PDA

View Full Version : Dump truck shifter

Mr White
01-12-2016, 12:15 PM
I have an 04, and the vibe I am getting is that this is par for the course.

Shifting gears is rather unpleasant. I would liken it to shoving a mop handle in a bucket full of nuts and bolts and then trying to shift gears with it. Finding gears makes it really bad, but the resistance and lack of feel adds to the "argh". Is there anything that can be done with my OEM transmission?

I've seen the tr6060 get mentioned a few times, but then I saw another thread mention that the flywheel is used for a crank position sensor. I presumed this topic was beat to death, but I haven't found much. Maybe I am choosing the wrong words to search by.

XSnake
01-12-2016, 12:16 PM
How many miles on your car? I would bet you need motor and trans. mounts

Mr White
01-12-2016, 12:32 PM
19k, and new mounts are on the list for the spring along with a laundry list of other items.

Steve-Indy
01-12-2016, 02:04 PM
You can also upgrade your T 56...make it smooth, more durable. A successful business near Indy does this regularly...noting several of our Viper posse use their services. Name: RPM Transmissions...Anderson, IN.

swexlin
01-12-2016, 02:23 PM
I had a 2003, and my shifting was actually pretty smooth. What you are describing doesn't sound normal. What XSnake said, motor mounts come to mind.

Steve-Indy
01-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Have you changed tranny fluid? If so, what's in it now? If not, was it ever changed?

Vprbite
01-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Steve-Indy beat me to it but fluids. Clutch and trans. If you don't know when they were changed last then it's been too long.

Mopar'er no car
01-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Steve-Indy beat me to it but fluids. Clutch and trans. If you don't know when they were changed last then it's been too long.

This^^^^^^^ Get that old clutch fluid out, bleed it and we will go from there...

viper04blk
01-12-2016, 06:23 PM
I got my 03, and shifting was horrible.... i did the following and now it is like butter...

replaced the rubber shoft boot and the leather shift boot. my leather shift boot was dried out due to the rubber boot having a big hole. The dried out leather made it hard and tight.

Replace motor mounts with woodhouse mounts. This is an awesome upgrade for shifting, HUGE difference. I never did do the tranny mount...

Replace tranny fluid - the effects were not noticeable.... mechanic said my fluid looked brand new, so I cant applaud this.

Mr White
01-12-2016, 06:34 PM
I'll check the documents when I get home, I am going to assume "never"... but maybe I will be surprised.

The first thought I had in my mind was the fluid, but the only time I've really seen a difference was in a motorcycle (shared the same oil). The only thing that made it seem plausible is if someone put some really wonked out goop in there. At this point, short of adding unicorn blood, I'm happy to entertain any suggestion.

I'll take any blame for ignoring the clutch fluid last year, so if that cures things I'll let folks know so I can take my beating like a man.

pony23
01-12-2016, 07:49 PM
I used to hate the way my 03 shifted too. Swapped out to the ACR handle and changed the rear gears to 3:55's. I almost never hit the skip shift now. That thing used to piss me off. Love it now!!!! Works really smooth. Doesn't even feel like the same car.

Mopar'er no car
01-12-2016, 08:44 PM
I'll check the documents when I get home, I am going to assume "never"... but maybe I will be surprised.

The first thought I had in my mind was the fluid, but the only time I've really seen a difference was in a motorcycle (shared the same oil). The only thing that made it seem plausible is if someone put some really wonked out goop in there. At this point, short of adding unicorn blood, I'm happy to entertain any suggestion.

I'll take any blame for ignoring the clutch fluid last year, so if that cures things I'll let folks know so I can take my beating like a man.

It's just the first place to start and Should be done to remove clutch contamination and moisture from the hydraulics. More often the harder the car is driven/tracked and prob not a bad idea once a year for all cars. Not trying to sound like a pro just my .02$

SlateEd
01-12-2016, 09:19 PM
I would check all the fluids for sure, good advice thrown out so far.

With my genIII I hated most how vague the shifter felt... centering action was molasses at best. I changed the shifter to a B&M but kept the stock long stick. Shorter throws, still up close to the steering wheel, great centering action, clean gate, huge improvement.

Mopar'er no car
01-12-2016, 10:32 PM
I must be spoiled with this MGW shifter, it was on my 06 when I got it..has been smooth as glass and a pleasure to shift. I'm not even sure if it's just a knob or whole shifter??

I'm a huge beast so the handle being short was not a problem and actually works as a rest for me to control the radio until I get the exhsust on...Well she's away for winter now. ..

Mopar'er no car
01-12-2016, 10:43 PM
My STOCK handle was left in the glove box, I could see somebody throwing it in there either way if they had replaced the shifter and handle. I can't necessarily say that they would throw the stock shifter back in there, probably wouldn't even fit in the glove box LoL.

Mr White
01-13-2016, 10:07 AM
I would check all the fluids for sure, good advice thrown out so far.

With my genIII I hated most how vague the shifter felt... centering action was molasses at best. I changed the shifter to a B&M but kept the stock long stick. Shorter throws, still up close to the steering wheel, great centering action, clean gate, huge improvement.

That is exactly what I hope for.

If replacing the shifter makes that big of a difference, is it possible that the grease in the joint just absolutely cooked from the heat?

LifeIsGood
01-13-2016, 12:45 PM
If a new shifter is in your future...

IPSCO short throw shifter review (http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/8731-IPSCO-short-throw-shiftter-review)