PDA

View Full Version : Any canadian owners with a completed r28? I'm having problems............

lochnessmonster
03-18-2016, 02:33 PM
So, my dealership ordered all the parts for the various recalls on the car back at the end of January when the R28/29 was initiated. I felt that I might as well get everything taken care of all at once, and the R28/29 is the first recall that I was willing to risk placing the car in a dealer's hands.

They completed all the work on the various recalls (door handles, node reprogram, valve cover, oil change/filter) exactly two weeks ago, but they still haven't received the "kit" that is associated with the R28, so they can send the filter in for analysis. They are holding onto the filter until it arrives, but as I said, it's been almost two months since they ordered the "part".

I found out from my service manager this morning that Larry Otto has said that they are having trouble getting the filters across the border because they are technically a "hazardous material", so they are working on that issue. I had my service manager call him back to find out whether or not having the filter analyzed here in Canada was an option, with the results simply being faxed, e-mailed, etc. down to the Viper warranty people. He told her that Chrysler has contracted with the company who performs the analysis, and that was not an option. Arrrrrrrrrggggggggggg............

My service manager then suggested that I contact Chrysler customer service here in Canada and see what they can do. I did that, and I've been given a file number. A case manager is supposed to contact me on Monday regarding this issue.

Has anyone else up here in Canada, or elsewhere (internationally) for that matter, had a similar problem? Were you able to get the recall done? If so, would you mind providing me with the name of the dealership and a contact name so I can get a hold of them and try to get this thing moving? I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with this. It certainly isn't anyone's fault at this point. I would like to start making plans for trips with the car this summer, but I'm not prepared to do that until I receive a clean bill of health from the boys at SRT. Thanx in advance for any help.

supersnake
03-18-2016, 03:13 PM
Haven't got mine done yet , Everthing was ordered and is in. Just waiting for rocks to get swept up and put some miles on as I changed oil before putting away for the winter

lochnessmonster
03-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Keep me posted as to whether or not you have any trouble getting the filter sent out. My dealership can't even get the kit in the first place...............

Viktimize
03-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Sweepers were out in my area the other day, so if snow holds off I will be bringing mine in soon too. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

lochnessmonster
03-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Ok, thanx.

Dave1968
03-18-2016, 07:38 PM
I think the best plan of attack here is to push the "get the oil analysis done here in Canada routine) because there is no reason a quality trusted lab can't do the analysis here. Fiat or Chrysler must have a shop here in Canada for doing oil analysis that they have used in the past - maybe even one of their Dealers has the tech. They could use Fining's connections, or any top notch lab; either way, they can't deny this would be the best way to proceed. Push ON!!!!:p0257:

supersnake
03-18-2016, 08:08 PM
All they have to do is have a particle count oil sample done. That way you don't even need the oil filter. Sample comes back with a nice picture of contamination if there is any and also a oil analysis. And that can be done with Finnings lab

Aspirations57
03-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Keep me posted as to whether or not you have any trouble getting the filter sent out. My dealership can't even get the kit in the first place...............

Your dealer sounds like they either dont care too much or have very little pull...The fact that they dont even have the kit says it all...

BOOSTED
03-19-2016, 12:45 AM
I had mine done a week ago. Only R29 though. Still took them almost 3 weeks to get the parts in. (valve cover , coil cover , and the oil / filter ).

Coloviper
03-19-2016, 09:10 AM
Look at it this way. If the recall is required and Chrysler Canada can't perform their required recall, they may just replace the motor and be done with the risk. I suspect it has more to do with the particular shipping company chosen than anything. Difference in import procedures between FED-EX, UPS, DHL, etc. my experience is between Canada and USA, only UPS seems to handle the border transfer correctly. Make sure they do not be so honest on the description on the shipping label paperwork. Big difference in red flag between "used oil filter full if oil for analysis" versus "R28 Chrysler warranty item". Hell would take an extra week to just ship documents across the border in my engineering company if we did not use the right wording. "contract papers" would get held up, "business documents" would not. I doubt it is your dealer that is the issue but suspect it is more the shipping company they may use and how they fill out the paperwork.

lochnessmonster
03-19-2016, 10:31 PM
Look at it this way. If the recall is required and Chrysler Canada can't perform their required recall, they may just replace the motor and be done with the risk. I suspect it has more to do with the particular shipping company chosen than anything. Difference in import procedures between FED-EX, UPS, DHL, etc. my experience is between Canada and USA, only UPS seems to handle the border transfer correctly. Make sure they do not be so honest on the description on the shipping label paperwork. Big difference in red flag between "used oil filter full if oil for analysis" versus "R28 Chrysler warranty item". Hell would take an extra week to just ship documents across the border in my engineering company if we did not use the right wording. "contract papers" would get held up, "business documents" would not. I doubt it is your dealer that is the issue but suspect it is more the shipping company they may use and how they fill out the paperwork.

