PDA

View Full Version : Installation Instructions for SRT 18-Speaker High Performance Audio in Viper ACR 16+

2doorrocket
01-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Step 1: Visit your local dealership, and purchase the following parts.
6509674AA - Quantity 6 - Screws for Door Woofers
05035254AA - Quantity 2 - Door Woofers
05035253AA - Quantity 1 - 6x9 Sub
05035308A - Quantity 1 - Unity Speaker (This is in addition to the one in the upgrade kit)
82213535 - Quantity 1 - 12 to 18 Speaker Upgrade Kit
05035339AA - Quantity 4 - Buckets for the 6x9 Speakers, This is required as once you remove the cover, it’s exposed to outside)
5035418AC - Quantity 1 - AMP for 2016 Model Year
- Quantity 3 - Bolts for the AMP

Step 2: Unplug the Base Audio Jumper to the right of the steering column, and insert the Jumper into the one labeled Full Audio - THIS IS REQUIRED OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THE RADIO/HEAD UNIT

Step 3: After you have successfully installed the audio, and you have absolutely no audio or feedback (FEEDBACK WILL BE PRESENT IF YOU DO NOT COMPLETE STEP 2) proceed to Step 4.

Step 4: Log into DealerConnect, Under the Service Tab, Inside Warranty Administration - Locate "Vehicle Option Updates"

Step 5: Enter the Vehicle Identification Number or VIN, and Select RCA - Amplifier (Specific to ACR's ONLY, Other vehicles will say RCA - SRT High Performance Audio) and Add it to the Vehicle and Select Save.

Step 6: Using the WiTech Scan Tool, Select Vehicle Preparation, and Select Restore Vehicle Config.

Step 7: Power Cycle the Vehicle, Reconnect with WiTech Scan Tool and Clear Codes. Vehicle Network Topology will show the Radio and AMP as blue

Step 8: Power Off the Vehicle, and induce 2x Sleep Cycles. (Power off the car, close the door, wait 1 minute. Power on the vehicle again, Power off the car, close the door wait 1 minute.)

For additional support and questions feel free to message me directly, if you're not comfortable with installing this yourself, print off this installation guide and take it to your dealer. A dealer will be required to add the sales code and do the vehicle reconfig.

TitanSnake
01-07-2016, 11:21 AM
Awesome!

Rapidrezults
01-07-2016, 12:39 PM
You are a rockstar dude. This is awesome! Thanks.

darbgnik
01-07-2016, 12:43 PM
That's great news!

So you didn't have to end up connecting the jumper in the trunk?

Dman
01-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Wow, there are going to be a lot of folks who owe you a drink. What great info from a great contributor in a great club.

OK, now, who has a highly discounted ACR for me, j/k ... unless you do, lol, but seriously. ;-)

2doorrocket
01-07-2016, 12:48 PM
That's great news!

So you didn't have to end up connecting the jumper in the trunk?

Nope, that was not necessary. Not sure what it does other than the active damping bus connection

KB Viper
01-07-2016, 01:38 PM
awesome Rob, you are trailblazer 4sho. let's meet up and cruise once this rain stops...

Coloviper
01-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Someone capture this and post in the "How To" section so it gets saved in the right spot! Way to go! Kind of reminds me of the video games these days, so many moves and processes to make things happen. I am still an old Atari/Intelivision/Coleocovision/early Nintendo kind of guy! Joystick with a button on top. Ha! Ha! Serious good work!

2doorrocket
01-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Someone capture this and post in the "How To" section so it gets saved in the right spot! Way to go! Kind of reminds me of the video games these days, so many moves and processes to make things happen. I am still an old Atari/Intelivision/Coleocovision/early Nintendo kind of guy! Joystick with a button on top. Ha! Ha! Serious good work!

How about Super Nintendo and Donkey Kong Country, the Grandpa was my favorite

1Koolasp 16ACR
01-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Hey, Is That Only For The 3 Speaker Set Up To Go 18,? What About The 12 Going To 18 ?, What Would Be The Procedure ?, Being That The Doors Work, Just Not The 2 Rear Subs.

ViperSmith
01-07-2016, 02:32 PM
how many people did you have to yell at to get this figured out :D

2doorrocket
01-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Hey, Is That Only For The 3 Speaker Set Up To Go 18,? What About The 12 Going To 18 ?, What Would Be The Procedure ?, Being That The Doors Work, Just Not The 2 Rear Subs.

I sent the instructions.

1.8t
01-07-2016, 03:19 PM
So for those of us with TA's that upgraded to the 18 speaker system and cannot get the 2 new subs working, is this a potential fix for us as well?

2doorrocket
01-07-2016, 03:21 PM
If the sales code wasn't added, and your vehicle was not reconfigured then yes, RCA needs to be added and the vehicle needs to be reconfigured. It states that in the instructions for the upgrade kit.

1.8t
01-07-2016, 05:37 PM
My vehicle has had RCA added and it has been reconfigured. New subs are not working. Will look into purchasing this amp to get them going.

VENOM V
01-07-2016, 06:03 PM
I will admit that you had annoyed me in the past, but all is forgiven. You have redeemed yourself, nice work. I may just do this too. :United_States:

darbgnik
01-07-2016, 06:06 PM
My vehicle has had RCA added and it has been reconfigured. New subs are not working. Will look into purchasing this amp to get them going.

I don't know, but I think all 2016's get a different amp, not just ACR's, or cars with 18 speakers etc.

2doorrocket
01-07-2016, 06:12 PM
I don't know, but I think all 2016's get a different amp, not just ACR's, or cars with 18 speakers etc.

You're correct, I sent him a message asking him to explain his situation to see if I can help him out. This amp is for 2016MY+

Batmobile
01-07-2016, 09:34 PM
I would like instructions from 12 to 18 also if someone could pm me them I would greatful

2doorrocket
01-07-2016, 09:59 PM
I would like instructions from 12 to 18 also if someone could pm me them I would greatful

Instructions come in the box with the 12 to 18 speaker kit

Exhlr8n
01-09-2016, 01:00 AM
Ordering and building a 1 of 1 ACR Extreme,

What was the total cost for the upgrades, when you go from the stock 3 speaker setup to the upgraded 18 speaker system.

Anyone know what you get for the $1,900 Harmon stereo upgrade with the GTC program?

Thanks

ViperTony
01-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Ordering and building a 1 of 1 ACR Extreme,

What was the total cost for the upgrades, when you go from the stock 3 speaker setup to the upgraded 18 speaker system.

Anyone know what you get for the $1,900 Harmon stereo upgrade with the GTC program?

Thanks

If you go the 1 of 1 program with ACR Package it includes the 12 speaker system. If you opt for the stereo upgrade, the $1,900 gets you the 18 speaker HK system.

Coloviper
01-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Here is some more info on the stereo system from Harman Kardon:

http://www.harmankardon.com/content?ContentID=viper-srt

Simms
01-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Awesome! Subscribed for future reference.

Darius
01-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Thanks for doing all the research! Ordered all my parts today. Can't wait to hear something besides treble.

ACR
01-10-2016, 10:48 PM
Wow, thank you x 1000

05Commemorative
01-10-2016, 11:23 PM
what was price range for all the parts?

Thanks for doing all the research! Ordered all my parts today. Can't wait to hear something besides treble.

Darius
01-10-2016, 11:39 PM
what was price range for all the parts?

I didn't ask. I thought I remembered someone else posting it's around $1800. I'll post up what it cost me when all the parts come in.

TitanSnake
01-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Finally had a chance to get the car reprogrammed. Works like a champ!

2doorrocket
01-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Finally had a chance to get the car reprogrammed. Works like a champ!

We're all pretty thrilled with how this worked out.

TitanSnake
01-27-2016, 05:20 PM
quick update, apparently the factory no longer uses the speaker buckets on the woofers, see attached pic (borrowed from the Ferrari gray thread :) :

2doorrocket
01-28-2016, 01:33 AM
LOL... It seemed to work just fine with the buckets. Haha I still need a few of the clips for the door panels, and I just got in the factory bolts for the door woofers.

ACRucrazy
07-24-2016, 01:51 AM
05035308A - Quantity 1 - Unity Speaker (This is in addition to the one in the upgrade kit)
05035339AA - Quantity 4 - Buckets for the 6x9 Speakers, This is required as once you remove the cover, it’s exposed to outside)

Step 2: Unplug the Base Audio Jumper to the right of the steering column, and insert the Jumper into the one labeled Full Audio - THIS IS REQUIRED OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THE RADIO/HEAD UNIT

Step 3: After you have successfully installed the audio, and you have absolutely no audio or feedback (FEEDBACK WILL BE PRESENT IF YOU DO NOT COMPLETE STEP 2) proceed to Step 4.

Step 4: Log into DealerConnect, Under the Service Tab, Inside Warranty Administration - Locate "Vehicle Option Updates"

Step 5: Enter the Vehicle Identification Number or VIN, and Select RCA - Amplifier (Specific to ACR's ONLY, Other vehicles will say RCA - SRT High Performance Audio) and Add it to the Vehicle and Select Save.

