PDA

View Full Version : HANS vs no HANS video

AZTVR
01-10-2016, 03:07 PM
I think about the HANS and other restraint devices from time to time.
I think that I am conservative, not fast (not tracking a Viper), and not driving even 8/10ths.

However, the following video sure does give a good visual of why one should wear one, especially if you have a 5/6 point harness.
I guess that the OE airbag would help prevent a lot of the head movement shown. At least that has been what I have counted on.

Driver has no HANS, Navigator has HANS

Let's be safe out there with those new Extreme ACRs !

http://youtu.be/g40YatgE_CE

steve911
01-10-2016, 03:46 PM
I bought one 3 years ago. I havent needed to test it out, but I'm glad I have it none the less.

That video and others like it should be mandatory viewing by anyone who tracks their car. Novice or Expert.

Vprbite
01-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Wow. Very clear representation of what happens in a wreck here. I think people forget that seat belts are supposed to "give" a certain amount to increase the amount of time it takes yoir body (and head and neck) to decelerate. I've known of people with the Gen IV ACR who wore their 5 point harness all the time on the street because they thought it was safer (they felt more securely held in) and I told them that without any kind of neck protection, all that momentum will get directed and concentrated to your neck and that on the street, your regular belts are better. This is a perfect example of that and this person in the video is lucky they are not driving a wheelchair with their teeth right now.

I had thought that the "neck-roll" offered protection too but isn't there evidence now to show that those are not particularly effective?

1ststrike
01-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Can't believe the difference. I have one and use it. This just confirms why every one should. Cheap investment compared to your life.

thetalonguy
01-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Wow...That's crazy; didn't even seem to be that much of an impact. Sooooo...What kind of HANS are you using? (links appreciated) I'm pretty sure my helmet is HANS compatible. Was thinking about doing harnesses and HANS at the same time before next season.

Rapidrezults
01-10-2016, 09:25 PM
Nice post. I have one and sometimes neglect to use it out of inconvience. After seeing this, I don't think i'll ever leave it aside again!

AZTVR
01-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Definitely, folks that want this type of device need to research the several manufacturers' models that are available. People like different ones based on their experience and what configuration of seat, and harnesses they have, plus ease of putting it on and taking it off.

Vprbite
01-10-2016, 10:07 PM
Anyone using the ones that hook up to a frame/rig on your body? And can you use those ones without a 5pt? So as to stop any snapping action but still allow the 3pt and airbag to do its job? I had always thought that a neck roll was good for weekend racers but once you went 5pt then it's time for you to go HANS also. Does the neck roll even do anything?

bluesrt
01-11-2016, 08:20 AM
bigtime must have

catwood
01-11-2016, 11:50 AM
Since about 2005 had a HANS.

steve911
01-11-2016, 03:03 PM
With almost 40 years on an Ambulance, I can categorically state do not rely on the Airbag to protect you. I have seen too many collisions with another vehicle or a fixed object that did NOT involve airbag deployment even though the mechanics of the crash would make you think so.

If you are using a harness get a Hans (or similar device). Don't rely on the airbag.

Drumrboy
01-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Absolutely a must for the track. The guy on the left is doubly compromised....no hans and a helmet (which make one's head even heavier than normal).

Russ Oasis
01-13-2016, 08:37 PM
This is a crazy discussion. If you're in a race car or on a track, you should be wearing a HANS device. There is no other "if, and or but" about it.

TrackAire
01-13-2016, 08:53 PM
People think the HAN's is only for front impact as the video shows.....it also limits how far your head can snap side to side in case you slide sideways into a hard object or get T-boned on the track. The recent death at Buttonwillow got me thinking so I also started on a regimen of neck strengthening exercises. The older we get, the weaker our necks get if not exercised and conditioned.....A lightweight helmet is also a big plus.

The most dangerous set up is a full harness with no HAN's device...that is a recipe for disaster.

Vprbite
01-14-2016, 02:04 AM
People think the HAN's is only for front impact as the video shows.....it also limits how far your head can snap side to side in case you slide sideways into a hard object or get T-boned on the track. The recent death at Buttonwillow got me thinking so I also started on a regimen of neck strengthening exercises. The older we get, the weaker our necks get if not exercised and conditioned.....A lightweight helmet is also a big plus.

The most dangerous set up is a full harness with no HAN's device...that is a recipe for disaster.

Right. That's begging for a snapped neck, IMO. In fact as I said earlier I have known people who used their racing harness on the street because they thought it was safer because they felt more secure, when it actually focuses forces into whipping your neck. Scary thought because I really hope people are not doing that on a regular basis. For those of us who track once in a while and are in stock classes, has anyone tried the neck devices that connect to a frame you wear on your chest? Kinda like a chest harness/vest made of nylon webbing that helps support the neck in lieu of a Hans (which requires a 5 point of course)? I believe one of them is called "necksgen" but there are different versions. Or, is there any value to wearing a neck roll type of device besides fatigue?

Thanks

Russ Oasis
01-15-2016, 01:24 PM
So that everyone is clear; the point of the HANS is not to prevent a snapped neck, but rather the limit the possibility that your brain hits the front of your cranium on impact. That's when the brain swells, causes pressure, and often death.

Redsled
01-15-2016, 05:29 PM
straight from the Hans site. good info on restraints and Hans device use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691_FgzuKaI