PDA

View Full Version : My G5 Problem...

F2V
12-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Started up this AM, shortly thereafter idle got a bit rough and stopped. Started again, and same thing happened two more times. Last time, would not start at all, only got what sounded like a 1/4 turn on starter, if that.

Replaced battery with new one...same thing, won't start like above. No codes. Digital screen kept scrolling on its own. Kept pressing starter button, same result as above. A few times heard what sounded like arching or a very small back fire in engine compartment. Could not turn off accessory position on started button...until 3 or 4 trys.

Car has 800 miles, has always ran perfect without any sign of a problem of any kind. Last driven 5 days ago.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks

ViperSmith
12-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Whats your oil level?

Sundiego
12-20-2013, 08:10 PM
What's your warranty?

intense
12-20-2013, 08:37 PM
What's your warranty?
His car is brand new. And for his sake I hope it's something easily fixable, because he's waited a long time to get it.

Allan
12-20-2013, 09:27 PM
I thought that kind of crap was only happening with the C7 Corvettes...........

Newport Viper
12-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Well at least the paint job is cool. (Note to self ....still continue the ideology of not buying the first year of any car)

Jack B
12-20-2013, 10:13 PM
"No Codes" if you did not use a scan tool you cannot be sure there are no codes.

KRATEDISEASE
12-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Started up this AM, shortly thereafter idle got a bit rough and stopped. Started again, and same thing happened two more times. Last time, would not start at all, only got what sounded like a 1/4 turn on starter, if that.

Replaced battery with new one...same thing, won't start like above. No codes. Digital screen kept scrolling on its own. Kept pressing starter button, same result as above. A few times heard what sounded like arching or a very small back fire in engine compartment. Could not turn off accessory position on started button...until 3 or 4 trys.

Car has 800 miles, has always ran perfect without any sign of a problem of any kind. Last driven 5 days ago.

Thanks

no need to worry.... this is your local dealers problem......and surely with warranty, definitely NOT your problem. Anything can be fixed or replaced.

But from what you describe could possibly be a bad ground.

Nine Ball
12-21-2013, 06:27 AM
Krate's response seems logical to me. Definitely electrical related, based on all the issues reported. I'm also betting a ground or main power wire is loose, which replacing the battery won't fix. Likely the factory battery is still good, have it checked at an auto parts store. Locate nearest Dodge dealership to get it fixed. The idling/stalling is exactly what they do when the battery is almost dead, or a wire is loose.

Tony

viperdan
12-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Roy I hope it's something simple and you get your car back quickly. I am NOT of the mind set that it's a dealer problem, just because it is under warranty that doesn't mean squat! Everything from the inconvenience of the car being not driveable to potentially some kid not having a clue how to load it on a flatbed makes for anxiety and frustration. Certain things can and do happen but it doesn't make it very palatable IMO. Roy is the car still in CT or in FL? Dan

ieem01172
12-21-2013, 07:49 AM

Thanks
Could it possibly be a gear-position inhibition issue ?

Jack B
12-21-2013, 08:12 AM
How about as simple as putting a scan tool on it before it goes to the dealer. The "enhanaced" data coming out of the OBD port should tell you exactly what subsystem is creating the problem.

MoparBoyy
12-21-2013, 08:23 AM
sounds like electrical problem. i would have guessed bad battery, but since you replaced it... maybe loose connection somewhere. get it to the dealer.

F2V
12-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks guys for comments and concerns. I'll answer some of them below. The car is at Tator's, Chuck is on it...will know more Monday hopefully, and advise. Thru a code at Tator's "air leak between throttle body and intake valve". Was checked, not problem. For what's it's worth, Also had a PM on VCA supposidly via SRT, that it sounds like a damaged harness issue, and that I may be contacted. The Wizard says, "lots of new stuff, but it's still a Viper" :-)

<<Oil level>>

full but showing no oil pressure, Chuch had it started briefly.

<<Warranty>>

Lifetime :-)

<<loose wire somewhere, grounding>>

Makes sense Tony...but then there is the erratic electronics, no oil pressure, etc...we'll soon see.

