PDA

View Full Version : Control Arm Bushings - Rubber? Poly? Spherical??

Blue96GTS
01-13-2016, 07:47 PM
My searches haven't turned up anything interesting on this subject since 2013. My recent need to remove some control arms has me musing on the subject, so here goes:

What replacement bushings to use for upper/lower control arms? Gen II car.

Rubber?

Polyurethane?

Spherical?

Those of you with poly bushings - how long have you had them and any squeaking problems?? Any feedback on the 2 "brands" of poly kits which seem to be available for our applications??

How much NVH are spherical bushings going to add? Is this a "track only" option? Approximate cost??

I like the thought of increased performance for the occasional track days, but I'd also like to have all of my teeth after driving to/from NVE2! I don't need any more squeaks than I already hear, and don't particularly care to visit this area of my car in the near future - I've spent too much time here already...

I'm attempting to familiarize myself with "Special Tools 6969-[1-5]", but any removal/installation tips/tricks you encountered would be welcome.

Thanks for your feedback.
Mike

Blue96GTS
01-19-2016, 08:21 PM
OK, perhaps someone can answer me this question:

Going with replacement rubber bushings on the front LCA. Car is a 96. Showing Dodge part # 04848050, Moog cross reference K7416. Problem is that this part is listed for 97 and up in some listings. Can anyone confirm the part number needed for front LCA bushings on my 96?? Is there a difference here for this one year of Gen II??

Thanks

fuggles
01-20-2016, 02:59 PM
I don't have viper experience with replacement bushings. I did replace a few bushings on my BMW with poly. Poly bushings are sooo much easier to deal with. Installation is a breeze compared to rubber. The BMW has a stiff aftermarket suspension so I did not notice any extra stiffness nor did I have any squeaks. It's not apples to apples. Just one guys experience.

XSnake
01-20-2016, 03:12 PM
I have replaced all the bushings on my car. All of the Gen 2 bushing should be the same from 96-02. The Gen 1's would be different. You won't want to run sphericals on a street car.

LATAMUD
01-21-2016, 12:19 AM
I have spherical on a different car that I street drive. Turning the steering wheel is easier, no more bump steer. Car drives like a truck now, solid and stiff.

I've been planning to redo all the bushings on my car eventually. I'm looking at making my own out of delrin.

Blue96GTS
01-26-2016, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the input!

For the time, I only replaced the lower bushings. I went with the rubber replacements, as I wasn't doing the uppers. Yes, I know, this devoids my goal of not being back in here anytime soon... Lowers were in pretty bad shape, but the uppers still look/feel OK. I'm assuming they don't get abused as much.

So, hoping that more solutions will come out - at least a greasable poly bushing?? Still curious as to hear if anyone has squeaking problems with their poly bushings...