PDA

View Full Version : First time track needs and wants

dmann
01-07-2016, 09:32 AM
I'm finally going to start tracking this year. I hope to do at least a couple events this year in my area. I want to hit Road Atlanta and Barbers. A friend suggested that I get the Iracing simulator to get a feel for line choice and getting a feel for the track before getting there. So, I did start using this simulator and think it should definitely help in those regards. What are your thoughts on this tool?

I have so much to learn and purchase in startup.
The things I need and some i want are helmet, OBD II and software to show speed/RPM/gear, and some type of shoes for heal and toe. Maybe some gloves but not sure if it's needed to start with. I am informed that getting a racing seat/harness is really important because it will allow me focus on the track versus trying to hold myself in place. On the helmet, i was originally thinking a full face but am kinda leaning toward an open face now. What are your thoughts and preferences on this?

I need to work on heal and toe, bad! I do wonder if its possible to get the rev match system that's that I'm seeing on other cars. I know shoes that allow me to feel the pedals are a must because I can't really feel the pedals when wearing normal shoes.

Car wise, I'm driving an 03 and was thinking that maybe changing the coolant to something like engine ice type product would help keep the temps down.

So, I just wanted to get this started because my first event will more than likely be this spring.
Any suggestions and tips?

Thanks,
-David

ACR Steve
01-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Baby steps.......... go out and drive stock for a while then make changes.

Josrocket
01-07-2016, 10:15 AM
You dont need to do anything special with the cooling system starting out. Just make sure its not old coolant. Get a closed face SA2010-2015 helmet so your safe and covered for any track you go to. Im sure your gonna do HPDEs or open track days right now. Are you planning on racing eventually?

fuggles
01-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Driving simulators definitely help. I use forza4 on xbox360. It doesn't have any of the US club tracks. iRacing has a few. The simulator gives a good idea of the line, brake points, and gears. Forza4 has a gen 4 viper which is aweome for gearing.

I would not use an open face helmet. I suppose it would be more comfortable, less heat, but when you need the helmet it could get ugly. I always use closed face helmets. 100F at thunderhill was not an issue.

Definitely get a thin soled shoe. If you don't want to jump into an expensive driving shoe, get a wrestler shoe. Asic makes a good cheap one.

Gloves are generally not required where I run, but I wear them anyway. A thin one, not leather.

dmann
01-07-2016, 12:47 PM
You dont need to do anything special with the cooling system starting out. Just make sure its not old coolant. Get a closed face SA2010-2015 helmet so your safe and covered for any track you go to. Im sure your gonna do HPDEs or open track days right now. Are you planning on racing eventually?

This year will just be open track days. I want to master Heel and toe first and become as safe as I can. I am migrating from another motosport and feel this will carry me on into my 60s. We'll see after that.

dmann
01-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Driving simulators definitely help. I use forza4 on xbox360. It doesn't have any of the US club tracks. iRacing has a few. The simulator gives a good idea of the line, brake points, and gears. Forza4 has a gen 4 viper which is aweome for gearing.

I would not use an open face helmet. I suppose it would be more comfortable, less heat, but when you need the helmet it could get ugly. I always use closed face helmets. 100F at thunderhill was not an issue.

Definitely get a thin soled shoe. If you don't want to jump into an expensive driving shoe, get a wrestler shoe. Asic makes a good cheap one.

Gloves are generally not required where I run, but I wear them anyway. A thin one, not leather.

I appreciate the feedback. The helmet and shoes are on my to get list. Seems the full face helmet is more universal.