<<scan tool>>

Don't have one Jack, but Chuck is on it, and he's right around the corner. I will only go to dealer for a major replacement...ie: engine, tranny, etc.

<<ViperDan, car location>>

Hi Dan, funny you should ask!!! I was in the process of bringing my car over to Tator's for trickle charger install, and scheduled pick up next Friday by Reliable (my road too narrow for Reliable). Hope it gets fixed in time, or I'll punt.

Last time I saw a Viper of mine on a flat bed, it was a $53k repair bill...hope this one goes better.

ViperSmith
12-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Well at least this one isn't at the shop because of a deer ;)

ViperGeorge
12-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Love Tator but he still can't do warranty work can he? If he can't do warranty work what does that mean for you issue? Will it be on your dime?

F2V
12-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Well at least this one isn't at the shop because of a deer ;)

No, that one was on me, no deer...plain stupidity, but that's history.

F2V
12-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote from 09viperacr: "Love Tator but he still can't do warranty work can he? If he can't do warranty work what does that mean for you issue? Will it be on your dime?"

Ye of little faith...where there is will, there is always a way...sometimes, maybe, kinda...

Policy Limits
12-21-2013, 02:18 PM
I hate reading stuff like this. IMO the ONLY bad thing about the car is the service experience. I wish they had SRT exclusive dealerships so the consumer could have confidence in their service experience. Most viper guys wouldn't let a dealer even put air in their tires. Alas, when my 1st oil change came last month, I had my personal mechanic do it.

What good is a warranty ( ESP a lifetime one ) that you are afraid to utilize? This dilemma is the single exclusive concern I have about staying in the brand. Too bad because I do like the car. However this consideration will be weighed heavily when I decide whether or not to upgrade to the vert when it drops.

Don't get me wrong it's great if you live near Woodhouse or Roanke etc. but those types of dealerships are few and far between.

F2V
12-21-2013, 03:50 PM
I hate reading stuff like this. IMO the ONLY bad thing about the car is the service experience. I wish they had SRT exclusive dealerships so the consumer could have confidence in their service experience. Most viper guys wouldn't let a dealer even put air in their tires. Alas, when my 1st oil change came last month, I had my personal mechanic do it.

What good is a warranty ( ESP a lifetime one ) that you are afraid to utilize? This dilemma is the single exclusive concern I have about staying in the brand. Too bad because I do like the car. However this consideration will be weighed heavily when I decide whether or not to upgrade to the vert when it drops.

Don't get me wrong it's great if you live near Woodhouse or Roanke etc. but those types of dealerships are few and far between.

Policy, your point(s) are extremely well taken...especially for a $100k++ exotic, and the Viper is exotic! Wonder if SRT is reading and taking notes yet, on your valid concerns...as if they don't already have their hands full. I am fortunare that Chuck (Viper Wizard) is right around the corner (and I needed really fast action to meet my pick up for Florida next friday), and financially comfortable to forgo a minor warranty claim (if it comes to that).

I took a lifetime (as long as I own the car) warranty because...I've never seen one before; I plan on keeping this car (lots planned for future:-) till my end, and my sons are chopping on the bit; For major big warranty work, I would send it back to WoodHouse.

BTW, is it just me, or is it boring up north in the (almost) winter :smilielol

Policy Limits
12-21-2013, 04:21 PM
I suspect they (SRT) don't care about 1,000 or so cars & their owners. The money is in the mass produced volume units.

Northeast events are limited. These days supercarroadtrips and Tutto Italiano are the only events I feel are worth while to attend. There's an Italian event near you in Farmington that I've always wanted to attend but felt it was far for me called Concorso. I hear the Larz Anderson Auto Museum might have an event next season called "Exotica" which sounds like fun because non Italian brands will be welcome as well.

Hope your car gets sorted. Keep us posted on progress.

Troublemaker
12-21-2013, 05:43 PM
I suspect they (SRT) don't care about 1,000 or so cars & their owners. The money is in the mass produced volume units.

