PDA

View Full Version : grand cherokee diesel

Ninjakris
12-26-2013, 10:33 AM
I was bored a couple days ago and checked out the new Jeep GC Diesel. To those that don't know, they are now offering a 3.0 liter diesel with a 8 speed tranny. It makes for a pretty impressive SUV. 240hp/420tq. I have drove a few small diesel engine cars overseas, and always though they were pretty cool. Back to the GC, you can hear the diesel in the cabin, but just barely. If the music was on, it wouldn't be noticeable. I didn't get on it really hard, but for city driving, it had more than enough power. It was the 2WD model so didn't have all the cool adjustable ride height air suspension stuff, but still drove very nice. The interior was top notch and nothing really bad to say about that. It also gets 22/30mpg and tows 7Klbs. It really is the best of everything. However, when you get the best of everything, it comes at a cost. The 2WD version I drove was $47K. Currently, if you want the diesel, it only comes on the top of the line models (I still don't understand that one). I "built" the cheapest GC diesel on Jeeps website and it was like $43K. I would love to own one, but I can't justify spending that much on a SUV. We are talking nice used viper prices here. lol. I DD a 2010 Honda Ridgeline and while it can't tow that much or get that good of mileage, its paid off and I really like not having payments.

Space Truckin
12-26-2013, 11:35 AM
I have been tracking the new Dodge diesel and I am waiting for Ram Truck w same diesel in a quad cab :fpopcorn:

cobraken
12-26-2013, 01:06 PM
And I'm waiting for that power train in a Wrangler Rubicon. Love the torque and MPG ratings. I have a '12 Rubi Unlimited w/ the 285 hp v-6. No torque and I'm averaging 18 MPG over all.

Ohiotj
12-26-2013, 01:09 PM
I like the idea of the diesel but they should have gone with the cummins. They offered a grand Cherokee a few years back in diesel and it wasn't very popular. However the liberty diesel sold better then expectations. They started the Cherokee off with diesel in limited and overland models at first but then dropped the engine price and made it an option on the base models. That helped sales a lot. That is my guess as to what they will do again. Where did you get to drive one at? I didn't know those were on dealer lots already.

Ninjakris
12-26-2013, 02:10 PM
I didn't think they were out either. It is at a dodge dealership in charleston sc. I was there ordering a couple overpriced screws for the viper and noticed it. I'm also waiting for the truck version as well. I think that engine would do fantastic in the wrangler. All that torque is a off-roaders dream. I didn't know they have attempted the diesel in the gc before. After driving it, I don't see any reason for a larger commins motor. From what I read, this engine was developed a few years ago but didn't really have a home until now. I'm sure cummins could have created a small displacement motor, but there is no real reason to if they already had one.

Ohiotj
12-26-2013, 03:12 PM
The engine is from a company owned by fiat. That's what I understand. Cummins had already developed an eight cylinder diesel for the 1500 trucks. The cummins engine is now going to a Nissan truck from what I have read. I dont know of the older gc years for sure but it was around 2007 and 2008. They were ok engines but jeep didnt advertise them a lot and they sat on the lots. If they sat for too long the fuel did damage to fuel system. The owner of the dealership I worked at asked the employees to drive the gc around to keep the fuel moving.
Jeep gets asked all the time for a diesel in the wrangler. Truth is the wrangler will sell good no matter what engine is in it. Plus when they ask customers if they are willing to spend an extra 6 k for it the answer is usually no. So that is a very small niche market. Wranglers have been available for many years in Europe with the diesel. I doubt they will bring it over anytime soon.

Anonymous
12-26-2013, 04:29 PM
I was looking at the GC w/ the diesel ,didn't buy cause the fully loaded thing ,why does it have to be that way,stupid!