Yep you're exactly right with this. At the end of the day I haven't received one reply from a Canadian owner that has had R28 done. I think that says it all in response to those who have claimed there is no issue here, or its my dealers fault etc. I think I was pretty clear in my original post that Larry Otto has indicated that Chrysler went ahead with this recall, but didn't fully appreciate the problem with shipping a hazardous good across the border.

Viktimize
03-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Yep you're exactly right with this. At the end of the day I haven't received one reply from a Canadian owner that has had R28 done. I think that says it all in response to those who have claimed there is no issue here, or its my dealers fault etc. I think I was pretty clear in my original post that Larry Otto has indicated that Chrysler went ahead with this recall, but didn't fully appreciate the problem with shipping a hazardous good across the border.

Probably more to do with the fact that virtually none of us have our cars out yet, except for a few guys that made a specific trip to the dealer for the warranty work.

lochnessmonster
03-20-2016, 07:22 PM
I'm not here to argue. I do that for a living. Let me make this abundantly clear, because you guys don't seem to be getting it. If you live in Canada, and have had the R28 recall performed please let me know who you did this with, so I can see about expediting this process. I'm not asking for opinions on how to get this done, the helpfulness of my dealer (who has been awesome btw) or whether or not you have had other recalls performed.

Viktimize
03-21-2016, 12:01 AM
I'm not here to argue. I do that for a living. Let me make this abundantly clear, because you guys don't seem to be getting it. If you live in Canada, and have had the R28 recall performed please let me know who you did this with, so I can see about expediting this process. I'm not asking for opinions on how to get this done, the helpfulness of my dealer (who has been awesome btw) or whether or not you have had other recalls performed.

Wasn't arguing, and not trying to stick up for any dealer or anything. Just mentioning that not a lot of us have our cars out of the garage yet, so there might be more to it that you haven't heard from anyone who has had the recall done yet. I'm hoping I get to find out how it goes with my dealer here soon.

lochnessmonster
03-21-2016, 03:18 PM
Jessica from FCA customer service contacted me at noon today, and indicated that she has "all hands on deck" trying to resolve this issue. She has already contacted my dealership, and has contacted other departments to get working on a solution. I'll keep you posted.

lochnessmonster
03-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Wasn't arguing, and not trying to stick up for any dealer or anything. Just mentioning that not a lot of us have our cars out of the garage yet, so there might be more to it that you haven't heard from anyone who has had the recall done yet. I'm hoping I get to find out how it goes with my dealer here soon.

Yeah, sorry about that Viktimize, I think Aspirations 57 just got me riled up. You brought up a good point. Cheers.

Aspirations57
03-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Your dealer sounds like they either dont care too much or have very little pull...The fact that they dont even have the kit says it all...

Yeah, sorry about that Viktimize, I think Aspirations 57 just got me riled up. You brought up a good point. Cheers.

Lock, If you were referring to my above comment in this thread its because of these comments you yourself posted below:

Great News!!!! I just heard back from my local Chrysler Dealership, Northlands Chrysler, (which happens to be literally across the street from my office) and Carla there in service has already ordered the parts for the latest R28/R29 campaigns and they are willing to fix all of the other outstanding recalls/campaign item(s) (door handles, seat rail, door reflash) That is sooooooo cooool, and she was an absolute pleasure to deal with. She took the time to call her dealer rep and find out if they were authorized to work on my car, printed off the 56 page document relating to the latest campaigns (28/29) and see what was required, and has indicated to me that any special software that's required for the reflash isn't an issue because all of that is done online now, as opposed to the past when you actually needed to be in physical possession of the software and have the necessary hardware to run it. Stoked!!