Northeast events are limited. These days supercarroadtrips and Tutto Italiano are the only events I feel are worth while to attend. There's an Italian event near you in Farmington that I've always wanted to attend but felt it was far for me called Concorso. I hear the Larz Anderson Auto Museum might have an event next season called "Exotica" which sounds like fun because non Italian brands will be welcome as well.

Hope your car gets sorted. Keep us posted on progress.

That is where their stupidity would lie then. I do own a Viper, but then I purchased a Jeep and Durango. I will be honest, having Ralph as the CEO says a lot to most of us and has had at least a little to do with other purchases we have made from Dodge.

I will guess you had something shorting in the loom, it either burned in the clear or welded itself to something. Maybe a ground reference which would help the theory of why the electronics were acting erratically afterward. The arcing sound was hopefully just a relay that couldn't pick up properly because of the lack of ground reference.

ViperSmith
12-21-2013, 05:48 PM
A few people have had issues, even major and have been well taken care of by SRT. SRT does care

Policy Limits
12-22-2013, 06:44 AM
I'm not so sure. Don't you remember that lemon law fiasco? The launch? The delays? Making custom order guys wait extensively while dealer cars were pumped out and sat ( and continue to sit ) on lots?

And this is all after bankruptcy and a bailout? There's an expression, he who forgets history is doomed to repeat it.

Don't get me wrong the car is cool. But like F2V says my concerns about dealer service are very valid; look At him with a life time warranty that he paid extra money for and then he goes to chuck.

ViperSmith
12-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Once people bought the car, SRT is a different beast. All besides Kris's issue they have been fantastic to everyone I've heard has had any type of issue.

People failed to publicly share issues on the old forum due to trolls, but SRT has stepped up to help owners once cars were in hands.

Even with the issue Kris had they were working to resolve it, IMHO he was correct going the buy back route. I agree they should have handled it better overall.

Policy Limits
12-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Ask Chuck Tator's opinion as to whether or not they care about you. Lol

On the plus side it warmed up here so I did a 30 mike run. Lots of fun but spent an hour washing salt etc off at the end in my driveway

ViperSmith
12-22-2013, 09:43 AM
What happened with Chuck has nothing to do with if SRT will help owners when something goes wrong.

There is plenty to dislike about what SRT has done with the vehicle launch and handling dealers selling the car - but dealing with owners who have issues I have yet to see anyone have anything but praise (except Kris issue, obviously)

Jack B
12-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Even Xmas doesn't dilute the venom. I also hate SRT, I know they won't give me a free car wash in five years.

What happened with Chuck has nothing to do with if SRT will help owners when something goes wrong.

There is plenty to dislike about what SRT has done with the vehicle launch and handling dealers selling the car - but dealing with owners who have issues I have yet to see anyone have anything but praise (except Kris issue, obviously)

Policy Limits
12-22-2013, 10:23 AM
U guys have confidence in bringing your six figure exotic to a Dodge/Chrysler dealer for service? To trust a guy who works on a Dart with your gen v? If you say yes you're in the minority. The thing has the same value of a new Lotus or new Maserati; the difference being at those places the techs work regularly and exclusively on those brands.

I'm not hating on SRT; I'm offering constructive criticism to help them get people in the brand and to help keep those in it to stay in it. And my suggestion is SRT exclusive dealerships. Just my .02. What do I know anyway? I've never gone bankrupt

XSnake
12-22-2013, 10:30 AM
U guys have confidence in bringing your six figure exotic to a Dodge/Chrysler dealer for service? To trust a guy who works on a Dart with your gen v? If you say yes you're in the minority. The thing has the same value of a new Lotus or new Maserati; the difference being at those places the techs work regularly and exclusively on those brands.

