PDA

View Full Version : Help with 2006 "Roll Bars"

CarolinaViper
03-03-2016, 06:02 PM
I put this in the General Forum, but not with a great title description and maybe in the wrong area. VOA of the Carolinas is trying to rent the track at Kershaw, SC and a issue came up with the factory "Roll Bar" protection for the 2006 Viper.

The track operators need some information on how the factor "roll bar" is connected to the frame of the Viper for insurance reasons. Told them we had our own insurance with the VOA (via an extra track-day insurance rider) and they stated it did not matter. The track operators wants to ensure the "Roll Bar" is not just for looks but is connected to the frame in some manner. Need some guidance on where to obtain information or anything that relates how the"roll bar" is connected. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Slithr
03-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Coupe or Convertible? The convertible cars have 'Roll hoops', I believe intentionally not called Roll Bar for safety reasons. Never tried, but I've been told a good swing with a bat will remove them.

CarolinaViper
03-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Yes, I guess it would help...its a convertible...coupe are no problems.

Stretch
03-04-2016, 09:40 AM
I've heard the same as what Slithr said above. Those hoops on the convertibles are mostly for looks. They do not have a true "roll bar" structure under them. There is one that you can buy that replaces those hoops and connects to the frame behind the seats that is a true roll bar structure.

fuggles
03-04-2016, 02:00 PM
You could ask Scott at speed tactics. He runs the viper tracks event. They require a true roll bar on verts. He may know the specifics of why.

CarolinaViper
03-04-2016, 02:18 PM
Guys,

Thanks for all your help.

Jeff

Vprbite
03-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Someone in Phoenix about a year ago recently learned, very very sadly, that the Vert does not have a true roll bar when he lived but his passenger did not. As I understand it, it really is just about looks. I know autoform does a rollbar that installs fairly easily and I think he can get to you pretty quickly.

Also, I have heard of vert owners using a hard top instead. In fact I've even known of the club to have a couple hard tops to loan to different members during track events. So to many tracks, they accept a hard top even if it doesn't really do much more than the "sport bar" on there now.

Best of luck.

speedtactics
03-14-2016, 04:14 PM
You are correct in saying the Vert roll hoops are not qualified roll bars. You can contact Dan Cragin at SPT he has created a set of bolt in roll bars for the 2003-2010 Verts. They bolt into the existing roll hoop locations and require very minor modification. He can give you the detail. He was performing installs for our last two Viper Tracks events. SPT 626-588-2882
I put this in the General Forum, but not with a great title description and maybe in the wrong area. VOA of the Carolinas is trying to rent the track at Kershaw, SC and a issue came up with the factory "Roll Bar" protection for the 2006 Viper.

The track operators need some information on how the factor "roll bar" is connected to the frame of the Viper for insurance reasons. Told them we had our own insurance with the VOA (via an extra track-day insurance rider) and they stated it did not matter. The track operators wants to ensure the "Roll Bar" is not just for looks but is connected to the frame in some manner. Need some guidance on where to obtain information or anything that relates how the"roll bar" is connected. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

FrgMstr
03-14-2016, 04:59 PM
I have driven on a lot of road courses and have never had the roll hoops be an issue as long as I ran with the top up. That said, those roll hoops are in no way a "roll bar." That said, Viper engineers will tell you that the roll hoops are more than engineered to support the weight of the car. However, and I have researched this over the years, the Vert accidents where the roll hoops fail, is where they get sheared off by forward or backward movement. I have never seen any crushed due to the actual roll over.

That all said, it is up to the track whether or not they will allow you onto their course with your car and roll over protection. Again, I have never seen a course that did not allow Vert stock Vipers on their tracks.

Now that you know that, and are tracking the car, call Steve over at Autoform and get a real roll bar put into the car. You can do it yourself in your garage.

http://kylebennett.com/files/hfpics/Rollbar%20in%20Crate.jpg

http://kylebennett.com/files/hfpics/Roll%20Bar%20Install%2010.jpg

http://kylebennett.com/files/hfpics/Roll%20Bar%20Install%2022.jpg

http://kylebennett.com/files/hfpics/Roll%20Bar%20Install%2020.jpg

J TNT
03-14-2016, 05:07 PM
That sounds like an interesting option . Any pictures of final product ? Thanks !
You are correct in saying the Vert roll hoops are not qualified roll bars. You can contact Dan Cragin at SPT he has created a set of bolt in roll bars for the 2003-2010 Verts. They bolt into the existing roll hoop locations and require very minor modification. He can give you the detail. He was performing installs for our last two Viper Tracks events. SPT 626-588-2882

speedtactics
03-14-2016, 06:38 PM
I don't have any photos but maybe Dan Cragin will chime in. His looks similar but different to the solution above.

Herrsss
03-15-2016, 03:31 PM
My first track event was with Viper Days in 2008 and they required me to borrow their hoops because the factory ones are for looks only. I was not happy when I saw the inside of them after they were removed so I bought the fugly hoops from Viper Days for safety reasons - you can roll over on the street as well as at the track. I subsequently bought an Autoform roll bar, had it painted Venom Red to match the car and installed. I have also put an Autoform roll bar in Medusa #1 although the only track time she will see is at NVE2 and subsequent national events as I now have a dedicated track car.

FrgMstr
03-15-2016, 05:04 PM
the factory ones are for looks only.

This is simply not true. Talk to SRT engineers about it.

J TNT
03-15-2016, 06:29 PM
This is simply not true. Talk to SRT engineers about it.
Can you shed some light on the factory hoops ?
Thanks ! :)

Joel
03-15-2016, 08:50 PM
No sanctioning body that I know of calls the factory hoops "roll bars". But for HPDE, I have never had to have a roll bar though I do have an Autoform bar in my car. I can tell you the stock hoops in the Gen 3 - 4 cars will not provide a whole lot of protection as they are aluminum bars and not very substantial. Putting a roll bar in a coupe would be more difficult than a convertible. I did install my bar and it is not easy but if you have some mechanical skills you can do it.

Can you shed some light on the factory hoops ?
Thanks ! :)

CarolinaViper
03-15-2016, 10:06 PM
Guys & Gals,

Thanks for the tread info, I will pass it along to our member. I have heard the same thing about the "Hoops" and other tracks allowing the factory set up as long as you have the soft top up. Unfortunately, the track at Kershaw, needs some design specs showing how the "Hoops" are integrated into frame of the vehicle before they make a decision.

Again thanks for your different viewpoints that will let our member make a decision.

Jeff

J TNT
03-16-2016, 03:53 PM
Thanks Joel for confirming my thought's, wasn't sure if there was more to it than met the eye .

No sanctioning body that I know of calls the factory hoops "roll bars". But for HPDE, I have never had to have a roll bar though I do have an Autoform bar in my car. I can tell you the stock hoops in the Gen 3 - 4 cars will not provide a whole lot of protection as they are aluminum bars and not very substantial. Putting a roll bar in a coupe would be more difficult than a convertible. I did install my bar and it is not easy but if you have some mechanical skills you can do it.