PDA

View Full Version : Any Ferrari owners on here?

viper_eddie
12-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Just wondering if there are any Fcar owners on here? I'm buying a 355 because manual prices have been rising steadily and I figured if I don't act now I might not ever be able to afford a Ferrari. Will be curious to see how prices will be in spring/summer and then I'll decide whether I'll keep or sell it. Wish I had the funds and space to have this and a Viper but such is life lol (first world problem).

Vprbite
12-10-2015, 02:43 AM
A good buddy of mine has one. Loves it. And it's a beautiful car. He has the skills to do the maintenence on it himself though. The maintenence really isn't much cheaper than it is on the new ones, so be aware. He also put a sweet exhaust on it. I forget the brand but can find out for you, it sounds so very "ferrari" now.

A fellow friend in the car club here bought one and needed a belt change and a few other routine things done, so he purchased my buddy a lift in exchange for the service. It was a win/win. The service would have been 7,500 bucks, so it was cheaper for him and my friend Rob got himself a brand new lift. So be aware of that aspect. Otherwise, enjoy it but you will find it slow compared to your other cars you've had.

JonSav
12-10-2015, 04:55 AM
Ferrari owner here, be sure to join the ferrari club of america.. 10% off parts and labor at ferrari dealers, pays for itself
Good timing on your purchase, manuals will be worth a good 20k more by summer
I just purchased another ferrari 6speed manual last week (360)

Vprbite
12-10-2015, 05:54 AM
Ferrari owner here, be sure to join the ferrari club of america.. 10% off parts and labor at ferrari dealers, pays for itself

I love the lines of the 360. Nice.

Red Snake
12-10-2015, 07:04 AM
I own stock in Ferrari. Does that count? :D

Probably over-valued stocks, but stocks nonetheless.

Mbccenter
12-10-2015, 07:47 AM
I had a yellow 355 Spyder 6-sp. sold it last year. Maybe to soon and to cheap but I think they are a pile of crap. High maintenance, very uncomphortable, and extremely slow. They sound cool whith the right exhaust and look amazing. Just no comparison to the Viper. My .02

viper_eddie
12-10-2015, 02:04 PM
A good buddy of mine has one. Loves it. And it's a beautiful car. He has the skills to do the maintenence on it himself though. The maintenence really isn't much cheaper than it is on the new ones, so be aware. He also put a sweet exhaust on it. I forget the brand but can find out for you, it sounds so very "ferrari" now.

A fellow friend in the car club here bought one and needed a belt change and a few other routine things done, so he purchased my buddy a lift in exchange for the service. It was a win/win. The service would have been 7,500 bucks, so it was cheaper for him and my friend Rob got himself a brand new lift. So be aware of that aspect. Otherwise, enjoy it but you will find it slow compared to your other cars you've had.

I planned on doing the major myself with another guy who is pretty knowledgable but since I might be selling it come spring/summer, I took it to a reputable shop with a great name in the industry for only $1,500 more. Having said that, I'm still dropping $10k on a major and valve guides since that's the weak point of the 355. Don't think mine needs it but when it comes time to sell I don't want it to have any mechanical issues. Also spending another $3k on various miscellaneous items. Normally I would have a heart attack but I'm treating the car more as an investment right now and will decide in 6 months if I should sell.

I was going to get a 550 (V12) last year for 80k or so but thought I'll save up more...now those cars are 150-200k. Don't want the same thing happening with the 355s even if they don't go that high.

I was going to get a 360 but they went up like 20k in the last 2 months. Had they still been in the 70s I would have bought one to keep since the major on those is pretty cheap although you pay more for a clutch change vs the 355. Honestly I would never take it to a Ferrari dealer cause their techs have no idea how to work on these older cars. In LA there are about 3-4 very good shops.

I had a yellow 355 Spyder 6-sp. sold it last year. Maybe to soon and to cheap but I think they are a pile of crap. High maintenance, very uncomphortable, and extremely slow. They sound cool whith the right exhaust and look amazing. Just no comparison to the Viper. My .02

I agree with some of what you said but I'm buying it to say I've had a Ferrari before I'm priced out of the market. Maintenance is high, yes. Don't know about uncomfortable cause it's a low sports car plus it's very beautiful. Not to mention the sound :)

Ultimately I do plan on getting back in a Viper...

viper_eddie
12-10-2015, 02:11 PM

I'm guessing he has a Capristo exhaust? I'm planning on that or an Armytrix exhaust. Youtube both for some nice eargasms lol

JonSav
12-10-2015, 03:38 PM
You didn't pick the best model maintenance wise, but the ferrari driving experience is much better than the viper, you will enjoy it

viper_eddie
12-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Maintenance wise I picked one of the worst but I figured these are becoming collector's cars and if/when they'll be 120k-150k, the guy that will buy it won't give a crap if it's 4k to service every 5 years or 8k. If values don't go up then I will drive it like all the other fun cars I've had and I put close to 700 miles a month on those.

cfiiman
12-10-2015, 04:42 PM
I planned on doing the major myself with another guy who is pretty knowledgable but since I might be selling it come spring/summer, I took it to a reputable shop with a great name in the industry for only $1,500 more. Having said that, I'm still dropping $10k on a major and valve guides since that's the weak point of the 355. Don't think mine needs it but when it comes time to sell I don't want it to have any mechanical issues. Also spending another $3k on various miscellaneous items. Normally I would have a heart attack but I'm treating the car more as an investment right now and will decide in 6 months if I should sell.

