal to a good sales person. Bought my last three cars from the same person at a local dealership without a lot of drama.

F2V
12-30-2013, 07:42 AM
I understand the OP's aggravation...that's not friendly customer service, and if they didn't have the enthusiam to sell a car (no matter how many people are lookers, someone will be a buyer), then what can you expect from their service dept?

Plum had the best suggestion, call Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse like I and many others have done. He'll get you whatever you want, satisfaction gauranteed.

ViperSmith
12-30-2013, 08:11 AM
Note: some dealers have taken the stance they won't approach you Because some people find it aggressive. That, if you want a salesman you ask for one. Our local BMW dealer does this. You can stand in their show room for 30min and you'll be left alone.

While it may seem like ignoring you, it is what a many dealers are switching to - right or wrong.

F2V
12-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Note: some dealers have taken the stance they won't approach you Because some people find it aggressive. That, if you want a salesman you ask for one. Our local BMW dealer does this. You can stand in their show room for 30min and you'll be left alone.

While it may seem like ignoring you, it is what a many dealers are switching to - right or wrong.

This is interesting...I'll give you both sides;

When I was in Florida this Nov, I stopped in the local Mercedes dealer (North Palm Beach) looking at the new redisigned S550...eyeballed and sat in it for 5mins. I was the only customer. I looked around several times, nobody made eye contact or came up to me. I walked out annoyed and amazed.

Back home several weeks later, I walked into the Greenwich Mercedes dealer. Person comes up to me, greets me with his name, and says if I have any questions please ask. Bought a CLS550 from him, after several questions regarding the S550.

I like the old saying 'if you snooze you loose'

C.J
12-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Being left alone and being ignored are different. Would you feel badgered if a salesguy came up to you to welcome you and to help when you want help and then let you browse? Probably not...

The OP has a valid observation, and it sounds as if SRT/Chrysler would benefit from a better customer experience.

Policy Limits
12-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Times have changed since you bought that 93. The majority of six figure car sales are done between out of state parties; a virtual on line tour of the vehicle is taken or the car is bought sight unseen. I bought the Lamborghini and Bentley without a test drive and without ever having seen one of them as the vehicle came from OH.

Having said that I agree with the frustration. Clearly someone will buy a car in person. Salesman should treat each customer as if they are the one. And shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I've surprised a few sales depts by writing a check in full for a purchase while in gym clothes lol.

Most of these dealers not only suck at sales, but also at service as you speculate. I too bought from Bill and I'm satisfied but its impractical to get service in NE and several service managers at local dealers won't even return a phone call. Not looking for an ass kissing, just some reasonable communication and there is none.

This company needs SRT exclusive dealerships. Otherwise, lots of cross over buyers are gone jump back over the fence. It's probably what the traditional viper guys want, but is contrary to SRT's marketing and wishes.

PS, I too am the CEO of my company and I would personally fire any person involved in the lack of customer service provided the OP if it occurred at my firm.

Buying the corvette isn't the answer though. GM over does it with the electronics, sinks in value something awful and they're gonna be a dime a dozen really soon. OP you will enjoy the gen V. It's like a refined II with side pipes.

MoparBoyy
12-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Let me know if you wanna come look at the one we have in stock.

its a fully loaded GTS in Viper red with black napa interior. We only have one sales person qualified by SRT for the viper, but he is a former owner himself.

Fields Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram SRT. 750 Towne Center Blvd, Sanford, FL

MI Viper
12-30-2013, 09:32 AM
I currently own a '93 Viper in almost new condition. I enjoy the car and have become addicted to the handling, torque, and shifting, but the car is very impractical as a daily driver. So, I decided to keep it and also purchase a newer model that can serve as my daily driver. I live in Washington state and have a second home in Melbourne, Florida. I planned to keep the '93 in Washington and buy a GenV to keep at our Florida home.

