PDA

View Full Version : New Viper owner - Looking for a mechanic in WA

ViperVass
12-31-2015, 02:47 PM
Hello, I recently bought a 97 GTS, with a super charger installed. Love it! But didn't think about maintenance thoroughly... oops :)

I have not worked on cars before and also do not have tools or space to work on my Viper.
I'm hoping to find a mechanic who would be able to help understand and maybe fix a few things.

Exhaust leakage into cabin - while stationary at idle.
A boost gauge is installed but never shows boost, when on throttle it reads 0 psi (otherwise -20). Should be running 5lbs of boost.
Passenger side window does not roll down - moves slightly down then sticks.
Car hard starts - even though it has a roe racing fuel pump (would assume the check valve was replaced)
The recall has not been done.
And of course oil changes - for both the car and the super charger.

Interested in references for all or any individual problems.
If all else fails, I'm planning to take it to the dodge dealership in Seattle or Carb connection, but would like to learn about the car more.

daytonprowler
01-23-2016, 03:38 PM
Contact VOA sponsor Jon Brobst at:

partsrack@aol.com

Double0fox
01-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Just a FYI Carb connection did a hack job on another local Viper, and I have heard nothing really good from other (non-Vipers owners) either. Is yours the one that was for sale with the "Oreca upgrades"?

ViperVass
01-24-2016, 12:41 AM
Contact VOA sponsor Jon Brobst at:

partsrack@aol.com

Thanks, emailed. Will see how this goes!

Just a FYI Carb connection did a hack job on another local Viper, and I have heard nothing really good from other (non-Vipers owners) either. Is yours the one that was for sale with the "Oreca upgrades"?

No Oreca upgrades on mine.
The reason I am reluctant to go to carb connection is because I read people (here) were not happy with Alex. This is why I'm looking for other references.

Double0fox
01-24-2016, 11:56 AM
-This would be pretty easy to hunt down if you know someone that has stands/lift. Taking the side sill off in a 5 min job. The rest of the exhaust connections are easy to get too/see.

A boost gauge is installed but never shows boost, when on throttle it reads 0 psi (otherwise -20). Should be running 5lbs of boost.
-This also pretty easy to check. I have a vacume bleeder, and I would test the gauge, and check where the line is hooked up first.

-Sounds like the "shuttle" in the door is bad, but I have never had it happen to me, so I can be for sure. Would need to remove door panel, and have a look.

Car hard starts - even though it has a roe racing fuel pump (would assume the check valve was replaced)
-This one will probably be the toughest to hunt down, especially for someone with no Viper experience.

-Second toughest. Mine was already done (correctly), but I have seen pics of it being done incorrectly.

And of course oil changes - for both the car and the super charger.
-Easy, do the fluids for the car while it is in the air getting the exhaust looked at, and I would contact Roe to see what oil, and how much is recommend for the supercharger.

Again, I know you said you didn't have tools, or a place to work, but if you know someone that does you will save a ton of money on quite a few of those.
Where are you located in WA?

ViperVass
01-26-2016, 08:39 PM
-This would be pretty easy to hunt down if you know someone that has stands/lift. Taking the side sill off is a 5 min job. The rest of the exhaust connections are easy to get too/see.

Hopefully it is that easy and no welding is required, but it definitely would be nice to know why/how this happens (and why only while stationary), before going to a repair shop.
Now only to find that person that has a lift :)

-This also pretty easy to check. I have a vacuume bleeder, and I would test the gauge, and check where the line is hooked up first.

I really hope this is just me, not pushing the car hard enough..

-Sounds like the "shuttle" in the door is bad, but I have never had it happen to me, so I can be for sure. Would need to remove door panel, and have a look.

After reading the service manual, this might be something I can fix myself. However again, I would need a garage with tools.

-This one will probably be the toughest to hunt down, especially for someone with no Viper experience.

It's not the end of the world, but aside from feeling ashamed ;) I am worried that one day it just won't start anymore. (I'm already priming the pump 3x, before trying to crank)
The engine will whimper out at least one time before it starts and runs.

-Second toughest. Mine was already done (correctly), but I have seen pics of it being done incorrectly.

I wonder if the recall might be unnecessary, as long as I don't track the car.

Where are you located in WA?
I'm located in Seattle.

Double0fox
01-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Yes, I do believe tracking beat them up more. Let me know if you would like some help, or if you make it to Tacoma, and want to go for a cruise sometime. Also I think it is mandatory you posts pics of said Viper ;-)

ViperVass
01-27-2016, 12:09 AM
Yes, I do believe tracking beat them up more. Let me know if you would like some help, or if you make it to Tacoma, and want to go for a cruise sometime. Also I think it is mandatory you posts pics of said Viper ;-)

Can't resist an invitation to post a picture.
If you have a garage and time, I could definitely use some help.
I'm always up for some driving. Send me a PM if you want to meet up.

Here is the money pit:

RTTTTed
01-27-2016, 02:35 AM
Go to a club meeting. Cam probably still does Viper work. Clint has a couple Viper and sometimes helps out members when he has time. John Vittone has 3 Viper and does his own work.

ViperVass
02-07-2016, 03:11 PM
Go to a club meeting. Cam probably still does Viper work. Clint has a couple Viper and sometimes helps out members when he has time. John Vittone has 3 Viper and does his own work.

Where can I find the meeting schedule? Do I need to become a VOA member first?

MH60M
02-17-2016, 10:52 AM
There is a club page but it's still showing 2015 events. I'm sure it'll be updated soon for 2016. I'm excited for the Auto-x, my car will finally be up and running. Maybe I can make it to some events this year.

http://nwviperassociation.com

SEASnake
02-17-2016, 08:56 PM
Where can I find the meeting schedule? Do I need to become a VOA member first?

I just posted info for our planning meeting coming up on the 28th. Hope you can make it!!

There is a club page but it's still showing 2015 events. I'm sure it'll be updated soon for 2016. I'm excited for the Auto-x, my car will finally be up and running. Maybe I can make it to some events this year.

That's the Oregon club page. Ours is waviperclub.org (http://waviperclub.org/) (and is out of date as well) ;)

MH60M
02-17-2016, 10:02 PM
Haha. I googled PNW Viper club. I knew it didn't look right for some reason. :hog:

ViperVass
02-18-2016, 10:03 PM

-- February 28 Karting at PGP and 2016 Planning Meeting
That is so funny I suggested to Double0Fox we go to PGP karts to get to know each other. Sounds like I'm bringing my Viper on the 28th. :)
PGP also has a three hour endurance race that day, but that starts at 8am.

Double0fox
02-18-2016, 10:22 PM
-- February 28 Karting at PGP and 2016 Planning Meeting
That is so funny I suggested to Double0Fox we go to PGP karts to get to know each other. Sounds like I'm bringing my Viper on the 28th. :)
PGP also has a three hour endurance race that day, but that starts at 8am.

I should be there to. I guess we are going karting sooner than I thought haha.