PDA

View Full Version : Power steering

Josrocket
01-11-2016, 04:35 PM
I will be regularly tracking my gen 2. i am not quite sure what power steering fluid to use or if oem is fine. Jonb told me to turkey baste the fluid out every so often to keep it fresh but i just need to know what kind. Not sure whats in it now.

AZTVR
01-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Recommended fluid is Mopar P/S fluid part# 4883077 or a fluid made to meet Chrysler spec MS 5931 (Valvoline was the only one on the parts store shelf nearby that referenced the actual MS 5931 number.) It should not be mixed with red ATF-4 fluid which could have been put in before, mistakenly.

Steve-Indy
01-11-2016, 07:09 PM
For many, many years...Gen I and II Vipers used Redline Power Steering Fluid in Viper Days events quite successfully. This fluid is red.

Josrocket
01-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Is it safe to mix

Steve-Indy
01-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Don't mix fluids. I use a midrise lift to get front wheels in air. Then, I always flushed a quart plus using a turkey baster (or Vaccula) manner as described well by Janni Cone in the VCA forums several years ago. Basically, with engine off, suction fluid from power steering reservoir, then refill with fresh p/s fluid. Start car and cycle steering to left-right-left 4 times (do not hold in full lock). Stop engine, remove p/s fluid from reservoir...refill with fresh fluid, start engine and cycle as above. I generally remove fluid, fill, cycle steering for a third time...THEN, remove fluid one last time, refill with fresh fluid an you should be good to go...having removed at least 95% of the original fluid by this dilution method. Others may have additional ideas or modification of this technique.

This method bypasses removing the p/s return hose from the reservoir...a process that has ended up with a cracked reservoir by more than one person.

Link to Janni's post:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/533502-How-do-I-flush-the-power-steering-pump?highlight=turkey+baster

Josrocket
01-12-2016, 12:26 PM
And if I use this method it really doesnt matter what's in it now? Thats why I asked if its ok to mix. I dont know what's in it.

Steve-Indy
01-12-2016, 01:38 PM
That's exactly why you remove it !!

Josrocket
01-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Thanks, I will go get some redline. :)