I'm not hating on SRT; I'm offering constructive criticism to help them get people in the brand and to help keep those in it to stay in it. And my suggestion is SRT exclusive dealerships. Just my .02. What do I know anyway? I've never gone bankrupt

I completely understand what you are saying. But, by having less dealerships allowed to sell/service the cars ultimately hurts sales. Could they drop some of the dealers that have no idea what they are doing like we've seen recently on video? Absolutely. But, you start to run into the problem of having to have customers drive or get towed hours away for service if they remove to many. This reason alone could deter people from purchasing. Better training for more sales, service, and techs is key

Troublemaker
12-22-2013, 10:45 AM

One of the main things that is wrong with the Viper is the perception that's its an exotic by some. It is not and I hope that I am not in the minority for saying it. These cars are very simple to work on, not really any different than any other everyday car. Anybody that thinks they have bought an exotic is mistaken, this is just a limited run, hand built American sports car. I have a feeling the most of new breed of buyers that bought their "exotic, exlusive, luxury car", won't even own their cars to see the end of the warranty.

I would most certainly trust Chuck Tator to do anything on my car, even if it did have to come out of pocket. I have had one of the Viper Gurus work on my car and the tricks they can teach are only learned over time, not from some class they had to take. The only reason I had to go to one of the Elite was because of a frame recall Chrysler was warranting 15 years later.

Policy Limits
12-22-2013, 10:50 AM
I guess it depends on your definition of an exotic. Implicit in your post is that you think high maintenance equals exotic. That's not my definition at all. My Lamborghini averaged 900 bucks per year to service or work on which is relatively low.

The definition of exotic in my mind is something made by hand, high performance, exclusive, rarely seen and special. And the gen V is all of those things.

Troublemaker
12-22-2013, 12:13 PM
I guess it depends on your definition of an exotic. Implicit in your post is that you think high maintenance equals exotic. That's not my definition at all. My Lamborghini averaged 900 bucks per year to service or work on which is relatively low.

The definition of exotic in my mind is something made by hand, high performance, exclusive, rarely seen and special. And the gen V is all of those things.

I don't believe I implied anything even remotely along the lines of maintenance costs in my previous post. What is being implied or more to the point assumed, is that it takes a specialy trained technician to work on these cars. These are very basic automobiles, the difference in being the quantity that have been produced. It doesn't take long to get acquainted with the layout of the car, which if you were ever under one would quickly understand that these guys are very old school with a couple of new school tricks thrown in. Unless you are getting some custom work done, it doesn't take much to work on them. I am not insulting the knowledge or trade of the Techs, guys like Tator, Sessions, Morgensen, etc can do whatever you would want, far past what the average Viper Tech can perform. I think to assume you can't bring your car to an SRT dealership and get quality warranty work done, is wrong. Some have criticized the basic form of the dealerships and that they aren't getting the luxury car treatment through them, it starts to prove the theory that these aren't exotics. I don't need to get my butt kissed and have unlimited access to the espresso machine while sitting in the imported leather chair to appreciate what I bought.

You purchased one of the greatest DODGES ever built, even if it likes to be called an SRT now. Prince is still Prince no matter what he wants to be called in the current times.

Policy Limits
12-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Hmm I don't want my but kissed either. Just a return phone call; something I didn't get from either of the two service mangers I called from two different local dealerships.

It might be a Dodge, but $135k is a price point that's pretty close to some real estate I sold not too long ago with a single family home on it where the buyers will live, perhaps for the rest of their lives. Its a chunk of change. So it's concerning when there's no communication and when you finally speak with a viper tech who tells you he's never worked on a gen v before. The word "yikes" pops into your head. I've seen guys like viper Jon & others voice this concern, and know I'm not alone.

Policy Limits
12-22-2013, 12:46 PM
And in my opinion I think it speaks volumes that the OP owns a life time warranty on his car and isn't having it serviced by an authorized dealer.

99RT10
12-22-2013, 12:59 PM

This sounds like the perfect fit for Tator. He needs to be an authorized Mopar/SRT parts and Service provider. Can I get a second?

ViperSmith
12-22-2013, 01:28 PM
And in my opinion I think it speaks volumes that the OP owns a life time warranty on his car and isn't having it serviced by an authorized dealer.

Doesn't to me. He likes Chuck so he is using him.

