PDA

View Full Version : Gen 5 ACR halo seat

ek1
02-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just placed a deposit for a 2016 ACR. 95% of the use will be track days and driving to/from the track. I have been doing HPDE for the past 3 years and renting race cars for track sessions. Last season I started driving at speeds where g-forces were starting to cause a lot of neck strain (and pain). I have a carbon fiber helmet and it helps somewhat, but I have a herniated disc in my neck and with ACR having much more grip and much higher cornering speeds than cars I was driving previously, I was hoping to put in a halo seat, which would allow me to rest the helmet against the lateral support, thus avoiding neck strain. I spoke to Mark Jorgensen @ Woodhouse yesterday and he told me that most racing seats would not fit, and having a slider is out of the question due to limited height. There are a few other limitations. One is that I dont really want to start cutting interior pieces to make a racing seat fit. Another one is that whatever seat I get needs to be compatible with a HANS device.

At this point I am sh1tting bricks because without the halo seat every track session in the ACR will result in a lot of pain and misery in the following week. I am really doing this for fun and enjoyment, so the less pain I endure the better.

I found 2 other posts about racing seats here, but they refer to Gen 4 and/or VCC setups and I have no idea how similar/different cockpits are between Gen 4 and 5 (let alone VCC). Those posts mention Race Tech seats, so I looked a their web site. I am 5'11" and 35 waist, so unfortunately I am right in the center of their sizing chart (meaning its not clear if I need their Standard, Tall or Wide & Tall option. And of course their nearest dealer is 358 miles away from me.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Eugene

Junkie
02-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Have you tried using a HANS or something similar instead of a seat swap? I know in my drag car it won't let me head move much at all

ek1
02-06-2016, 07:48 PM
I dont yet have a HANS device (ordering it next month, will have it before the car arrives), but I was pretty sure that HANS does not affect lateral (side to side) movement of the head. It only prevents forward movement during the impact, so it won't do anything to relieve neck strain while cornering. Are you saying you cannot tilt your head side to side when you are wearing HANS in your drag car?

allans
02-06-2016, 08:34 PM
ek1, Iv'e been trying for 3 years to find a proper seat and have been unsuccessful. Please keep us informed if you can find a solution. CJ has said he has a Race Seat but has not specified what it is, maybe he can give some info here. Best, Allan

ek1
02-06-2016, 10:04 PM
Oh boy....and here I thought this was going to be a matter of taking stock seats out, buying a couple of racing seats and bolting them in.

The sad part is that some pictures I saw indicates that there is a halo seat that fits the Viper, although its installed in GTS-R and GT3-R:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/08/the-snake-returns-alms-srt-viper-gts-r/
http://www.mopargarage.net/images/DSC_9129_1_.jpg

Apparently those seats fit even with a roll cage installed (which I am not going to have), so there is a glimmer of hope, but I already see where this is going.

mjorgensen
02-06-2016, 10:31 PM
I sent out a feeler to the SRT guys about the track record cars seat, like I told you I won't likely hear till next week though. If there is a solution they will have it just need to wait to hear.

ek1
02-06-2016, 10:38 PM
Thanks, Mark. I have faith in you :)

TrackratViper
02-07-2016, 09:03 AM
If the seat does not work out, try one of the old style doughnut shaped neck supports along with the HANS device. I used one of these in a Can-AM car in the pre HANS days. They do a reasonable job of holding your head upright in high G corners. Most safety equipment suppliers still make them and the cost is minimal. Circle track racers use them a lot.

FrankBarba
02-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Check out Butler Racing Seats, or the Allison built Racing Seats.....

steve911
02-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Unless you are built like "a hockey stick with hair" nothing is going to fit unless you remove the inner door panel, and even then you have limited choices.
Comp Coupes, the GT3 cars not only had the door panel removed but also the inside door structure. Basically leaving and outer skin and the perimeter structure.

Have you considered the helmet tethers like the dirt racers use? They control side to side movement quite well.

ViperPete
02-07-2016, 02:07 PM
The Viper interior is already so cramped. I could barely get my helmet on unless I dipped my head over into the center console/pass side to put it on. I'm 6' tall so maybe that's the reason I don't know.

