PDA

View Full Version : 2001 acr 5 point seatbelt question

Gcxb
01-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Hey guys we picked up a nice 2001 acr, and it is missing the center belt of the 5 points the one with the latch so my question is who made them originally and how do I get a new set?
Thanks

Steve-Indy
01-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Call JonB at PartsRack 360-837-3937

AZTVR
01-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Jon will have the answers you need. You also will probably discuss whether the belts that you have are the ones that were recalled or the replaced ones. I do not know exactly where in production that the recall occurred or at what build date, "good" belts appeared in the delivered ACRs. I have read posts on the other viper club website that discuss the recall. Jon is the one providing most of the factual input.

The other thing to consider, if you are going to use them, is whether they may have aged enough that the webbing is suspect. They definitely are date-code expired as far as sanctioned racing goes (like SCCA and others). Some would debate whether they are good or bad if they were never exposed to UV or ozone. Obviously, most people don't really think about replacing their old 3 point belts; but, if you are wearing a 5-point harness, you are probably thinking about your safety more than most people.

Gcxb
01-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Ok thanks guys I don't have any plan on using them, I just want them with the car because it's part of what makes the acr the acr.

AZTVR
01-11-2016, 04:07 PM
I assume that you checked way back under both seats and behind the seats, including the seat back pockets, and maybe underneath the spare tire.

Gcxb
01-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Yep I dug around and there definitely not stashed in the car.

Bill Pemberton
01-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Original belts were Momos, but the thing that may be of benefit is if they are still original. Would be worth seeing if they were replaced ,as safety recalls seem to go on forever!

Gcxb
01-11-2016, 10:26 PM
Thanks I will look in to that.

FrankBarba
01-12-2016, 07:05 AM
If to keep no problem. if your going to use them you will need new ones. Maybe you can send these back in
to be Updated with a newer Use by Date, or buy new ones.

Camfab
01-12-2016, 04:22 PM
The recalled replacements are not Momo's. I have both sets and the replacements have really low end hardware ( latches, etc.).

Bill Pemberton
01-12-2016, 04:53 PM
They are Momo belts and the company was involved in a Worldwide recall that caused a major financial loss. Recall was begun by FIA and it involved a lot of other vehicles or harness systems. They may not say Momo on the belts, as they were manufactured for Chrysler, but that was who was involved. As noted check and see if they were replaced as you may still be eligible for a replacement?

Camfab
01-12-2016, 10:27 PM
Bill I think your misunderstanding my post. Yes the original belts were(are) Momo's, however the replacement set is not. I have the replacements in the factory packaging, and they are a USA manufacturer, I can dig them up and photograph the original Momo's vs. the replacements. No comparison, the recalled belts and hardware in particular is beautiful.

Bill Pemberton
01-13-2016, 08:28 AM
Be interesting to list the US Company , as rumor was they were the same company that distributed the Momo belts in the US. What is listed on the second set and yes I misread what I thought you were stating.

Camfab
01-13-2016, 10:43 AM
I'll dig out the belts this weekend and take some detail pics

Bill Pemberton
01-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Great , that will help guys/gals verify if they had the update . Still think if the old system is in the car , it is an open recall.

Camfab
01-18-2016, 01:52 AM

Ok so these are the recall replacements I was talking about. These are clearly NOT the Momo belts and the hardware is super crude in quality. I'm sorry I didn't have time to get shots of my OEM belts this weekend but I will post them in the next couple of days. I had a really difficult time getting these pictures uploaded for some reason.

Camfab
01-18-2016, 02:05 AM
I looked up Breed Technology and it appears they are now Key Safety Systems. They have a high end luxury division, however I can assure you that there is nothing high end on the belt set above. The Momo belts have a beautifully machined and anodized quick release and look nicer overall. The only part that looks the same (although I haven't checked for sure) is the ACR patch that is sewn into the belts.

Gcxb
01-18-2016, 07:15 AM
Ok I have verified that the car has the up date, thanks so much guys for the help and the pictures now I just need to find the center belt with quick release.

Bill Pemberton
01-18-2016, 08:11 AM
Breed Technologies bought Momo in 1995

Camfab
01-18-2016, 04:02 PM
They must have sourced the recall hardware from the bargain bin, just to minimize their losses.