Step 6: Using the WiTech Scan Tool, Select Vehicle Preparation, and Select Restore Vehicle Config.

Step 7: Power Cycle the Vehicle, Reconnect with WiTech Scan Tool and Clear Codes. Vehicle Network Topology will show the Radio and AMP as blue

Step 8: Power Off the Vehicle, and induce 2x Sleep Cycles. (Power off the car, close the door, wait 1 minute. Power on the vehicle again, Power off the car, close the door wait 1 minute.)

For additional support and questions feel free to message me directly, if you're not comfortable with installing this yourself, print off this installation guide and take it to your dealer. A dealer will be required to add the sales code and do the vehicle reconfig.

dmc71
08-09-2016, 03:17 PM

If one was to have an aftermarket company install a better stereo system, would it require these same steps it reprogramming from a Viper tech?

ViperJon
10-14-2016, 11:41 AM

Bringing a thread back from the dead but want to know if the above quoted post is still accurate for a 2016 ACR-E. I want to do the sound system over this fall/winter and want to be sure this is all I will need to go from 3 speakers to 18? Anyone who has done it and can add anything new please do...I plan on ordering the whole list above online. Any advice please chime in.

2doorrocket
10-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Bringing a thread back from the dead but want to know if the above quoted post is still accurate for a 2016 ACR-E. I want to do the sound system over this fall/winter and want to be sure this is all I will need to go from 3 speakers to 18? Anyone who has done it and can add anything new please do...I plan on ordering the whole list above online. Any advice please chime in.

Yes, this post is accurate, I just helped a dealer figure this out.

sadil
10-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Hey guys, how many of these items are required if going from the TA setup to the full HK system?

Edit: Whoops. Seems like the straightforward 12 -> 18 speaker upgrade kit should suffice!

2doorrocket
10-14-2016, 04:16 PM
That's the worst part....dealer involvement in any way lol. I'll print out your instructions and say FOLLOW THIS EXACTLY. And pray.

Just message me if you need help, it' so easy.

ViperJon
10-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Just message me if you need help, it' so easy.

I'm going to do the hardware install with a buddy who did the 12 to 18 upgrade on his, so we should be okay. But thanks....if I get hung up will do.

q8blueviper
10-16-2016, 10:51 PM
this may help

http://moparonlineparts.com/docs/82213535.pdf

ViperJon
10-17-2016, 08:04 AM
Never easy. According to several online Mopar dealers the speaker upgrade kit 82213535 - Quantity 1 - 12 to 18 Speaker Upgrade Kit
Is on national backorder. If anyone knows of a source that may have one let me know. Crap.

darbgnik
10-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Ya, you definitely don't want to have to buy the pieces individually. IIRC, the door tweeters and covers cost almost as much as the whole kit?

ViperJon
11-07-2016, 09:05 AM
UPDATE: Just got back from the dealer and had them reconfigure the system as per 2doorrocket's instructions and all I can say is AWESOME. I sourced every part down to the screws and bought them separately since the upgrade kit is still on backorder (and I'll bet forever) but the parts are all available down to the screws. I made my own upper door speaker cover and it looks factory as that is the only part you CANNOT buy as a separate item. The parts not including shipping came in under $1350.00 with NO extra speakers left over so it's so well worth it. Dealer charged me $120.00. Needless to say it is so overwhelmingly better that the 3 speaker setup it's not even in the same universe.

One comment. The idea of weight savings in an ACR-E is important and of course they are designed to be as light as possible. But leaving out the sound system is ridiculous. The entire upgrade from three to eighteen speakers cannot weigh 20 pounds probably less. The ENTIRE shipment of parts via UPS with all packaging (every parts in their own box and those boxes inside a huge box weighed 30 pounds. The amp is about 5-7 pounds and the speakers are nothing. That's is so minimal it's laughable.

I have the complete list of parts if anyone needs in the future. The install is pretty easy, hardest part is the doors. But me and a buddy managed it in a few hours.

NKC
11-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Oh kind Sir. Please send me the complete list as I can't stand the freaking 3 speaker setup anymore. I also want to source every thing down to the screws on the full 18 speaker setup.

I'd rather lose 20lbs on my body than to lose a sound system. Anyone else do the extra carpeting also?

ViperJon
11-07-2016, 12:50 PM
No problem NKC but first.....check with as many Mopar dealers as you can to see if the upgrade kit (82213535) is still totally unavailable. It wasn't available three weeks ago but I haven't checked since. If it is still hopelessly backordered I will list the exact parts.

darbgnik
11-07-2016, 05:42 PM
UPDATE: Just got back from the dealer and had them reconfigure the system as per 2doorrocket's instructions and all I can say is AWESOME. I sourced every part down to the screws and bought them separately since the upgrade kit is still on backorder (and I'll bet forever) but the parts are all available down to the screws. I made my own upper door speaker cover and it looks factory as that is the only part you CANNOT buy as a separate item. The parts not including shipping came in under $1350.00 with NO extra speakers left over so it's so well worth it. Dealer charged me $120.00. Needless to say it is so overwhelmingly better that the 3 speaker setup it's not even in the same universe.

One comment. The idea of weight savings in an ACR-E is important and of course they are designed to be as light as possible. But leaving out the sound system is ridiculous. The entire upgrade from three to eighteen speakers cannot weigh 20 pounds probably less. The ENTIRE shipment of parts via UPS with all packaging (every parts in their own box and those boxes inside a huge box weighed 30 pounds. The amp is about 5-7 pounds and the speakers are nothing. That's is so minimal it's laughable.

I have the complete list of parts if anyone needs in the future. The install is pretty easy, hardest part is the doors. But me and a buddy managed it in a few hours.

Pics or it didn't happen!! What did you make them out of?

38D
11-07-2016, 06:10 PM
But leaving out the sound system is ridiculous. The entire upgrade from three to eighteen speakers cannot weigh 20 pounds probably less.

20lbs is worth ~0.1-0.2 secs at a typical 2 minute track. So while I agree that I'd rather have the 18, I do like that they offer the bad ass stripped version.

ViperJon
11-08-2016, 05:12 AM
Pics or it didn't happen!! What did you make them out of?

Simple. I used a set of OEM blanks that come with the car and drilled out an 1-1/2 hole in them. Laid out the hole so it would be right on top of the speaker underneath. Then I sanded the blanks and filed the hole smooth. Next spray painted the blanks black. After that dried I sprayed a commercial adhesive to the blank and overlaid color matched mesh screening on it. Wrapped the screening around the edges and after it was all dried popped them into the speaker blank cutout. Looks great.

http://i.imgur.com/GtWGawe.jpg

vipervu
11-09-2016, 06:47 AM
ViperJon, would you please pm that list as well. 3 speakers are laughable at best. Thank you kindly.

ViperJon
11-09-2016, 07:04 AM
Here you go guys. NOTE....the amplifier listed here is for 2016 ACR's will not work in 2013-2015! I have also included the screws and nuts required, they probably can be sourced at any local hardware store for less but I didn't want to be hunting them down. The two door woofers each use three screws, you may want to get a couple extra. I bought a few extra of all the nuts and screws. You will need a couple nuts and washers to bolt down the amp, they are the SAME size as the nuts that hold on the four blank plates behind the seats. You will reuse the existing factory nuts holding the CF blanks on with the new speakers.

Double check the 12-18 speaker upgrade kit is still not available. The parts below will not give you the upper door speaker covers that come in that kit. IF the upgrade kit is available use 2doorrockets post for parts you would not need all the ones I have listed!

Important! While waiting for delivery go around and free up the factory installed sound system wiring harness plugs in the rear and the four behind seats. They can be taped up and out of easy reach but be careful unwrapping them. They have a tough factory foam tape on them.

If you do no have an interior door trim removal kit get one. They are cheap and made of plastic so you won't scratch anything. Must have.

Follow 2Doorrockets instructions about the full audio jumper. DO NOT power up system with amp plugged in and jumper NOT changed to Full Audio.
I can help with any questions you have.

05035254AA - Quantity 2 - Door Woofers (lower door speakers)
05035253AA - Quantity 4 - 6x9 Sub (behind seats)
05035308AC- Quantity 4 - 3.5" speakers (two upper door and two trunk)

05035339AA - Quantity 4 - Buckets for the 6x9 Speakers. (These are expensive but REALLY nice. The factory doesn't provide.)
^^without buckets speakers are totally exposed to outside.

5035418AC - Quantity 1 - AMP for 2016 Model Year (model year 2016)
06509822AA - Quantity 4 Spring nuts (for upper door speaker)
06505628AA - Quantity 4 - Screw and Washer (for upper door speaker)

pdv25
11-09-2016, 08:14 AM
Thank you for the info!!! I will be doing this if I end up getting the ACR.

ViperTony
11-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Jon, that was very nice of you. Thanks.