Good luck finding a racing seat- I hope you fine what you are looking for.

RedTanRT/10
02-07-2016, 03:33 PM
EK1, if you want a halo seat then the Racetech is your best bet. They came standard in the comp coupe and the G4 ACR-X.

The interior dimensions of both those vipers should be close to your G5, keeping in mind the door panel has been gutted. Any fit issues will be on the drivers side.

To keep the fit better, you'll probably want the standard size vs, the wide.

I have a cobra seat in my G4, a wide version. To make it fit, in the stock door panel, a seat guy reshaped the upper and lower side bolsters (basically took some out but restitched it back all correctly)

Take a look at the picture, non-halo version, the upper bolster can be trimmed (look closely), so can the lower if there is a clearance issue. The most critical fit is the halo on the drivers side, can't trim that much.

As Mark of others have said, you won't have easy adjust ability. On mine, I have 1 1/2 of travel, but it requires unbolting the frame rails and adjusting. I'm 5'10, 36 in waist and we were able to position the seat great.

The key is finding someone who has fabrication skills and then figuring out a good location (forward/back as well as height and angle).

One note of caution, I was considering the Racetech halo, but a few folks advised me that it would be difficult on the street with visibility. Good luck and enjoy your new ACR!! Mike

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/racetech.jpg

ek1
02-07-2016, 05:47 PM
If the seat does not work out, try one of the old style doughnut shaped neck supports along with the HANS device. I used one of these in a Can-AM car in the pre HANS days. They do a reasonable job of holding your head upright in high G corners. Most safety equipment suppliers still make them and the cost is minimal. Circle track racers use them a lot.

I've been using the doughnut for the past 2 years. It definitely helps, but not as much as head restraints in the halo seat.

ek1
02-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Check out Butler Racing Seats, or the Allison built Racing Seats.....

Butler seats look good! I will be contacting them once Mark hears back from SRT guys. Unfortunately, these seats seem to have some side protrusions (probably structural reinforcements) that will definitely hit the door panel.

I could not find anything about Allison seats. Is that a racing boat thing?

ek1
02-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Unless you are built like "a hockey stick with hair" nothing is going to fit unless you remove the inner door panel, and even then you have limited choices.
Comp Coupes, the GT3 cars not only had the door panel removed but also the inside door structure. Basically leaving and outer skin and the perimeter structure.

Have you considered the helmet tethers like the dirt racers use? They control side to side movement quite well.

Steve, no unfortunately I am not built like that :) I am somewhere in the middle between the hockey stick and a professional wrestler (probably same as 90% of people). For some reason I thought that as long as the racing seat is the same width as the stock seat, it should fit. Of course, the trick is finding that seat.

ek1
02-07-2016, 06:23 PM
EK1, if you want a halo seat then the Racetech is your best bet. They came standard in the comp coupe and the G4 ACR-X.

The interior dimensions of both those vipers should be close to your G5, keeping in mind the door panel has been gutted. Any fit issues will be on the drivers side.

To keep the fit better, you'll probably want the standard size vs, the wide.

I have a cobra seat in my G4, a wide version. To make it fit, in the stock door panel, a seat guy reshaped the upper and lower side bolsters (basically took some out but restitched it back all correctly)

Take a look at the picture, non-halo version, the upper bolster can be trimmed (look closely), so can the lower if there is a clearance issue. The most critical fit is the halo on the drivers side, can't trim that much.

As Mark of others have said, you won't have easy adjust ability. On mine, I have 1 1/2 of travel, but it requires unbolting the frame rails and adjusting. I'm 5'10, 36 in waist and we were able to position the seat great.

The key is finding someone who has fabrication skills and then figuring out a good location (forward/back as well as height and angle).

One note of caution, I was considering the Racetech halo, but a few folks advised me that it would be difficult on the street with visibility. Good luck and enjoy your new ACR!! Mike

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/racetech.jpg

Mike, these are great suggestions. I was thinking the same thing (trimming things here and there without compromising protection/safety) or even finding a company that makes custom seats.

As far as Racetech seats go, I am smack in the middle of their sizing chart, so theoretically a standard version should be OK. Looks like the slider is out of a question due to height issues, but at the same time the ACR has adjustable pedals and steering wheel, which should somewhat eliminate the need for a slider.