I was going to get a 550 (V12) last year for 80k or so but thought I'll save up more...now those cars are 150-200k. Don't want the same thing happening with the 355s even if they don't go that high.

I was going to get a 360 but they went up like 20k in the last 2 months. Had they still been in the 70s I would have bought one to keep since the major on those is pretty cheap although you pay more for a clutch change vs the 355. Honestly I would never take it to a Ferrari dealer cause their techs have no idea how to work on these older cars. In LA there are about 3-4 very good shops.

I agree with some of what you said but I'm buying it to say I've had a Ferrari before I'm priced out of the market. Maintenance is high, yes. Don't know about uncomfortable cause it's a low sports car plus it's very beautiful. Not to mention the sound :)

Ultimately I do plan on getting back in a Viper...

This post interested me on how fast they rose in price. I'm still sick over an older (1979) 911SC I had a few years ago. I was a coupe 5spd and gorgeous. I bought it for like 7k from a guy who was having a baby, and I figured it was worth a little more than that. After 5 years or so I sold it (about 5 or 6 years ago) for 10k and thought I did great. Got to drive it all that time and made a few thousand. Well in the last year that car is now worth triple that :eek: I'm seriously sick over the decision to sell it, I don't get why they have gone through the roof like this but they have, I can't hardly even think about it or I'll puke, ugh. Not sure the Viper market has even moved? Have fun with your F car.

viper_eddie
12-10-2015, 05:33 PM
This post interested me on how fast they rose in price. I'm still sick over an older (1979) 911SC I had a few years ago. I was a coupe 5spd and gorgeous. I bought it for like 7k from a guy who was having a baby, and I figured it was worth a little more than that. After 5 years or so I sold it (about 5 or 6 years ago) for 10k and thought I did great. Got to drive it all that time and made a few thousand. Well in the last year that car is now worth triple that :eek: I'm seriously sick over the decision to sell it, I don't get why they have gone through the roof like this but they have, I can't hardly even think about it or I'll puke, ugh. Not sure the Viper market has even moved? Have fun with your F car.

Almost 10 years ago my dad bought a 81 SC for 3500 from a guy that kept it for his friend and his friend owed him money, etc. It needed some paint and a head rebuilt at the least. We sold it a few months later for 6500 all happy cause we made 3k not doing anything. LOL try finding that car now for anything under 20?

Or the time my dad passed on a 930 for 25k cause he was/is cheap...good luck now. I think it is a bubble but I don't think they'll go back to those dirt cheap prices for many many years, if they ever do.

viper_eddie
02-21-2016, 09:44 PM
In case anyone cares for an update, here is the car. I picked it up this last Tuesday and am having a blast with it. It's totally different than the Viper experience except for the attention. Yes, it's pretty slow compared to my 2009 Viper but it still gets up pretty good; I would venture to guess that it's not too much slower than the Gen 2 I had. The Viper has that crazy torque but this car has an amazing sound. Now back to my original post, I wish I had the money or at least the garage space to have both haha

swexlin
02-22-2016, 06:05 AM
Beautiful car. Hopefully you got a well-sorted one. There are a couple that come to our C&C, and they have an amazing sound, and years later, are still hot. Good luck with it!

Vprbite
02-22-2016, 10:41 AM
I like the 355 because it was the last of the truly low production Ferraris. They ramped up production a lot soon after that, especially when everyone had money for no reason in the 2000's. They are beautiful. I can't do the wrenching myself though so that's enough to keep me shy of one. I tend not to flip my cars over all the time though. If I were only gonna have it for a few months and could skip a crazy oricey belt change or something, they seem to be doing pretty well..value wise which is cool.

Truthfully, i still like the 308 because it was around when I was pretty young and seeing Christie Brinkley in one in the movie "Vacation" changed me. I didn't know what a hot chick was, I just knew that was it! I was born in 79 so was still pretty young when I saw "Vacation."

swexlin
02-22-2016, 10:53 AM
I like the 355 because it was the last of the truly low production Ferraris. They ramped up production a lot soon after that, especially when everyone had money for no reason in the 2000's. They are beautiful. I can't do the wrenching myself though so that's enough to keep me shy of one. I tend not to flip my cars over all the time though. If I were only gonna have it for a few months and could skip a crazy oricey belt change or something, they seem to be doing pretty well..value wise which is cool.

Truthfully, i still like the 308 because it was around when I was pretty young and seeing Christie Brinkley in one in the movie "Vacation" changed me. I didn't know what a hot chick was, I just knew that was it! I was born in 79 so was still pretty young when I saw "Vacation."

Now I feel old! I was almost 20 and halfway through college when Vacation came out! But I agree about Christie (who still looks good today at age 63!)

Vprbite
02-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Now I feel old! I was almost 20 and halfway through college when Vacation came out! But I agree about Christie (who still looks good today at age 63!)

