PDA

View Full Version : Into every life a little rain must fall

Vprbite
01-08-2016, 03:56 PM
Now, I feel due to a clerical error, I am getting other people's rain. So, it appears I need another knee surgery. This one is of course no where near as intense as the first one. For those that recall, we replaced the ACL and LCL which were completely torn, repaired the meniscus that had a "bucket handle" tear, and left the PCL slightly torn and the MCl also slightly torn, hoping they would heal on their own as they were only torn partially. That surgery was over 6 hours long and required 8 units of blood. So obviously it was very intense. Now though I have been doing well and working hard in my recovery, I had been in a substantial amount of pain. I also recently tweaked my knee causing severe pain and swelling. Well, imaging revealed that the meniscus had degraded a lot and I had developed bone spurs, causing a lot of bone on bone contact which was causing the pain and swelling. The MRI also revealed a complete re-tear of the ACL. So on the 26th I will be going in for a debridment. I like the word debridment. It is a very elegant word for what tends to be a very inelegant procedure. Though it should really help fix the problems that had been causing the swelling and pain on a daily basis for years now.

Of course, I am still guaranteed a knee replacement at some point. Hopefully that's 15 years off. But the goal is that this will help make that time substantially less painful. If it doesn't work, then the discussion will need to be had as for whether to do a knee replacement on an otherwise healthy adult at 36. It's usually not the first choice, but sometimes it is needed. The good news is, this is just arthroscopic so it is MUCH less invasive than the previous one, and recovery is smoother. Previous recovery required I sleep with a brace on and use a walker for 6 weeks. Ideally this should only require a walker for a couple days before I can start cranking in therapy and continuing on like the badass I am.

Other good news, this should have me feeling much better for our upcoming events...especially NVE which I told my surgeon is not open for discussion. That is happening come hell or high water...too soon for a high water joke?...so no need to worry about your illustrious social director. If I didn't tell you about the surgery you may not have even known if I tried to hide it. But since this club has always been so incredibly supportive to me, I wanted to tell you all. Honestly, your support and encouragement has given me strength when I was running out. When I felt the tank was running out of fuel, it was the support of my great friends that kept me going. I look forward to getting the chance to have this procedure done and get to busting ass in therapy and making you all proud of me and my progress again.

Your support is appreciated and I promise it is not wasted.

Martyb
01-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Best of luck with everything! I destroyed my ACL, MCL 3 years ago, and have not had surgery yet, just PT which has me to the point that I can basically do everything in life that I want to. Going to be 50 in a few weeks, so I have some years on you and my injury was no where near what yours was. Again, I wish you the very best!

Marty

Vprbite
01-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Thanks.

It's nothing compared to what I have already been through. And if it makes some of this pain better, it's worth it. My amputation I don't even think about. I put my leg on in the morning and I go. My knee hurts every single day and really does effect quality of life. I worked hard in therapy and then started studying martial arts as a way to keep strengthening so that has helped a lot and explains the stability that I have in the knee joint. But with the trauma as bad as it was, that meniscus degraded and that's what really causes the pain and swelling. Sometimes I forget how bad the wreck really was and that it was only 3 years ago. So it would be unrealistic of me to assume I would just be "done" and not have to think about it anymore.

Again, I have great people around me and this club is a big part of that. I look forward to making everyone proud to have me as a member. That's part of what keeps me working so hard.

drewsss
01-08-2016, 08:00 PM
Jeff,

Hang in there and, as usual, you have a great attitude going into this and you always have a way of coming out stronger each time. It's amazing how you have handled this three year journey so far. We all wish you a successful procedure and a quick recovery.

Drew

WhiteSnake
01-08-2016, 11:11 PM
Jeff,
Sorry to hear you need another knee surgery. Hopefully, you will be pain free and have a better quality of life after recovery. We wish you all the best for the surgery and a speedy recovery. We want to see you in good condition for NVE2 so that you can enjoy it with the rest of us. If you need anything let us know. We have a great group of people in this club.
Barry

LATAMUD
01-09-2016, 03:38 AM
You know if I was closer to you I'd be over there turning wrenches with you. Stay motivated.