I realize that a halo seat will pretty much eliminate all side visibility, but it still allows you to see all mirrors and I am planning to get one of those huge racing mirrors (either curved or multi-panel) that clip on the stock mirror, which should help. The bigger problem with the halo is that I heard it makes it impossible to exit the vehicle if the door does not open, so its a safety issue as well.

FrankBarba
02-07-2016, 09:41 PM
I'm sorry it's not the Allison Family its the Lajoie seats.

fuggles
02-07-2016, 10:54 PM
Has anyone tried Kirkey?

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/

The 71 series fits in a Lotus Elise. hmm?
https://www.kirkeyracing.com/category/Series71/71-Series-Standard-20-Degree-Road-Race-Containment-Seat

ek1
02-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Has anyone tried Kirkey?

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/

The 71 series fits in a Lotus Elise. hmm?
https://www.kirkeyracing.com/category/Series71/71-Series-Standard-20-Degree-Road-Race-Containment-Seat

Just checked them out. Looks good in pictures, although some pieces (like the contraption that joins the halo part with the rest of the seat) will most likely not fit. Having said that, one of my instructors gave me a ride in a Lotus Exige (with race seats) and that has got to be THE most cramped interior I've ever been in, so whatever seat fits in a Lotus, MUST fit in a Viper.

mjorgensen
02-08-2016, 09:22 PM
I got this reply today from someone that had seats in the ACR, this is his description.

Mark,

They were custom Sparco Evo Carbon seats with custom narrow shoulder wing support to clear the door without having to cut off the seat shoulder wing. **Otherwise the seat’s left shoulder support wing needs to be cut (and the fabric seat cover sewn closed to match) to clear the driver door.* *Our seats were pretty narrow to begin with…… wider seats probably have a bigger clearance problem.

Seat mounting was the factory track & adjuster (with clearance in the seat butt pocket as necessary) to get the seat at the right height & angle.* On some vehicles we also custom made stationary seat brackets to bolt to the floor in stock bolt holes depending on the vehicle.

Chris

GTS-14
02-09-2016, 03:24 AM
Just checked them out. Looks good in pictures, although some pieces (like the contraption that joins the halo part with the rest of the seat) will most likely not fit. Having said that, one of my instructors gave me a ride in a Lotus Exige (with race seats) and that has got to be THE most cramped interior I've ever been in, so whatever seat fits in a Lotus, MUST fit in a Viper.

https://www.tillett.co.uk/car-racing-seat.asp

mjorgensen
02-09-2016, 09:06 AM
There were special seat made specifically for the SRT groups ACR they are not off the shelf seats... I did get some good info on mounting and a contact that can maybe help with the seat, but they do not offer a Halo seat in that configuration at this time. The seat bottom has to be flat not dished like most race seats or else the seat will sit to high. Sounds like there are a lot of variables and it will not be an easy bolt in using a slider. On the other hand if you can get a seat with narrow enough shoulder extensions so it does not rub the doors you could just build a steel plate that attaches to the stock holes in the floor and directly bolt the seat and bracket to it, will not move easy though.

fuggles
02-09-2016, 11:07 AM
https://www.tillett.co.uk/car-racing-seat.asp

Not halo as per OP requirement.

Nice seat though.

ek1
02-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Not halo as per OP requirement.

Nice seat though.

Yeah, too bad..they do look nice. Like I said before, the only reason I want a racing seat to begin with is to I can rest the helmet against the head support. Otherwise, I am getting a 6-point harness anyway, so I should not have a problem staying in the stock seat during cornering.

XSnake
02-10-2016, 06:26 AM
Racetech make a Viper specific seat. It's what came in the X's and CC's. I believe they were just RT4009HR's with the Viper logo on them. Tom Francis would be who I would call. http://racetech-usa.com/shop/RT4009HRV-motorsport-seats

I love mine.

twist-a-grip
02-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Racetech make a Viper specific seat. It's what came in the X's and CC's. I believe they were just RT4009HR's with the Viper logo on them. Tom Francis would be who I would call. http://racetech-usa.com/shop/RT4009HRV-motorsport-seats

I love mine.

