PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on buying a Generation 3-4 Viper

LACOUNTRYHICK
12-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Hi all! I have been contemplating buying a Viper for some time now. I have owned several Corvettes (C5 and a C6) but have always liked the Viper. I have a few questions hopefully you can help me out with.

First, I drove a Generation 1-2 and really didn't care for it. Not to offend anyone but it really didn't handle well. It did however have explosive speed in a straight line. This made me pretty much settle on buying a generation 3-4. Did I give the first generations a fair shot or is anything I missed? Is the the 3-4 generations that much more refined and will I be happier with that rather than the first two?

Second, I have a financing question for those who didn't pay for their Vipers outright. Did you have trouble financing a vehicle that old or is there certain finance companies that are easier to work with for these older super cars?

Thanks for the advice!

Kainedogg
12-27-2015, 04:13 PM
Welcome bro. New here myself. I have an '08 and my friend has a '97 and an '03 so I have an idea of the pros and cons for those generations. Gen 2's are great cars but not as refined as the Gen 3...for the simple reason that it is older so cars should improve with time. The Gen 3 and Gen 4 are similar but the '08's+ have a larger motor, more hp and a few improvements.

USAA financed me with no problem, so if your credit defines your options. I also financed a '72 Chevelle so age is not the issue.

1ststrike
12-27-2015, 05:25 PM
One big benefit going with a Gen 3 or 4 compared to a 1 or 2 is the brakes. Much better brakes on the Gen 3 and 4. If you track the Gen 3 you will need to put a swing oil pickup in it. The Gen 4 comes with one.

CarolinaViper
12-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Hi all! I have been contemplating buying a Viper for some time now. I have owned several Corvettes (C5 and a C6) but have always liked the Viper. I have a few questions hopefully you can help me out with.

First, I drove a Generation 1-2 and really didn't care for it. Not to offend anyone but it really didn't handle well. It did however have explosive speed in a straight line. This made me pretty much settle on buying a generation 3-4. Did I give the first generations a fair shot or is anything I missed? Is the the 3-4 generations that much more refined and will I be happier with that rather than the first two?

Second, I have a financing question for those who didn't pay for their Vipers outright. Did you have trouble financing a vehicle that old or is there certain finance companies that are easier to work with for these older super cars?

Thanks for the advice!

Gen III 500 HP

Gen IV 600 HP

No need for any more information.

Viper vince
12-27-2015, 07:35 PM
I had a Gen3 it was a good car except for the heat issue if you get a Gen 3 you need to get rid of the cross pipe on the exhaust. I then drove a Gen 4 and a night and day difference . Everything wrong with the Gen3 they got right with the Gen4 a better Trans and rear end. They have had some issues with the rear ends on the Gen 3 I now have a Gen 4

drewsss
12-27-2015, 07:57 PM
OP - you have two threads going on at the same time for the same subject. You may want to eliminate one.

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/11855-HELP!-Near-Future-Viper-Buyer-Needs-Some-Information?p=187911#post187911

Vprbite
12-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Drewswsss makes a good point, even if he has a yellow car. It will make it easier for people to answer you question if you ask in only one place. Also, here you are in the gen III/IV section, so people are less likely to argue the virtues of a gen II.

I would ask a mod to combine this thread with the one in new owners, that way all the info will be in the same place.

A2008
12-27-2015, 10:11 PM
Checkout a club sponsor. Milford Bank in Oho. They specialize in financing Vipers.

Next Phase
12-27-2015, 10:19 PM
I'm confused, I've owned a C4, C5 and a C6...have trackedd a gen II on the track. Please explain what you mean by "not handle well".

So you are opting for a Gen 3 or 4 based on the Gen 1/ 2 not handling well? Have you driven a Gen 3 or 4 yet?

Each generation gets more refined, so if you are looking for a car that drives more like a Corvette....buy the newest one you can afford. Some prefer a raw driving experience, which is what is the draw for the older cars.

Gen 2 GTS is hard to beat in the looks department (to some) and each generation IMHO keeps improving and getting better. However, there are die hard fans of each generation.

I'll caution you now, once you get a Viper and join the VOA, a Corvette won't do anything for you moving forward.

LACOUNTRYHICK
12-27-2015, 10:40 PM
Drewswsss makes a good point, even if he has a yellow car. It will make it easier for people to answer you question if you ask in only one place. Also, here you are in the gen III/IV section, so people are less likely to argue the virtues of a gen II.

I would ask a mod to combine this thread with the one in new owners, that way all the info will be in the same place.

Good point! If a mod is watching feel free to combine the two. Thanks!

LACOUNTRYHICK
12-27-2015, 10:43 PM
I'm confused, I've owned a C4, C5 and a C6...have trackedd a gen II on the track. Please explain what you mean by "not handle well".