Today I went to the Dodge dealer on Merritt Island to look at a GenV. He has three of them on the showroom floor. My friend and I walked into the showroom and began looking at the Vipers. There were multiple sales people standing around who were not busy, and not one of them greeted us. After about 15 minutes without anyone acknowledging us, I opened one of the Vipers and sat in it. I thought that would at least get someone's attention, but still nobody spoke to us or acknowledged us. I then spent a few more minutes looking at and comparing the three vehicles.

After a total of about 20 minutes we left, and still nobody spoke to us.

We drove a few miles down the road and went to the local Chevrolet dealer. The salesman walked out into the parking lot and greeted us. Needless to say, the difference was very obvious. When I asked about the new Vettes, the salesman was quite knowledgeable. When he determined I was a serious enthusiast and genuinely interested, the new car sales manager came out and provided a wealth of information about the Vette, the ordering process, and the delivery process. He was low key and professional.

It's clear to me why the Dodge dealer has three on his floor that have been there a while. I have to wonder, if I have to beg them to talk to me about selling me a car, what will it be like to get service.

If the local Dodge dealer is that bad, I'm not sure a Viper will make much sense for me in Florida. Very frustrating.

Ralph - Are you listening?

Rand,
That was Boniface-heirs, that is my dealer here on MI, and sorry to hear you had a bad experince. "David" is the Viper/SRT salesman... And actually I tried to put together a deal on the Red GTS, last week, but the #'s were too far apart. They know me from using their service and parts dept. When I walk in, they are all over me to buy 1 of the GenV's.... Craig Heirs is the Viper Cert'd service manager, and he is very knowledgable, does what I ask, and is prompt. here is the thread where I talked about my experince last week....

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/1227-My-GenV-dealer-experience-story-tells-it-all

If you end up getting 1 to keep in Melbourne, let me know, always looking for local viper owners to cruise with.
MI V.

daytonprowler
12-30-2013, 10:08 AM
I just off the phone about 30 minutes ago with Mr Keeler from Boniface Heirs. I sent him the link to this thread. I told him to get a screen name and try to reach out to the VOA members here in Florida. Maybe he can try to make it right.

VoodooRob
12-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Porsche, Ford and Lexus dealers by us each have their receptionist right by the door to at least acknowledge you. The receptionist also act as a "traffic manager" for the floor salespeople. Seems to work very well, without in your face, latch on sales tactics.

Shooter
12-30-2013, 12:05 PM
I just off the phone about 30 minutes ago with Mr Keeler from Boniface Heirs. I sent him the link to this thread. I told him to get a screen name and try to reach out to the VOA members here in Florida. Maybe he can try to make it right.

You probably surprised the hell out of him. lol

Ohiotj
12-30-2013, 12:44 PM
From a ex salesmans point of view. In my dealerships the sales floor was connected to service floor. Our nicest cars like the viper and other srt cars were kept in the showroom surrounding the waiting area. Everyday at least a hundred or so people would look at these cars while waiting for service. It would be impossible to address each one who was just killing time. However some of those killing time are more the happy to bs with me while they are waiting for a car. I would have only sold a few cars a month if I had to address each tire kicker in the showroom. That is just being honest. If you need help just ask for it. I hated to bother someone who was just walking around. The golden role works here, treat others how you want to be treated.

Getnlwr
12-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Most annoying thing to me. Walking around a dealer and if you don't have a sales person with you, they are sprinting up to catch you. I've made it be known a few times that I just want to look on my own, and when I have a question, I'll find a sales person to get help from. I bought my Viper at a local dealer, and they are known for greeting people when they come in, Giving their name, and offering assistance if needed. If not needed, they leave you ALONE to look at the available products. Great service, granted it took 2 months of negotiation to buy my car, but they came to my terms, and I have my dream machine because of their service.

plumcrazy
12-30-2013, 03:12 PM
i have bought maybe 6-7 new cars on my own, bought another 6-7 for or with other people to help them out. the absolute only time i can say that was good was bill pemberton at woodhouse (sight unseen), the rest of the dealers are just terrible. ive had to walk out of or get asked to leave from too many....lol dont even get me started on service.