This is what Racetech told me yesterday.

Nothing off the shelf, without some fabrication.

Is this car going to be used for track days and some street?

No cage?

Any brand of FIA composite seats will have some

clearance issues between the seat shoulder support and

the top inside of the door panels.. Most track guys, that want

to keep their factory interior will get another seat of door panels

that can be modified to clear the seats.. Sliders/floor mounting

has to fabricated as well….

Regards,

Brian Oleshak

National Sales Manager

Racetech USA Ltd

bmwtmx
02-11-2016, 09:10 AM
I've been looking to install a race seat and seems I am SOL. I guess I'm stuck using the seat lowering kit and belts with the stock seats which are not entirely comfortable nor do they hold you well on the track.

Camfab
02-13-2016, 06:41 PM
Nothing is impossible. Just have a custom seat made. If it's basically a track car anyway, I don't see what the problem is. Otherwise gut or pull the door panels and mod an off the shelf unit. If you have health and safety concerns money should not be an object. The carbon fiber helmet is certainly a great start, think mass x acceleration. Anyone who values their life should own one.

acrgt
02-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Does anyone know any places that have fabbed a roll bar for the gen V ? i haven't seen a post about that and would think that would be one of the first mods I would do.

CJW Racing
04-22-2016, 02:08 AM
just wanted to chime in on this thread- I'm 6'1 210 and tried to mount some super narrow recaro seats in the car but it would have required a bunch of drilling into the tub and I didn't feel like that was the right move.

I am really bummed because the amount of G-force this thing can generate at full tilt means you're pretty wasted trying to hold yourself in place in the stock seat with stock belts. I am considering the pursuit of the racetech seat and gutting the door. I won't be doing any track days (work) until around november so have some time to think about it. hopefully mounting the team tech harnesses will get me 80% of the way there.

my main concern is that I'm driving the car pretty balls out (because the car is fantastic and really easy to approach the limits of, so far) and lets face it if something goes wrong during a corner at 120+ mph (downforce!!) then I'm going to wad the car up really bad and don't want to be paralyzed in the process.

PAVenomRT/10
04-22-2016, 07:38 AM
Rather than replacing the seat, have you considered wearing a donut around your neck similar to what football players used to use to prevent neck injuries. I am sure you could have one fabricated that would fit with your helmet and HANS device that would limit side to side movement while driving. This would be a cheaper option to try than swapping seats.
PAVenomRT/10

ek1
04-22-2016, 07:49 AM
Rather than replacing the seat, have you considered wearing a donut around your neck similar to what football players used to use to prevent neck injuries. I am sure you could have one fabricated that would fit with your helmet and HANS device that would limit side to side movement while driving. This would be a cheaper option to try than swapping seats.
PAVenomRT/10

PAVenomRT: I have the donut and have been wearing it for the past 2 years. There are three issues with it:

1. It cannot be worn with a HANS device (which is why I can no longer wear one). I already asked a few places if they can fabricate the donut and nobody wants to do it (maybe because of liability reasons). Regardless, I looked at myself in the mirror while wearing a helmet and a HANS device and it will be a HUGE pain to fabricate a donut that fits perfectly. I think it's more like Mission: Impossible.

2. From personal experience I can tell you that even with the donut there is still a lot of neck strain during high speed cornerning. It's not an issue with my current level of driving, but I have been in cars driven by some of my instructors and quite a few times my helmet was resting against a halo or a roll cage and I could not even lift my head :) With a halo, there is pretty much zero strain since your helmet rests against it and there is little clearance between the halo and the helmet.

3. A donut does not provide anywhere near the amount of head/neck protection the halo seat does in the event of a crash.

06SRTCoupe
04-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Okay I need to ask this because no one else has. Ek1, is it a good idea to be racing with a herniated disc in your neck? If you can push through the pain that's great; but, if something were to happen out there, wouldn't you be at risk of further and more serious injury to your neck than you normally would? Is there any remedy to fix the disc so you can avoid this headache of looking for a custom seat?

ek1
04-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Okay I need to ask this because no one else has. Ek1, is it a good idea to be racing with a herniated disc in your neck? If you can push through the pain that's great; but, if something were to happen out there, wouldn't you be at risk of further and more serious injury to your neck than you normally would? Is there any remedy to fix the disc so you can avoid this headache of looking for a custom seat?

