PDA

View Full Version : Speciality performance team

venum4u
01-08-2016, 10:11 AM
After 1.5 years of ownership, I decided to have my 02 GTS undergo a H/C upgrade. I spoke with Dan at speciality performance team regarding what I wanted to acheive with the build. Wanted to remain emission compliant in the state of California, didn't want car to be too radical (excessive shaking at idle & exhaust fumes), and needed big difference in rwhp over stock.

Well the outcome was a throaty sounding GTS that is putting down 530 rwhp, very smooth idle and no worries regarding emission compliant. Now she is as fast as she looks and a blast to drive that sounds very agressive. Big thanks to Dan, he initally stated to me what would be achieved and the outcome was on point. Very plesant guy to work with. Thanks Dan

Sybil TF
01-08-2016, 10:55 AM
A big challenge in California I'm sure to stay legal. What's max power on a H/C upgrade for someone who doesn't have to be emissions compliant and likes a rough idle and exhaust fumes? Just wondering if an old 96 GTS could get close to a gen 5 in power?

damstr
01-08-2016, 11:52 AM
A big challenge in California I'm sure to stay legal. What's max power on a H/C upgrade for someone who doesn't have to be emissions compliant and likes a rough idle and exhaust fumes? Just wondering if an old 96 GTS could get close to a gen 5 in power?
When I spoke to Greg Good a few weeks ago he said 650 HP with his head and cam on my 97. Not sure if he was talking about crank or wheel though.

Vipernoob
01-08-2016, 12:19 PM
When I spoke to Greg Good a few weeks ago he said 650 HP with his head and cam on my 97. Not sure if he was talking about crank or wheel though.

Crank.

Camfab
01-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Dan is certainly the man ;). He is not the guy who will over promise anything, he's very straightforward and has a knowledge base that certainly rivals anyone in the industry.

Dan Cragin
01-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks Theo,
Much appreciated.

Yes power numbers as high a 650rwhp can be had on a Gen 2, but understand thats on good gas, with no catayst, choppy idle and some low speed surging. Greg's cam and head combinations make really good power, best of all the combinations I have tried.

For many its all about the numbers, sometimes what you think you want and what you really will enjoy may be two differing things. For many and all out ompetition engine for the sreet may be fine, while others may be happier with a milder engine, a little more gear and a lighter flywheel.

MalingatorGTS
01-08-2016, 12:29 PM

I have not tracked mine (97 GTS), but, when JackB owned my car, he ran a 10.8 with the stock 3.07 gears. I have changed them to 3.55s. If you look at the trap speeds and times from the guys in the Gen Vs with bolt ons, they are just a tad faster. While I have not passed Cali standards, it passed CT without an issue.

Coloviper
01-08-2016, 04:02 PM
So it passed Cali Emissions? I think this may be my next approach with my ole 96' RT/10. Still stuck in emissions area requiring serious testing, so would need to comply as well. Car as present has no issues passing but engine-wise only has K&N Stage II Intake, Borla Cat Back and Edelbrock headers on stock cats. If you are willing to share some details, can I PM you?

Stupid intank fuel pump is first area to take care of my car. Not to highjack but Dan do you completely rebuild these older fuel pumps, if I send you mine and what kind of ball park? Backflow prevention valve is shot and of course they do not just sell the whole pump assembly new anymore or would just go that route. Created the primer timer but would like to just fix the whole thing once and for all. On real hot days it still has start issues, even with primer timer sometimes.

mjorgensen
01-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Dan is awesome, excellent choice to trust him with anything, I have leaned on him many times in the past years and value him and his friendship immensely.

Dan Cragin
01-08-2016, 05:06 PM
We have a great Gen 1 package that will pass tailpipe emissions. Gen 2 708 cam, Gen 2 injectors, Ported heads with bigger valves, 1.7 rocker arms, better lifters and pushrods, SBEC calibration. Bone stock the Gen 1's make about 360whp. It will make 490 to 500whp with that combo.

Yes I can rebuild the Gen 1 pumps, except for the sending unit (which I am figuring out). All you need for your long crank time is the regulator (which is discontinued) but I was able to find some. It goes in the top of the pump module. $329.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the support guys.

RedTanRT/10
01-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Venum4u, great numbers, I'm sure it must feel so much faster and fun!! Dan is a great guy to work with, just wish he was closer to OC!!

Dan, one day I've got to get you into my '94 and build that kind of power, will you throw in better brakes and a less stiff clutch too?? Best wishes and see you soon! Mike

Sybil TF
01-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Like the idea of having 650 hp without a sc.

dave6666
01-09-2016, 03:22 AM
Or 750 with.

Passing emissions just takes a good tuner. Good work Dan.

Coloviper
01-09-2016, 09:50 AM
Thanks Dan, will give you a call. Set aside one of those modules for me.

ViperTony
01-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Dan is great people and has been an invaluable resource to us. Thanks Dan for all that you do.

SARaptor
01-09-2016, 02:13 PM

probably a conservative crank number. I am just shy of 600rwhp in my h&c package.