PDA

View Full Version : Help with radiator R&R (Seattle)

mdpalmer
02-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Hey guys, new B/W '97 GTS owner here. Recently found a very minor leak coming from the radiator. Had a dealer quote me over $900 for labor to R&R. Took the car to another place to replace fluids (engine oil, trans, diff), and the car would have sat for a while at their shop while they figured out what to do with it. Only reason I have been taking the car to a mechanic instead of doing the work myself is I no longer have any tools or a personal garage. I found a local radiator shop to re-core the radiator for $600.

Any of you guys in the Seattle area want to help me do a radiator swap? My car would have to sit at your place for probably 2 weeks to a month, depending on how fast we can R&R the part, have it re-cored, and refill the cooling system.

My car is in storage ATM, and I'm only around on weekends to do the work.

From what I've read, the hood does NOT have to come off. Basically, unbolt P/S cooler, move it out of the way, remove the hoses from the rad, remove the rad shroud/disconnect plugs, and unbolt the rad and pull it out (being careful not to get coolant all over the engine and banging your head on the hood). Install is reverse of removal... we'll see how that goes. Judging from what I read, we could probably pull the rad in 1-2 hours start to finish... assuming no issues (which of course could always come up). Maybe a little longer to get it back in, and then a few hours to fill/bleed coolant.

I'm looking to start the radiator work maybe in April or May timeframe. To re-core the radiator takes 3-5 days. Let me know guys! Attaching a recent pic of the car.

Double0fox
02-15-2016, 07:30 PM
I just swapped mine out. 30 min job. Mine too was leaking. I happened to get lucky, and find a pretty much new OEM unit on ebay for cheap. I didn't remove the hood, or power steering lines BTW.

C-Note
02-17-2016, 03:53 PM
You can find nice aluminum radiators for around the 600 you are talking to have yours re-cored. Get your hands on a new on and the car wont need to sit for two weeks.

AZTVR
02-17-2016, 04:40 PM
You can find nice aluminum radiators for around the 600 you are talking to have yours re-cored. Get your hands on a new on and the car wont need to sit for two weeks.

Just an FYI, there have been quite a few posts on several forums of leaking aluminum radiators in the Gen II Viper, over the years. Well known name brands included. (I have no personal experience with them, myself.)

mdpalmer
02-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Just an FYI, there have been quite a few posts on several forums of leaking aluminum radiators in the Gen II Viper, over the years. Well known name brands included. (I have no personal experience with them, myself.)

Yup. I've been reading the same thing. Still looking into this. I find it strange that it would be an issue with the Gen II. My old car ran an aftermarket aluminum one for years with no issues at all. May be something to do with how it is mounted (flexing mounts = stressed radiator).. although I am not familiar with the mounting design. I think the OEM rad has copper/brass end tanks. Maybe it's more durable if well cared for.