This is a loaded question that cannot really be answered without writing a 2-page response, so I will be brief. There is no way to "fix" the disc since disc material is cartilage and once ruptured it does not heal and cannot be restored. I already had 2 minimally invasive spine surgeries to remove disc material that's pressing on a nerve. There is another procedure called cervical fusion where they A.) Cut your throat. B.) Shove everything out of the way to get to your spine. C.) Remove your existing disc by scraping it out D.) Insert a piece of someone else's spine in the whole E.) Install a titanium plate with screws attached to the vertebrae above and below. Eventually the piece of someone else's spine fuses with your vertebrae (hence "fusion") and you go on with your life. I cant put my finger on it, but something about the whole thing just puts me off, so I did not go for it (although I always can). I generally dont have pain, but I do have an ache sometimes when I ride shotgun with someone who has 20 years of racing experience and they dont have a halo seat :)

Racing (or driving on a track in general) is not a good idea if your objective is to live long and not get injured. Same goes for scuba diving (which I also do) and a few other things. Did you know that having a stressful job (I got one) is dangerous because stress kills you? And yes, I am absolutely more at risk of a more serious injury than a person without a herniated disc. This is why I try to do everything to minimize my chances of getting hurt. Also, I am not actually racing. I am simply learning how to drive fast in a non-competitive environment. It's a hobby and I do this purely for fun and nothing else. Who knows what will happen in an accident if I were to have one? Could be good (walking away), could be bad (being taken away). Statistics indicate that I will have one at some point. It takes as little as someone spilling oil on the line before a corner. But based on my research, a good containment seat minimizes a risk of injury significantly, so it's well worth the money and I will try to get it.

Pappy
04-22-2016, 03:55 PM
These might work. I have Sparco Circuit seats in my track Focus. I am 5'10", 170 lbs, but I have had bigger folks in the right seat (200# or so). After measuring the seats in my ACR, I then measured the Sparco. The widest point (the pointed part of the shoulder support) is just under 22 in. That would put it about touching the upper door panel bolster at a point about where the "air bag" tag is on the door. It looks like it would be easy to remove an inch or so from the seat structure at that point (if necessary) and re-stitch the seat cover. I will have to put the seat in the car to see how far back it can go and not have halo-to-roof clearance issues. I'm not sure how the side airbag will function with a full containment seat.

Pappy

v10viperbox
04-22-2016, 04:28 PM
EK1 I am not allowed to offer medical advice especially online but spinal surgeries have moved along quite a bit especially with BMP7 bone fusion. Going through it myself as I have had more then my fair share of broken bones. Might want to talk with the doctor again if its been a while.

FYI If I can get a kirkey race seat with a halo to fit inside a 65 Shelby Cobra spec racer you can get one inside a Viper with some massaging. They will fit people of larger sizes like well me at 200lb's and a 48 inch suit upper, it gets tight around the shoulders through. They might sell the halo portion as a removable option still which would let you play with the demensions and weld it in place in a way that works for you. Its not like the cockpit of the viper is dead straight anyway.

Vprbite
04-22-2016, 07:46 PM
PAVenomRT/10

Ya know, in high school I used to wear what was called a "cowboy collar". I think I wore it when I first bumped up to varsity cause when you first move up those older kids knock you around like a rag doll. That was not just a neck roll like you think of NFL players in the 70s as wearing. This went under your pads and came all the way around your neck...well like a cowboy who put his collar up against the wind. But it REALLY helped with what we called "stingers" from getting your neck bent way too hard. Do a google search and image search for McDavid Cowboy Collar. Perhaps that could work with your HANS device? It's a thought.