You are reading way too much into it.

Guess I am lucky that my local service manager is outstanding

viperdan
12-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Hi Dan, funny you should ask!!! I was in the process of bringing my car over to Tator's for trickle charger install, and scheduled pick up next Friday by Reliable (my road too narrow for Reliable). Hope it gets fixed in time, or I'll punt.

Last time I saw a Viper of mine on a flat bed, it was a $53k repair bill...hope this one goes better.

Well at least we know you're in great hands Roy at Chucks! You're more courageous than I am driving on these cold roads with sand and salt all over them. Good luck with the fix, keep us posted!

johniew398
12-23-2013, 11:30 PM

Thanks

This may be a dumb question; but did Prefix have to disassemble your car any in order to paint it?

Policy Limits
12-24-2013, 06:29 AM
Was thinking the same thing actually

Nine Ball
12-24-2013, 06:52 AM

This. Vipers are rarely seen, and attract just as much attention as other exotic cars. Just because they don't cost $300K, doesn't make them any less exotic looking. We know they are exotic performing. They sell more Gallardos than Vipers.

Going back to the SRT-only dealerships, that would be sweet. People say "fewer dealerships to service vehicles would hurt sales". I disagree slightly. There aren't many Ferrari or Lamborghini dealerships in this country, yet they sell quite a few of those cars. They don't build that many Vipers at all, so fewer dealerships could easily handle that amount of volume. Tomball Dodge should be the first to do this, we've been suggesting it to Bernie for a couple years now. They have dedicated SRT / Viper techs working there, that do nothing but work on these cars. They even do a lot of modifications to Vipers there.

F2V
12-24-2013, 08:26 AM
This may be a dumb question; but did Prefix have to disassemble your car any in order to paint it?

Yes, 'skinned' except the roof, but they are VERY meticulous...but a good observation anyway.

johniew398
12-24-2013, 09:03 AM
I hope they find out what the issue is fast.

Let us all know.

F2V
12-24-2013, 09:08 AM
UPDATE:

I couldn't be in better hands...Chuck Tator and Mark Jorgensen collaboration!!

Initial indications point to the oil pump. No oil pressure, oil full, no leaks. Won't know for sure until Thursday if this is the problem, after Chuck goes inside for a look see. Just 'educated' speculation at this point.

I'm told that Mark has seen my symptoms in a few G4's. If this is it, I dodged (funny) a bullet, by happening in my driveway vs under power on road...and it wouldn't be a G5 specific problem, as both use same oil pump I'm told. If not, we'll move on from there.

Big shout out to Mark, for taking personal time from his vacation to help out! WoodHouse rules!

Merry Christmas to all :-))

swexlin
12-24-2013, 09:59 AM

You have to find a dealer you trust. My dealer DOES service my 2013 Dart (1.4 Turbo 6-speed) since new, my 2007 Charger SRT8, since new, and my 2003 Viper, since I've owned it, almost 4 years now. Never had an issue, and they have service my Cummins and V10 Dodge trucks in the past. Never had an issue. However, I understand what you're saying, I'm lucky, as those types are far and few between.

johniew398
12-24-2013, 10:13 AM

If I lived near an SRT dealer I would take it to them; but I live 80 miles from the nearest Viper tech and don't know him.

I started taking my 08 ACR to a local dealer when I bought it new because the GM there owned a Viper and one tech worked on his. He has always done top notch work on my car and you can tell he doesn't treat it like the other cars.

I'm sure that's probably rare for those dealers who normally never see a Viper.

Now having said that. Because I am starting to get to know Mark at Woodhouse anything major and I will ship it up north to him.

KRATEDISEASE
12-26-2013, 05:50 PM

I assume you mean extended service plan for 7 or so years. There is no such thing that I am aware of as a "lifetime" warranty on Autos. (But I could be wrong ??), regardless even still F2V has bumper to bumper original warranty still for a few years.