ViperTony
11-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Here you go guys. NOTE....the amplifier listed here is for 2016 ACR's will not work in 2013-2015! I have also included the screws and nuts required, they probably can be sourced at any local hardware store for less but I didn't want to be hunting them down. The two door woofers each use three screws, you may want to get a couple extra. I bought a few extra of all the nuts and screws. You will need a couple nuts and washers to bolt down the amp, they are the SAME size as the nuts that hold on the four blank plates behind the seats. You will reuse the existing factory nuts holding the CF blanks on with the new speakers.

Double check the 12-18 speaker upgrade kit is still not available. The parts below will not give you the upper door speaker covers that come in that kit. IF the upgrade kit is available use 2doorrockets post for parts you would not need all the ones I have listed!

Important! While waiting for delivery go around and free up the factory installed sound system wiring harness plugs in the rear and the four behind seats. They can be taped up and out of easy reach but be careful unwrapping them. They have a tough factory foam tape on them.

If you do no have an interior door trim removal kit get one. They are cheap and made of plastic so you won't scratch anything. Must have.

Follow 2Doorrockets instructions about the full audio jumper. DO NOT power up system with amp plugged in and jumper NOT changed to Full Audio.
I can help with any questions you have.

05035254AA - Quantity 2 - Door Woofers (lower door speakers)
05035253AA - Quantity 4 - 6x9 Sub (behind seats)
05035308AC- Quantity 4 - 3.5" speakers (two upper door and two trunk)

05035339AA - Quantity 4 - Buckets for the 6x9 Speakers. (These are expensive but REALLY nice. The factory doesn't provide.)
^^without buckets speakers are totally exposed to outside.

5035418AC - Quantity 1 - AMP for 2016 Model Year (model year 2016)

Jon, what about the center dash speaker referenced/included in the 12 to 18 upgrade instructions? When I look for 05035308AC from your list, it shows as the center dash speaker. Is this correct? Thx.

ViperJon
11-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Jon, what about the center dash speaker referenced/included in the 12 to 18 upgrade instructions? When I look for 05035308AC from your list, it shows as the center dash speaker. Is this correct? Thx.

All Gen V's with the 18 speaker system use the same speakers but the product number has changed year to year. The important thing to know is that the center dash speaker, the two upper door speakers and the two rear speakers are all the exact same speaker. The only difference is that the center dash speaker uses a weird mounting plate.

I have been unable to find a part number that is valid for the required speakers WITHOUT the weird mounting plate. The Mopar parts catalog lists a different model number for the door and rear speakers without the base attached but it is unavailable. So the only model number available is the one I listed. You just unscrew the mounting base and use the speaker itself. All five are the same. Unscrew base and throw away.

All ACR's have the center dash speaker already installed so you're buying the two upper doors and two rears.

snake2014
03-16-2017, 11:33 AM
I bought my 2014 GTS in June 2014 and until I saw some of the posting about awesome audio, did not realize that SRT had not installed the 18 speaker system called for on both my build sheet and the window sticker. I went to dealer service up the chain to a "DM" who stated that if I did not realize the error in 48 hours it was not SRT/FAC problem. Has anyone ever heard of this 48 hour rule? Seems there are 100's of subsystems that you would never know about in the first 48 hours.

Smokin
03-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Was just told by a dealer and an online Mopar dealer that part number 05035253AA (the 6x9 speakers) has been discontinued. Sounds like without an upgrade kit and an inability to buy 6x9 speakers many of us are going to be stuck with 3 speaker systems.

ViperJon
03-16-2017, 06:09 PM
Was just told by a dealer and an online Mopar dealer that part number 05035253AA (the 6x9 speakers) has been discontinued. Sounds like without an upgrade kit and an inability to buy 6x9 speakers many of us are going to be stuck with 3 speaker systems.

Before giving up double check the same speaker but in earlier years. Sometimes they change the product number by adding a letter after it but it's the same exact part. There is no difference between 2013-2017 for that woofer. You can do it yourself online just need a schematic from earlier years. It would be under warranty if it broke on a car with the 18 factory speakers Dodge would have to replace it somehow.

Smokin
03-16-2017, 10:55 PM
Seems that there are plenty of parts that mopar doesn't have in stock anywhere (i.e. Acr wing or hood) but could be needed for warranty exchange. I wasn't able to pull up anything but maybe it's just my search. Some are saying the parts are discontinued temporarily to keep customers from ordering to meet production demands.....

snake2014
03-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Is there a way to find out if my Viper came from the factory with the software upgrade? My build sheet has RCAP and the window sticker says "SRT High Perf 18 Spkrs Incld 4 Subwoofer". There are not 18 speakers in the car and no sign that there ever were. I just found out when I heard about the great audio upgrade and wondered why mine didn't sound that good. SRT district manager says I had to notice it in the first 48 hours. Rule no one has ever heard of including the dealership. I am currently dealing with SRT customer assistance to further resolve this issue. Hoped may this software upgrade might be another hint as to what really happened here.

PkB2014
03-17-2017, 01:03 PM
Is there a way to find out if my Viper came from the factory with the software upgrade? My build sheet has RCAP and the window sticker says "SRT High Perf 18 Spkrs Incld 4 Subwoofer". There are not 18 speakers in the car and no sign that there ever were. I just found out when I heard about the great audio upgrade and wondered why mine didn't sound that good. SRT district manager says I had to notice it in the first 48 hours. Rule no one has ever heard of including the dealership. I am currently dealing with SRT customer assistance to further resolve this issue. Hoped may this software upgrade might be another hint as to what really happened here.

Some of the speakers count as 2 so don't try counting all speaker locations and think it should be 18. Just FYI.

ViperJon
03-17-2017, 01:34 PM

There are only 13 physical speakers in the car, as noted Dodge counts some units as two speakers like the upper dash. Fuzzy math.
Three in the dash, four in the doors, four behind the seats and two in the rear.

CarDude
05-12-2017, 08:31 AM
I have the 3 speaker (AM sounding) system. Has anyone just went with aftermarket speakers?

CarDude
05-12-2017, 08:33 AM
I was looking in the rear of my ACR-E and can't figure out where speakers go...its all open and exposed?

sadil
05-12-2017, 09:35 AM
I was looking in the rear of my ACR-E and can't figure out where speakers go...its all open and exposed?

You have 4 speakers/subs behind the seats. 2 on each side. They are behind the carpet and the carpet is just velcro'd on.

You also have two speakers hidden away in the ceiling within the decklid area behind the driver/passenger seat.

Each door has two speakers, one larger one at the bottom, and one small one forward of the door lock button.

You have a center speaker on the dash and two corner speakers as well.

The above adds to 18. Mystery of the century.

Amp is in the trunk floor.

ViperJon
05-12-2017, 10:34 AM
You also have two speakers hidden away in the ceiling within the decklid area behind the driver/passenger seat..

Ceiling? Ummm no. The two rear speakers are mounted behind the vertical carpeted area on the rear cargo section. The trunk light is also mounted there.
That piece of upright carpeted structure comes out (held in place by two clips) and exposes the speaker mounts.

sadil
05-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Ceiling? Ummm no. The two rear speakers are mounted behind the vertical carpeted area on the rear cargo section. The trunk light is also mounted there.
That piece of upright carpeted structure comes out (held in place by two clips) and exposes the speaker mounts.

Oh wow. I didnt know they were that far back. My bad.

Zach
05-12-2017, 07:39 PM
I've been piecing together the speakers needed to upgrade my '13 9 speaker car to the full 18 speaker setup. I was able to purchase 3 center channel speakers, two of which will go in the doors. I'll drill out the factory blanking plates myself and wrap them in speaker cloth so that they look proper.

The upper door/center channel/rear speakers fit into a 68mm opening and are attached with two screws that are 99mm apart. Measured impedance is 3.8 ohms.

The subs still show discontinued so far as I can find. I'll pull the one sub my car came with and find a suitable replacement, I'm crossing my fingers that it's a 4 ohm speaker. If anyone has one out of the car and would care to measure it for me (both bolt pattern and impedance) I would greatly appreciate it, otherwise I'll do just that early next week.

darbgnik
05-12-2017, 08:04 PM
I've been piecing together the speakers needed to upgrade my '13 9 speaker car to the full 18 speaker setup. I was able to purchase 3 center channel speakers, two of which will go in the doors. I'll drill out the factory blanking plates myself and wrap them in speaker cloth so that they look proper.

The upper door/center channel/rear speakers fit into a 68mm opening and are attached with two screws that are 99mm apart. Measured impedance is 3.8 ohms.

The subs still show discontinued so far as I can find. I'll pull the one sub my car came with and find a suitable replacement, I'm crossing my fingers that it's a 4 ohm speaker. If anyone has one out of the car and would care to measure it for me (both bolt pattern and impedance) I would greatly appreciate it, otherwise I'll do just that early next week.

The factory 6x9 has a 4 ohm impedance, and measuring diagonally, the holes are 8" apart.