Ohiotj
12-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Plum crazy... Not trying to over step any lines here but there is a reason why you were asked to leave. The last thing any responsible dealer would do is ask a customer to leave. I am sure they were just as much at fault as you but at some point you have to say in your head it is time to stop. I have never told a customer to leave. I always kept things professional and treated customers and salespeople with respect. They would then do the same in return. Life is too short to argue and get all hyped up over a missed car deal. Please be nice to each other.

plumcrazy
12-30-2013, 07:24 PM
im glad you are so nice

Nine Ball
12-30-2013, 07:38 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, I prefer shopping when dealerships are closed and no salesmen are around. We enthusiasts usually know more about the vehicles than the salesguys. I prefer to be left alone to look over cars myself, until I need the keys. Then I go find a sales person.

daytonprowler
12-30-2013, 07:49 PM
" There were multiple sales people standing around who were not busy, and not one of them greeted us. After about 15 minutes without anyone acknowledging us, I opened one of the Vipers and sat in it. I thought that would at least get someone's attention, but still nobody spoke to us or acknowledged us."

There is the whole problem.... all someone had to do was say HI. That's all. Just acknowledge the customer.

Anonymous
12-30-2013, 07:50 PM
How is the customer wrong,I own a home oil company with 600 pain in the asses that are never wrong,thats just business.

Policy Limits
12-30-2013, 08:21 PM
And imagine if number 601 came in because he just converted his home over from gas and was in the market for an oil company and no one even acknowledged he was alive.

Anonymous
12-30-2013, 08:46 PM
You just blew my mind!! LOL

viperdan
12-31-2013, 02:49 AM
How is the customer wrong,I own a home oil company with 600 pain in the asses that are never wrong,thats just business.

Do you guys service Danbury? My first fill this season was in early December and I paid $3.60. I'm about 10 miles from Chucks place.

plumcrazy
12-31-2013, 05:41 AM
uh oh now 602 customers....lol

viperdan
12-31-2013, 06:17 AM
uh oh now 602 customers....lol

And maybe more, my entire neighborhood is oil and as this thread suggests there is no better word than word of mouth! lol

Anonymous
12-31-2013, 06:45 AM
Sorry Dan you to north for us but 3.60$ is a good price.

viperdan
12-31-2013, 06:48 AM
Sorry Dan you to north for us but 3.60$ is a good price.

Thanks for getting back, I did my do diligence this year.

Ohiotj
12-31-2013, 07:00 AM
I really doubt there are any members here that wouldn't know more about the viper then the "srt salesperson". This is what we do for fun. We think about vipers all day and can't wait for the chance to discuss them and even look at them. Most sales people don't own one and the viper makes up a small part of their day. Thus when an enthusiast walks in and runs into a run of the mill salesmen they are let down. I think my dream job would have been to sell at a dealer like tomball or woodhouse. The only problem is we didn't get paid to bs about the vehicles.

carmaker
12-31-2013, 07:02 AM
Give John Gastman at Roanoke a call. A prince of a guy and sells a lot of Vipers.

Policy Limits
12-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Most salesmen are jokes; the worst is when you get a bust out wanna be who pulls up to tge stealership in his 500 dollar crapper and he thinks he invented the automobile. The type of guy who was homeless two weeks prior to working there. Lol

High end professional sales are great though. Dealing with someone as passionate as you are because he owns something similar or at least really understands your passion and the product if he doesn't.

I hate going to a five star fine dining experience and hearing the wait staff praise a certain entree only to discover that he never ordered or tasted it personally. How can he say its so great?

Leslie
12-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Give John Gastman at Roanoke a call. A prince of a guy and sells a lot of Vipers.

ROANOKE in Illinois!

