PDA

View Full Version : Viper GTS 1996 - Advices and broken clutch/cylinder?

ThomasA
01-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Hi guys!

Im this danish guy who bought a Dodge Viper GTS from 1996 and i really dont know much about this car so i hope you can help me :-)
Short story; played GTA(Grand Theft Auto) when i was younger, wanted this car, now i have it, its nice.

With danish tax it cost around 200.000$ second hand and 4-600.000$ from new, so i would really like to take good care of this car.
If i drive this car daily theres no problem at all, but at -5 celsius, its pretty difficult and if i leave it in the garage for some days my clutch gets all sloppy(?).
If i refill some brake fluid into the clutch bottle(?) it comes back to normal after some time, but i think that either my clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder has to be changed? Correct me if im wrong.
Could this be the problem? Do you guys know anyone near southern Denmark who could help me?
There has been some modification to the engine and on my danish registration paper it says 831HP, which isnt standard.

Any help and advices is appriciated.
My english sucks, sorry.

Kind Regards
Thomas

- - - Updated - - -

If i posted this wrong, im sorry and you're welcome to replace it.

LifeIsGood
01-04-2016, 01:42 PM
This is what mine looked like underneath when the slave went bad...leak...

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/kenandkristine/Viper/Viper%20Club%20DIY/Clutch/2001%20RT-10%20Slave%20Cylinder%20Gone%20Bad%20-%20Leak.jpg

Vprbite
01-04-2016, 01:59 PM
831 HP is almost double what it came with. Is it supercharged or turbo'd? Cause that is ,on steroids HP.

My biggest concern at those temperatures would be the tires are not usually supposed to go below freezing. They become very, very hard. Hard tires on a Viper is bad. That's a recipe for disaster. Ask some of the UK guys what they do in the winter. They may have some tips for you in the cold weather.

Congratulations on your car. Drive safely.

gage
01-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Are you doing a full clutch bleed and flush, or just topping up the reservoir? I would recommend a full bleed first. I don't remember if water sinks in brake fluid when left to sit, but if that's true it would help to explain your situation. I have had both a slave and master cyl go bad and in both cases the car would drive fine *at first* and then get worse, which is the inverse of what you describe. Still, if a full fluid flush doesn't do the trick then I'd investigate the master and slave.

ThomasA
01-05-2016, 02:58 AM
Hi guys!
Thanks for the replies!

Is it possible to change yourself? Can you give me a link for how to change both cylinders?

Fatboy 18
01-05-2016, 05:31 AM
To change the Clutch Slave cylinder you need to remove the Gearbox.

Ist Job after jacking the car up (or lifting it on a ramp) is to remove the Transmission cover plate.

Net Job is to remove the driveshaft You need to undo the straps that hold the drive shaft to the rear Diff UJ.
Note the straps and bolts should be discarded and NOT used again as these stretch when tightened. You will need to order replacement ones.

If you pull the driveshaft Yoke out of the rear of the gearbox you will Get Covered in Oil so best empty Gearbox first or Keep Driveshaft in Gearbox.

The Gearbox weighs 135Lb!

Have a read here and see the photos.... Not a 5 min Job and a spare pair of hands is highly recommended when replacing the gearbox!

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/311-Gearbox-removal-amp-rear-crank-seal-replacement-(including-pilot-bearing)-on-a-96-GTS