Last edited by lochnessmonster; 02-02-2016 at 10:09 AM.
2013 Adrenaline Red Viper GTS2008 WRB (Gold BBS wheels) WRX STi (hatch)
2007 Silver Toyota FJ Cruiser2000 New Formula Red Honda S2000

Notice you posted that 2-2-2016,its now 3-21-2016 roughly 48 days and you still DONT have the parts thats why I posted the comment about your dealer...If you think thats great service good for you,carry on

lochnessmonster
03-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Lock, If you were referring to my above comment in this thread its because of these comments you yourself posted below:

Great News!!!! I just heard back from my local Chrysler Dealership, Northlands Chrysler, (which happens to be literally across the street from my office) and Carla there in service has already ordered the parts for the latest R28/R29 campaigns and they are willing to fix all of the other outstanding recalls/campaign item(s) (door handles, seat rail, door reflash) That is sooooooo cooool, and she was an absolute pleasure to deal with. She took the time to call her dealer rep and find out if they were authorized to work on my car, printed off the 56 page document relating to the latest campaigns (28/29) and see what was required, and has indicated to me that any special software that's required for the reflash isn't an issue because all of that is done online now, as opposed to the past when you actually needed to be in physical possession of the software and have the necessary hardware to run it. Stoked!!

Last edited by lochnessmonster; 02-02-2016 at 10:09 AM.
2013 Adrenaline Red Viper GTS2008 WRB (Gold BBS wheels) WRX STi (hatch)
2007 Silver Toyota FJ Cruiser2000 New Formula Red Honda S2000

Notice you posted that 2-2-2016,its now 3-21-2016 roughly 48 days and you still DONT have the parts thats why I posted the comment about your dealer...If you think thats great service good for you,carry on

This isn't the dealer's fault. I already indicated that in my OP. They have been great, got the car in on time, performed all the work without an issue, and are holding onto the filter until the "kit" arrives. They have absolutely NOTHING to do with when the kit arrives. It was ordered in a timely manner. You're suggestion that "they don't care" or "don't have any pull" is insulting to Carla, the service manager, and myself. You clearly don't live in Canada, and haven't had this recall performed in Canada, so STAY OUT OF MY THREAD. You are simply throwing in your "two cents" worth, which is not helpful in the least.

Rizzo
03-21-2016, 05:47 PM
This isn't the dealer's fault. I already indicated that in my OP. They have been great, got the car in on time, performed all the work without an issue, and are holding onto the filter until the "kit" arrives. They have absolutely NOTHING to do with when the kit arrives. It was ordered in a timely manner. You're suggestion that "they don't care" or "don't have any pull" is insulting to Carla, the service manager, and myself. You clearly don't live in Canada, and haven't had this recall performed in Canada, so STAY OUT OF MY THREAD. You are simply throwing in your "two cents" worth, which is not helpful in the least.

Woah Lochness. You must be stressed up there with all the snow on the ground..LOL. You need to come down to good old Regina and drive that thing. No snow here. Sun is shining and we are all out driving our cars. Ive had my G out 3 or 4 times already. Seriously. If you're ever down this way let me know. We meet up regularly for coffee and would love to see your Viper. We have 3 Gen 5's in the group plus a ton of Lambos, Ferraris and Porsches. Good luck with the recall stuff. Hopefully they get it sorted soon. I'll ask my bud if he has taken his in yet.

PS. Never mind my comment about the snow. I just looked outside and dammit. Its snowing.. HAHAHA

lochnessmonster
03-21-2016, 05:53 PM
As a matter of fact, I'm heading down to Moose Jaw on business April 4-7. I finish up at noon on the 7th and was thinking of heading down to Bengough from there and visiting a friend. If the weather is good I'll take the Viper. Maybe I can swing by Regina when the weekend comes on the 9th etc. I'll keep you posted. Thanx for the invite ;)

AZTVR
03-21-2016, 05:57 PM
As a matter of fact, I'm heading down to Moose Jaw on business

Boy, does that sound like a USA comedian talking like a Canadian stereotype ! LOL. Good luck with your issue.

