PDA

View Full Version : Weird tire options

mdelorenzo
02-26-2016, 03:56 PM
So while hunting for a used set of SW IIs I've been looking for new tires to replace my existing ones if I go down that path. My current tire sizes:

275/30R19
335/30R20

In my research the respective front Pirellis are MO Mercedes and the rears are Lamborghini! I'm not sure if running those tires would be a problem? Any advice on what other sizes to look at? The Lambo tires have 160 tread compared to 220 on the fronts. I wouldn't really want the rears to hook up and the fronts to lose traction...not that I drive like an animal though. Thoughts?

Vprbite
02-29-2016, 01:37 AM
As far as I know, mixing tires is generally considered a bad idea. The exceptions being hardcore drag setups running skinnies in the front and drag radials in the rear.

Someone with more knowledge than me can tell you more, but I've been told not to do it as it can lead to unpredictable handling.

mdelorenzo
02-29-2016, 06:36 AM
As far as I know, mixing tires is generally considered a bad idea. The exceptions being hardcore drag setups running skinnies in the front and drag radials in the rear.

Someone with more knowledge than me can tell you more, but I've been told not to do it as it can lead to unpredictable handling.

That is my worry. I am just not sure what else I can run.

fuggles
02-29-2016, 10:47 AM
What do you mean by the rears are lambos? All 4 tires are the same brand? What are you planning to do with the car? If you plan on normal street driving I wouldn't worry about it. I have mixed tires many times with out any issues.

parabs
02-29-2016, 11:06 AM
That is my worry. I am just not sure what else I can run.

Call tirerack and see what they say about it/what they recommend. My initial feeling is there is obviously some type of differences if the tread wear rating is the same on the same model of tire.

Interesting dilemma, I'm curious how this will turn out.

mdelorenzo
02-29-2016, 12:32 PM
What do you mean by the rears are lambos? All 4 tires are the same brand? What are you planning to do with the car? If you plan on normal street driving I wouldn't worry about it. I have mixed tires many times with out any issues.

The P-zero in that size is OE for Lamborghini...I think the aventador in my research. That doesn't worry me so much as the front size is stamped MO mercedes. The tirerack guy confirmed the MO mercedes and told me the rears were OE for Lamborghini. The tirerack guy also said they aren't told what the differences are if they are stamped for a car company. I do not believe the rears are stamped, but the tread is softer @ 160 vs 220 on the fronts.