I hope that helps. If not, good luck. Do what you gotta do to keep your neck safe. I get it though about racing even though you have X, Y, or Z. You are talking to a guy who regularly pushes through pain because I promised myself I would get every piece of my life back after my wreck and subsequent amputation and surgeries. Occasionally it ends up with one of my doctors furious at me, right before they tell me they are proud of me and then ask me to go talk to someone who thinks their life is over because they just lost a limb. So you know the risks and the rewards. Have fun. Do what you gotta do, brother. Sorry I can't help with the seat.

ek1
04-28-2016, 09:38 PM
I spoke to an instructor at a track event earlier this week and he told me that Sparco Ergo seats actually have removable halo pieces. I checked out the web site and sure enough: http://www.sparcousa.com/product/ergo.

Not saying these seats will fit in the Viper, but removable halo pieces will sure make street driveability much better.

Arizona Vipers
04-28-2016, 11:34 PM
So is the consensus on this that there are still no good options for a halo seat without removing/modifying the door panels?

AZTVR
04-29-2016, 10:32 AM
I'd guess that there were no door panels in this ACR.

Pappy
04-29-2016, 11:47 AM
So is the consensus on this that there are still no good options for a halo seat without removing/modifying the door panels?

I'll try to fit one of my Sparco Circuits in the Viper. I think it will fit with a proper adapter bracket to the floorboard mounting points. If any trimming is required, I think it can be done on the outboard end of the shoulder support of the seat, which shouldn't affect shoulder support or compromise the seat. The halo is pretty large, so that may keep the seat from going all the way back - but maybe not. I'll let you know.

Pappy

Arizona Vipers
04-29-2016, 03:10 PM
I'll try to fit one of my Sparco Circuits in the Viper. I think it will fit with a proper adapter bracket to the floorboard mounting points. If any trimming is required, I think it can be done on the outboard end of the shoulder support of the seat, which shouldn't affect shoulder support or compromise the seat. The halo is pretty large, so that may keep the seat from going all the way back - but maybe not. I'll let you know.

Pappy

Cool if it works I'll come check it out along with your other projects! I'm bigger than you so will need a wider seat, but my legs are shorter so wont need to go as far back.

fuggles
04-29-2016, 03:51 PM
An earlier post mentioned that instead of modifying the door they modified the seat by cutting the left side wing and reupholstered it. Interesting idea. Better than modifying the door panel.

IDM
08-10-2016, 07:01 PM
If anyone is selling/swapping gen V seats please let me know I'd buy them thank you

eckeph
01-05-2020, 05:15 PM

I love mine.

Old thread, but I'm currently looking for good track day seats to my ACR. I have still not found any seats that will fit apart from Tillet. Regarding Racetech and the seats they used at the ring (which didn't need modifying the door panel according to the movies found on Youtube), those are not possible to manufacture today since the moulds was destroyed when the factory burned down. This according to my brother who sells safety equipment for racing and has been in touch with Racetech.

LATAMUD
01-05-2020, 09:47 PM
Old thread, but I'm currently looking for good track day seats to my ACR. I have still not found any seats that will fit apart from Tillet. Regarding Racetech and the seats they used at the ring (which didn't need modifying the door panel according to the movies found on Youtube), those are not possible to manufacture today since the moulds was destroyed when the factory burned down. This according to my brother who sells safety equipment for racing and has been in touch with Racetech.

If you removed the door panel would a regular Racetech fit?
Racetech on ebay link (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Viper-RaceTech-Competition-Seat-w-Viper-Snake-Logo/192076731044?fits=Model%3AViper&hash=item2cb8aa52a4:g:kEoAAOSwUKxYd6gw)

eckeph
01-06-2020, 04:13 AM
If you removed the door panel would a regular Racetech fit?
Racetech on ebay link (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Viper-RaceTech-Competition-Seat-w-Viper-Snake-Logo/192076731044?fits=Model%3AViper&hash=item2cb8aa52a4:g:kEoAAOSwUKxYd6gw)

Yes, I think so. But I rather not modify the interior if I don't have to.

Talked to my brother today. We are going to remove the seat and then try with his RaceTech seat. Will be interesting to see if it's possible to only modify the shoulder part of the seat.

13COBRA
01-06-2020, 11:50 AM
+1 for TKOs customer support, advice and help. They've been nothing but awesome. A huge help to the Viper community.

eckeph
01-14-2020, 03:42 PM
I started another thread about this in GenV forum but since I posted here first I thought I give you an update.

