PDA

View Full Version : Are my tires to old to be safe?

viper04blk
01-13-2016, 09:15 PM
I checked the date codes on my Michelin pilot sport tires.

Front : 1307 (13th week, 2007)

Rear: 4105 (41st week, 2005)

My rears are due to be replaced.... they are at the wear-bars. So i am replacing my rear regardless. But, my fronts are like brand new. They have more tread they any of my 4 vehicles.

Is 2007 to old for a tire??? should I replace it just to be safe?

Thanks

01sapphirebob
01-13-2016, 09:21 PM
REPLACE THEM! :)

Anything over 5 years old should be replaced. It's not a matter of how much tread, but the age of the tire.

viper04blk
01-13-2016, 09:36 PM
thats what i figured.

thanks

viper04blk
01-13-2016, 10:08 PM
I am going to get the Pzero with VOA deal.... itll be $2500 for a set of 4 tires by the time it gets onto my car. Locally it would be $3057...so at least there is a bit of savings.

You Americans have no idea how cheap everything is in the USA.

darbgnik
01-13-2016, 11:36 PM
It shouldn't cost that much. Shipping is free, and there's no duties due to NAFTA.

Hell, I don't even remember paying the GST when my pallet of Corsas showed up. I know for sure I didn't when they sent me one extra separately.......

Should be less that $2G CDN for $1250USD PZeros.

BTW, if the tires you are replacing are the original style Pilot Sport ZP, as opposed to PS2's, you will sure notice a ride improvement. Getting rid of the factory runflats is the equivalent of strapping in a fully functional suspension!

Vprbite
01-14-2016, 02:15 AM
Those tires you went past safe quite some time ago. Sorry, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, just the truth. The run flats especially get super hard, really fast. As we all know, there are only a few situations when we want our equipment to get really hard really fast, and tires ain't one of them.

You will find that most people in the Viper community replace their tires due to age, not wear. For example, my PSS tires are fine in terms of wear, but they will be turning 4 this year. So at the 4 year mark, I would have replaced them anyway. Though, since I plan on tracking at NVE, I will be getting Pirellis before that. Even if I weren't tracking at NVE, I may have gotten new tires anyway to 1, take advantage of the deal and 2, not a bad idea before driving across the country anyway.

Hey and also, you will be a VOA member now (since the tire deal is only available to members) and lots of cool stuff comes along with being a member. Other sponsors do discounts, for example. Plus they send us cool stuff in the mail. Magazine alone is worth it, IMO.

Enjoy your new tires. Seriously it's like a totally different car with good rubber. Night and day. As darbgnik said, it's like putting on suspension. Cause right now you got hockey pucks, eh.

ViperGTS
01-14-2016, 03:09 AM
Mixed tires is a bad idea. Sticky new rears and old hard fronts call for a disaster.
:t0152:

viper04blk
01-14-2016, 07:32 AM
I agree, i am quite excited to drive the car with traction. I have never driven my car and used more then 300 of the horse power due to lack of traction. I also bought the car at the end of summer... and never used it on a hot day yet.

darbgnik, I wish it was that cheap. 1250+115 (voa membership) ------>exchange rate = 2k. mount/balance/alignment = 500 bucks. So 2500 bucks. Still cheaper then in edmonton though

Does viper need front and rear alignment? or just front alignment?

AZTVR
01-14-2016, 11:23 AM
Does viper need front and rear alignment? or just front alignment?

Front and rear.

viper04blk
01-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Thanks.

I called around locally and found super sports for all 4 tires for cheaper then the pirrelli deal. So I think I am going to go with the super sports.

darbgnik
01-14-2016, 01:43 PM
You'll like the Super Sports. Had them on my Gallardo. Quiet tire, for a performance tire anyways, and they wear pretty good. So how much was the cost of the Super Sports in Edmonton, and from where?

On a related topic, I wouldn't include the price of an alignment with figuring out tire costs. Sure, it might not be a bad idea while you're there, as the car is new to you. But I don't get an alignment at every tire change.

BTW, I amortized the VOA membership cost over a pallet full of Corsas, so I didn't consider that part of the cost. I go through three sets of fronts to every one set of rears at Castrol.

ViperGTS
01-14-2016, 02:03 PM
Does viper need front and rear alignment? or just front alignment?[/QUOTE]

I almost spilled my beer...:stickmen_burningsti

viper04blk
01-14-2016, 02:38 PM
You'll like the Super Sports. Had them on my Gallardo. Quiet tire, for a performance tire anyways, and they wear pretty good. So how much was the cost of the Super Sports in Edmonton, and from where?

On a related topic, I wouldn't include the price of an alignment with figuring out tire costs. Sure, it might not be a bad idea while you're there, as the car is new to you. But I don't get an alignment at every tire change.

BTW, I amortized the VOA membership cost over a pallet full of Corsas, so I didn't consider that part of the cost. I go through three sets of fronts to every one set of rears at Castrol.

In Edmonton, i called kaltire and told them "i am shopping for new tires for my viper. I can either get the super sports or pzeros, you gotta beat the pzero price of 2k for rubber from the VOA deal at a minimum. Either tire will meet my needs". Salesman said, $1999.99 ALL IN for rubber and installation. DEAL

I would love to take my car to castrol. Maybe this summer I will.

Bill Pemberton
01-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Not a bad idea to get an alignment since the car is new to you , especially if the place your are getting your tires is well versed in doing performance vehicles.

ViperGTS
01-14-2016, 04:24 PM
Happy New Year Wilhelm!

He has no idea about cars. Honestly. Not even talking about a Viper.
10 years old rubber is like having sex with a hooker and no condom!
:-)

P.S.: A few square inches of (fresh) rubber may safe his life! ;-)

viper04blk
01-14-2016, 06:10 PM
hahahaha

Dajerseyviper
01-14-2016, 10:20 PM
After spinning 3 times like a top into a grass median, I can say REPLACE THEM!!! ASAP.. Hard, old, dry rubber is bad for the viper.

TA Two Oh
01-15-2016, 09:55 AM
I would love to take my car to castrol. Maybe this summer I will.

PM me if you'd to run the Castrol road course this year. No prior track experience needed.