VRYALT3R3D
12-26-2013, 06:02 PM
I assume you mean extended service plan for 7 or so years. There is no such thing that I am aware of as a "lifetime" warranty on Autos. (But I could be wrong ??), regardless even still F2V has bumper to bumper original warranty still for a few years.

Chrysler used to offer it. I doubt its possible on the Gen V

http://www.chrysler.com/en/lifetime_powertrain_warranty/faq.html

Space Truckin
12-26-2013, 09:27 PM

Au contrair my friends, when I purchased my Gen 5 I also had a Lifetime warranty (mechanical, electronics) included.

KRATEDISEASE
12-27-2013, 08:18 AM

WOW, I had no idea they offered this. Interesting, BUT read Question #7

Q7: Are any Chrysler vehicles excluded?
A7: Vehicles that are not covered under the new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty include SRT models

Policy Limits
12-27-2013, 08:29 AM
They used to offer lifetime but no longer do is my understanding. It was low cost too. But who wants to own the same car forever? I buy myself a new toy every two years on average.

F2V
12-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Not looking good. Chuck found metal shavings on the face of the oil pump, closed it back up and awaiting transport back to WoodHouse, for Mark's evaluation and warranty service.

99RT10
12-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Not good, but maybe SRT will want to grab that engine from you to analyze why it failed. That could help out many in the future if this becomes a bigger issue.

Policy Limits
12-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Hopefully they honor the warranty after chuck got in there; I've seen a lemon law but back, passenger door that pops open, a defective horn pad, missing led in headlight, and a test car fall apart during a marketing campaign. But other than that no issues. Then again only 2-3 dozen of the 600 owners are on line posting so who knows.

Hope it works out well ESP after the wait you endured

johniew398
12-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Wouldn't have helped in this situation; but now I see why they recommend changing the oil at 500 miles.

Policy Limits
12-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Owners manual says every 6 months actually. It's not his fault.

American products can be frustrating.

KRATEDISEASE
12-29-2013, 12:52 PM
I am wondering what exactly does metal shavings on the face of the oil pump actually indicate ? Does that mean the engine has seized ???

ViperSmith
12-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Unsure the issue you guys are driving at.

F2V maybe annoyed, but SRT will step up and fix the issue.

The fact is the V10 in these cars and transmissions are a proven platform - manufacturing mistakes will arise.

If 30 cars had this issue id be concerned, but not this.

V10LEE
12-29-2013, 01:42 PM
The Gen V motor is really no different to the Gen 4. Stuff like this just happens..

Shooter
12-29-2013, 02:14 PM
This sounds like the perfect fit for Tator. He needs to be an authorized Mopar/SRT parts and Service provider. Can I get a second?

Heck ya. As a matter of fact, after all the crap with Dodge. I am surprised that this isn't already a done deal. This simple move by Dodge/SRT would have gone along way in the Viper community. I would hazard a guess that some people on the fence about the Gen V would buy one just out of loyalty to Chuck.

KRATEDISEASE
12-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Heck ya. As a matter of fact, after all the crap with Dodge. I am surprised that this isn't already a done deal. This simple move by Dodge/SRT would have gone along way in the Viper community. I would hazard a guess that some people on the fence about the Gen V would buy one just out of loyalty to Chuck.

Correct. Chuck is not only the Wizard but also the " consiglieri " all things Viper. He has so much knowledge and his word carries a lot of weight.

He never tried to sell me something that I did not need or just to make a buck. Extremely high credibility and ethics.

Thank goodness he is located nearby NYCity.

XSnake
12-29-2013, 02:37 PM
I'm sure SRT is gonna want that engine for a diagnoses

F2V
12-29-2013, 05:01 PM
<<<Hopefully they honor the warranty after chuck got in there>>>

Chuck had nothing to do with the problem or the warranty...he was just trying to get it solved with WoodHouse, so It could be picked up the next few days for Florida transport....Christmas week. The car was down, out and kaput in the driveway, before I sent it to Tator's....see above's.

<<<Wouldn't have helped in this situation; but now I see why they recommend changing the oil at 500 miles.>>>

Indeed. The oil and filter was chsanged at 473 miles. Drove another approx 250 miles thereafter with no problems...no indications of any either. Car was broken in properly.

