PDA

View Full Version : How did i miss this....

St.Char
12-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Wheel offset for a Gen 3. Had my wheels off the car and while cleaning them, on the inside spoke of the OEM 10 spoke wheels, I located the offset for the front and rear wheel. I've been searching for this info. for quite some time now. Front/50.8 and Rear 71.1 :dude3:

MI Viper
12-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Newbie here, what is the offset?

St.Char
12-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Newbie here, what is the offset?

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. It can determine how close the wheel is or not to the edge or lip of the fender. So, in the case of the rear wheel on a gen 3, if the offset of a wheel is 65, it would push the wheel 6mm closer to the edge of the fender, too much offset will push the wheel beyond the fender lip which would look terrible. However, tire width also plans a factor in this equation. Knowing the offset of the factory set wheels can save you lots of headache and $$$ when selecting your aftermarket wheels. :)

Vipes
12-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Did you get your new wheels yet? Where are the pics? :)

MI Viper
12-29-2013, 02:00 PM
The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. It can determine how close the wheel is or not to the edge or lip of the fender. So, in the case of the rear wheel on a gen 3, if the offset of a wheel is 65, it would push the wheel 6mm closer to the edge of the fender, too much offset will push the wheel beyond the fender lip which would look terrible. However, tire width also plans a factor in this equation. Knowing the offset of the factory set wheels can save you lots of headache and $$$ when selecting your aftermarket wheels. :)
ST.C.,
thanks for the great info. :) I had my rear tires off yesterday, replacing my E-Brake pads, (ended up just swapping the Driver's side pads, and the passenger side had even wear, didn't touch them, 5,700 miles...) BUT I too decided since I had the rear wheels off, that I would clean the inside of the rims, and I noticed some #'s written in sharpie ink on the inside of the rim, up by the hub/centerline of the rim... But I didn't know what I was looking at and I didn't write them down, duh, so is that the offset#'s ?

intense
12-29-2013, 03:59 PM
ST.C.,
thanks for the great info. :) I had my rear tires off yesterday, replacing my E-Brake pads, (ended up just swapping the Driver's side pads, and the passenger side had even wear, didn't touch them, 5,700 miles...) BUT I too decided since I had the rear wheels off, that I would clean the inside of the rims, and I noticed some #'s written in sharpie ink on the inside of the rim, up by the hub/centerline of the rim... But I didn't know what I was looking at and I didn't write them down, duh, so is that the offset#'s ?
I would expect that offset markings (or any manufacturer info) would be cast or stamped into the wheel, not written in magic marker.

St.Char
12-29-2013, 05:14 PM
I would expect that offset markings (or any manufacturer info) would be cast or stamped into the wheel, not written in magic marker.

This is exactly right! On the back of the wheel, you will find that there is a small grove stamped in every spoke, the offset is in one of those grooves. You'll also see the rim size in one of them too. Before I really cleaned mine, those grooves were covered in brake dust. Thinking about putting my OEM's up for sale, the ones that I'm replacing them with are still at the powder coater, should be finished soon though.

MI Viper
12-29-2013, 05:17 PM

Intense,
You are probably right because I saw a bunch of data stamped on the inside of the rim also. That does make more sense... Still a newbie!
Thanks,
MI V.

MI Viper
12-29-2013, 05:19 PM
This is exactly right! On the back of the wheel, you will find that there is a small grove stamped in every spoke, the offset is in one of those grooves. You'll also see the rim size in one of them too. Before I really cleaned mine, those grooves were covered in brake dust. Thinking about putting my OEM's up for sale, the ones that I'm replacing them with are still at the powder coater, should be finished soon though.

St. C,
Thanks for the info, I'll check the next time I take the wheels off.
MI V.