PDA

View Full Version : Battery Issue

dbow119
12-26-2013, 03:31 AM
I bought my 2003 Viper in March 2013. The day after I brought the car home, the batter was dead so I bought a brand new one in April from my local Advanced Auto Parts. I put the car away for the winter in late October and took it out once more in November when we had a rare 60+ degree day in November. Yesterday I went to start the car to let it run and the battery was dead. My father owns a Shelby GT500 that he hasn't started since October and it started right up. Do you think I have a faulty battery or is this common for our Vipers?

usmcly
12-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Common in the viper. Get a battery tender. Both my viper had issues if you don't turn it on over a week. I believe has something to do with the Alarm.

BlknBlu
12-26-2013, 06:56 AM
If you do not put the car in sleep mode you get about 2 weeks before the battery dies. I have a tender on it all the time when done driving.

Bruce

01sapphirebob
12-26-2013, 07:04 AM
I bought my 2003 Viper in March 2013. The day after I brought the car home, the batter was dead so I bought a brand new one in April from my local Advanced Auto Parts. I put the car away for the winter in late October and took it out once more in November when we had a rare 60+ degree day in November. Yesterday I went to start the car to let it run and the battery was dead. My father owns a Shelby GT500 that he hasn't started since October and it started right up. Do you think I have a faulty battery or is this common for our Vipers?

Yea. Get a battery tender or use sleep mode as others have suggested. Delton Battery Tender is the one I use on both my Vipers. Haven't had an issue with starting in eight years of ownership.

pony23
12-26-2013, 07:37 AM
I had the exact same thing happen to me the other day. Brand new battery and it was just shy of starting the car. I think it doesn't help that the battery is in the rear of the car. There is a lot of voltage loss getting to the starter due to wire length. Drag racers always had to upsize the wire when they move it to the trunk.

Space Truckin
12-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Yea. Get a battery tender or use sleep mode as others have suggested. Deltran Battery Tender is the one I use on both my Vipers. Haven't had an issue with starting in eight years of ownership.

^^what he said^^^

All of my "toys" have battery tenders......and also "seafoam" in the tank for storage

swexlin
12-26-2013, 01:12 PM
I keep my 2003 in sleep mode always. It has gone at least 4 weeks in an unheated garage (I don't have an outlet to keep a tender on it) and started. THree years back, replaced the Autozone battery which was dying with a Diehard Platinum, and it's been (knock wood) good since. It's been 3 weeks now since driving it, and I plan on getting it out this Saturday. Wish me luck!

JonB ~ PartsRack
12-26-2013, 01:17 PM
DIE-HARD PLATINUM or GOLD. PERIOD. No subs/excuses. NO Optima, ever.
BATTERY TENDER
SLEEP MODE

(the year matters)

swexlin
12-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Sleep mode is a lifesaver (and battery saver!) To the OP, put in sleep mode as follows:

Ignition off, windows up. Turn key in ignition TOWARDS you, 4 complete cycles. At the end of the 4th, hit your door lock button up, and you'll hear the "chirp". Key out of iginition, get out, shut door. You're done!

GT Venum
12-26-2013, 03:21 PM
JonB,

Why do you say no Optima? I just put one in my 09 ACR.

JonB ~ PartsRack
12-26-2013, 03:32 PM
With Optima you MUST use sleep mode (Gen 3-4-5) or Batter Tender.

I have seen more probs with Optima in Vipers than any other....and I LOVE THE COMPANY.. they even sponsored a series I raced in 4 years! (NEDRA) Even then, the Optima folks admitted that their battery did not like the long-cable-runs from trunk to PDM to Starter, and the higher-drain alarms of 96-97 G2 Era. Otherwise a great batty.

The old forum had a lot of probs posted too....

NOTHING but universal Praise from Die-Hards...it is just better battery for Vipers.

GT Venum
12-26-2013, 03:46 PM
JonB,

Good to know. I have always used the CTEK 7002 battery tenders on my cars. Hopefully this will extend the life of this battery.

St.Char
12-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Battery Tender plus for me....

Doug Levin Motorsports
12-26-2013, 06:54 PM
BATTERY TENDER
SLEEP MODE

(the year matters) What Jon said! The Sears Platinum is the best battery I have ever used on an SRT.

dbow119
12-27-2013, 12:29 AM
What exactly is sleep mode in relation to the car?

swexlin
12-27-2013, 02:44 AM
Conserves battery for people like me who can't use a tender My car can sit for a month at a time, especially in winter.

pony23
12-27-2013, 09:34 AM
I saw that someone sells a really nice battery tender hookup for the viper. Anybody remember who that is?

SSGNRDZ_28
12-27-2013, 09:39 AM
I saw that someone sells a really nice battery tender hookup for the viper. Anybody remember who that is?

Not sure if you were referring to my product, but if so here is a thread on the forum from one of my recent customers:

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/931-Battery-access-cover-GEN-3-amp-4-replacement

The battery tender connector comes mounted to the quick release battery cover. The entire package is lighter than the OEM panel itself.

There are many satisfied customers out there, let me know if you have any questions on the install.

Thanks,
Doug

pony23
12-27-2013, 09:46 AM
That's it!!!! Thanks.

Looks like I might have to purchase it soon.

X3 V10
12-31-2013, 07:09 PM
X2 on using a battery maintainer (make sure it is not just a charger) .

Wally world has a Schumacher model for under $20.00 and it has nice leds on the front panel that indicate the charging/battery status. I used one on a Prowler and got a little over 6 years out of the stock battery.

KRATEDISEASE
12-31-2013, 07:12 PM
BATTERY TENDER
SLEEP MODE

(the year matters)

Yes, I agree NEVER buy an OPTIMA.... they are garbage, and once they go bad it is impossible to desulfate them. I have gone thru about 5 Optima batteries and all had a internal shorts or went bad within a year and could not be brought back .. they are very low quality.