CarDude
05-15-2017, 07:13 AM
I am wondering if I should just go aftermarket on all the speakers for better sound quality. What does the flash do to the head unit? Does it just enable the extra speakers of the amp as well?

My car has the 3 speakers...so I need serious audio help.

CarDude
05-15-2017, 08:09 AM

The pretty small holes I can feel thru the carpet?

CarDude
05-22-2017, 10:51 AM
I have ordered all that is available (just can't get the 6x9s behind the seats...going to have to go aftermarket). The speaker kit was also not available.

Zach
05-22-2017, 12:02 PM
I have ordered all that is available (just can't get the 6x9s behind the seats...going to have to go aftermarket). The speaker kit was also not available.

I gave up on the stock subs and ordered some CDT audio 6x9 midbass drivers. I have yet to test fit, so I can't say yet if I'll need an adapter plate to mount them or not.

CarDude
05-22-2017, 12:43 PM
I gave up on the stock subs and ordered some CDT audio 6x9 midbass drivers. I have yet to test fit, so I can't say yet if I'll need an adapter plate to mount them or not.

I was going to let a car audio store install my stuff, so they could also take care of the 6x9s.

Mawler
05-22-2017, 05:29 PM

The CDT drivers do not fit. I bought some subs and they are too deep and hit the metal behind
You would need to build a spacer and they might fit but I haven't checked to see if the cover will fit back
I just added an amp and sub in the hatch instead. Much easier.

Zach
05-22-2017, 07:14 PM
The CDT drivers do not fit. I bought some subs and they are too deep and hit the metal behind
You would need to build a spacer and they might fit but I haven't checked to see if the cover will fit back
I just added an amp and sub in the hatch instead. Much easier.

Well that's a bummer. I'll see if I can make it work with a spacer, as I'd like to avoid giving up what little trunk space there is.

Lost me beer
05-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Ok, so now that I am convinced that I absolutely need 18 speakers....!
I have spent the last 3 days researching and writing down, and erasing, and re-researching. I need someone to really dumb this parts list down for me. Yea, even more than the OP and John did! I am a complete moron.
I have the 12 speaker system in my '16. Looks like I will need the center dash, 3 subs, and 2 door speakers... Right? The center dash speaker comes in 3 models when I copy and paste the part number in. ??? Which one do I need? Dash A, B, or C? All diff prices. Do I need the 6x9 shells? Sounds like they are not used now? Maybe??! Are the 6x9s avail any longer? Looks like they come up avail, but some above posts say no joy.
And all that gobly gook stuff about amp and jumper and pin and stuff...wtf? I need a pic! I would love to put together a parts list, order required items, install, and go have the dealer flash it without me jackin up my baby of course!
Also, what is the fav online dodge parts place? New to this Dodge game.
Yea, I do know there is no longer a simple kit obviously, and will be making speaker grills similar to what John did (thx!).
Really appreciate any help yall can provide during ur busy lives.
Oh, and thanks for convincing me to spend more moneies on my girl. My wife hasn't quite disowned me as of yet. (Don't tell her the new Busa may be coming out soon. Shhhhhhh.)
Troy

darbgnik
05-09-2018, 09:30 PM
Ok, so now that I am convinced that I absolutely need 18 speakers....!
I have spent the last 3 days researching and writing down, and erasing, and re-researching. I need someone to really dumb this parts list down for me. Yea, even more than the OP and John did! I am a complete moron.
I have the 12 speaker system in my '16. Looks like I will need the center dash, 3 subs, and 2 door speakers... Right? The center dash speaker comes in 3 models when I copy and paste the part number in. ??? Which one do I need? Dash A, B, or C? All diff prices. Do I need the 6x9 shells? Sounds like they are not used now? Maybe??! Are the 6x9s avail any longer? Looks like they come up avail, but some above posts say no joy.
And all that gobly gook stuff about amp and jumper and pin and stuff...wtf? I need a pic! I would love to put together a parts list, order required items, install, and go have the dealer flash it without me jackin up my baby of course!
Also, what is the fav online dodge parts place? New to this Dodge game.
Yea, I do know there is no longer a simple kit obviously, and will be making speaker grills similar to what John did (thx!).
Really appreciate any help yall can provide during ur busy lives.
Oh, and thanks for convincing me to spend more moneies on my girl. My wife hasn't quite disowned me as of yet. (Don't tell her the new Busa may be coming out soon. Shhhhhhh.)
Troy

12 speaker system should have the center speaker and 2 "subs". You should need the door tweeters and 1 extra "sub" behind each seat.

Lost me beer
05-09-2018, 10:59 PM
Thought I needed 6?! The door speakers def count as 1 each, and the subs (6x9) should also be just one. Am I missing something? Isn't there only 1 behind the driver and 2 behind the pax in the 18 system? So the 12 has only 1 behind the pax and non behind the driver?
Damn. I thought I was confused before.
Troy

sadil
05-10-2018, 01:11 AM
Thought I needed 6?! The door speakers def count as 1 each, and the subs (6x9) should also be just one. Am I missing something? Isn't there only 1 behind the driver and 2 behind the pax in the 18 system? So the 12 has only 1 behind the pax and non behind the driver?
Damn. I thought I was confused before.
Troy

You need one more sub behind each of the seats. Both seats have 2 holes behind them. One of the holes is filled with a sub, the other is covered with a plate - so you need 2 subs (05035253AB)

You need the door speakers that go in front of the door handle on each side - so 2 speakers (05035290AC)

So you need 4 in total.

Your car currently has 1 center speaker (Type B), 2 corner in dash tweeters (Type A), 2 large door subs (Type D), 2 rear ceiling (Type B), and 2 subs behind the seats (Type C). Adds to 9. 12 in Dodge math. I don't know how.

You need the 4 mentioned above. (Totals 13, 18 in Dodge math)

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1962559&ukey_make=1062&ukey_model=15518&modelYear=2017&ukey_category=20307&ukey_driveLine=7785&ukey_trimLevel=26730

I believe you need hardware for the door speaker and remember, mesh for the door speaker is not an available part.

ViperJon
05-10-2018, 05:14 AM
As explained in this thread the two upper door speakers, the two rear speakers and the one center dash speaker are all the same speaker. The center dash speaker which you do not need to buy has a different housing but the speaker is removable from it and is the same as the others. So if you cannot source the same exact part number for upper door speakers but can find h center dash part number it works. You just remove the housing. It’s all explained in this thread if you read it start to finish.

AZTVR
05-10-2018, 10:23 AM
Your car currently has 1 center speaker (Type B), 2 corner in dash tweeters (Type A), 2 large door subs (Type D), 2 rear ceiling (Type B), and 2 subs behind the seats (Type C). Adds to 9. 12 in Dodge math. I don't know how.

Here is how it adds up. It is not "Dodge math," it is the speaker manufacturer's nomenclature. Each driver coil and diaphragm, by definition, is a speaker. There are other definitions and usages of the word "speaker" also that most people use and think of. Cars typically combine a high frequency speaker and a mid range speaker into the same assembly, calling it a coaxial speaker. That is often done to minimize space requirements. The coaxial-like speakers in the Viper use 2 diaphragms but from what I read, there may be only one coil. There are 5 of these speakers in the "18 speaker" option; or, in their tech-speak, 5 mid range and 5 high range speakers = 10. The same terminology is used in the Subaru application of these Harman-Kardon/JBL speakers.

The manufacturer's information on the system is here: https://www.harmankardon.com/viper-srt.html
They use the term "unity speaker" in place of "coaxial speaker" I guess because of the one versus 2 coils. From JBL: "80/16 mm mid/tweeter Unity Extended Bandwidth speakers: Compact, lightweight, next-generation coaxials reproduce high and middle frequencies. With two diaphragms and a single motor, they perform like two speakers"

sadil
05-10-2018, 10:28 AM
Here is how it adds up. It is not "Dodge math," it is the speaker manufacturer's nomenclature. Each driver coil and diaphragm, by definition, is a speaker. There are other definitions and usages of the word "speaker" also that most people use and think of. Cars typically combine a high frequency speaker and a mid range speaker into the same assembly, calling it a coaxial speaker. That is often done to minimize space requirements. The coaxial-like speakers in the Viper use 2 diaphragms but from what I read, there may be only one coil. There are 5 of these speakers in the "18 speaker" option or, in their tech-speak, 5 mid range and 5 high range speakers. The same terminology is used in the Subaru application of these Haman-Kardon/JBL speakers.

