PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Aero hatch release question

kverges
03-13-2016, 02:46 PM
Is it normal to have to pull up while releasing hatch? The hatch stays partially latched when released otherwise and I was thinking about adding a spring to pop it clear of latch so I can release without both hands.

Nambo
03-13-2016, 02:51 PM
Some sort of safety feature devised by a sadistic engineer at Dodge. You have to press the release button and pull up on the hatch at the same time. My TA was the same so I believe all Gen V's are that way.

Steve M
03-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Even my Gen 4 coupe does this, so I'd think it's just par for the course.

ViperSmith
03-13-2016, 03:03 PM
My 2013 and 2015 do this

swexlin
03-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Same here, and you have to press the release on the fob, then the button on the hatch, then pull on the hatch - all three juuuusssst right. It is one of the odd quirks of the Viper.

Space Truckin
03-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Some sort of safety feature devised by a sadistic engineer at Dodge. You have to press the release button and pull up on the hatch at the same time. My TA was the same so I believe all Gen V's are that way.

^^^this^^^ and I believe do to additional weight of CF wing/ supports it just a bit heavier for the release mechanism...JM2C

ViperPete
03-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Sometimes I have to use both hands, sometimes I don't.

Never can tell.

ZeeViper
03-13-2016, 05:10 PM
I think it has to do with the gasket sealing so well it ends up sticking to it, just takes a little getting used to. I always push the button and quickly move my hand to the brake light and pull. I just don't wanna get finger prints or scratches on the paint, thats why go for the brake light hahah. Classic anal car guy weird shit.

Prefer it seals well and takes a little extra umph than leaking.

Malu59RT
03-14-2016, 07:08 AM
It's much easier on my 2013 than my 2008 (CF hatch is much lighter). I can lift my hatch with just one finger, while using the same hand to hit the release button above the license plate.

ViperTony
03-14-2016, 08:55 AM
I use both of my hands one to push the button and the other to lift the hatch. It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

98intrigue
03-14-2016, 09:10 AM
Viper problems...

TA Two Oh
03-14-2016, 09:35 AM
For part of the year, our TA 2.0 is our only car. So it goes to Costco, Home Depot, Factory Outlets, Wal Mart etc. It bothered me to use two hands to open the hatch, on account of the extra release required. (I push the release, either on the car or the fob, then have to push it a second time as I lift with my other hand) Plus, using two hands meant I was always putting whatever was in my left hand on the less-than-spotless ground, just before setting it on my carpet.

So, at Viper Tracks II, I asked Eric Heuschele about it. He told me that the release mechanism was a Fiat 500 part that they had to use. BTW he said that our rear, side marker lights are also from the Five Hun. Parts sharing is a reality whenever costs are considered, which is... Always. Then he showed me to lift up on the hatch with the heel of my right hand as I pushed the button with one of the fingers on the same hand. Bingo. One smooth action, with one hand, and I only have to press the button once, since I now lift it PAST the second release threshold as I'm pressing the button the first time. I felt pretty stupid, having to have the Chief Engineer point that out to me. And the heel of my hand leaves a big smudge on the hatch now. But at least I'm no longer putting dirty grocery bags in my car.

Nine Ball
03-15-2016, 05:19 AM
It is part of the safety design. I was actually instructed on this by the Chief Engineer, when I picked my '13 Viper up at the factory. If you just push the button or fob button, it goes into an intermediate catch position. If you gently lift on the hatch while pushing either button, it will lift in one motion. You only have to hit the button once if you lift at the same time.