PDA

View Full Version : First track day with the Viper at the Ridge Motorsports Park

Tamvette
02-21-2016, 10:02 PM
The day started with mixed conditions and Viper did not like anything above 40% throttle at the first session. It got better throughout the day, even with me learning the car and driving cautiously, it was a lot of fun and could set some baseline lap times. The car was completely stock except the TA alignment.

The only mishap of the day was a P0300 which didn't reoccur after restarting the car. I will ask the dealership to look into it. I also noticed the the flap inside the fuel door of my wife's 2015 Grand Cherokee stays closed but mine is stays open. I am not sure if it is just a different design or some kind of malfunction keeping that flap open. (could explain the p0300 due to fuel starvation? ) No clue if this theory has any merit.

Does this look normal to you guys?
https://goo.gl/photos/3vamEVSTmbbKxMoS7

I also kept turning the radio on during laps accidentally which was annoying but I will fix that next time : )

Some lapping: (Data out of sync)

https://youtu.be/azzDCVkPf4s

The P0300:

https://youtu.be/n1KYwydRGD8

esm_viper
02-21-2016, 10:24 PM
Nice driving! How did your brakes hold up? I got brake fade after the 1st 20min session and had to baby the brakes the rest of the day at COTA. I have since ordered Carbotech pads and the ACR cooling ducts.

Tamvette
02-21-2016, 10:27 PM
The brakes did well for stock pads. I didn't push them too hard as it was a cold day and also I knew I had to drive with these for a couple more weeks. I will be switching over to noisy race brake pads soon. : )

Tamvette
02-21-2016, 11:41 PM
My friend pointed out the initial video was out of sync with data about a lap : ). Here is in-sync version of the baseline lap.

https://youtu.be/blhy9xRQXvA

Jabba954
02-22-2016, 12:05 AM
I love the random Mariachi.

KB Viper
02-22-2016, 12:40 AM
another member, screen name Tiki had the same issue with the gas cap.

Tamvette
02-22-2016, 12:51 AM
another member, screen name Tiki had the same issue with the gas cap.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if it was by design.

Dman
02-22-2016, 07:01 AM
First time tracking the gen5 I was turning the radio on too, funny,mans not. I have big mits and racing gloves don't help with those buttons. Small hand adjustment and didn't have the problem on subsequent outings. The gen5 hand placement is a tad more 10-2 then I'm used to on my previous cars and vipers, and those buttons are right there, especially with big hands. You're the first other person I've heard say this, glad I'm not the only one who ever did that.

viperr
02-22-2016, 09:03 AM
Great video. I ran that track a lot in my RT-10. I haven't gotten my Gen V there yet, but it looks like a nice and very fast setup. That is a nice time too.

I am curious about where and how the camera was mounted for those shots. I am trying to figure out a good way to mount mine in the GTS. I am going to Mojave in April and they don't allow suction cup mounts inside the car due to safety issues in case it comes loose.

Hope to see you there on an upcoming track day.

Tamvette
02-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if it was by design.

Looking into the issue "Tiki" had, looks like his fuel door wouldn't close properly. With mine the outer door stays closed but inner flap(don't know correct name) is not in closed position when I open the fuel door.

Tamvette
02-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Great video. I ran that track a lot in my RT-10. I haven't gotten my Gen V there yet, but it looks like a nice and very fast setup. That is a nice time too.

I am curious about where and how the camera was mounted for those shots. I am trying to figure out a good way to mount mine in the GTS. I am going to Mojave in April and they don't allow suction cup mounts inside the car due to safety issues in case it comes loose.

Hope to see you there on an upcoming track day.

Thank you! It would be great to have another Gen 5 to compare. The gopro sticky mount is mounted between seats. I didn't want to ruin the leather but figured I can keep the mount on there always.

Tamvette
02-22-2016, 10:52 AM
First time tracking the gen5 I was turning the radio on too, funny,mans not. I have big mits and racing gloves don't help with those buttons. Small hand adjustment and didn't have the problem on subsequent outings. The gen5 hand placement is a tad more 10-2 then I'm used to on my previous cars and vipers, and those buttons are right there, especially with big hands. You're the first other person I've heard say this, glad I'm not the only one who ever did that.

I am also glad I am not the only one : ) I don't think I will switch my hand position as it has a potential of ruining the driving experience for me. I was going to look into disabling those butttons somehow.

allans
02-22-2016, 08:07 PM
On track, mine turns on too. It is always under heavy braking while down shifting to third. Never thought my hand was hitting it but it must be. Best, Allan

viperr
02-22-2016, 11:17 PM
After hearing about the radio and bumping the buttons I think I will make sure the volume is turned down so I don't get distracted if some AC-DC music starts blaring in the middle of a turn. I would reserve it for the long straight.

Nine Ball
02-23-2016, 08:49 AM
What a beautiful looking track, surface looks nice and smooth, too. I had to look it up. Damnit, too far away!

Tony

viperr
02-23-2016, 12:29 PM
It has only been open for a few years. It is wonderful to have a nice new track an hour away. In addition to the road course they have built an exact 1/5 scale go kart track. It has all the elevation changes and is a blast to play on. You should check out the website at http://ridgemotorsportspark.com/ for details.

I wish I was closer to COTA so I could enjoy one of your tracks.

Tamvette
02-23-2016, 01:09 PM
What a beautiful looking track, surface looks nice and smooth, too. I had to look it up. Damnit, too far away!

Tony

I am hoping Top Gear ( original one) will do some filming there since they work for Amazon now. : ) Let me know if you ever stop by PNW, I do have a Miata I can rent out.

Longdaddy
02-24-2016, 12:21 AM
Looks like a fun day! I like to do T8 in 3rd on the days when I find I have to modulate the throttle too much taking it in 2nd. As someone who coached me there once said "lower intensity is faster" :)

Tamvette
02-24-2016, 02:31 AM
Looks like a fun day! I like to do T8 in 3rd on the days when I find I have to modulate the throttle too much taking it in 2nd. As someone who coached me there once said "lower intensity is faster" :)

Thanks for the tip. As I mentioned, this was more of a baseline day, a lot to try throughout the summer. I am really happy about how good the car ran with stock setup. It was so much more friendly than I expected, I guess I should have ignored "journalist" reviews.

Already ordered the brake pads, very excited about the potential. Hope to see you there next time.