PDA

View Full Version : Volvo's answer to Turbo Lag

12-13-2015, 02:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuwuXyuyfEw

Turbochargers are typically driven by only the exhaust gas exiting an engine, which takes some time to accelerate the turbine. This leads to what’s known as turbo lag, which is that moment right after you step on the accelerator pedal when not much happens, before the full effect of the boost kicks in.
Automakers have developed various measures to minimize the effect, including the combination of an engine-driven supercharger, which delivers boost at low engine speeds until the turbocharger takes over at high revs. Volvo currentlyoffers an engine with this type of arrangement in several of its vehicles (http://video.foxnews.com/v/3607303565001/volvos-engine-of-the-future/#sp=show-clips).
But its new PowerPulse technology approaches this issue in an even more novel way. It features an electric air compressor that fills a two-liter canister with filtered pressurized air, releasing it into the exhaust manifold in bursts or “pulses” whenever you step on the accelerator. This quickly brings the turbo up to speed, filling the gap and virtually eliminating lag, Volvo says.

ViperSmith
12-13-2015, 02:48 PM
pretty cool tech

damstr
12-13-2015, 06:21 PM
Doesn't the P1 use an eletrical motor to spool up the turbo at low RPM's?

IndyRon
12-14-2015, 12:04 AM
We just bought a 2016 XC90 for the wife and it has this technology. It's noticeable.

Vprbite
12-14-2015, 12:14 AM
That's awesome. My friend has a turbo'd nova and a couple of years ago I, jokingly, suggested doing this. I said "why not blow compressed air into it?" And he said "wait, would that work?" And I said theoretically I suppose it would but don't ask me to rig it up cause I can't promise it won't explode. Volvo has better resources in its engineering dept than I do, obviously, and this is a great idea.

So Indy, how quickly can you refill the tank? Like is this a viable model to extrapolate to a track car? Or is this a street only design? Also, I wonder if we will see this in pickups? Volvo makes Heavy Duty rigs so I wonder if they will use it there.

Definitely a cool idea and great solution.

IndyRon
12-14-2015, 09:17 AM
That's awesome. My friend has a turbo'd nova and a couple of years ago I, jokingly, suggested doing this. I said "why not blow compressed air into it?" And he said "wait, would that work?" And I said theoretically I suppose it would but don't ask me to rig it up cause I can't promise it won't explode. Volvo has better resources in its engineering dept than I do, obviously, and this is a great idea.

So Indy, how quickly can you refill the tank? Like is this a viable model to extrapolate to a track car? Or is this a street only design? Also, I wonder if we will see this in pickups? Volvo makes Heavy Duty rigs so I wonder if they will use it there.

Definitely a cool idea and great solution.

Lol, I haven't even popped the hood on it yet. I would bet it could be utilized if thought out. The 4cylinder makes 300hp and it feels torquey, there isn't any noticeable delay in power application. Supras or those big turbo 4 bangers like Evo's and the like would really benefit.

duffman04
12-14-2015, 09:39 AM
We just bought a 2016 XC90 for the wife and it has this technology. It's noticeable.

Slightly off topic, but how do you guys like the XC90 so far? My wife and I have been looking at them for her next car. For the price they look pretty hard to beat when you factor in all the safety features, 3rd row, and awesome interior. Am a little worried about reliability, but I guess thats what warranty is for.

Vprbite
12-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Lol, I haven't even popped the hood on it yet. I would bet it could be utilized if thought out. The 4cylinder makes 300hp and it feels torquey, there isn't any noticeable delay in power application. Supras or those big turbo 4 bangers like Evo's and the like would really benefit.

Depending on the size of the turbo and the tank, I wonder if it would work in track applications. Volvo is in F1, right? So I suppose they have the infrastructure to mess around with it. It makes perfect sense on a truck that is towing IMO. Not having to wait for turbo lag, especially in the people who do the big power upgrades, sounds great.

John Galt
12-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Cool

rlhay2
12-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Aren't compressed air tanks meant to be drained periodically to prevent rust?

