PDA

View Full Version : Seat lowering kit installed

Voice of Reason
03-26-2016, 05:24 PM
After having two Gen Vs for almost 3 years I decided I wasn't going to go into this driving season with a visibility issue that I know I can solve, so this afternoon I installed the SnakeOyl lowering kit. I think I spent about 3 hours on it but 1 hour of that was a preventable issue I'll get to in a minute. Overall it does drop the seat nicely, there's a small amount of play (maybe 3/4") in the slotted install holes for fore/aft positioning and I opted to install it in the foreword most position. I figured that way I can recline the seat a little more. Doing that worked well and for the first time I had to adjust the pedals away from me a bit, they used to be full toward the driver.

My only advice is during re-installation. My first install I sandwiched the wire connectors under the seat bottom so it wouldn't lower all the way. I had to take out the 4 final bolts / nuts and pull the wires clear. So if you install it yourself, and it's really not that bad, just make doubly sure in the back and front all wire connectors are clear and not being smashed.

donk_316
03-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Thanks for this. I have to do mine this summer and while reading the instructions, the section about placement of the seat position sensor isn't very clear.
Maybe once I get it apart it will make more sense.
Can you comment on this part of the install?

Voice of Reason
03-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Agreed that part of the instructions isn't clear at all, when I got to it I went back and forth from the old frame to new to figure it out. While unhooking the sensor pay attention which side of it faces a long piece of metal that it's...sensing. Because when you get to the reinstall section for it in the instructions it just says "put the double sided tape/metal piece on the correct side of the sensor. Well it's not 100% clear AT ALL which side is correct unless you compare the shape of the sensor with the slot that held it. After you get past that you just stick the sensor on the B cross bar and zip tie it as extra holding.

SharpMan
03-26-2016, 10:22 PM
Thanks for this. I will need to do this as well.

lochnessmonster
03-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Did you try removing the two "posts" on the seat rail bolts at the aft of the rail as per Mark Jorgensen's write up prior to buying the kit? I removed those stupid things and got about another 1 1/4" drop, which is plenty for me. I'm wondering how much lower the kit can take you?

Voice of Reason
03-27-2016, 08:02 AM
I had removed those on my 13 the day I came home, the 14 (and up) don't have those. This lowers it much further than removing those pegs, I now fall into the seat and have to climb over the door sill to get back out.

lochnessmonster
03-27-2016, 10:43 PM
Cool. I'd still like to be a bit lower, but taking out those posts helped a lot. I might have to look into the lowering kit.

darbgnik
03-28-2016, 12:33 AM
The kits worth it's weight in gold. The week the kit finally came out, I went shopping! I had the 2" drop in my gen 3 as well.