Let's see what Woodhouse says, and we'll post/go from there. Disheartening to say the least, but you all know how the saying goes :-)

johniew398
12-29-2013, 06:22 PM
F2V: sorry this has happened to you. At least you have Tator and Mark looking out for you.

Policy Limits
12-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Turned out to be one of one alright...kidding....keep us posted.

viperfred
12-29-2013, 09:20 PM
I also feel SRT works to provide a positive ownership experience.

F2V
12-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Turned out to be one of one alright...kidding....keep us posted.

Funny, I thought the same thing.

ViperGeorge
12-30-2013, 09:10 AM
I am wondering what exactly does metal shavings on the face of the oil pump actually indicate ? Does that mean the engine has seized ???

It means that bad things have likely happened in the engine.

PeerBlock
01-01-2014, 09:28 PM
WOW, I had no idea they offered this. Interesting, BUT read Question #7

Q7: Are any Chrysler vehicles excluded?
A7: Vehicles that are not covered under the new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty include SRT models

SRT vehicles get their own warranty, which probably costs more. Here's the basic warranty you get on the Viper, which can be extended to a lifetime warranty that is valid as long as you own the car:

http://www.drivesrt.com/warranty

F2V
01-10-2014, 05:43 AM
Seems my problem has been solved, as a result of Chuck and Mark teaming up to figure it out...

There were aluminum shavings on the inside of the oil pump cover, left over from milling/manufacturing of the oil pump cover, which was probably missed during inspection/installation. One or more of the shavings worked its way into the oil pressure relief valve (PRV), causing an oil blockage that suddenly led to no oil pressure, and unable to restart engine per the original post.

Chuck thoroughly cleaned out the PRV, and the car started right up and ran perfect. He then drove it for 30 or so miles (ran like a top), changed oil/filter again, no shavings, and he feels they didn't work their way inside the engine. I was obviously fortunate that it was caught very early, right in my driveway. Anyway, the problem is noted at Woodhouse in the event something further develops. Car is at Tator's awaiting transport to sunny Florida, for some serious driving, on roads that make the ones up north look and feel like cattle trails.

Special thanks to Mark Jorgensen, whose strong contacts at SRT and Arrow proved very helpful. The Pemberton/Jorgensen team at WoodHouse rule 'ViperVille' in my experienced opinion. Collectively they have done many important favors for me...cannot imagine not buying my Viper from Bill!

KRATEDISEASE
01-10-2014, 06:10 AM
Those goofy final assembly inspectors !!

BUY A MAGNETIC OIL PLUG to catch and further possible shavings. (BUT wondering if shavings are metal or aluminum)

additionally, for safety, change your oil a few more times, say every 500 miles for the next 2000 miles to be sure you flushed the shavings all out.

F2V
01-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Those goofy final assembly inspectors !!

BUY A MAGNETIC OIL PLUG to catch and further possible shavings. (BUT wondering if shavings are metal or aluminum)

additionally, for safety, change your oil a few more times, say every 500 miles for the next 2000 miles to be sure you flushed the shavings all out.

Thanks, and they are aluminum.

plumcrazy
01-10-2014, 06:18 AM
id want that whole system fully flushed out a couple times

F2V
01-10-2014, 06:27 AM
id want that whole system fully flushed out a couple times

Chuck did 3 times.

viperdan
01-10-2014, 06:38 AM
I'm glad it's all worked out Roy, you couldn't ask for a better team to resolve it for you! The C&C pics were great, you have to come this year when you're back!

Policy Limits
01-10-2014, 06:49 AM
You can't even make this stuff up...

ViperSmith
01-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Roy, admit it, chuck just wanted a reason to tear apart a gen v ;)

Glad to see it was something minor and good it is documented if something goes terribly wrong in the future!

johniew398
01-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Good to hear it was something relatively minor.

Enjoy the car.

Wiperman
01-10-2014, 04:59 PM
That's great news!