I like the idea! But I wonder what is the maintenance after 5 years?

IndyRon
12-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Slightly off topic, but how do you guys like the XC90 so far? My wife and I have been looking at them for her next car. For the price they look pretty hard to beat when you factor in all the safety features, 3rd row, and awesome interior. Am a little worried about reliability, but I guess thats what warranty is for.

We special ordered an Inscription which is the higher trim level. The vehicle is beautiful inside and out. Much nicer than the Audi Q7 or Escalade, and on par with the Porsche Cayenne or Heavily optioned BMW X5. Interior is particularly impressive with the touch screen the size of an ipad and graphical interface for the gauge cluster. The downside, the car isn't as quiet inside when it comes to road noise as I would expect for a 60k plus vehicle. It also has adjustable suspension, but even on comfort mode, its still pretty stiff IMHO. Not uncomfortable at all, but firmer than I would expect for a people hauler. Maybe its the 20" wheels and low profile tires. Road impacts/bumps seem to resonate more in the cockpit than I'd like. The BMW X5 diesel I had before just was more quiet and better insulated inside it seemed. These are nitpicks though. I'd happily drive it cross country if necessary. It's the wife's vehicle and she picked it out for a kid hauler so if she's happy, I'm happy.

We traded in a Jeep GC Overland Summit. It was nice, but with about 60k miles, had 2 transmissions replaced under warrantee and starting to have problems with the air ride suspension, I wanted out from under it.

Drlee50
12-14-2015, 06:02 PM
Depending on the size of the turbo and the tank, I wonder if it would work in track applications. Volvo is in F1, right? So I suppose they have the infrastructure to mess around with it. It makes perfect sense on a truck that is towing IMO. Not having to wait for turbo lag, especially in the people who do the big power upgrades, sounds great.

Pretty sure They (F1) use and electric motor that is on the turbine shaft to spool it up. That motor is powered by a rechargable battery that charges under breaking. trick stuff!

Vprbite
12-14-2015, 06:57 PM
Pretty sure They (F1) use and electric motor that is on the turbine shaft to spool it up. That motor is powered by a rechargable battery that charges under breaking. trick stuff!

Ah yes. That sounds right. Obviously volvomwent with this over electric for a reason. I wonder what the advantage was. It's a good idea though and I look forward to seeing it in more vehicles. Turbos obviously offer a lot of advantages.

duffman04
12-15-2015, 06:31 PM
We special ordered an Inscription which is the higher trim level. The vehicle is beautiful inside and out. Much nicer than the Audi Q7 or Escalade, and on par with the Porsche Cayenne or Heavily optioned BMW X5. Interior is particularly impressive with the touch screen the size of an ipad and graphical interface for the gauge cluster. The downside, the car isn't as quiet inside when it comes to road noise as I would expect for a 60k plus vehicle. It also has adjustable suspension, but even on comfort mode, its still pretty stiff IMHO. Not uncomfortable at all, but firmer than I would expect for a people hauler. Maybe its the 20" wheels and low profile tires. Road impacts/bumps seem to resonate more in the cockpit than I'd like. The BMW X5 diesel I had before just was more quiet and better insulated inside it seemed. These are nitpicks though. I'd happily drive it cross country if necessary. It's the wife's vehicle and she picked it out for a kid hauler so if she's happy, I'm happy.

We traded in a Jeep GC Overland Summit. It was nice, but with about 60k miles, had 2 transmissions replaced under warrantee and starting to have problems with the air ride suspension, I wanted out from under it.

Thanks, thats good to know. Its interesting that you mention its not as quiet as you thought. I've read that people have said its almost eerie how quiet it is while driving.

We really like both, but the other one we're considering is the srt8 Cherokee. Both practical but two ways of going about it. That infotainment system in the Volvo is awesome though, maybe only second to tesla.

Vprbite
12-15-2015, 10:14 PM
The air ride stuff on these new vehicles gives me the heebey jeebeys. People are having problems with it on the ram. When I am a couple hours of 4x4 road out in the wilderness, I don't need one corner of my suspension taking a dive.