John knows more about Vipers and delivers. There is a reason D'Ann goes to him for her Vipers (she owns over 60)

Viper Girl
12-31-2013, 11:23 AM
I had an experience a few months ago at a Caddy dealer... LOL My neighbor wanted a XTS in what ever the red color was called... don't remember now... Anyway I walked in looked over the cars with her. Salesman comes up, starts to tell her things were on the car that weren't... I corrected him...

Then the GM comes out of his office... Salesman slips away... I show my friend some of the differences of the 2 red cars in stock... Pointing out the one has lighted door handles... the other doesn't... blah blah blah...

The GM asks me "How long have you been working for Cadilliac?" I laughed my ass off... I've only been on a Cadilliac lot for 5 minutes! He then tells me that the saleman is new, and he sold Nissan until the previous week!

BUT in one weeks time, shouldn't a good sales person and a GM for that matter, at least know their product better???

X3 V10
12-31-2013, 06:56 PM
I had an experience a few months ago at a Caddy dealer... LOL My neighbor wanted a XTS in what ever the red color was called... don't remember now... Anyway I walked in looked over the cars with her. Salesman comes up, starts to tell her things were on the car that weren't... I corrected him...

Then the GM comes out of his office... Salesman slips away... I show my friend some of the differences of the 2 red cars in stock... Pointing out the one has lighted door handles... the other doesn't... blah blah blah...

The GM asks me "How long have you been working for Cadilliac?" I laughed my ass off... I've only been on a Cadilliac lot for 5 minutes! He then tells me that the saleman is new, and he sold Nissan until the previous week!

BUT in one weeks time, shouldn't a good sales person and a GM for that matter, at least know their product better???

Had this happen to me a couple of times - salespeople have handed me their card with the previous salesperson's name crossed off with an ink pen...yeah, that reeks of professionalism and instills tons of confidence... :rolleyes:

RoyV101621
01-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Randall, I understand your frustration. Your time is worth more than a smile and a shrug. When I purchased my Viper, I did it by appointment. The typical Dodge salesman is a waste of 45 minutes of time. Don't expect a salesman to close the deal. A salesman has no room to work on the price. He'll take your offer and run off to get permission to sell.then the sales manger give him a counter offer...bla.bla.bla. You and the sales manager, or general manager, or in my case, the owner will set the price. Of course, at the same time, you called them out. You're ready to sign on the line.

Late Apex
01-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Buying a new Viper from ANY dealer other than the well respected higher volume Viper dealers frequently mentioned here can be a nightmare. Its just another car sale to them in many cases, and forget quality Viper service after the sale. In spending this kind of money its well worth dealing only with reputable dealers who specialize in Viper sales and service.

jerry colpitts
01-01-2014, 10:45 AM
A few of the New England Guys have bought there New Vipers from John Gastman at Roanoke....Look him up....Nothing but A++++++ Service......

johniew398
01-01-2014, 11:26 AM
When I go into any retail establishment I like someone to ask "I'm here to help you. My name is xxx and I'll he over there if you need anything." So just like you said at least someone to acknowledge you are there.

Recently we visited St. Louis for the week because my wife wanted to see St. Louis. In addition to the botanical gardens and a couple of other places I told her I wanted to go to this dealer in a suburb who had a black Viper on the showroom. It was a very small dealer (can't remember the name), in fact the parking lot was so small it was dangerous driving through it. We parked and went inside. Three salesman came over. Come to find out they were more interested in my wives 2013 MB SL550 we drove up in than anything. One of the salesman told me the Viper was sold; but he opened it up so I could sit in it and see it.

The whole thing reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me. In between what he and I normally did for a living he took a job in San Antonio at a dealer. He said they were sitting around one day and they saw a guy drive up in an old pickup truck and get out. He was dressed in overalls - looked like a farmer. All the other salesman didn't pay him any attention. My friend went out and greeted him. He didn't want anyone to sell him on anything. He went over and picked out the truck he wanted and pulled out a wad of cash and paid for the truck. All the other salesman were staring out the window.