The manufacturer's information on the system is here: https://www.harmankardon.com/viper-srt.html
They use the term "unity speaker" in place of "coaxial speaker" I guess because of the one versus 2 coils. From JBL: "80/16 mm mid/tweeter Unity Extended Bandwidth speakers: Compact, lightweight, next-generation coaxials reproduce high and middle frequencies. With two diaphragms and a single motor, they perform like two speaker"

Makes total sense and I was aware of the dual range speakers counting as 2. I was just trying to simplify it so the guy can go buy some parts lol. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Lost me beer
05-10-2018, 01:02 PM
That is exactly what I needed! I was getting so damn confused over this. Yes, I not only read the post from beginning to end, I have read every post on this forum at least 10 times completely! Not sure why I was getting so hung up...really, I can tie my shoes!
As for the "jumpering" stuff. Can I just do nothing with the jumpering, replace all speakers, leave the radio off, and head to the dealer to flash? Or will this jack something up? Or does someone have a pic of what I need to jumper?
Really do appreciate it.
Troy

Lost me beer
05-10-2018, 01:12 PM
You need one more sub behind each of the seats. Both seats have 2 holes behind them. One of the holes is filled with a sub, the other is covered with a plate - so you need 2 subs (05035253AB)

You need the door speakers that go in front of the door handle on each side - so 2 speakers (05035290AC)

So you need 4 in total.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1962559&ukey_make=1062&ukey_model=15518&modelYear=2017&ukey_category=20307&ukey_driveLine=7785&ukey_trimLevel=26730

I believe you need hardware for the door speaker and remember, mesh for the door speaker is not an available part.

When I order the 2 additional subs behind the seats, do I need the hardware for those? What about the speaker boxes (#10)? If yes, how many? 2 more?
Troy

sadil
05-10-2018, 02:44 PM
When I order the 2 additional subs behind the seats, do I need the hardware for those? What about the speaker boxes (#10)? If yes, how many? 2 more?
Troy

Just order the two speakers. The wires are already routed to the area and are waiting to be connected. You can buy the covers if you want but I wouldn't bother (they are expensive) unless you are planning to go under water soon. I think the factory stopped using them as well. Below is a great resource for the install. Bill used the MOPAR speaker upgrade kit which is now discontinued. However, between the parts diagrams shared here, and his write-up, it is pretty obvious what you need and don't need. http://www.billswebspace.com/viper.html

In regards to hardware, if you want to remove the carpet behind the seat and check, you should be able to see the block off plate for the two speakers that are not there. They should have nuts holding them down and those are same nuts that the speakers use. The door speakers will require the applicable hardware (bolt and nut) since the existing setup used no hardware, just a water seal plastic cover. Again, refer to Bill's photos.

Just remember, the door speakers you are installing utilize a mesh grill which is not included with the speaker, and it is not available to purchase separately. It was only included in the MOPAR upgrade kit which Bill used and are shown in his write up. DSE is working on an aftermarket replacement but it isn't ready yet. If you were to install today, you would have the plastic cover plate (currently located in front of the door handle) removed and will see right into the door panel, the speaker will be sitting inside. Acoustics is not my specialty, so not sure how much it will effect sound but it will certainly look odd. One of the reasons I have waited. I was going to make the mesh myself but DSE has come to the rescue (potentially).

bassplayrr
05-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Damn, I'm not sure how I missed Bill's page in the past, but it's incredibly helpful. Back to the original instructions: it seems that the jumping and reprogram are not necessary when going from the 12 to the 18 setup (only the 3 to 18). Am I incorrect?

Lost me beer
05-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Damn, I'm not sure how I missed Bill's page in the past, but it's incredibly helpful. Back to the original instructions: it seems that the jumping and reprogram are not necessary when going from the 12 to the 18 setup (only the 3 to 18). Am I incorrect?

Shit. Just had to throw that in there eh?! Lol
I have no idea about that...hope someone will chime in as I am ordering as we type.

Yea, I am going to do as Jon did and use the blanks to make a custom speaker grill. Already found some good steel grill material that looks nearly oem. I love the idea of using DSEs cover, but it looks like his holes are about twice the size of oem and might look odd. Time will tell of course.
Troy

bassplayrr
05-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Shit. Just had to throw that in there eh?! Lol
I have no idea about that...hope someone will chime in as I am ordering as we type.

Yea, I am going to do as Jon did and use the blanks to make a custom speaker grill. Already found some good steel grill material that looks nearly oem. I love the idea of using DSEs cover, but it looks like his holes are about twice the size of oem and might look odd. Time will tell of course.
Troy

Ha! Adding confusion to an otherwise clear situation is my life's work. This thread and your questions/subsequent answers have given me newfound confidence to tackle this project as well.

Lost me beer
05-10-2018, 03:51 PM
Ha! Adding confusion to an otherwise clear situation is my life's work. This thread and your questions/subsequent answers have given me newfound confidence to tackle this project as well.

Hahaha! Pretty sure u just called me an idiot! I can take it!

Other than the Jumpering and reprogramming question, I think I have everything except the clips in the door. Can anyone find what part number for the clips that plug into the door that the screws go into when installing the door speakers? Can't find them on any diagrams or posts. Pretty sure I can get a generic version at Autozone though.
Oh, and the prices on the link you gave me above sadil are great. Got a quote from my local dealer and everything was about double.
And again, is a reprogram necessary when going from 12-18?
Troy

bassplayrr
05-10-2018, 06:19 PM
No, no, not at all! I just have a nack for overthinking things and tossing out questions that just seem to add co fusion. And if you’re an idiot, then you’re in good company with me. How I’ve survived three decades in this earth is beyond me.

Looking forward to confirmation on the need to reprogram/jump when moving from 12 to 18.

ViperJon
05-10-2018, 07:10 PM
I went from 3 speakers to 18 and you definitely had to change the jumper before you fired it up, not sure about the 12 to 18. But it’s been answered here you have to search the threads. There are several not just this. There are only two inputs for the jumper so I don’t think you have to change it. As far as the programming I’m positive the dealer has to reprogram it the 12 speaker has a different radio sales code.

Troy wtfffff I listed every part down to the screws in this thread previously!

One Viper Bite
05-10-2018, 07:18 PM
I went from 3 speakers to 18 and you definitely had to change the jumper before you fired it up, not sure about the 12 to 18. But it’s been answered here you have to search the threads. There are several not just this. There are only two inputs for the jumper so I don’t think you have to change it. As far as the programming I’m positive the dealer has to reprogram it the 12 speaker has a different radio sales code.

You mean you went from 3 imaginary speakers to 18 imaginary speaker in your pretend Viper?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Lost me beer
05-10-2018, 09:14 PM

And I thank u jon. It has helped immensely, just not completely. I have the screw part numbers, but do not have the plastic tabs that the screws screw into. I am pretty sure that if the screws are not there, these clips wont be eother. I only want to order one time.
I have read nearly every post regarding this retro and have not seen, or possibly remembered, if a reprogram or repin is necessary for the 12 to 18. I will keep hunting.
Troy

ViperJon
05-11-2018, 05:14 AM
And I thank u jon. It has helped immensely, just not completely. I have the screw part numbers, but do not have the plastic tabs that the screws screw into. I am pretty sure that if the screws are not there, these clips wont be eother. I only want to order one time.
I have read nearly every post regarding this retro and have not seen, or possibly remembered, if a reprogram or repin is necessary for the 12 to 18. I will keep hunting.
Troy

If you are talking about the clips the upper door speaker screws mount to they are listed. If not which are you referring to? All of the mounting hardware are hardware store items but like you I wanted it all present so grossly overpaid for mopar parts lol.

Lost me beer
05-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Sounds funny to "over pay" for a Dodge!!! It aint an F car!
Might be the spring clips, I will cross ref them. They are the square plastic parts that clip into the holes that the screws will screw into.
I really do appreciate all this help for sure.
Troy

Lost me beer
06-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Speakers were delivered last week but my girl was in the shop for a new radio and some other warranty work. Turns out I ordered the wrong screws, but the rest were correct. My local dealer didnt have the screws instock. I tried Home Depot and Lowes to to avail. Ended up finding a screw that would work and used blue loctite to make sure of no rattles. Door came apart rather easily and back together fine. Same with rear subs. My '16 didnt have speaker boxes behind my orig 6x9s behind the seats. I did add them to the new speakers. So, looks like I have boxes on the 2 new ones, and nothing behind the oem ones. Whatever. Car was at the shop for unrelated issues so I had them flash the stereo while it was there so I didnt have to return.
Pretty easy install, and it really made a giant difference! I love it. Sounds amazing with my crazy rock music.
Troy

Martin
06-25-2018, 06:34 PM
Just beating a dead horse again - Mopar apparently has the speaker grills available again. I put a standing order in for some and just got a shipping notice that they are on their way - hopefully they're not something mis-numbered like the air intake grills for the Dodge Sprinter or something. Now, I just need to go down to Osh and find some screws that fit with the spring nuts that go on the upper door tweeter speaker mounts.

Anyhow, looks like we "might" be in business again with respect to getting the OEM speaker grills for the upper door speakers.

cashcorn
06-25-2018, 07:25 PM
Received mine last week, grills & speakers. Easy install. Such a big improvement over the 12 speaker. Couldn't be happier. Noticed the rear speakers have no grills.. Is this correct?