I found seats that I think will fit without having to modify the door panel. According to my measurements The seat has to be mounted 20mm to the right, towards the transmission tunnel to clear the door panel. I will have to make a custom seat carriage but that's needed anyway since the stock rear mounting points for the seat needs to be strengthened.

The seat in question is OMP Prototipo-R. I will order one and see if it fits. I will keep you posted!

https://www.ompracing.com/en_gb/prototipo-44812.html

kriskyk
01-14-2020, 11:31 PM
We have had a proper race seat with head containment available for 3 years now. Built specifically to fit the viper; Easy to get in and out of car; Works with all factory interior panels, You can add padding where you need it for custom fit if you like; Works with Hans devices. Completely adjustable. 2392.00 everything you need to install, includes harnesses. Same seat we are running in both our Viper GT3R street/racecars 4142441425

Interesting, looks likes a aluminum fabricated seat? Any concerns with seat deformation in subsequent impact scenarios?

Also do you have any solutions for double sheer or more beefier top shoulder strap mounts? Preferably something where top strap angle / height can be adjusted?

catwood
01-15-2020, 10:24 AM
We have had a proper race seat with head containment available for 3 years now. Built specifically to fit the viper; Easy to get in and out of car; Works with all factory interior panels, You can add padding where you need it for custom fit if you like; Works with Hans devices. Completely adjustable. 2392.00 everything you need to install, includes harnesses. Same seat we are running in both our Viper GT3R street/racecars

Does this seat require a rear back mount?

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
04-09-2020, 11:21 AM
tkomotorsports.com

TKOSROD1285K
5TH GEN VIPER RACING SEAT WITH DRIVER HEAD CONTAINMENT 3492.00 4-6 week delivery as of 4/2/20
Our aluminum racing seats are built specifically to fit the Dodge Viper. These seats offer maximum driver protection and comfort while also lowering the driver seated position by 3 inches. Our racing seats are known for being extremely comfortable while still appealing to the serious track day Viper drivers. FITS FACTORY INTERIOR.

Pappy
04-09-2020, 03:42 PM
Weight?

Pappy

sharmut
04-09-2020, 04:14 PM
Weight?

Pappy

Their website indicate 20 lbs. lighter than factory seat. If I recall correctly, the manual factory seat weight ~50lbs.

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
04-09-2020, 05:18 PM
apporx 20 lbs with extra padding, cover and EIS foam

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
04-09-2020, 05:24 PM
Its a little more then 20 pound lighter then factory seat Sharmut our numbers might be a little skewed because of factory electric seat VS manual seat. Our seat is apporx 20lbs with extra padding , cover and EIS foam installed

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
04-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Does this seat require a rear back mount?

Our seat does not require or use back mounts. We dont use back mounting seats for safety reasons and most sanctioning bodies have outlawed back mounting seats. Big problem with the back mounted seat is the mount would brake drivers backs is heavy impacts. Most of us stopped using back mounts about 20 years ago. We have done impact absorbing back seat mounts for more exotic purpose built applications.

catwood
04-09-2020, 11:10 PM
Our seat does not require or use back mounts. We dont use back mounting seats for safety reasons and most sanctioning bodies have outlawed back mounting seats. Big problem with the back mounted seat is the mount would brake drivers backs is heavy impacts. Most of us stopped using back mounts about 20 years ago. We have done impact absorbing back seat mounts for more exotic purpose built applications.

NASA has requirements on some of the seats. I need to look up the requirement. I'd need to mount a seat on slides. The have a requirement to get out with the door shut. Twiggy couldn't get out of mine. I'm thinking out the passenger window but not a way in hell I can get out of the driver window.

13COBRA
04-10-2020, 07:34 AM
NASA has requirements on some of the seats. I need to look up the requirement. I'd need to mount a seat on slides. The have a requirement to get out with the door shut. Twiggy couldn't get out of mine. I'm thinking out the passenger window but not a way in hell I can get out of the driver window.

Detachable steering wheel already?

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
04-10-2020, 10:10 AM

NASA has always been a little backwards and 15 years behind in their thinking as far as rules go. Quick disconnect wheel like 13cobra mentioned , and fire system on board and external internal master switch no matter what class you run.