Rizzo
03-21-2016, 05:59 PM
As a matter of fact, I'm heading down to Moose Jaw on business April 4-7. I finish up at noon on the 7th and was thinking of heading down to Bengough from there and visiting a friend. If the weather is good I'll take the Viper. Maybe I can swing by Regina when the weekend comes on the 9th etc. I'll keep you posted. Thanx for the invite ;)

Should be around that weekend. If the weather is nice we will probably go for a rip. If not you can always stop by the man cave for a beer or a coffee. Shoot me a PM if you are coming through.

lochnessmonster
03-22-2016, 08:35 AM
Sounds great Rizzo! Right now the forecast isn't looking all that favourable, but there's a lot of time for that to change. I will definitely get a hold of you if I'm heading through Regina. I might even drive the damn filter across the boarder to Plentywood, MT, and ship it from there myself if I don't see any results by the time I'm supposed to leave. Plentywood is just an hour from Bengough, and it would be a straight shot up the 6 to Regina and then home. I would really like to see them fully cover this though, and I don't feel like making the trip to Plentywood if I don't have to. I'll see what happens, and should have a better idea by Friday, April 1. Again, thanx for the invite. Cheers.

lochnessmonster
03-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Boy, does that sound like a USA comedian talking like a Canadian stereotype ! LOL. Good luck with your issue.

Haha...yep, Saskatchewan was colourful with the names of cities here. I think they wanted to remain consistent with the name of the Province, which most people in the States can't pronounce if they aren't familiar. We've got "Moose Jaw", and then there's "Regina", and we all can see what that rhymes with, and then there's "Saskatoon", which one of my buddies down in Colorado used to affectionately call "Saskatskatoon"................ I can say this though, after having lived in Pomona, CA, Houston, TX, and Parker, CO, Saskatchewan has some great benefits that you can't find in any of those places. Now, since I'm a U.S. citizen, perhaps I should start talking like a Canadian comedian making fun of the two front runners for the most powerful position in the world??? Hmmmmm......no, I think I'll just leave that one alone :) bark bark, bark......

kbench55
03-22-2016, 10:16 AM

I'm one of the 3 Gen 5s in the group that Rizzo is talking about. I see that you are done at noon on the 7th, which is a Thursday. That is usually the day that we meet for coffee. Maybe you would want to take a small detour and hit up our coffee and meet the rest of the group.

lochnessmonster
03-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Wow that's an awesome coincidence!!! I will absolutely do that if I take the Viper. That would work out great. I think I'll have a pretty good idea by Friday April 1st whether or not the weather will hold up for the four days. Thanx for reaching out. I'll let you guys know. Let's hope it works out. Cheers.

LmeaViper
03-23-2016, 06:53 PM

LOL, I lived in both Regina and Moose Jaw in my life.

lochnessmonster
03-23-2016, 11:19 PM
LOL, I lived in both Regina and Moose Jaw in my life.

Gotta say, I grew up as a snobby B.C. boy, but I absolutely love Saskatchewan.

lochnessmonster
04-01-2016, 10:10 AM
So, the kit finally arrived today at my dealership. For those of you in Canada waiting for this, it literally took well over a month to get it in, but it did arrive. It consists of exactly 3 parts: a cardboard box, a plastic bag with a white label on it to put the VIN and Mileage on, and a prepaid UPS Ground label to put on the box. My experience with UPS Ground from the U.S. to Canada has been that it will take about 10-14 days. I'll be surprised if it gets there any sooner than that. Then it sounds like about a week turnaround for the results, so I'll be expecting to post the results in early May.

swexlin
04-01-2016, 10:14 AM
What about the R29 parts? They didn't order them in at the same time?

lochnessmonster
04-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Yep, they were ordered at the same time. In fact, the door handle parts were ordered as well, since I figured I'd get everything done at the same time. The door handle parts and the R29 parts arrived without issue, but the R28 parts were not showing up. They showed as "back ordered" on my dealer's computer, so I've been harassing FCA customer service since March 4th, when the R29, handles, node reprogram, and R28 were performed to get the damn cardboard box, plastic bag, and UPS label. Now all I have left to do is the seat position recall, which is scheduled for April 15th, 2016. Apparently they need to take the seats out to determine whether or not the shims need to be ordered, so it will be a two part process if the shims are needed. One day to take the seats out, and put them back in while we wait for the parts, and another day to actually install the shims. Once that's done, I'll just wait for the results, and if I pass, I'm in the clear....... :)

gpearl
04-18-2016, 07:56 PM
I had mine done a week ago. Only R29 though. Still took them almost 3 weeks to get the parts in. (valve cover , coil cover , and the oil / filter ).

Same story with mine. Done today. Good to get an oil change out of the deal.