Martin
06-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Received mine last week, grills & speakers. Easy install. Such a big improvement over the 12 speaker. Couldn't be happier. Noticed the rear speakers have no grills.. Is this correct?

From what I've heard, you just put the original fabric back over the new speakers. Since they're subs, the fabric won't cause much problem with the sound. I haven't taken mine apart yet, so I don't know for sure, but I "think" there's a cutout already in place that does the job and the fabric just velcros over it.

sadil
06-25-2018, 11:35 PM
I got my speaker grills too! Rest of the speakers coming in soon!

Cpl
06-25-2018, 11:40 PM
Sounds like the speaker upgrade kit are no longer on backorder?

MISSEDSHIFT09
06-26-2018, 07:32 AM
Sounds like the speaker upgrade kit are no longer on backorder?

I ordered the kit Friday and this is the message from the online dodge dealer:

"Thank you for your order. Unfortunately this item is not in stock and is on national back order with Mopar. I do not have an ETA at this time.

Would you like me to process the order, reserve your place in line, and ship when available, or cancel the order?"

I decided to let the order ride and see what happens. Where did you hear they're available again?

ViperJon
06-26-2018, 07:34 AM
Been back ordered for YEARS now.

threatta
06-26-2018, 07:40 AM
Just beating a dead horse again - Mopar apparently has the speaker grills available again. I put a standing order in for some and just got a shipping notice that they are on their way - hopefully they're not something mis-numbered like the air intake grills for the Dodge Sprinter or something. Now, I just need to go down to Osh and find some screws that fit with the spring nuts that go on the upper door tweeter speaker mounts.

Anyhow, looks like we "might" be in business again with respect to getting the OEM speaker grills for the upper door speakers.

Martin, who did you have your order in with?

Martin
06-26-2018, 11:06 AM
Martin, who did you have your order in with?

I ordered through MoparOnlineParts.com. When I first ordered, they sent me the canned email saying that the grills were on backorder and I could cancel, or let them charge my card and be first in line to get them when they become available again. I figured for $70 I may as well just let the order ride. I was totally surprised to get a shipping confirmation yesterday - I figured it would never get shipped.

It's actually less expensive to just order the parts individually than order the upgrade kit. So, I cancelled my order for the kit and got the individual parts - and now that the grills are available, the order is complete. I think the total "out the door" price was about $400 for the whole thing.

PkB2014
06-26-2018, 11:26 AM

Is there a grill specific part number that I missed somewhere in this thread? Maybe OP could add the part number to the first post.

Martin
06-26-2018, 11:30 AM
Is there a grill specific part number that I missed somewhere in this thread? Maybe OP could add the part number to the first post.

Here's what I have:

Shipment Details
Part Number
Part Name
Price
Quantity
Total
68223033AA
Grille-Speaker
$28.19
$28.19

68223032AA
Grille-Speaker
$29.56
$29.56

Subtotal:
$57.75
Shipping (FedEx Ground ):
$17.83
Total:
$75.58

Cpl
06-26-2018, 05:18 PM
I ordered the kit Friday and this is the message from the online dodge dealer:

"Thank you for your order. Unfortunately this item is not in stock and is on national back order with Mopar. I do not have an ETA at this time.

Would you like me to process the order, reserve your place in line, and ship when available, or cancel the order?"

I decided to let the order ride and see what happens. Where did you hear they're available again?

I must have misunderstood. I saw a few posts back that their speakers are coming. Unless they were speakers ordered individually.

sadil
06-26-2018, 05:30 PM
People don’t read....there’s so much information on here about the whole history behind this fiasco. The kit, the grills, the parts, the install....it’s all here.

MISSEDSHIFT09
06-26-2018, 07:47 PM
I must have misunderstood. I saw a few posts back that their speakers are coming. Unless they were speakers ordered individually.

No worries. After seeing this, I got a hold of the dealer and was able to order both speaker grills, two 3.5" door speakers and one 6×9 sub, all in stock and available for immediate ship. Now I'm only lacking one 6x9 sub, so I may have an aftermarket 8" or 10" woofer installed like another member on here did if one doesn't surface soon.

threatta
06-27-2018, 07:51 AM
No worries. After seeing this, I got a hold of the dealer and was able to order both speaker grills, two 3.5" door speakers and one 6×9 sub, all in stock and available for immediate ship. Now I'm only lacking one 6x9 sub, so I may have an aftermarket 8" or 10" woofer installed like another member on here did if one doesn't surface soon.

What dealer had this stuff in stock?

Lost me beer
06-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Moparpart dot com had mine. Took them a bit to get the second one, but both are enroute on a usps truck and supposed to be delivered to me by tomorrow end of day.
Troy

MISSEDSHIFT09
06-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Mopar Online Parts.

MISSEDSHIFT09
06-27-2018, 01:03 PM
I also searched each part number on Ebay and found one of the speaker grills and the door speakers (that appear to have a different mounting bracket) and order these as well as back up. No "shipped" notice yet, so we will see..

Martin
06-27-2018, 01:03 PM
What dealer had this stuff in stock?

When you order, I'd suggest looking up the right part numbers for the screws that you'll need. They appear to be standard screws that you can get at OSH, but if you want to be extra sure and get the true screw that was meant to go into the spring clips, the Mopar screws are the safest route to follow. Same goes for the spring clips, by the way - when you take off the cover and look inside, there is nowhere to attach the screws. You need to slide the spring clips on to provide a threaded surface. You probably already know this, but I figured I'd reiterate just in case. Trying to find screws that fit properly is a bit of a pain, and ordering four screws that cost about $2 but have a $17 shipping fee is painful.

EDIT: I searched through here and found the part numbers that I believe are correct for the spring nuts and screws/washers:

threatta
06-27-2018, 01:24 PM
When you order, I'd suggest looking up the right part numbers for the screws that you'll need. They appear to be standard screws that you can get at OSH, but if you want to be extra sure and get the true screw that was meant to go into the spring clips, the Mopar screws are the safest route to follow. Same goes for the spring clips, by the way - when you take off the cover and look inside, there is nowhere to attach the screws. You need to slide the spring clips on to provide a threaded surface. You probably already know this, but I figured I'd reiterate just in case. Trying to find screws that fit properly is a bit of a pain, and ordering four screws that cost about $2 but have a $17 shipping fee is painful.

EDIT: I searched through here and found the part numbers that I believe are correct for the spring nuts and screws/washers:

Thanks, Martin. I saw your other post on the topic. Lots of good information out there from you on this item. :)

Lost me beer
06-28-2018, 05:49 PM
They do exist! They do exist! Hahaha
Now to install them tomorrow...
Troy

sharmut
06-29-2018, 03:00 AM
^ congrats. Place my order for 2 door speakers and grilles yesterday.

ViperJon
06-29-2018, 05:38 AM
It's amazing that the part number has finally surfaced. Believe me when I was sourcing mine it didn't. And I asked Mark J at Woodhouse, Jon B at Parts Rack you name it and NO one could find it. That's the missing link to enjoying 18 speaker sound!

Lost me beer
06-29-2018, 03:55 PM
It's amazing that the part number has finally surfaced. Believe me when I was sourcing mine it didn't. And I asked Mark J at Woodhouse, Jon B at Parts Rack you name it and NO one could find it. That's the missing link to enjoying 18 speaker sound!

No kidding! Sounds nothing like the wife's MB, but def worth the $500 or so.
Finally got her all back together. Thanks for all the help and patience!
Btw, the pic looks like there is something inside, just glare as it is perfect. As a side note, I bought 2 new speaker boxes to cover the 2 new 6x9s behind the seats. Turns out my orig 2 had none and I left them alone. Not sure of build date, but it is a 2016 GT.
Troy

ViperGeorge
06-30-2018, 07:38 AM
No kidding! Sounds nothing like the wife's MB, but def worth the $500 or so.
Finally got her all back together. Thanks for all the help and patience!
Btw, the pic looks like there is something inside, just glare as it is perfect. As a side note, I bought 2 new speaker boxes to cover the 2 new 6x9s behind the seats. Turns out my orig 2 had none and I left them alone. Not sure of build date, but it is a 2016 GT.
Troy

Not sure why FCA can install a stereo that sounds kick ass. My daughters BMW X5 has an incredible stereo puts the Viper or our Grand Cherokee to shame. For the price they charged for the 18 speaker system they could have done a better job. Mind you the 18 speaker setup is the best you could get in a Viper but still....

Martin
07-01-2018, 01:11 PM
They do exist! They do exist! Hahaha
Now to install them tomorrow...
Troy

Got mine yesterday - they look like they'll fit perfectly. I'm going to do the install sometime this week. Did the stock plates pop out easily, or is a special tool required? Normally for seemingly simple things like this, I'll use a flat-head screwdriver with electrical tape wrapped around the end to prevent marring anything. I've run into situations where a special plastic trim tool is needed - if that's the case I'll run down to the parts store because I can't find the one that I used to have... In looking at the grills, there doesn't seem to be anything special holding them in, so it appears the existing plates should just slide out without any catches on the tabs.