Good? I'm not sure there is a word to describe how incredible she looks at her age. I have never wanted to nail a 63 year old so bad in my life. Or probably at all for that matter. But seeing her in that movie probably started my lifelong obsession to combine my two favorite things.

I was watching the movie "License to Drive" last night, always a classic and buoyed by the power of the two Corey's. But a 308 is featured prominently in that movie.

I'll ask my friend what kind of exhaust he put in his 355. It sounds good but I know it wasn't cheap, even by Viper standards.

viper_eddie
02-22-2016, 04:29 PM
Beautiful car. Hopefully you got a well-sorted one. There are a couple that come to our C&C, and they have an amazing sound, and years later, are still hot. Good luck with it!

The big issues on the 355s are valve guides, headers and cats. Mine had the headers done and straight pipes. I got high flow cats for it since it wouldn't pass smog otherwise and I also had a valve job/valve guides done. 5k for those 2 which is pretty cheap as far as Italian exotics are concerned.

Good? I'm not sure there is a word to describe how incredible she looks at her age. I have never wanted to nail a 63 year old so bad in my life. Or probably at all for that matter. But seeing her in that movie probably started my lifelong obsession to combine my two favorite things.

I was watching the movie "License to Drive" last night, always a classic and buoyed by the power of the two Corey's. But a 308 is featured prominently in that movie.

I'll ask my friend what kind of exhaust he put in his 355. It sounds good but I know it wasn't cheap, even by Viper standards.

I was born in 88 so I had to Google her and yeah...she's probably the hottest 63 year old on this planet. I'd probably take her over most 40 year olds haha

The Capristo exhaust I want is $3,500, used they're around $2,000 to $2,500 but haven't been able to find one. Quite pricey for a muffler but it transforms the car and they hold their value. Let me know what your friend says!

Vprbite
02-22-2016, 09:17 PM
It's a lot for such a short exhaust, no? I think that actually makes design more important in terms of acoustics.

I texted my buddy. He has a kinda new baby so I don't always hear back from him immediately but I should by tomorrow.

Edit...heard from him. His is a Mille Miglia. It sounds great. A little mean but still very Ferrari.

viper_eddie
02-23-2016, 09:29 AM
It's a lot for such a short exhaust, no? I think that actually makes design more important in terms of acoustics.

I texted my buddy. He has a kinda new baby so I don't always hear back from him immediately but I should by tomorrow.

Edit...heard from him. His is a Mille Miglia. It sounds great. A little mean but still very Ferrari.

The Mille Miglia sounds good as well, haven't been able to find a used one nor new. I'll have to search because the company that makes them (I think they're in Australia?) doesn't have a price on their site.

EDIT: Just found it, it's $2,900 AUD which is about $2,100 USD plus shipping you're probably around $2,300. Not sure what they go for used but for an extra 1k (ok a bit more than 1k) I'd rather jump on the Capristo since they hold their value very well. Damn expensive either way for a muffler...

JPL
11-23-2016, 10:06 AM
Here is a quick pic of my 2000 360 gated Modena in Rosso Fiorano and beige, I have it now for almost two years and love it. Got it right before the prices shot up....still miss the gen1 though....

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn319/jpl20/fer_zpsxarca2wf.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jpl20/media/fer_zpsxarca2wf.jpg.html)

viper_eddie
11-25-2016, 12:59 PM
That's a nice color, I definitely prefer it over Rosso Corsa but unfortunately hard to find. I was about 3k away from buying a car just like yours but with a black interior and the sport seats. Car had like 37k miles and I knew it would be harder to sell after I put 10k miles on it so I wasn't so keen. Looking back I kind of regret it cause they still shot up in price but oh well.

JPL
11-25-2016, 05:25 PM
Thanks, it looks realy good in person, sometimes hard to photograph, sometimes it looks Rosso Corsa, like in this pic, (i'm on the right):
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn319/jpl20/icfer_zps8oiudrf5.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jpl20/media/icfer_zps8oiudrf5.jpg.html)

or a dark maroon, like this:
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn319/jpl20/ic2_zpsilhttohp.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jpl20/media/ic2_zpsilhttohp.jpg.html)

or candy like this:
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn319/jpl20/Candyparm_zpsu5clamwq.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jpl20/media/Candyparm_zpsu5clamwq.jpg.html)

It's got 31k+ miles on it, and I didn't get it as an investment, just to enjoy, so I don't care about mileage, when it comes time to sell, what happens happens.

So far so good, it's a lot of fun, and sounds unbelievable! This was also the first model that you didn't have to drop the engine to do a tune up/maintenance, here is the access panel behind the seats:
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn319/jpl20/belts_zpsurpbtdar.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jpl20/media/belts_zpsurpbtdar.jpg.html)

Here is the engine:
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn319/jpl20/680_zpsums8xnf0.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jpl20/media/680_zpsums8xnf0.jpg.html)

And the interior:
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn319/jpl20/rfnn_zpsjikqe6pt.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jpl20/media/rfnn_zpsjikqe6pt.jpg.html)

BrianACR
11-25-2016, 05:55 PM
Beautiful car. I love that color combo.