So you are opting for a Gen 3 or 4 based on the Gen 1/ 2 not handling well? Have you driven a Gen 3 or 4 yet?

Each generation gets more refined, so if you are looking for a car that drives more like a Corvette....buy the newest one you can afford. Some prefer a raw driving experience, which is what is the draw for the older cars.

Gen 2 GTS is hard to beat in the looks department (to some) and each generation IMHO keeps improving and getting better. However, there are die hard fans of each generation.

I'll caution you now, once you get a Viper and join the VOA, a Corvette won't do anything for you moving forward.

Maybe "handling" was the wrong term. I hear several members saying the first two generations have a "raw" driving experience. Maybe that's what I mean.

Leslie
12-27-2015, 11:01 PM
ANY Viper you get will be awsome!
I loved my last viper (Gen II) and found it a blast to drive at the track, but I personally like driving the older cars around the corners:)
My Gen IV is more refined.
What body style do you like best?
Will you track it or just drive it on the street?

LACOUNTRYHICK
12-27-2015, 11:34 PM
I will probably never drive it on the track. Hard for me to choose the body style because they are so different. Guess I like the interior of the generation 3-4 better. Guess I prefer the look of the generation 3-4 a little better also.

The Viper I drove I think was a first generation. It was awesome in a straight line but didn't seem to turn well. Maybe it was the car idk.

Fatboy 18
12-28-2015, 07:21 AM
Sounds like a Gen 3 or 4 would work for you. :) See if you can get yourself down to one of the regional meets, meet some members and you may get a ride in one of their cars to help you along the way. Not always easy at this time of year due to the weather. :)

Where are you located (what state)? There maybe some owners near to you.
Do not jump in with both feet if you do find a car, check its history, get a Carfax and try and find out if its had any mods? :)

Best of luck with your search. :) And Budget for new tires ;)

Austin
12-28-2015, 08:12 AM
Pretty sure its not a "bro". Check out HER username.

Welcome bro. New here myself. I have an '08 and my friend has a '97 and an '03 so I have an idea of the pros and cons for those generations. Gen 2's are great cars but not as refined as the Gen 3...for the simple reason that it is older so cars should improve with time. The Gen 3 and Gen 4 are similar but the '08's+ have a larger motor, more hp and a few improvements.

USAA financed me with no problem, so if your credit defines your options. I also financed a '72 Chevelle so age is not the issue.

drewsss
12-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Checkout a club sponsor. Milton Bank in Ohio. They specialize in financing Vipers.

:t1236: I went with Adam Massie over at Milton. Excellent company and one of our great sponsors.

They like to especially finance the fast yellow ones, so that Jeff ("Vprbite") has something to chase in his slow red one. :lol2:

Mr White
12-28-2015, 10:06 AM

There are NO WOMEN on the internet!

Ninjazx71
12-28-2015, 01:18 PM
I was in the same situation earlier this year. I wanted a Coupe, which narrowed it down a bit as far as years, and then I usually employ the mindset of "more power = more fun" so I knew a Gen3/4 was needed. A local member here let me drive his Gen3 and loved it, but opted for a Gen4 for a few reasons:

- more power
- preferred the look of the hood
- TR6060 is butter smooth compared to the T56
- Revised 5th gear for the 2010 Gen4.
- Car already had all mods done to it, plus some extras I wouldn't have ended up doing myself.

The only things I DID think about for the Gen3 were the lower cost vs. Gen4's and they are a bit easier to mod if you want to go FI. For me, I thought the enhancements for the Gen4 were worth the extra money and pulled the trigger. Not a single complaint here... other than the shitty winter that has now shown up and I'm dying to go for a drive right now. LOL!

Vprbite
12-28-2015, 03:44 PM

Not true. On the Internet I'm an 18 yr old girl. People always want to talk to me in chat rooms.

Vprbite
12-28-2015, 03:45 PM

LA COUNTRY HICK ----- Austin, perhaps you were seeing what you wanted to see. ; )

Austin
12-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Well, f*ck me sideways. I honeslty kept reading/seeing "LA COUNTRY CHICK". LMAO!! :lol2: Thank you for pointing that out.

LA COUNTRY HICK ----- Austin, perhaps you were seeing what you wanted to see. ; )

Herrsss
12-28-2015, 04:51 PM

Excuse Me???????

RPM9000
12-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Hello Beth.

Vprbite
12-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Well, f*ck me sideways. I honeslty kept reading/seeing "LA COUNTRY CHICK". LMAO!! :lol2: Thank you for pointing that out.

I know we do have some women on here and they are valuable members. Of course they are the minority. I'm all for changing that. If you guys all want to go sell your cars to 20 yr old models, I support that decision wholeheartedly. When you sell it to them, give them my address in case they have any questions.