ViperJon
07-01-2018, 01:34 PM
Got mine yesterday - they look like they'll fit perfectly. I'm going to do the install sometime this week. Did the stock plates pop out easily, or is a special tool required? Normally for seemingly simple things like this, I'll use a flat-head screwdriver with electrical tape wrapped around the end to prevent marring anything. I've run into situations where a special plastic trim tool is needed - if that's the case I'll run down to the parts store because I can't find the one that I used to have... In looking at the grills, there doesn't seem to be anything special holding them in, so it appears the existing plates should just slide out without any catches on the tabs.

NOOOOO. The blanks do not pop out. The blanks cannot be removed without taking the door off. They are held on by three flanges on the plate but when the plate is inserted the flanges are bent over so the plate cannot come out. To get the existing blank out those flanges on the blank have to be straightened out with pliers to remove. Buy a trim removal tool from Harbor Freight or online you will need it to take the doors off and not mar them or any trim.

Martin
07-01-2018, 02:15 PM
NOOOOO. The blanks do not pop out. The blanks cannot be removed without taking the door off. They are held on by three flanges on the plate but when the plate is inserted the flanges are bent over so the plate cannot come out. To get the existing blank out those flanges on the blank have to be straightened out with pliers to remove. Buy a trim removal tool from Harbor Freight or online you will need it to take the doors off and not mar them or any trim.

Thanks for that info - that's really good to know. I might wait to install those at the same time I replace the plastic window bosses with the DSE ones I have sitting on my desk. Bummer that the plate is so hard to remove - it looks easy, but I'm glad I asked before I went and broke something.

SRT BILL
07-01-2018, 03:25 PM

I believe you mean the door panels must come off??

ViperJon
07-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Door panels is correct.

Martin
07-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Or door cards if you're British

threatta
07-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Has anyone experienced backorder on the speakers? I've gotten 05035290AC (3.5" speakers) and 05035253AB (6x9 Subs) are both on national backorder. Of course the Upper Door speaker grilles are as well but that was to be expected.

Special Ed
07-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Slowly but surely getting my 18 speaker system parts together. I had the front speakers for a month and a half and just got notified, MoparParts.com that the front speaker grills shipped today. Get the subwoffers and should be good to go.

ViperJon
07-02-2018, 01:59 PM
By the way....unlike any of the other added in speakers the upper door speakers will work without having the dealer reprogram the radio. Just a weird quirk.

MISSEDSHIFT09
07-02-2018, 02:08 PM
One of the grills has been listed on ebay for a while.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263769697463

I ordered one last week and it's scheduled to arrive in the mail today.

Here are your door speakers..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-CHRYSLER-OEM-15-16-Viper-Stereo-Audio-Radio-Dash-Speaker-5035290AC/273107932680?epid=19001964198&hash=item3f96805608:g:4NgAAOSwVpla108H

threatta
07-02-2018, 02:34 PM
One of the grills has been listed on ebay for a while.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263769697463

I ordered one last week and it's scheduled to arrive in the mail today.

Here are your door speakers..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-CHRYSLER-OEM-15-16-Viper-Stereo-Audio-Radio-Dash-Speaker-5035290AC/273107932680?epid=19001964198&hash=item3f96805608:g:4NgAAOSwVpla108H

MISSEDSHIFT09, thanks. I saw those two on EBAY. Unfortunately, the speakers only had a quantity of 1 and the grille is on for 1 door. I suppose I could grab what I can as it comes available but was really hoping to try to get everything (with perhaps the exception of the grilles) all at once.

MISSEDSHIFT09
07-02-2018, 02:46 PM
MISSEDSHIFT09, thanks. I saw those two on EBAY. Unfortunately, the speakers only had a quantity of 1 and the grille is on for 1 door. I suppose I could grab what I can as it comes available but was really hoping to try to get everything (with perhaps the exception of the grilles) all at once.

I've been taking advantage and purchasing as individual parts become available. I ordered the extra grill and 2 extra door speakers from Ebay just in case. As soon as I complete my upgrade, I'll list any extras I have.

Does anyone know why the 6x9 subs part #05035253AB are listed as door speakers on the Mopar site?

SRT BILL
07-02-2018, 03:50 PM
I've been taking advantage and purchasing as individual parts become available. I ordered the extra grill and 2 extra door speakers from Ebay just in case. As soon as I complete my upgrade, I'll list any extras I have.

Does anyone know why the 6x9 subs part #05035253AB are listed as door speakers on the Mopar site?

This^^^

threatta
07-02-2018, 04:11 PM

Ah ok. Makes sense. Will probably have to go that route myself. Was a bit hesitant to start given that most of the speakers are on backorder.

darbgnik
07-04-2018, 06:54 PM

Probably because in most Dodge vehicles like Rams and 300, the front door speakers are 6x9's?

USAFPILOT
07-29-2018, 06:02 PM
I’m looking to get started with this upgrade, as I just purchased a 2015 Viper GT. I know it doesn’t have the 18 speaker stereo, but I’m not sure what it has. Did all GT models get the 12 speaker stereo or could I have the 9 speaker version? Also, I see a kit available at “The Viper Store”. Is that what I should buy?

serpent
07-29-2018, 08:05 PM
I’m looking to get started with this upgrade, as I just purchased a 2015 Viper GT. I know it doesn’t have the 18 speaker stereo, but I’m not sure what it has. Did all GT models get the 12 speaker stereo or could I have the 9 speaker version? Also, I see a kit available at “The Viper Store”. Is that what I should buy?
Theres a way you can look up the vin of your car and pull up the mfg sticker.

USAFPILOT
07-30-2018, 08:59 AM
The window sticker says it has Harmon Kardon High performance audio, 900 watt amplifier - under the interior feature of standard equipment. No additional stereo option. I have the blanks on the upper door section, so I know it’s not the full system.33645

Voice of Reason
07-30-2018, 09:39 AM
Usafpilot based on your window sticker you have the 12 speaker setup. The easiest visual way to tell inside the car is only the 18 speaker setup has the tweeters by the door unlock handle.

USAFPILOT
07-30-2018, 09:51 AM
Yeah I don’t have those, Inguess my question is when buying the kit it states that it is everything needed to go from 9-18, but if I have the 12 I guess I’ll be getting some extra stuff? I guess replacement parts are ok to have around.

Lost me beer
07-30-2018, 10:07 AM
That kit has been backordered for a very long time. Recently they released a few more, so jump quick. I did this (as many others did) by ordering each piece individually. Diff parts were hard to come by for long periods of time...grills, speakers, etc. as of right now I believe each part as well as the kit is avail in limity qty. I would contact a dealer and make sure they have the kit avail, or each piece. There are plenty of posts that explain each part number. Remember that u must have a dealer unlock the radio to add also, which only cost about $100.
Big diff but not as good as a lot of cars. Worth the 5-600 for sure and a fairly easy install.
Troy

Wagnut ACR
08-01-2018, 08:38 PM
I've got one kit available if anyone is interested. Should have another kit next week. PM to discuss. Thanks.

Special Ed
08-02-2018, 08:41 AM
To go from 12 to 18 you add three speakers. Somehow three equal six. You don't have twelve individual speakers in you current system. Audio people apparently count different than the rest of us.

AZTVR
08-02-2018, 09:01 AM
To go from 12 to 18 you add three speakers. Somehow three equal six. You don't have twelve individual speakers in you current system. Audio people apparently count different than the rest of us. Yes, they count each speaker driver individually, whether the manufacturer decided to mount them on the same frame, or different frames or in the same enclosure or different enclosures. That way, the audiophile knows how many individual sound sources and types that they are buying. Not that the average consumer cares or would even know what a tweeter or woofer is.

dirtyboot
08-02-2018, 09:49 AM
That way, the audiophile knows how many individual sound sources and types that they are buying. Not that the average consumer cares or would even know what a tweeter or woofer is.

I'm no audiowhatchamuhcallit, but I care enough to know that if my speakers tweet or woof there's some voodoo witchcraft going on and I'll burn the car to the ground before I let them steal my soul!:lol2:

2doorrocket
08-27-2018, 02:14 PM
Bump. Clearly people can't find this post.

threatta
08-27-2018, 02:24 PM
Got most of my parts for this with the rest coming tomorrow. The unobtanium stuff (upper door grilles and 6x9 speakers) seem to be coming in stock more now.

Martin
08-27-2018, 02:32 PM
As far as I can see, even some of the REALLY unobtainium stuff is showing up here and there. I had a few orders for the whole upgrade kit sitting in various dealer systems, and over the past month or so I've gotten a few emails asking if I still wanted them. So, they are out there.

