PDA

View Full Version : An easy clutch and dead pedal mod to give you more room

wtknght1
12-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Here's an easy fix for you taller folks to give you more room beside the clutch...and to move the dead pedal further away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR6p7Tq2uk8

TurboTA
12-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Nice, have you driven it much since? How is it?

wtknght1
12-09-2015, 06:43 PM
I've put about 100 miles on it since I did that and it is perfect for me now...love it!!

ViperPete
12-09-2015, 09:21 PM
Neat idea removing the dead pedal track.

I don't know if having the clutch that close to the brake pedal is such a good idea though.

ViperSmith
12-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Ripping my dead petal out was my first mod lol

Vprbite
12-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Good idea. It's kinda the exact mirror image of what I had to do.

Do you find the clutch feels too close to the brake pedal or do you not really even notice it? Our pedals are wonky compared to other cars anyway you have to be in the viper mind set to drive it anyway. the pedals feel different to any other car I have ever driven.

SilveRT8
12-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Great post !
Will try that

wtknght1
12-10-2015, 06:42 AM
I haven't had any issues hitting the brake accidentally. I have a size 12 shoe and the pedals are now perfect...with either street shoes or my racing boots.

FrgMstr
12-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Many thanks! My big ass size 13 feet are fine with "driving shoes" on but with an everyday shoe or boot, I have some fitment issues between the clutch pedal and dead pedal. Will give this a try for sure on my Gen IV.

wtknght1
12-10-2015, 07:16 PM
And if you're interested, there's 1-1/8th (1.125) of an inch between the clutch pedal and brake; and 4-3/4 (4.75) inches between the head of the (clutch) bolt and the outer wall (where the dead pedal track used to be).:cool:

kaamacat
12-11-2015, 07:45 AM
As a side note.... I pulled my Clutch pedal and did two mods. First was to round the 45deg lower sides just a bit, and the
second was to bevel underneath (far left) edges so... if you had larger footwear on, when pulling up from the dead-pedal
position if for some reason and you did catch the clutch on the way-up, you'd not "catch" on any edges. Shoes will pass
by the smooth beveled edges cleanly.

wtknght1
12-11-2015, 04:03 PM
I don't notice it at all. I've raced many different cars to include several vipers with different pedal offsets, so it's no big deal to me to get used to a new set up. Moving that clutch pedal over was just perfect for me. I have plenty of room to move my foot over to the dead pedal now and I haven't done a clutch-brake simultaneous step since I moved it over.

With the Vettes I've raced, I've always had to modify the brake pedal (make it closer to the gas) to do a proper heel-toe. The Viper brake is set up just right for me.

The only issues I had with the pedals on this car were/was the room between the clutch, and the dead pedal too close to the pedals and the driver. It's great now though!! And it's very easy to revert to the default location of the pedals because I didn't cut or modify anything. If you don't like it, simple put the clutch back where it was and bolt it back. You can do the same with the dead pedal track and locations too.

And for you fellow weight -conscience racers out there, since I took off the track and most of those wasted bolts, I saved about 1 lb of weight. ;) lol

SilveRT8
12-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Just did those 2 mods and it just feels like a good improvement without any drawbacks.
Dead pedal pushes back 1 1/4" if it was already in the rearmost position on the track, I realized that mine was not so it is now 2" further back. I was able to move my seat forward 3/4" and recline it a bit more to get better headroom and visibility through the windshield.
Moving the clutch pedal over to the right did not interfere with the brake pedal at all and feels absolutly normal, with lots more room on the dead pedal side.
All done in 5 minutes and reversible. Thanks for the tip WTKNGHT1, Win-win all the way !

wtknght1
12-12-2015, 02:14 AM
Just did those 2 mods and it just feels like a good improvement without any drawbacks.
Dead pedal pushes back 1 1/4" if it was already in the rearmost position on the track, I realized that mine was not so it is now 2" further back. I was able to move my seat forward 3/4" and recline it a bit more to get better headroom and visibility through the windshield.
Moving the clutch pedal over to the right did not interfere with the brake pedal at all and feels absolutly normal, with lots more room on the dead pedal side.
All done in 5 minutes and reversible. Thanks for the tip WTKNGHT1, Win-win all the way !

No sweat! Glad it worked for you too!

Vprbite
12-13-2015, 05:48 AM
Do you find the clutch feels too close to the brake pedal or do you not really even notice it? Our pedals are wonky compared to other cars anyway you have to be in the viper mind set to drive it anyway. the pedals feel different to any other car I have ever driven.

I couldn't agree more with this statement ^^^^ But worth the effort.

Coming from a GEN II I thought the dead pedal was one of the greatest improvements Dodge made on the GEN V. Well maybe not the greatest but it works for me.[/QUOTE]

We had to remove my dead pedal so my clutch pedal could go all the way to the side of the footwell, and we put a wing in the right side so I don't slip off towards the brake pedal. So I don't get to use the dead pedal that dosge so thoughtfully added. Oh well, we hit a home run on my custom designed pedal. Haven't missed a single shift in 16k miles in less than 3 years.

I wish I could use the dead pedal but it's just one of the concessions I had to make.

Good idea on beveling the pedal so as not to catch your foot. A lot of people with bigger feet might benefit from that.

USCDOC
12-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Here's an easy fix for you taller folks to give you more room beside the clutch...and to move the dead pedal further away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR6p7Tq2uk8

Thanks for the advice and video!