PDA

View Full Version : "Storage on showroom floor"

I Bin Therbefor
12-19-2013, 09:45 AM
I've been keeping my eye on a Gen V at a local dealer showroom floor. It's been there several months now. What should I be concerned about on a mechnical level? What should the dealer have been doing to keep the mechanical condition OK?:confused:

MoparBoyy
12-19-2013, 09:57 AM
nothing really.. charge the battery is about it. if they put the car in 'Hibernation mode' they you are even better off. they knew that the Viper would be sitting in someones garage for months during winters.

the showroom is prolly one of the best climate controlled garages out there!

ViperSmith
12-19-2013, 10:24 AM
There is nothing you need to worry about, maybe battery needs to be charged

City
12-19-2013, 10:27 AM
If the car remains in one spot, the tires might become a bit flatted. Usually they'll work out with miles.

ViperTony
12-19-2013, 10:39 AM
I'd be more concerned if the seats were farted on. But that's just me.

City
12-19-2013, 10:47 AM
LOL. I just sit here and shake my head from side to side.

The_Greg
12-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Yeah, besides farting and potential scratches from grubby hands, you have virtually no damage that can occur from that time period of storage on a brand new car. Even tire flat-spotting is not going to be a problem.

pastohio
12-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Sometimes the sill plates can get scratched up...as people get in and out...battery is also critical, if run down too far, the battery could be bad and not hold a good charge thereafter...my $.02

I Bin Therbefor
12-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks

I was worried by two things. The potential damage to rubbing surfaces when starting the car because all the lub has drained from the surfaces and possible pressure welding of rubbing surfaces due to the lack of lubricant. This car has effectively been in storage as several have pointed out.

Do I need to disconnect the ignition and spin the motor with the starter a couple of times to get the surfaces lubricated before starting?

slitherv10
12-19-2013, 02:36 PM
I think your over emphasizing the situation. You have to remember that these engines would take a lot more than a few months of not starting to break down or wear down for that matter. These things are bullet proof. I am sure there will be no problem with the car when its bought. Other than the obvious stated here already about the battery. I would have them change the battery to a brand new one before I picked it up for sure. I do that with all my new cars in the past.

I would be worried about the bed bugs or ticks that people leave behind..:monkeyleft: <<< Monkey scratching the ticks

ViperTony
12-19-2013, 05:08 PM
LOL. I just sit here and shake my head from side to side.

I'm sorry, I know it was crass of me but I couldn't help myself. I'll be good.

MoparBoyy
12-19-2013, 05:11 PM

i know of a gen 5 with 2 miles on it that got farted in... prolly cause i had hooters for lunch.

sparkrn
12-19-2013, 06:26 PM
i know of a gen 5 with 2 miles on it that got farted in... prolly cause i had hooters for lunch.

Hooters sells Food??????????:dropdev:

SLViper
12-19-2013, 07:40 PM
5 year-100k Warranty ! What is there to worry about?

The_Greg
12-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Buy it, fire it up, and let the rear tires melt your worries away. Vipers don't need engine rebuilds every 30K miles (the word 'majors' isn't popular around these forums like it is on Ferrari forums)! They are robust and if they can handle all the racing and beating people put them through, they will handle a couple months of inactivity. Some of the best advice I got when I was buying a used Viper was this, "Viper engines are not new technology. They still use pushrod technology from the 60's! People should not be scared of Vipers with high mileage because not only is this technology perfected but Vipers are extremely easy to work on as well!"

It's my understanding that your worries about rubbing is a very old school of thought - when oil quality wasn't where it is today. Where engine materials and tolerances weren't possible to what we have today. Its almost 2014 - we don't have flying cars but we certainly have ones that can sit for a while without damage occurring to them :)

Seriously, you have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't even worry about the battery!

boostsaves
12-20-2013, 01:27 PM
My GTS sat for a while in the showroom. Starts right up, good battery, and she runs good!

City
12-20-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm sorry, I know it was crass of me but I couldn't help myself. I'll be good.
Oh no, please don't! I may be shaking my head, but I'm laughing the whole time. We need more chuckles here for sure.

johniew398
12-20-2013, 01:50 PM
I don't think you have anything to worry about since the car is still sitting on the showroom floor.

intense
12-20-2013, 08:43 PM

But Vipers are stored under glass. No ones' allowed to sit in or touch them :p.