One suggestion - definitely go the extra mile and get the plastic buckets that fit behind the woofers. I'm really amazed that Dodge stopped installing those. There may have been a good reason (possibly holding moisture inside) but I can't imagine why they're not installed at the factory after around the '15 year. From what I can see, a mouse or small rat could chew its way through the speaker if it really wanted to and get into the car. Or, if you wash the underside of the car it looks like the speakers are perfectly placed to get soaked.

dirtyboot
08-27-2018, 02:50 PM
If it was because of holding moisture, drill a couple drain holes in the bottom and top of them to allow them to breathe. Still eases the concern of wash blasting them, or varmint entry.

ViperTony
08-27-2018, 05:19 PM
My door speakers arrived yesterday, ordered them in early July, FWIW.

USAFPILOT
08-27-2018, 07:50 PM
I have all the parts except he buckets, where to get the buckets? Anyone have them?

threatta
08-28-2018, 06:53 AM
I got mine at moparonlineparts.com and they were in stock.

SRT BILL
08-28-2018, 08:35 AM
I got mine at moparonlineparts.com and they were in stock.

Nice, do you have the part #'s for the buckets?

pj96ss
08-28-2018, 08:41 AM
05035339AA is for the buckets.

I just received everything including the door grills to go from the 3 - 18 setup. I ordered everything from moparonlineparts as well. I can't wait to get everything installed.

USAFPILOT
08-28-2018, 09:46 AM
DO yall think my 2015 GT has buckets on the speakers that are installed from the factory? or is there a strong chance they are not there?

Lost me beer
08-28-2018, 10:48 AM
My 16 GT did not have them. I ordered 2 of them online guessing the ones already installed had them. They didn't. So, I now have 2 exposed and 2 with buckets. Figured if Dodge didn't think they were needed, I shouldn't.
Troy

USAFPILOT
08-28-2018, 11:06 AM
I kinda wonder if you get more BASS from the 6x9's if the buckets are installed. Are they heavy? just plastic? do they need a seal? I went ahead and ordered 4 of the buckets and will do the original 2 also.

Martin
08-28-2018, 12:07 PM
I kinda wonder if you get more BASS from the 6x9's if the buckets are installed. Are they heavy? just plastic? do they need a seal? I went ahead and ordered 4 of the buckets and will do the original 2 also.

I'm assuming the buckets change the frequency response somewhat - there's got to be a difference between a completely empty back-side of the speakers and one that's sealed. That said, I have no idea if these will make the speakers sound better or worse. It's been a long time since I've designed speaker enclosures, and I don't know what the frequency response is on these particular units.

My guess is that Dodge stopped installing them because they were either a pain to install, they were expensive, or they just ran out of them. I think Harmon Kardon's spec sheets called out for them, so I figure it can't hurt to install them (other than the fact that they're over $50 each).

The main reason I'm installing them is to keep water and critters from destroying the speakers. They're light as a feather, and don't require any extra seal. They also appear to just bolt right up to the stock screw holes.

ViperJon
08-28-2018, 01:04 PM
The buckets are pricey but without them the speakers are just hanging there exposed to the elements, it's crazy why they stopped doing it on such an overall minuscule cost to them. There is a photo on one of the speaker threads of the car on the assembly line with them exposed. Do it right and use them. They bolt right in with the speaker on top, simple.

SRT BILL
08-28-2018, 01:48 PM
05035339AA is for the buckets.

I just received everything including the door grills to go from the 3 - 18 setup. I ordered everything from moparonlineparts as well. I can't wait to get everything installed.

Thanks for the info.

threatta
08-31-2018, 11:06 AM
Starting the upgrade. Already feeling stupid. Anyone can describe exactly where the audio jumper I need to change is? Looking “right of the steering column” but don’t see anything.

threatta
08-31-2018, 11:19 AM
Never mind. I found it. Back up under the shelf area.

bassplayrr
08-31-2018, 03:51 PM
Unfortunately, I’m as lost as you were. Got a pic of where to find it? Must a panel be removed first?

Well, I found a pic here:
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/11648-2016-acr-do-not-plug-in-the-amp!

I was under the impression initially that everyone upgrading to 18 speakers had to complete this step. However the link above implies that it’s only for 3-speaker setups (to rout power from the head unit rather than the amp in the back. Since I already have the amp (12 speaker setup), it seems this step isn’t necessary, no? I did locate that section of the loom under the steering colum and I see no such jumper/plug to change.

threatta
08-31-2018, 05:59 PM
It is just above the lip of the panel underneath the steering column in the foot well. You can’t see it directly. I had to take a “selfie” to see it clearly. It was tricky to change blindfolded but I didn’t have to remove any panels.

I think you only need to change it coming from a 3 speaker setup.

threatta
08-31-2018, 06:01 PM
For those going from 3 speakers to 18, after you completed the install, did you get no sound until you had it reprogrammed at the dealer? I don’t have any feedback and switch the jumper but not getting any sound right now. I’m figuring I just need the dealer program thing to make it work.

ViperJon
08-31-2018, 06:22 PM
For those going from 3 speakers to 18, after you completed the install, did you get no sound until you had it reprogrammed at the dealer? I don’t have any feedback and switch the jumper but not getting any sound right now. I’m figuring I just need the dealer program thing to make it work.

Yes the dealer reprogramming the sales code in the computer should fire them all up.

bassplayrr
08-31-2018, 08:11 PM
It is just above the lip of the panel underneath the steering column in the foot well. You can’t see it directly. I had to take a “selfie” to see it clearly. It was tricky to change blindfolded but I didn’t have to remove any panels.

I think you only need to change it coming from a

Thanks dude, greatly appreciated!

Lost me beer
08-31-2018, 09:56 PM
Unfortunately, I’m as lost as you were. Got a pic of where to find it? Must a panel be removed first?

Well, I found a pic here:
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/11648-2016-acr-do-not-plug-in-the-amp!

I was under the impression initially that everyone upgrading to 18 speakers had to complete this step. However the link above implies that it’s only for 3-speaker setups (to rout power from the head unit rather than the amp in the back. Since I already have the amp (12 speaker setup), it seems this step isn’t necessary, no? I did locate that section of the loom under the steering colum and I see no such jumper/plug to change.

U r correct, going from 12-18 no jumper required. Just install all parts and have dealer flash it.
Troy

threatta
10-01-2018, 07:18 PM
I finally got my programming done at VE last weekend (had the speakers installed for a couple of weeks). Oh man this is a huge upgrade. Soooo worth it!

Rf5000
10-15-2018, 10:46 PM
I’m interested in doing this upgrade. I have a 2013 SRT. On my window stickers it just says “(7) SRT speakers”, under Entertainment. Which system would I have?

ForTehNguyen
10-16-2018, 06:57 AM
this is one of hte main reasons I went for a GTS because they pretty much came with the 18 speaker audio system. Considering how much time one spends in a car per day the audio system there has to be good, better than the house even. I have a full custom audio system in my mustang also

darbgnik
10-16-2018, 07:54 PM
I’m interested in doing this upgrade. I have a 2013 SRT. On my window stickers it just says “(7) SRT speakers”, under Entertainment. Which system would I have?

My car came with the 12 speaker(IIRC?) stereo. I bought the packaged speaker upgrade kit, which was actually designed for your car, so I ended up with a center speaker, and a couple 6x9's left over. Your car needs all the speakers in the kit. Seems like they may be available again, or at least all the pieces including the elusive door grills are again, separate?

USAFPILOT
10-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Had my GT upgraded to the 18spkr stereo at Viper Exchange today. Morgan did a tremendous job. Once completed, I had some major buzzing sounds and it turned out to be the front track of the window, I think he called it the window flag. After removing it, greasing the backside of the rubber that sits in the metal track, and replacing it, the stereo sounds fantastic! Plus as a bonus, the little bit of wind noise I had on that side is now gone!

If you have the 12 don’t system as was in my GT, adding the two additional 6x9’s and door tweeter makes a huge difference!

Of note my 2015 GT left the factory without any speaker enclosures behind the 6x9’s, so I had purchased all 4 of those and had them installed as well. I think it was worth the added expense and effort.

Sorry no pics...but if you stop by Viper Exchange anytime soon, they have a 720S and a GT2RS in there, among so much other cool stuff!

Wagnut ACR
11-26-2018, 07:54 PM
There's a kit currently available on ebay. $484.03
I bought a kit from this vendor before without issue. I contacted them and they said they had just the one in stock.
I've already done the upgrade. Hopefully someone here who wants one can get it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mopar-Audio-Kit-Speaker-82213535AB/123507257406?epid=2099690622&hash=item1cc19b303e:g:lgoAAOSwZtRb-Cr5

USAFPILOT
11-26-2018, 10:27 PM
I got mine from the viper store, I think they have quite a few kits. I got the buckets from Mopar.

AZTVR
11-27-2018, 12:12 AM
There's a kit currently available on ebay. $484.03
I bought a kit from this vendor before without issue. I contacted them and they said they had just the one in stock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mopar-Audio-Kit-Speaker-82213535AB/123507257406?epid=2099690622&hash=item1cc19b303e:g:lgoAAOSwZtRb-Cr5

Unusual name for a Chrysler Jeep dealership parts department's eBay storefront.