Pappy
04-10-2020, 01:18 PM
NASA has always been a little backwards and 15 years behind in their thinking as far as rules go. Quick disconnect wheel like 13cobra mentioned , and fire system on board and external internal master switch no matter what class you run.

Here is what the NASA rule book says.

15.6.21 Seat Back Support
A seatback support must be made to hold the seatback from failing in the event of a crash. A plate shall be used to distribute the load. No bolts, corners, or sharp objects should be placed in such a manner that could lead to a possible puncture of the driver in a high impact crash. Seat back support need not be attached to the seat itself. Proper design and installation is crucial to safety and it is recommended that the driver employ the services of a professional race car builder for this, as well as all other vehicle safety items. An exception may be made for those seats homologated to, and mounted in accordance with, FIA 8855-1999 or 8862-2009 standards. Those seats that qualify for the aforementioned exception must conform to the entire FIA 8855-1999 or 8862-2009 set of regulations, as applicable. This includes a mandatory seat replacement, or use of a seat back brace, for any seat more than five (5) years old (8855-1999) or more than ten (10) years old (8862-2009). Please reference the FIA regulations.

Basically if the seat is homologated to FIA standards and it is less than 5 (or 10 for some seats) years old, then no seat back support is required. All others require a seat back support to keep the seat from going back in a crash, but it does not have to be attached to the seat in any way. My occasional-use passenger seat in a NASA Spec Focus was more than 5 years old so I built a removable seat back brace that bolted to the cage seat bar and had a plate that rested against the back of the seat. Passed NASA tech.

catwood
04-10-2020, 01:37 PM

yes, It's an ACRx and it was built with removable wheel. I'm not sure the seat back mount helps in a viper much anyway. This car has one and there is only a couple inches between the seat and the rear wall behind the seat. My last track car, non viper, had a rear mount but it was adjustable with a safety pin through the tube mount as the seat was on slides. It allowed different drivers easily.

I would like to set this one up like that eventually and also mount a fixed passenger seat that weights nothing.

HUBBELL RACING
05-07-2020, 10:12 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just placed a deposit for a 2016 ACR. 95% of the use will be track days and driving to/from the track. I have been doing HPDE for the past 3 years and renting race cars for track sessions. Last season I started driving at speeds where g-forces were starting to cause a lot of neck strain (and pain). I have a carbon fiber helmet and it helps somewhat, but I have a herniated disc in my neck and with ACR having much more grip and much higher cornering speeds than cars I was driving previously, I was hoping to put in a halo seat, which would allow me to rest the helmet against the lateral support, thus avoiding neck strain. I spoke to Mark Jorgensen @ Woodhouse yesterday and he told me that most racing seats would not fit, and having a slider is out of the question due to limited height. There are a few other limitations. One is that I dont really want to start cutting interior pieces to make a racing seat fit. Another one is that whatever seat I get needs to be compatible with a HANS device.

At this point I am sh1tting bricks because without the halo seat every track session in the ACR will result in a lot of pain and misery in the following week. I am really doing this for fun and enjoyment, so the less pain I endure the better.

I found 2 other posts about racing seats here, but they refer to Gen 4 and/or VCC setups and I have no idea how similar/different cockpits are between Gen 4 and 5 (let alone VCC). Those posts mention Race Tech seats, so I looked a their web site. I am 5'11" and 35 waist, so unfortunately I am right in the center of their sizing chart (meaning its not clear if I need their Standard, Tall or Wide & Tall option. And of course their nearest dealer is 358 miles away from me.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Eugene

You got to talk to your Dr 1st. I race a Corvette Daytona Prototype w 2000# downforce so I know about Gs. Since you have issue w lateral Gs if your Dr says ok do a little training. Lie on a bench sideways & drop your head & pick up only w neck several reps w no weight. As you get stronger add reps, sets, & lastly weight. Modern LMP3 & DPi race cars have a pad for your helmet to lay against but that’s not feasible on a road car

ACR Steve
05-08-2020, 08:28 AM
Love this seat well done TKO this is the first real RACE seat designed for Viper. There are a couple of other seats out there that are great but this is a true race seat . Halo and Hans is a must while racing there is no argument to be made.