Vprbite
01-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Thanks all. Great people here as usual. I can't thank you enough for your support. Considering what you guys have seen me through, this is nothing. And it should help with the daily pain I have been dealing with. My surgeon did say that I might do better after the surgery if when I came home I found that my car had been buffed and sealed by my friends. It's weird that my surgeon would say that out of the blue without prompting but she said it would pretty much guarantee a better recovery. She also warned me that the anesthesia could make my ears more sensitive and that my vehicle would require a set of Greg Good heads put on so as not to cause problems during my recovery because the sound would be more conducive to a speedy recovery. It's nice to know I can count on you guys. ; )

Vprbite
01-10-2016, 06:54 PM
Jeff,

Hang in there and, as usual, you have a great attitude going into this and you always have a way of coming out stronger each time. It's amazing how you have handled this three year journey so far. We all wish you a successful procedure and a quick recovery.

Drew

Thanks for the kind words, Andrew. I know you have known me since back in my two legged days so you have seen me power through a lot. Honestly I'm not too worried about this one and it should help the crazy pain I have been in. I just wanted to post about here though because the club has been such a non stop source of support through all of this. And as I said earlier, I want to make the club proud. So I'll keep cranking. Your support isn't wasted.

Cargirl
01-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you Jeff. Hopefully all this will be in your rear view mirror soon.

AZ Venom
01-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Best of luck Jeff. Do what the PT folks tell you to!

Vprbite
01-21-2016, 08:28 PM
Best of luck Jeff. Do what the PT folks tell you to!

Thanks. Luckily for me, I have great phys therapists and I like doing the work because I know it gets me better. The truth is, I would take half the pain I'm in on a daily basis. I would consider that a win. So I am hopeful that this was really just a happy accident (aggravating my knee before Christmas) because it showed why I was in pain every day. So at least we are doing something about it now.

And don't worry. Events won't suffer. We have already started hammering them out and about to put the finishing touches on them. New one about to be announced in a day. Here is a hint...how is your short game? Your very short game.

drewsss
01-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Hey Jeff,

Hope your recovery is going well! Let us know how you're doing! Hang in there!! :dude3:

Vprbite
01-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Recovery is coming along well. Am doing my phys therapy already at home. My surgeon and my physical therapist both told me no need to come in the first week because I already know what to do and how to do them because of all the experience I have in this arena. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. It ended up being a little more intense than I anticipated but that's ok. In the photos you can see how much cleaner everything is. It's honestly a good thing. The pain in the right knee had gotten so bad, it was getting in the way of me functioning and living a normal life. So this should help a lot.

Thanks for the support. You guys make such a huge difference.

swexlin
01-30-2016, 03:52 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery. You have been through a lot, and seem to ALWAYS keep your sense of humor and zest for life. An inspiration for many.

Vprbite
01-31-2016, 06:41 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery. You have been through a lot, and seem to ALWAYS keep your sense of humor and zest for life. An inspiration for many.

Thank you. That means a lot. My fellow members have been a huge part of my recovery. This is more than a car for me. And this club is like family.

Thanks again. It is very appreciated.

AZSN8K
02-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Sorry I didn't know about this Jeff - I don't get on this forum as often as I should. I am very happy your surgery went well, and we pray for normal function without much pain for you in the near future. I have an old skiing injury to my right knee (partial tear of the interior ligament that I never addressed, and not anywhere near as severe as yours), and am bone - on - bone in that knee. I get injections, and so far that is working for me. We'll have a great trip to NVE, and look forward to seeing you then (if not before).

Vprbite
02-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Thanks Rich. I may ask you more about those injections if you don't mind because I would like to get someone's opinion who goes through it. First hand is different than a doctor's opinion.

So far I seem to be doing well. Saw my surgeon yesterday and we went over the results and my progress at this point. I definitely see some improvement and am in a lot less pain. I mean a lot less. I wouldn't have been able to do what we did on Saturday before the surgery. In the before photos, the back of my patella looked like cotton balls it was so wispy with all the cartilage floating around behind there. Many other places had some pretty ugly tissue too. So it does look a lot cleaner now. She did a lot in there. I have started therapy and am already off and truckin. Looking forward to being me again without the pain. Honestly I don't ever think abut the amputation. I put my leg on in the morning and I go and I don't worry about it, but the right knee being fully rebuilt has been a nightmare.

Yes I am looking forward to seeing you and Kim too. NVE should be great. Emily and I are really looking forward to going.